• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Upgrade to those who are made of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Reality level

Oh no you didn't! x3

Anyway what I meant is, in order to treat data as having weight realistically, we'd have to calc. The problem is it is incalculable due to missing information. Think about it.

1 byte = 1 attogram or 1/1,000,000,000,000,000 grams.

The only we can clac this if we knew the bytes of the character in question. As far as I know, no fictional character made of data says "I'm 30 gigabytes!". So there is no way to apply this to our system. In fiction, data is informational blah blah, which it is in real life but it also lacks the semantical technicalities present in the real world.

I mean, I doubt we would actually need a calc. Just put him at 10-C if we know he isn't going to be higher or lower than that.

Tho in many cases, we should just rate them based on their ability to affect the physical world.Through weapons or machines they have reliable access to.

Antvasima said:
I think that we seem to have reached a conclusion, but still need a "Lower-Dimensional Existence" instruction page.
So should we proceed with getting this done?

@Sera

I mean in the sense of "How many bytes would it take for this character to do this, what is the minimum amount of polygons based on what we see on screen," etc.

So is somebody willing to help out with writing the page?

Alright. I'll give a whack at the Data Physiology page. Feel free to correct me if I get anything wrong.

Data Physiology

Introductio
Data Beings are entities made entirely of the bytes within a computer, phone, or the Internet. While they may be able to affect the "real world" through technology, they will not have a physical form.

However, this ability should only be applicable to characters that show an ability to interact with both the "data world" and the "real world", therefor characters from Digimo and Doki Doki Literature Club! would not meet the requirements for this ability.

Ability Overview
While most Data Beings are different, they all share a few of the same abilities, including, but not limited to:

• Non-Corporeal: While a Data Being may have a form or an avatar, their true form exists as data, or "energy"
  • Data Manipulation: These characters will normally be able to manipulate computer data, or data on the internet for their own purposes.
Resistances

• Soul Manipulation: Beings made entirely of data should lack such metaphysical concepts as a soul.
Limitations
Characters with advanced Data Manipulation or Hacking can manipulate the Data Being's code, which is a surefire way to destroy the entity

Users

Note: Please be aware that data is considered as 3-dimensional energy, so Data Beings are not applicable for Tier 11 status. The size of a byte is also dependent on the medium, so a Data Being cannot be considered for either Small Size or Large Size unless explicitly stated otherwise.

This is a rough outline at the moment, so criticise away!

I am not too sure on those resistances being the norm. Well, more specifically Soul Manipulation.

@Crimson Azoth

Thank you for the help.

@All

We probably also need a "Lower-Dimensional Physiology" page though. There could be a mention within them in footnote sections to distinguish them from each other.

Summary

Lower dimensional existence is the power to exist spatially below the third dimension. Beings like this lack geometrical properties that exist within the third dimension. A two dimensional being for example posesses width and length whilst a one dimensional being posesses length only. For an explanation for the physical properties of a zero dimensional being see here. (maybe include here an explanation on how we treat those below zero dimensional?)

It should be noted that beings who exist out of data, light, drawings etc do not qualify as being lower dimensional as they still exist as three dimensional objects on a lower scale. If a character exists as pure non existent fiction however (enlist what they would be considered as)

Possible uses
A lower dimensional being would be invulnerable to a higher dimensional being who does not possess some form of lower dimensional manipulation

(This is all just a rough guide. Edit the comment or get sera to do it as you wish)

How is a character like SCP-3143 going to be treated with these new revisions/pages?

I could go into the more extensive background, but the short version is, SCP-3143 exists one reality-fiction difference below standard reality. It's not just that it's a story, it's that there are actually existences that are one reality-fiction difference below on the hierarchy.

This hierarchy that some SCPs have is also how we have the only below-dimensional page on the site, SCP-2747.

@Sera & Saikou

Would you be willing to write a revised outline for the "Lower-Dimensional Existence" page?

We should worrying abiut listing users of this ability after we actually defined the power, or else we are going to list only few obscure characters.

This honestly should just be dropped. We don't need a Lower Dimensional existence page, not everything should be spoon fed to those who don't have the contextual skills to figure it out for themselves.

OkaySera EX said:
This honestly should just be dropped. We don't need a Lower Dimensional existence page, not everything should be spoon fed to those who don't have the contextual skills to figure it out for themselves.
Alright. Should we start upgrading? Ive got the profiles listed up the top already.

Btw, someone who exists as actual fiction should probably be unknown. I dont think fiction is dimensionally quantifiable in the first place.

Well, I suppose that we have to scrap the explanation page idea then.

On second thought, I personally would not mind that we placed some standards in an explanation page to avoid future problems, but if nobody experienced is willing to write it, that is obviously a problem.

The Player (Stellaris) Will also be downgraded to high 2-A because of this.

Do you want to do a lower dimensional page?

Or would it be easier to just add a note on our tiering system? Saying something like "To qualify as a lower dimensional being, the character must either be portrayed as being spatially flat or be stated to be lower dimensional. Beings who are treat as data or a drawing do not qualify as tier 11 as drawings and coding still function as three dimensional objects. (possible addition if agreed apon) Somebody who is viewed and only portrayed as literal non existent fiction however will be granted an Unknow rating as beings on this level are either unquantifiably lower dimensional or dont exist on a quantifiable dimension in the first place.

I am uncertain to what degree we can place extra explanations texts in our Tiering System page without that they turn distracting.

I think they would only turn distracting if you reached 10. But it is normally reserved for dimensional stuff anyway. I dont see a problem with putting this as a note unless you want to change it around a bit.

So should I add this to start with?

"To qualify for tier 11, a character must be stated or shown to be lower-dimensional. Beings who are treated as data or drawings do not qualify, as they still function as 3-dimensional objects on an incredibly small scale."

That should be good. But then again, spatially flat is two dimensional and doesnt cover lower dimensional in general, so i think that part can be reworded a little if necesarry. Maybe add "on an incredibly small scale" onto the end of the last sentence as well.

You can try adding "or be treat as being spatially below the third dimension" to the end of the first sentence if needed. That should be enough detail.

Someone who is actual fiction should be unknown due to being unquantifiable right? How do you want to word that explanation?

1) I think that the current version works better without that.

2) I do not know how we should treat that. Sera or DarkLK might though.

Read this post said:
Someone who is actual fiction should be unknown due to being unquantifiable right? How do you want to word that explanation?
This is a tough situation since it really depends on the fiction. If they're like data or non-corporeal entities then they should probably be 10-C as data is, but if they're like a lower abstraction then imo they should be 11-A. They're unquantifiably lower but we lowball it to 1 dimension lower. I've done this sort of thing for two pages already, the latter has had multiple extensive discussions with staff about the rating but it has remained where it currently is (11-C for existing three abstractions below reality).

EDIT: For reference, the discussions about that character were here and here, having input from Dargoo, Wokistan, Saikou, Matthew, DarkLK, DontTalkDT, Celestial, Ultima, Weekly, Assalt, Azathoth, Kepekley, and Sera.

It was also agreed that in some cases it's better to tier characters according to the reality that they're in, even if it's fictional, with a note that their tier is relative to the fiction that they're in.

Antvasima said:
"To qualify for tier 11, a character must be stated or shown to be lower-dimensional. Beings who are treated as data or drawings do not qualify, as they still function as 3-dimensional objects on an incredibly small scale."
Are the rest of you fine with if I add this to the Tiering System page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back