• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Video Games of the 21st Century

I hate Resident Evil 5. It had one of the highest budget in video game history until that point and yet they could barely evolve from RE4. The gameplay is slightly better, graphics as well, but it doesn’t do anything incredible to justify that budget. Even RE6 had more soul than that.
Very much true, the slight quality of life upgrades from RE4 to 5 is great, but overall the experience is so dogshit. I hate the inventory system of 5 so much, its such a hassle to go through and of course the infamous AI Sheva exists.

This game is only worth going through if you have a co op partner by your side, if that condition is fulfilled I can say RE5 is quite fun. Me and Unknown played through it a month ago and it was a blast lol

BRUH this shit sucks. 9 slots and a fuckton of guns and ammo that should stack more. Hate it.
when im stacked as shit and realize i can't combine the herb i found somewhere because the inventory is full and dogshit
vycenx-twdgif-andrew-lincoln-the-walking-dead-twd-gif-5356980651794342555.gif

This is my list of favorite games of all time, and by no means it’s in order because that’s actually not possible for the top 5 games in the list.

Bloodborne

Bloodborne was my first soulsgame and I played it during the pandemic, also it was the first time I had a current gen console, was a PC gamer only back then. When I first played Bloodborne I didn’t even know what soulsgames were and why the heck this game was so difficult. I was used to games that hold my hand and tell where to go. I even remember going to Gascoigne and was like “finally a cutscene in this game” lol. Anyway I dropped the game but quickly came back, played for a good 300 hours and got all achievements.

The themes, atmosphere and combat in Bloodborne are still unmatched imo, atmosphere mainly. The DLC bosses are one of the best in the entirety of From Soft’s catalogue. Not even From Soft could replicate any of these qualities in the other games imo.

Witcher 3

It’s actually one of the first games I played on my PS4 back in 2020, I was playing it on my PC but the game was heavy and I was playing it on low and 720p.

Witcher 3’s was one of the few PT-BR dubbed games back in the day and this was something that pushed me into playing 300+ hours of it, and the sense of exploration, finding caves, structures and dungeons was something I’ve never felt before. The way CDPR made small quests having different outcomes depending on your actions is something they couldn’t even replicate on their following game.

Characters are excellent, there is no way you play the game and not like Geralt, Lambert or Vessemir. The combat was decent, not the best part of the game sure, but still decent.

Story was great, never felt like it was dragging.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Arguably THE BEST one I’ve played solely because of the amount of attention to detail that contributed to the immersion of the game.

Story, characters, world, heck, even the slow paced gameplay was something I liked, and I’m a fan of fast paced gameplay.

The world is the best one I’ve seen so far in gaming. Dozens and dozens of random events, animal behaviors and AI, physics, mini games… all of this makes it living and believable.

Graphics wise the game still holds amazingly well despite being a 6 years old game, and I’m pretty sure that a bump in resolution and FPS can make the overall experience even better for current gen consoles.

Counter Strike

Unlike many of you who has some kind of hate toward online games, I cannot simply ignore the game I have the most hours on, and the one that made me happy the most.

If you didn’t play CS on a lan house back in the day, I’m sorry, you missed one of the best experiences in gaming ever.

I don’t think one should ignore online games in a list of best games of all time, these games have big communities that are very active and keep gaming as whole very alive.

I like the sense of playing against other people, the sensation of frustration when I miss a bullet or a spray, the sensation of gratification when I hit a bullet, a spray, get a knife key. As the developers themselves say: “Because it takes minutes to understand and a lifetime to master, and the more you invest the greater your returns. The feeling when everything comes together never gets old. Whether it’s a one tap, a perfect spray, a new piece of util, an ace, or a clutch; it’s Counter-Strike.

Elden Ring

Elden Ring is a generational game, the open world design, sense of exploration, combat, boss fights… they excel at everything. The first time you get down at that one elevator on limgrave forest, holy ****.

I honestly cannot explain much why I like Elden Ring, it’s just everything I like in one game: great combat, great open world, great fights and great exploration.

Resident Evil 7

One of my first PC games since I got my fist “gaming pc”. The atmosphere in this game matches Bloodborne imo and the way they work with horror is something I haven’t seen in any other media, movies, tv shows, there isn’t anything equal.

If you talk about modern horror, you have to include Resident Evil 7. They are the STANDARD for horror imo.

Unfortunately, the final section of the game is not as good as the mansion, but still an excellent game regardless. My favorite Resident Evil game ever.

I’m probably forgetting a lot of games because whenever I list the games I like I forget a few.

Last edited:
I bought RE5 but because it was a bundle with 4 and 6, and was hella cheap as well. I had fun with the game but I can clearly understand why it slowly killed the franchise.

But man my greatest criticism is the lack of inovation and how they barely evolved from 4. The jump from 3 to 4 is way bigger obviously mainly because of the console gap, but the jump between 4 and 6 is what should’ve happened with 4 and 5. Way better combat and graphics.

Minecraft is quite literally like, the only game to ever exist that can be enjoyed by everyone. That alone deserves it to be called one of the greatest games of all time. Add that with fun gameplay, banger soundtrack, and quite literally infinite potential to do anything with redstone (seriously, how tf did they code a whole ass Pokemon game using only command blocks?), and I think its unquestionable.

I'm a Minecraft liker but that's a pretty insane statement. It's just the bestselling game.

