• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Prime All Might Multiplier - Possible Discussion Thread Rule Addition After?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MHA MANGA SPOILERS AHEAD

Alright, so just like the Navel Laser, one of the most hotly debated MHA subjects needs to be put to bed officially.

All Might’s over 300 punches against the USJ Nomu.

This feat is quite infamous so I feel it needs no reintroduction, but I’m going to lay it down anyway.

The Feat

In order to save his students, Toshinori Yagi engages with the USJ Nomu, and finds that it’s special ability, alongside the baseline regeneration/physical stats that all of the perfected Nomu possess, is a Shock Absorption Quirk.

This Quirk operates on a set amount of damage: The Nomu can absorb any amount of blows until that set amount is reached.

This is shown several times with the Nomu being almost completely impervious to blunt force damage, even from All Might himself.

As counted here (even counting Deku’s 5% Smash), the Nomu withstands 5 hits before All Might’s punch rush begins. For these 5 hits, the Nomu is noticeably unmoved or even fazed, as the blows it takes are absorbed into its body.

When the actual rush and exchange of punches begins, All Might claims what we already know: thus Quirk is Absorption, not Negation. This means that the Nomu is accumulating the energy of these punches, and the more energy it takes, the closer he gets to breaking through. Knowing this, All Might decides to continue his attacks, constantly hitting the Nomu at, per Deku’s words, “over 100% of his power,” referring to All Mights “Plus Ultra” ability/Awakened Power.

Unlike prior threads, I will not be attempting to use any “120%” logic or “hysterical strength.” Going forward, let us just assume that All Might is using his full force punches like any normal person.

Despite this, by the time All Might brute forces through the Nomu’s absorption Quirk, the Nomu withstands over 300 punches before finally reaching its absorption limit. This, accurately, means that the Nomu could theoretically tank 305 blunt hits from a High 6-C character comparable to All Might, bare minimum, before its limit is reached. This in itself is naturally recognized.

The next part is not.

The Statement

When he finally defeats the Nomu, All Might comments on his power, comparing himself to his Prime. As shown in the initial set of pictures, his exact quote is as follows:

“Yep. I’m slowing down. In my heyday, five of those punches would’ve been enough. But that was over 300 hits just now.

This is the crux of what many assume to be a 60x multiplier between All Might vs the Nomu and Prime All Might. A credible source (the main himself) is stating that, in order to overcome Nomu’s absorption, he needed over 300 hits. But I’m his Prime, he would only need 5 hits.

Naturally, this lends itself to video game logic.

The Nomu’s health bar can take over 300 hits from All Might before being depleted, but would only take 5 hits from Prime All Might. Putting this into an energy perspective, this would equate Prime All Might’s punches to, you guessed it, 60 times stronger than his weakened self.

Naturally, arguments can be raised against this multiplier for multiple reasons, and I admit to not knowing them all.

The point of this thread is, therefore, to bring up and explain all possible debunks or affirmations for this multiplier.

I will begin with a set of arguments I know might get brought up but that I find fault with.

Argument 1: Outlier

This is the most common argument that can be found with any multiplier. The logic of simply multiplying a characters strength by ANY amount can lead to inflated values that are not indicative of the actual character, or Verse’s, strength.

What I have issue with, however, is that the main proof of Outlier doesn’t really apply to Prime All Might. As far as we can tell, since we have yet to see anything suggesting otherwise, All Might in his Prime was the pinnacle of the verse in terms of physical might. His statistical advantage over others was how he became the Number One hero, and even in his climactic battle with All For One, his strength was so immense that be could crush the villains head into a bloody stain by the end of their fight.

Nothing actually points to Prime All Might being drastically stronger than other characters, even to an insane degree as 60x, as being “inconsistent.”

And in fact, the second argument I’ll be discussing actually affirms this logic.

Argument 2: Tomura Shigaraki

This is, in fact, the most important argument either FOR or AGAINST the multiplier being suggested.

Post Surgery Tomura Shigaraki is, by every account possible, the same as Prime All Might. His stats, each and every one of them, are stated equivalent to that of All Might’s in his prime.

Tomura Shigaraki is the same strength as Prime All Might.

He has the same durability as All Might

He has the same speed as Prime All Might

Shigaraki is the most perfect version of Prime All Might that we could ever get besides seeing the man himself.

As such, how does Shigaraki stack up if we slapped a 60x multiplier badge onto him? I’d say quite well.

DURABILITY

First up: Prime AM’s durability. This is the easiest and hardest to understand, as well as the main point for a potential 60x multiplier being thrown away.

