• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Using Superhero names for My Hero Academia profile?

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Okay, so I legitimately don't know the reason for this, or maybe it is just a coincidence with no reason whatsoever, but the My Hero Academia verse uses the character's real names instead of their superhero names for their profiles and this is extremely annoying for a casual fan (such as me).

Like, I can understand that the Heroes in Training not being listed as such due to them barely being called by their superheroes name, but I don't recall characters like Tsunagu Hakamata and Kugo Sakamata being refered by these names in the anime, or at least not more than their actual superhero names. Alongside that, it is confusing as well, and basically makes it impossible for new users to ever come across these pages.

It was probably done for consistency's sake, I myself feel a lot of the characters are more recognizable by their hero names

I think it is definitely a better idea to use their real names instead of their hero names.

If you want it to be easier for people to search for them, all you need is to create a redirect page from their Hero name to their page.

@Andy; for consistency and because it is actually their names which just makes the most sense to me to be the page names.

I edited my post up above to explain how to make it easier to search for the pages.

I disagree, those are unrecognizable to the characters and make them impossible to find. For perspective, does changing the All Might page's name to Toshinori Yagi make it better? Far from it, it is basically making it impossible for other users to find the verse, and just adding time in renaming links for the convienience of others.

Damage3245 said:
@Andy; for consistency and because it is actually their names which just makes the most sense to me to be the page names.

I edited my post up above to explain how to make it easier to search for the pages.
By that logic Superman and Batman should be renamed to Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne in all their pages. Plus All Might isn't named Toshinori and Mr. Compress was literally renamed by Repp when I used his real name, so it isn't even consistent

@Andy; I think it would be better if the MHA profiles you mentioned were renamed to their true names tbh.

And it isn't impossible at all for users to find them. All you'd need is a redirect, plus there's the verse page which lists every character.

That's just unnecessary. We in general list superheroes by their hero names and while we obviously can make exceptions when it's appropriate (ie when their real name is more identifiable) we should use them when it isn't

Their hero names are just an alias. This is just my perspective, but using real names where possible makes the most sense to me. If you did a search for "Gang Orca" now in the search bar, it's still going to come up with the guys page.

Also a thing to note is that no other verse has this bizarre naming convention across the entire wiki. In terms of Aesthetics, Convienience and Recognition has far more important than Consistency, as this is a indexing wiki, not a verse wiki.

@Zark2099; I wouldn't expect every verse on the entire wiki to have the same naming conventions since many of the profiles are made by different people.

What does Aesthetics have to do with it?

And I hardly think using the actual, literal names of the characters is a bizarre naming convention.

And that means nothing. What the title of the page is depends more on what a character is commonly known as, that's why most superheroes and villains don't have their actual names there, if a character's actual name isn't very recognizable but their hero name is, then that should be the title, making it a redirect is pointless

@Andy; the redirect is so that people can still search for the page and be able to find it easily.

Well, how is the same not the case for the My Hero Academia verse? There are still profiles like Twice, All For One, Mr. Compress, and many others that blatantly break the so called naming convention because the people making said profiles weren't aware of these rules, or just didn't bother, and thus either increase the staff's work in fixing these names or making it look bizarre how some profiles use the superhero names while the others use the real name

I assumed the reason for consistency was aesthetics, and argued for that

@Zark2099; because there wasn't a "hard naming convention". Not one worth enforcing at least, unless we're going to make it a rule?

Also, some profiles were likely created before the real names of the characters were revealed. We don't even have All For One's full name.

If I had the power, I'd happily update all of the MHA profiles to a single naming convention. Wouldn't take long.

Damage3245 said:
@Andy; the redirect is so that people can still search for the page and be able to find it easily.
As I have said several times, using the hero names or more commonly known aliases of characters for their pages has always been fine. There is just no reason to use a redirect when there is no reason to name the characters by their real names in the first place, it's just making things complicated for the sake of making them complicated

I don't agree that it makes things complicated by any means. The profiles are still easy to find by searching for them, or by looking in the verse page.

I'd rather not have Izuku's profile renamed to be Deku just because he's called that a lot in the series.

Even if it's not complicated, it's still utterly pointless and harping on things that have never been a problem when naming profiles

I'm not saying that naming characters by a well-known alias is an inherent problem, I just don't think it's the most preferable option if the characters full name is available to us.

I'm not suggesting we need to change the entire wiki over this; but I think the profiles as they are currently are fine.

Damage3245 said:
I'd rather not have Izuku's profile renamed to be Deku just because he's called that a lot in the series.
Like I just said, we can make exceptions when it's appropriate. Deku is a common way to refer to the character but he's still very much recognizable as Izuku. This is for characters whose aliases are more well known

Damage3245 said:
I'm not saying that naming characters by a well-known alias is an inherent problem, I just don't think it's the most preferable option if the characters full name is available to us.
If it's not an inherent problem, and having the full names still require measures to make things easier for viewers, then there's not much sense in rejecting the use of full names. It's not like a section to put their actual names in doesn't exist if people are interested

So should we redirect the superhero names to their current civilian names, or the other way around?

Well, I've already created a couple of redirects of their superhero names to their current profiles.

That option requires the least amount of work.

I could easily create some redirects for the remaining profiles if that's fine.

I suppose that seems like an acceptable solution, yes. Thank you for the help.

@Damage

Are you willing to create the remaining redirects?

Back