I have a hard time saying it's one of the best games of all time. There's so little actual content to it, and if the argument is that it has the framework to do a lot of other things within it, then that goes for others that just aren't as popular. So we're left with popularity alone as the metric? That sucks. It didn't invent the ideas present within it (it self admittedly is descended from Dwarf Fortress, which itself is descended from even older games), it really only brought that to 3D and made it palpable to a young audience, whereas these older games never held your hand on anything.

I'm in need of lighter conversation and had a pretty good discussion about this last night.

NB4sDao.png

These would be my suggestions for the best video games made from the year 2000 onward. Not necessarily the ones I love the most (can't say I'm a huge fan of Breath of the Wild, and World of Warcraft has long since populated the gutter), but the best ones in general- most important, most boundary-pushing, most contributing.

I suppose the purpose of this thread is to say "discuss" and offer your pointers. So, do that. Or don't, I ain't a cop.

Notable Exclusions
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: Possibly some of the best writing in video games, but one feels that there are many games that could be praised for their writing that were also excluded. The game itself is pretty good but not incredible.
  • Minecraft: This and Skyrim are, in my eyes, persistent due to their modular nature. Base game Minecraft is decent enough but pales in comparison to Terraria, I feel, and Terraria was already a hazy add.
  • LIMBO: Masterclass in terms of setting tone, spawned a genre of games behind it. Hard to ignore.
  • Rimworld: The other Dwarf Fortress alumni, notable for pushing colony simulation as a genre to where it is (considering Dwarf Fortress was super inaccessible until recently).
  • Left 4 Dead: Notable in pushing multiplayer PvE experiences forward, objectively great.
  • Half-Life 2: Another Valve one. Unique in its worldbuilding and creativity in terms of mechanics, especially for the time.
These aren't my favorites, nor are they in order (I can say that Dark Souls is probably the top and Monster Hunter: World is probably the bottom). So. Y'know. Talk, what are you unreasonably upset about not being included.
I would probably toss in Hearts of Iron IV and Civilization V just for the endless mod support, and the dirth of different gameplay scenarios each of them have on offer.
A Hat in Time would probably be my favorite 3D Platformer just in part due to it having some interesting multiplayer ideas and not being tied to a company that'd make me feel wretched for promoting.
I guess if I had to pick something in a retro genre it'd be The King of Fighters XIII. Seriously that game looks stunning, and it's impressive that all the sprites were rotoscoped from 3D models. Also there's quite a bit to do and customize in game. Frogun can also qualify for this category.
I'm struggling to think of a good free game and that's rather problematic to me given the fact that there are people here who'd seriously suggest a gacha or gambling game for this spot. the Chex Quest Remake I guess can fill this spot in the mean time, just a goofy fun FPS romp the Unreal Engine with a mode lifted from the CoD: Zombies games, and it's free.

Omori is pretty good.
Omori is good in a narrative sense, mechanically it doesn't do tons new. In terms of games worthy of mention for narrative, there's a shitload of competition.

I would probably toss in Hearts of Iron IV and Civilization V just for the endless mod support, and the dirth of different gameplay scenarios each of them have on offer.
A Hat in Time would probably be my favorite 3D Platformer just in part due to it having some interesting multiplayer ideas and not being tied to a company that'd make me feel wretched for promoting.
I guess if I had to pick something in a retro genre it'd be The King of Fighters XIII. Seriously that game looks stunning, and it's impressive that all the sprites were rotoscoped from 3D models. Also there's quite a bit to do and customize in game. Frogun can also qualify for this category.
I'm struggling to think of a good free game and that's rather problematic to me given the fact that there are people here who'd seriously suggest a gacha or gambling game for this spot. the Chex Quest Remake I guess can fill this spot in the mean time, just a goofy fun FPS romp the Unreal Engine with a mode lifted from the CoD: Zombies games, and it's free.
As a Grandscale enjoyer myself, I dunno if Civ has done much in terms of advancement since the first installment (which was before the 21st century). If I had to champion a game from that genre being on the list, I'd go Stellaris (also good mod support, if that's part of your criteria). Will say that Banjo-Tooie is a 3D platformer that came out in 2000, would be my choice from that genre (although I wouldn't consider it a contender for the list). Hat in Time is good though.

What about Half Life?
Honorable mention.

Looking through the list, the only one I'd cross out is WoW because of the mere existence of BFA and Shadowlands, I have very strong opinions about the stories of those expansions, and I hear Shadow's gameplay was actually awful.

So picking ONLY FROM GAMES I HAVE PLAYED FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES,(hi Elden Ring) this is my top 5

1. Darksiders 2; No points for guessing it's this game at least somewhere on my list. A story I adore, puzzles that are almost always competently done, and probably the melee combat system I've enjoyed the most.
  2. Terraria; DO I EVEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN?
  3. Total War: Warhammer III; if you've glanced at me over discord, you've probably seen this one being played at least once. As it turns out, I like games I have to (sort of) think in! And this happens to be my game of choice
  4. Super Meat Boy; This game was designed by sadists for masochists! I'm both, so I've completed the game. Good ass platforming I'll tell ye
  5. Overwatch 1; Notice that it's 'sequel' is not mentioned. This is the game that holds the record for holding me playing it for the longest time, funnily enough, put a good enough game in front of my face, and I'll play the **** out of it!

Curious as to what games you hold highly for their narrative, personally.
I think I already mentioned it here, but I'd reiterate that 21st century wise, I think RDR2 and Disco Elysium did incredible for modern examples, and I'd even extend this to Slay the Princess.

Back