Througout the entire fight with Tomura Shigaraki, the worlds strongest villain… he takes no damage. He absolutely, without any argument, takes completely minimal damage from the heroes. Until Bakugo undergoes a second Awakening, Shigaraki isn’t pressed in the slightest.

Allow me to repeat: Shigaraki does not take any true damage from any hero until Bakugo’s Second Awakening.

Against Bakugo’s Howitzer Impact: Cluster? The only damage he takes is burns, the force itself didn’t even move him.

Against Nejire’s blasts? He tanks them with no damage.

Against Suneater’s Plasma Cannon which INCLUDED Nejire’s blasts? He tanks it like it’s nothing and even mocks them about how he has All Might’s durability so that wouldn’t hurt him.

Mirko’s kicks? The same Mirko who can rip apart the bodies of Weakened AM characters with her kicks? He tanks them to the face and looks at her, asking “you’re that eager to get crunched?” even as her leg is still connected.

It is ONLY when Bakugo awakens and hits him in the face that Shigaraki claims he has taken any true damage whatsoever, and even then, he calls it a sting. In fact, it is only after internalizing “I just took damage” that Shigaraki, in his volatile, ever changing new body, begins to panic, which results in him “wobbling” after Mirko’s second kick to his face.

“What the…?! Did I just… stagger a little?! With this body?! That’s not possible, I haven’t felt real damage… No, wait… That last hit I took (referring to Second Awakening Bakugo)… that did… sting a little…”

After recognizing this, Shigaraki begins to stress himself out, begins to act afraid and even flinches back from Mirko’s determination. He even monologues on this further.

“Have I taken too much damage? No, none of its been that bad… I’m which case…When I panicked back there… was I… actually feeling threatens?! Me? Menaced by some background extra?!”

As shown in the final panel I posted, it’s stated the heroes “bested this form” due to his accumulated damage as well as stress. The actual “damage” portion, however, was inconsequential until Bakugo put that fear into him, especially considering his Quirks were suppressed by Erasure. His body’s strength is mental along with physical, especially due to the struggle between Shigaraki and AFO within.

This means that, durability wise, nothing that anyone did would have EVER done true damage to Shigaraki, and the only reason the damage began to “stack up” was because of Bakugo’s awakening putting fear into Shigaraki, enough fear that his body and mind freaked out. That they needed to evolve to compensate for his “perceived weakness.”

In a theoretical scenario where this is normal Prime All Might, and not a mentally damaged Shigaraki, no one would have survived. The damage, which Shigaraki claims is inconsequential and not real damage, would have been completely ignored by Prime AM. The only person to truly “hurt” him would be Bakugo’s Second Awakening, which has no scaling or pre-requisites on how strong it is. And even then, such a power was only regarded as a “sting” by Shigaraki.

To recap: Prime AM can take the most damage attacks and powerful hits from the strongest heroes around and it would not harm him. At best, their greatest, most powerful efforts (Plasma Cannon, Bakugo Howitzer Impact and Awakening) would cause him stings.

Durability being 60x them all? I can buy that, especially since many of them were increasing their power to do anything, which would have shortened the gap.

ATTACK POTENCY

This is very simple. Shigaraki brutalizes and one shots everyone.

There is not a single character that fought Shigaraki that could take a hit from him and survive. He can casually destroy their body parts, mangle their flesh, punch through their chests, overpower all of their efforts to stop him and even the mere air pressure of his attacks are enough to severely damage them.

In fact; the biggest argument against him being “out of this world stronger” is that when he ONE SHOTS them, they don’t die.

Here, after evolving to his new form, Shigaraki one shots every hero other than Best Jeanist and Mirio. Mirko and Tamaki get punched and go down instantly, and Nejire gets taken out just by Shigaraki throwing debris at her.

The argument is that “they didn’t get splattered therefore he can’t be that much stronger” which I actually find accurate. Given his track record of brutally mangling, dismembering, rending and tearing them apart, how could a direct punch to the face not just turn you to mush?

This backed up further by Mirko herself, someone weaker than the High Ends durability wise, NOT getting torn asunder in the same way a High End would. She should have looked exactly like a High End does after she kicks them, with a massive hole in her head or her entire top half punched away, but she somehow survives this enough to stand up shakily later. With everything set up, there are really only two options.

One: Shigaraki’s evolution lowered his attack power. Idk how accurate this would be, since every feat of strength from him outside of not killing these people is much more impressive than his prior feats. He can move all of UA with a jump, he causes massive debris with his punches, the whole nine yards, whereas before he mainly used his Growth fingers to attack and stuck to grappling and maiming people. So perhaps he is just weaker attack wise since his new form is based on “defense.”

