• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinion II: The Sequel

I mean it does have some bad moments(Like the end of the GMGs) I overall thought it was good but some momemts could've better been done like Natsu vs Acno

>Instead of one shotting, Natsu should of been comparable and using the other slayers magic but still on the losing end then using Acno getting stunned by Fairy Heart sealing his physical self to attack him full force with some Seven Flames Phoenix Blade(would of been the perfect time to use it)

The real cal howard said:
I'm being completely honest here, I don't think a show can live up to its true potential with having less than 30 episodes.
True. Hell, Katekyo Hitman Reborn only gets good around the 20ish episode mark, where an actual threat occurs. I do wonder how the series would've been if it was released in the present day (to be more specific, if it would've gained a cult following at all with the 24 episode season bullshit.)

• I prefer episodic series over arc driven ones. I feel like once a series gets to heavily arc driven, sometimes it feels the need to drag everything out to make it an "arc" when it could be wrapped up in an episode or two. That's why I think the newer Steven Universe episodes have been so bad, nothing really stands on its own anymore, it's all longer-then-needed arcs. Whatever happened to fun, one-shot adventures that can be watched without hours of backstory needed to understand anything?
  • I think grounded world-building is far more interesting them grand world-building. By this, I mean world building that gives even minor characters their own lives, their own families, their own friendships and their own backstory. The more fleshed out the day to day aspects of a characters life is, the more real they feel. That's one of the reasons why I love Arthur so much despite being way outside of the demographic, even the most minor of recurring characters have a fleshed out life to an extent.

Surprisingly, for Teen Titans, other than Raven's and Beast Boy's arc, I prefer the episodic episodes rather than the arcs.

But other than that, I fit squarely on the other side of the spectrum. For truly episodic series, you can't really develop a character. Sure, they might learn a lesson or something, but they're very static. No one is ever developed in Spongebob, or in Adventure Time pre Mortal Folly. Only exception I can think of is Regular Show, and that wasn't 100% episodic.

Thing is, no 100% episodic show is meant to be. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I think they're bad in any sense of the word. I just prefer stories better, because I can actually get invested in the characters. I loved The Simpsons when it was good, but the characters are very static and while each episode was grand, and told a message, there was something missing that say, Avatar had.

Thing is, no 100% episodic show is meant to be. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I think they're bad in any sense of the word. I just prefer stories better, because I can actually get invested in the characters.
Couldn't have said it any better than that Cal.

Only exception I can think of is Regular Show, and that wasn't 100% episodic.
Pops is the only character I'd say truly developed in Regular Show.

Well characters like Benson and the like how changed and learned lessons over the show but I'd say Pops is the only one that changed hugely by the shows end

Rwby honestly feels like a disney animation show rather than a western fan-anime (At least in the first seasons).

Js250476 said:
Well characters like Benson and the like how changed and learned lessons over the show but I'd say Pops is the only one that changed hugely by the shows end
Yeah that's what I mean. Of course the others learn lessons and stuff but Pops is the only one where he's a fundamentally different person in the end than he was in the beginning.

Newendigo said:
I don't think so Cal, Ridby was pretty much the same lazy and irritating douchbag from the beginning of the series.
Agreed. Whereas Pops went from a whiny manbaby to a brave, noble, messiah-like figure throughout the show. Someone who used to cry over his clothes being called lame to one who openly embraced his death. Someone who was too scared to listen to ghost stories to one who willingly sacrificed himself for the sake of the universe.

Newendigo said:
Rwby honestly feels like a disney animation show rather than a western fan-anime (At least in the first seasons).
Eh to me it was always like a Saturday Morning Cartoon or something I'd watch on weekends on Cartoon Network, like Code Lyoko or Teen Titans

RS was great show, and it had the brave to finish when it was needed (The series started to decay in some point).

Seasonal rot hits a lot of shows unfortunately. So I'm glad Regular show was able to be as goods it was and have a satisfying ending

That show is what basically started the trend of quality Disney animated shows so it's very important indeed

Gonna get crucified for this one.

Jackie Chan has better fight scenes than Bruce Lee. Though I still have nothing but love and admiration for Bruce.

Aren't Jackie Chan fight scenes more comical than Bruce's?

Jackie Chan's movies are typically less serious than Bruce's, though in my opinion none of Bruce's fight scenes are as magnificient to watch choreography and skill wise as this. However Bruce Lee is also an absolute legend.

Well, you should. It has Jackie Chan in it, and he's not comical. It's actually quite a depressing movie but it's worth it at the end.

Yeah Jackie Chan can be a serious and quite good actor. His scene in the Karate Kid remake where he has a breakdown over his family is another example of that.

Back