• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Video Games Hot Takes

Assassin's Creed has fallen from grace. Massively. Is that a hot take?

Assassin's Creed has fallen from grace. Massively. Is that a hot take?
Imo it never had "grace" in the first place, not to say it was never good but it's Ubisoft we're talking about (there's a reason they killed their own mascot aka Rayman and still happily parade his corpse).

@SuperStar
The-Last-Of-Us-Abby-Golf-Club.jpg

She's coming for you.

NRS games have some pretty bad fighting games in the AAA space imo. The fact that injustice matchups boils down to range spamming, or how the clash system just results in whoever has the highest meter wins and it can be triggered at complete random in a middle of a combo (essentially punishing anyone who tries to combo since they don't gain meter as much as those who get hit in these games), or the fact MK11 removes any form of risk reward options with the offensive and defensive meter instead of the normal meter system it had in MK9 and 10 alongside fatal blows being bullshit alongside Crushing Blows, alongside NRS being so bad at balancing the game Sheeva broke the meta and it took a casual streamer with a big following to bully the company to nerf Sheeva as opposed to their core fans says a lot of how out of touch they are with their fans.

I don't think I've ever felt such a high over a AAA game being trashed on since Battlefront 2's lootbox debacle.

NRS games have some pretty bad fighting games in the AAA space imo. The fact that injustice matchups boils down to range spamming, or how the clash system just results in whoever has the highest meter wins and it can be triggered at complete random in a middle of a combo (essentially punishing anyone who tries to combo since they don't gain meter as much as those who get hit in these games), or the fact MK11 removes any form of risk reward options with the offensive and defensive meter instead of the normal meter system it had in MK9 and 10 alongside fatal blows being bullshit alongside Crushing Blows, alongside NRS being so bad at balancing the game Sheeva broke the meta and it took a casual streamer with a big following to bully the company to nerf Sheeva as opposed to their core fans says a lot of how out of touch they are with their fans.
This is why i feel they have learned their mistakes with MK1, so far it's pretty amazing....outside from the movements but that can be fixed lel

Staying on topic, I don't think turn-based combat is an outdated and bad system, people see it that way because many RPGs use it as a subtitute when they don't know how to make good, compelling combat. I love a fuckton of games made on RPGmaker, and shower pretty much every single one of them with praise, but the worst thing about all of them is that their turn-based combat sucks a high amount of balls. The only good one that I can remember is the one from the LISA series, where you can do all sorts of things, like making a character's attack stronger by tapping the right keyboard inputs, or succeeding in a QTE that can increase the attack's damage as well as make it crit, and don't even get me started on some of the crazy combos you can pull off with the wide cast of unique party members you can recruit.

A good, semi-recent example of turn-based combat done right can be found in the Fear and Hunger series. Instead of you having to fight multiple opponents and having access to insane AoE abilities that can end a fight in a single turn, the limbs of your target are the opponents, and sometimes whatever AoE stuff you got on hand may not be enough to kill them (and don't forget the AoE stuff might be explosives, which you'll need for making shortcuts and the like). Pretty much almost everything in the game can end your run, so you constantly have to employ all sorts of math and strategy in every fight. Maybe I should chop off the arm holding the sharp weapon, because I'd rather take blunt attacks from the enemy's other hand instead of having to deal with bleeding and infections. Maybe I should try and hope both my character and their party member succesful cut their legs so they can lose balance and we can have an easier time beheading them. Maybe I should just straight up chop off their dick for the funnies? Maybe I should try blinding them with this specific item or ability so they miss their bullshit attack?

This, combined with the Coin Toss system, can make many of the fights very intense and on your toes. The coin toss thing doesn't matter as much in Termina, because pretty much every enemy telegraphs when they're going to use their bullshit attack, but it's a very important skill to learn in the first game, as many enemies don't do that, and some of their attacks can't be guarded (guarding makes you entirely bypass the coin toss thing, as your character just dodges the killing blow), so you might end up wasting a turn that could result in your victory and your run still going.

@Shmooply turn base can work so long as you put more effort into the combat beyond taking a turn, it’s what made Divinity Original sin look dope as hell since it seems they’re doing a lot more with the turn based combat to make the game fun, and I’ve played games that have boring turn based and a built in auto battle function, and said auto battle literally lets you solo like 90% of the game

i still think rpgs should stop having combat if they cant make it good or at least satisfying and they should focus on strenghtening the other parts

Back