Two: it’s simply PIS on how they lived. The same person that can tank all their attacks, laugh them off, rip through their chests and tear their arms off while being absurdly casual… can’t punch their heads off after getting even stronger and being bloodlusted? It doesn’t make any sense unless every time prior where he tore apart their bodies is ignored.

Either option, the main thing is the same: They do not scale to him. Sure, he didn’t splatter them across the ground, but he still one shot them. So regardless of beliefs, the running truth is that Prime All Might would also one shot every hero there. A single punch from him would logically rip through their chests and crush their hearts, similar to what happened with Bakugo.

Does that qualify for being 60x stronger? Idk, thats what the thread is for.

Note: It has been widely accepted that a 60x difference in strength is not enough to actually splatter someone, so that particular argument against his one shots is largely cut down.

CONCLUSION

Prime All Might is kinda tough.

The 60x multiplier has backing at the very least. It is not an idea with no merit nor is it as simple as claiming it an outlier. The best argumentation against it, I feel, are the logistics behind “Over 300 punches vs 5 punches.” The actual scaling and showings point to one truth: Prime All Might is unimaginably stronger than everyone else.

He could one shot them all, he can tank their strongest attacks with nothing more than scratches at best, and if he wishes, he could tear their bodies and limbs apart with the barest effort. He is the definitive top of the verse physically, and even his archenemy’s head was reduced to a stain against his might.

And so, this thread exists to debate and definitively decided once and for all: should we use a 60x multiplier or not.

If not, then we can finally move to have a discussion rule about it, since we have more than enough evidence now to pass a full blown judgment on such a thing, same as we did the Navel Laser.

VOTE 1: Validity of 60x multiplier

The options presented for the All Might vs Nomu statement are as follows:

1) Total Damage Limit

Shock Absorption operates like a “shield” that blocks all of All Might’s punches until the “shield” breaks (absorption limit met). In this scenario, the 60x multiplier is valid.
2) Per-Punch Limit

Shock Absorption operates like a “Defense Buff” that absorbs a certain amount of energy from All Might’s punches, up to a limit. When All Might goes “Plus Ultra” and begins to hit harder, that limit is exceeded allowing him to very slightly harm the Nomu. In this scenario, the 60x is invalid.

Note: Issues raised with this logic stem from the arbitrary “defense” given to the Nomu, which, when put to any degree of count, falls to easy manipulation over how much stronger 1 punch would be from another concerning Prime and Weakened All Might. It also creates a strange scenario wherein All Might could math out and equate the amount of force absorbed from his punches, and then compare that to his Prime, which in itself is incredibly strange given All Night’s character and knowledge. The “Per-Punch” argument is somewhat hard to qualify for these reasons. It is also problematic that this option doesn’t actually address or fix any of the problems present in the Total Energy option, and in fact introduces more of them from a scaling perspective. The inconsistency with feats vs statements also plagues this option in numerous ways, as though it removes the multiplier, it does not actually remove the issues still present without it.

Agree with 60x Multiplier validity (Nomu Absorption has total damage limit): 23 (ShigarakiShimura, DemonGodMitchAubin, TimmyTurnero, XSOULOFCINDERX, DaReaperMan, StorytellingDemonKing, Eseseso, Bruh, Mapl3Sy4up, Stryker861, Ayewale, Serlock_Holmes, Spinoirr, Grand_Astartes, BasedNecoScaler69, TheGodOfICE777, V999, Maverick_Zero_X, IdiosyncraticLawyer, CloverDragon03, HollowVanity, DarkDragonMedeus, Mazdoesstuff, )

Disagree with 60x multiplier (Nomu Absorption has per-punch limit): 5 (Damage3245, Qawsedf234, Metalballrun, Therefir, Mr_Bambu, )

Neutral: TheRustyOne,

VOTE 2: Usage of Two Heroes Graph

Something also brought up through discussion is this graph on All Might’s power from the Two Heroes movie.

This graph presents an alternative to using the 60x multiplier, as it shows All Might’s “Quirk numbers” during his weakest point (the fight with Nomu and beyond) to be around “3000 AP.” This is contrasted with his peak performance of slightly over “15,000 AP.” This lends us to believe that the difference between Prime and Weakened is 5x.

Usage of this graph is a topic that seems widely liked by members of the wiki, so this separate vote is present to show if, regardless of the 60x multiplier results, this graph should be accepted.

Agree with graph usage: Maitreya, Maverick_Zero_X, Spinoirr, Qawsedf234,

Disagree with graph Multiplier usage: Therefir,

Neutral: TheRustyOne,

Last edited:
My thoughts on it are the same as back when it was removed around five years ago as summarized by Qaws here and Therefir here.

It's never actually stated that All Might was 60x stronger in his Prime than his weakened self, it's being reasoned out of just by a comparison of the 300 punches number to 5 punches. We have Multiplier standards that say multipliers must come from direct statements, not be reasoned out from something else.

My thoughts on it are the same as back when it was removed around five years ago as summarized by Qaws here and Therefir here.

It's never actually stated that All Might was 60x stronger in his Prime than his weakened self, it's being reasoned out of just by a comparison of the 300 punches number to 5 punches. We have Multiplier standards that say multipliers must come from direct statements, not be reasoned out from something else.
I’m iffy on the multiplier itself and don’t mind a discussion rule for it, but I think this reasoning is incredibly faulty

I think most people that power scale can understand that 300 / 5 = 60. I really don’t like the flawed logic of “we need to be spoonfed everything”

Those two arguments don’t really address the current stance with Absorption. Qaws is correct in his counting, but the actual mechanics of it aren’t quite right.

Nomu’s absorption, as far as we know, stays the same until he hits the limit, at which point he can be punched normally and defeated. So if it takes one person 5 hits starting from full to do what another person took 300 hits to do, then I’m not seeing why that would debunk a multiplier.

As for Therefir, that argument doesn’t make much sense specifically because of how Shock Absorption works. It’s designed to take that amount of blunt force energy before it breaks, so even if your 60x him, as long as you’re hitting him with Shock attacks, he will absorb it completely. It’s a hax ability, stats don’t have much to do with it, at least not stated.

So yea, if the multiplier is applied, he would simply survive a one shot of that proportions due to his Quirk. Nomu’s personal durability isn’t really relevant about it. 4 of Prime AM’s punches would get absorbed, the 5th one would one shot Nomu probably like how Mirko one shot High Ends.

I’m iffy on the multiplier itself and don’t mind a discussion rule for it, but I think this reasoning is incredibly faulty

I think most people that power scale can understand that 300 / 5 = 60. I really don’t like the flawed logic of “we need to be spoonfed everything”
It's not 300 though, it's "over 300 punches" and it isn't as simple IMO as being told that 300 punches = this amount of power, so 5 punches = this amount of power x 60.

It's not 300 though, it's "over 300 punches" and it isn't as simple IMO as being told that 300 punches = this amount of power, so 5 punches = this amount of power x 60.
But why wouldn’t it be that simple? It’s the same person and the same power, he’s just weaker now. And he knows himself better than anyone.

It’s not like he’s breaking a structure either, it’s a direct “stat check” to use video game terms.

I mean that feels like we're just ignoring the obvious. It's clear that 300/5 = 60. Like it would be disingenuous to ignore that, it's pretty straightforward. There's no complex reasoning needed to get to the 60× multiplier, it's pretty direct. Like if someone said "It would have taken me 5 seconds to cross that distance in my prime but rn it took me 20" wouldn't we all agree that that person would be 4× faster in his prime? Is that really that hard to accept?

If I recall correctly, in Two Heroes, the graph that David had measuring Toshinori's "Quirk Power" displayed a 5x drop between his prime and his current power.

If I recall correctly, in Two Heroes, the graph that David had measuring Toshinori's "Quirk Power" displayed a 5x drop between his prime and his current power.
That graph, when put in the context of OFA, seems either inaccurate or lowballed. Despite reaching a “peak”, we still see highs and lows with AM’s Quirk Power, which shouldn’t be possible considering how his power works. He’s constantly stockpiling energy, so there being any dips is suspect unless it’s explained he reached a “peak” of some kind.

I’m pretty sure there were other reasons we don’t use it too, like the vagueness of Quirk Power.

That graph, when put in the context of OFA, seems either inaccurate or lowballed. Despite reaching a “peak”, we still see highs and lows with AM’s Quirk Power, which shouldn’t be possible considering how his power works. He’s constantly stockpiling energy, so there being any dips is suspect unless it’s explained he reached a “peak” of some kind.

I’m pretty sure there were other reasons we don’t use it too, like the vagueness of Quirk Power.
If he's constantly stockpiling power, then wouldn't he be stronger in his nomu fight than in his previous good health self?

If he's constantly stockpiling power, then wouldn't he be stronger in his nomu fight than in his previous good health self?

Had to grab the graph real quick, but two things on that:

1) He doesn’t HAVE OFA anymore when he fights Nomu. He has given it away to Deku, so he’s no longer accumulating power at all, on top of getting drastically weaker over the course of just a few weeks.

So he has no power to accumulate anymore. The actual ability is lost to him.

2) The injury he took to AFO, at the peak of his power, is a debilitating, ever increasing one. That injury crippled him so badly that the power he has, that he usually could call upon at any time, now had a timer placed on it that steadily went down as time went on, and his strength went with it.

Having lost one of his lungs and his intestines, the amount of power he can output has been hampered by his body’s declining health.

He can’t eat or breathe normally anymore, he’s ridiculously emaciated (just look at skeleton All Might), and his actual power is being chipped away as a result. He’s essentially losing more life than he is gaining power, as he IS still gaining power as seen on graph at times, it’s just his injury is outpacing it with plateaus of strength followed by sharp dips.

So while he should be accumulating energy and become stronger, his injury essentially kneecapped him on top of making him weaker.

And then vs USJ Nomu, he doesn’t even HAVE the ability anymore, on top of still dying, ON TOP of steadily losing what power he had. So he’s omega nerfed and has lost even the most basic functions of the power.

Also, the stockpiling of OFA comes from actually doing work. Fighting, training, things like that. Getting physically stronger increases the max power you have.

When he got injured, he stopped getting stronger. He couldn’t gain muscle mass, he was losing it. He couldn’t fight as much or as often as he wanted, and if he did try to do that, he just wound up hurting himself more and getting even weaker.

He essentially got put in an exact position that he couldn’t stockpile like the Quirk needs from him. Too injured to push his limits, unable to gain muscle mass, not getting stronger, and in a constant state of dying.

Then he gives away OFA and practically all the power he had got transferred to Deku, so against the Nomu, he’s barely working with scraps.

He’s constantly stockpiling energy, so there being any dips is suspect unless it’s explained he reached a “peak” of some kind.
For starters, Toshinori does get tired and needs energy to maintain his strength, evidently. There may be days where Toshinori had been pushing his limits and whittling away his power throughout work, or days where Toshinori was holding out, or days where he fought Toxic Chainsaw. The point is: at his absolute peak against All For One six years ago, Toshinori was returning 15,000+ AP, and in the current day, he is only returning around 3,000 AP, based on his "S-Pow Activity".
Firstly, I was wrong, the metric was "AP".
Whatever that means.
Secondly, it is clearly in reference to his physical performance, seeing as how David was running a "BDY SCAN".

WPbwIRK.png

finally putting that copy of mine to good use

Prime All Might being only 6 times stronger would explain why Shigaraki couldn't just splatter Mirko in one hit.

Shigaraki's massive arm has much more surface area than Mirko's feet, so perhaps that explains why his punch didn't destroyed her body.

I don't feel right treating this "Apex Form" Shigaraki as randomly weaker because that's never stated, nor does it makes any sense, or treating the fact that Mirko survived the hit as PIS.

Even during Shigaraki's fatal hit against Bakugo, you can see that Shigaraki was summoning spike-like growth, no wonder Bakugo's chest was punched through.

A 60x multiplier is insane no matter how you look at it, and would create more issues than it would solve (like Deku's One For All somehow becoming over 60x stronger over the course of 1 year, or 45% wearing down/cracking Iron Soles that can withstand kicks over 60 times stronger, and probably other issues I can't remember right now).

I've never touched MHA before and probably never will, but isn't the idea that just doing 60x more punches would be able to overcome a 60x AP gap just blatantly not how it works at all? Unless there's a type of time stop style damage stacking system involved, the amount of punches shouldn't be linearly counted as a multiplier like that, no?
Although if it does have a system like that, then it should be a very very clear cut yes on the multiplier I'd imagine.

For starters, Toshinori does get tired and needs energy to maintain his strength, evidently. There may be days where Toshinori had been pushing his limits and whittling away his power throughout work, or days where Toshinori was holding out, or days where he fought Toxic Chainsaw. The point is: at his absolute peak against All For One six years ago, Toshinori was returning 15,000+ AP, and in the current day, he is only returning around 3,000 AP, based on his "S-Pow Activity".

Whatever that means.
Secondly, it is clearly in reference to his physical performance, seeing as how David was running a "BDY SCAN".
I mean that just calls back to we don’t really know how this graph even relates back to the energy he puts into a punch.

AP is an unknown metric, as is S-Pow though I suppose it could mean Superpower maybe. There are other metrics being recorded too like what seems to be his calorie intake?

The statement by David are that his “Quirk numbers are decreasing” but that just seems vague as heck

I’m not OPPOSED to using the graph but I would at least like to know what all the number even correlate to.
Prime All Might being only 6 times stronger would explain why Shigaraki couldn't just splatter Mirko in one hit.

Shigaraki's massive arm has much more surface area than Mirko's feet, so perhaps that explains why his punch didn't destroyed her body.

I don't feel right treating this "Apex Form" Shigaraki as randomly weaker because that's never stated, nor does it makes any sense, or treating the fact that Mirko survived the hit as PIS.

Even during Shigaraki's fatal hit against Bakugo, you can see that Shigaraki was summoning spike-like growth, no wonder Bakugo's chest was punched through.

A 60x multiplier is insane no matter how you look at it, and would create more issues than it would solve (like Deku's One For All somehow becoming over 60x stronger over the course of 1 year, or 45% wearing down/cracking Iron Soles that can withstand kicks over 60 times stronger, and probably other issues I can't remember right now).
It would indeed explain that, and I find it a logical amount.

I also disagree with his Apex Form being weaker as it’s clearly stronger (feat wise) than his base state. Her surviving being PIS still seems plausible to me simply due to how he was doing them all with just his growths.

This scene of him almost ripping half of Bakugo’s face off because he swung his arm to break his wrist, as well as the ease with which he completely mangles his arm, lends to my point that a direct punch from him would do the same if not MORE damage. He also likely used that spike because of the distance Bakugo was from him, as well as the numerous people coming to try and divert him, so just cause he extended his reach with the growth into a spike doesn’t mean a straight hit with his fist wouldn’t do the same.

Deku’s OFA getting 60x stronger over a year… isn’t really a problem? Like he’s stockpiling the remains of AM’s power for over a year, fighting increasingly powerful foes, then goes on a 1 month solo rampage with no breaks or stopping. Any increase in power wouldn’t make sense if you just claim “he did it in a year.”

45% wearing down the shoes after a month of constant battle also shouldn’t really mean much since multiple factors would have done that. They’re not receiving care, they’re muddied and exposed to rain, and there’s the fact he has access to Faux 100% which would wear them down more if he constantly used it to get around. Over time, literally anything can happen. Also the iron soles are just weird in general for surviving literally everything he does with them.

Whatever that means.

Just make it a 5x multiplier between prime and current All Might as a safe lowball

I've never touched MHA before and probably never will, but isn't the idea that just doing 60x more punches would be able to overcome a 60x AP gap just blatantly not how it works at all? Unless there's a type of time stop style damage stacking system involved, the amount of punches shouldn't be linearly counted as a multiplier like that, no?
Although if it does have a system like that, then it should be a very very clear cut yes on the multiplier I'd imagine.
There ISN’T a 60x AP gap between AM and Nomu is the point.

Think of it like this: Nomu (the bad guy) has an ability that absorbs damage, up to a certain limit. Essentially, a health bar. While that health bar is up, he’s basically impervious to AM’s punches.

Weakened All Might needs over 300 punches to deplete this health bar to 0.

Prime All Might would only need 5 punches to deplete it to 0.

There ISN’T a 60x AP gap between AM and Nomu is the point.

Think of it like this: Nomu (the bad guy) has an ability that absorbs damage, up to a certain limit. Essentially, a health bar. While that health bar is up, he’s basically impervious to AM’s punches.

makes sense
alright I'm gonna dip forever now

Just make it a 5x multiplier between prime and current All Might as a safe lowball
A 5-6x multiplier seems more reasonable imo
I mean I’d like to make a 5-6x multiplier but I’d also like an actual justification other than “it’s a safe lowball.” The point of this thread is to basically just never have this 60x discussion again.

Arguments of “60x is too high!” are just from incredulity imo considering the feats presented from Shigaraki, even though I agree 60x is a ridiculous strength gap. I would rather explore every avenue possible of the feat than just leave it be with a hand waved compromise.

and probably other issues I can't remember right now).
One of the other issues would be the USJ Nomu having a durability 60x times stronger than weakened AM's AP, since he can take at least 4 hits from Prime AM without being defeated...

Also the issue with the Mid-Gauntlets and Full Gauntlets, the latter being able to withstand only 3 hits from Deku at 100%, and the former being able to... withstand a direct hit from someone who should be 60x times stronger what the Full Gauntlets were initially made for, even though All Might stated the Mid-Gauntlets won't be able to survive Deku's 100%.

I also don't think Hatsume's repaired versions of the Mid-Gauntlets are any stronger, in fact she states they are not the greatest or latest in technology, and that she wasn't able to fully replicate them.
But Therefir, wouldn't that put Lady Nagant's bullets above Apex Shigaraki considering she can damage the Mid-Gauntlets and he couldn't?
Once again: surface area, Nagant's bullets are extremely pointy compared to Shigaraki's massive fist, plus the difference being only 6x wouldn't make this so badly, a medieval bow can fire an arrow with 123 joules of energy, a soccer ball 6x times stronger than that won't cause as much damage as the arrow.

But a soccer ball 60x times stronger than the arrow? Your body will be splattered.

If it's not obvious: I'm fine and prefer the 6x time multiplier for Prime All Might, and Nullflowerblush's explanation as for why All Might's power is fluctuating makes sense to me.

The statement by David are that his “Quirk numbers are decreasing”
Before referencing his injuries from All For One, directly correlating the decrease in Quirk numbers to his diminishing physical condition.

Is this not the very definition of "chip damage"?
If I have to punch a window sixty times to break it, the window is not sixty times as durable as I am strong. I just needed sixty punches. If the Nomu took three hundred punches simultaneously, then that'd be a different story.

I don't get why people are discussing a 6x multiplier.

If the movie showed on the chart that All Might was 5x stronger in his prime than he is now, then it's just a 5x multiplier.

I don't get why people are discussing a 6x multiplier.

If the movie showed on the chart that All Might was 5x stronger in his prime than he is now, then it's just a 5x multiplier.
Movie All Might is around 2,500 AP, while on his Prime (before the injury), he was around 15,000 AP.

That's a multiplier of 6x times... Unless I'm ready the graph wrong.

One of the other issues would be the USJ Nomu having a durability 60x times stronger than weakened AM's AP, since he can take at least 4 hits from Prime AM without being defeated...

Also the issue with the Mid-Gauntlets and Full Gauntlets, the latter being able to withstand only 3 hits from Deku at 100%, and the former being able to... withstand a direct hit from someone who should be 60x times stronger what the Full Gauntlets were initially made for, even though All Might stated the Mid-Gauntlets won't be able to survive Deku's 100%.

I also don't think Hatsume's repaired versions of the Mid-Gauntlets are any stronger, in fact she states they are not the greatest or latest in technology, and that she wasn't able to fully replicate them.

Once again: surface area, Nagant's bullets are extremely pointy compared to Shigaraki's massive fist, plus the difference being only 6x wouldn't make this so badly, a medieval bow can fire an arrow with 123 joules of energy, a soccer ball 6x times stronger than that won't cause as much damage as the arrow.

But a soccer ball 60x times stronger than the arrow? Your body will be splattered.

If it's not obvious: I'm fine and prefer the 6x time multiplier for Prime All Might, and Nullflowerblush's explanation as for why All Might's power is fluctuating makes sense to me.
Nomu wouldn’t have 60x his AP, it would just be able to absorb 60x his AP. Its actual durability is irrelevant for its hax ability to absorb the shock of his blows. Once the Shock Absorption is down, it gets KO’d normally.

That’s an issue with the story anyway. Either way you dice it, Mei’s version of the Mid Gauntlets tanked a stronger than Prime AM character punching them, and are currently still standing with Current Deku going all out. Their durability is weird af since they’re said “they will break” “they’re not that good” yet here they are not being destroyed by power levels far higher than 45% or Two Heroes 100%.

I don’t have much to say about the bow and arrow or Nagant but the surface area make sense to me. It’s just that, regardless of surface area, the gauntlets should at least be breaking terribly when Deku uses his “5x stockpiled Fa Jin + Top Gear Overdrive” move that one shot Apex Shigaraki.
Before referencing his injuries from All For One, directly correlating the decrease in Quirk numbers to his diminishing physical condition.

Is this not the very definition of "chip damage"?
If I have to punch a window sixty times to break it, the window is not sixty times as durable as I am strong. I just needed sixty punches. If the Nomu took three hundred punches simultaneously, then that'd be a different story.
No? The point isn’t to upgrade Nomu’s durability, or about its durability at all. This is all PURELY about its shock absorption ability.

The limit of its ability is over 300 punches from All Might. It takes Weakened All Might punching it over 300 times to get through its threshold, to finally hurt it directly.

It would take Prime All Might only 5 punches to do the same.

There is a set amount of energy that needs to be pumped into the Nomu to take down its Shock Absorption, so that is what is being compared, not any set durability.

“Chip damage” would be if the Nomu had higher durability, and after 300 punches, AM knocked him out. But that’s not what happened: it took that many punches to reach the limit of its shock absorption, as in, it has a total energy absorption equal to that amount. So if you can just hit it 5 times and immediately overwhelm all of its shock absorption ability, then we reach the overarching argument.

I agree with this, I remember a couple years ago when I tried to make this upgrade and it just got shot down.
The main problem was people was misinterpreting what absorption and negation is.
Negation would just be negating a certain amount or a total amount, All Might would not be bypassing this if it was just negation. It’s never stated to be negation either.

Absorbing literally means to take in and hold. He’s absorbing the shock. Literally nothing All Might did could make him budge from his spot, like he couldn’t move him at all. Nomu was absorbing this damage, it’s literally stated hes absorbing his punches.
All might had to punch him 300+ times to bypass this absorption.
This says there’s a limit to the amount he can absorb.

Chip damage doesn’t make any sense. This implies the Nomu has a set amount of durability and All Might is just punching him over 300 times and slowly weakening him which is just dumb.
These two are relative in power, and according to the argument the Nomu has enough durability to eat All Might punched as if it’s not there, like no effect. Even All Might stated it had 0 effect. These two are literally exchanging blows 1 to 1 with each other, same speed, same power. All Might would literally die before he could chip the Nomu down to his level, like this isn’t physically possible.
That also isn’t the description of his quirk, it’s not absorbing a large portion and just leaving out the rest, that’s a form of negation not absorption. Absorption is literally taking and holding it in, it’s even specified to not be negation. He’s taking it in and holding it, if there’s a specific portion he can only absorb, then how would he absorb the next punch if he’s already reached that limit? That makes no sense in the description of the quirk and even if you assume that’s the case, the Nomu literally takes no damage outside of the final punches that took him out and his regeneration would literally negate any “chip” damage he takes. The “chip” damage is so nonexistent that All Might states his punch had NO effect at all and the Nomu visibly takes no damage, not even a little.

There’s literally no counter argument as the argument is supported by the manga, it’s all stated and shown and there’s no other interpretation.
Anyone surviving his punch in his Apex state is quite literally PIS.
Mirko durability is lower than that of the Nomu’s, yet she can rip them apart with her kicks. She’s weaker than Shigaraki, yet Shigaraki didn’t rip her apart with a far stronger punch? That’s literally a narrative inconsistency and makes no sense. In a weaker state Tomura destroyed Bakugo’s face with the shockwave from his arm, and obliterated his arm by simply reaching out snd grabbing it. Bakugo has similar durability to Mirko, that punch should have splattered her yet it didn’t. It’s PIS and shouldn’t be used.

I will restate what I said earlier, this is valid and should be used.

I've yet to see any reason as to why we wouldn't use the 60× multiplier. Seems to me like the only true reason people don't want to use it is because it's a big number. The best and only argument against it was why mirko wasn't splattered by shigaraki but that can just be tossed as just plot induced stupidity because they wouldn't want to do that, or just an upgrade for mirko tbh. I mean Tokoyami managed to harm prime afo, that seems an insane jump in power from his previous feats, so why can't mirko also suddenly be just about durable enough to not instantly explode after getting hit? All other arguments against the 60× multiplier boil down to misrepresentations or ignorance of the nomus absorption quirk or just ignoring the basic mathematical fact that 300÷5 = 60.

I've yet to see any reason as to why we wouldn't use the 60× multiplier. Seems to me like the only true reason people don't want to use it is because it's a big number. The best and only argument against it was why mirko wasn't splattered by shigaraki but that can just be tossed as just plot induced stupidity because they wouldn't want to do that, or just an upgrade for mirko tbh. I mean Tokoyami managed to harm prime afo, that seems an insane jump in power from his previous feats, so why can't mirko also suddenly be just about durable enough to not instantly explode after getting hit? All other arguments against the 60× multiplier boil down to misrepresentations or ignorance of the nomus absorption quirk or just ignoring the basic mathematical fact that 300÷5 = 60.
And if we're going by what Damage said in the first reply that "We have Multiplier standards that say multipliers must come from direct statements, not be reasoned out from something else." then the 60× multiplier would be much more direct and straightforward than the 5× to 6× multiplier. Also, one was in a movie and one was in the manga. I know the movies are canon but I think if there's conflicting statements between these 2 we should side with the manga.

I can already feel tho that people are just gonna ignore the 60× multiplier and make no actual arguments against it and people are just gonna jump on the 5× to 6× multiplier because 60 is a big number and 5-6 sounds better and literally nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back