• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unbanning DB vs. Marvel/DC (and possibly Saint Seiya too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kepekley23 said:
You guys need to stop confusing debates with shitstorms. The thread hasn't turned into anything at all.
This exactly. You telling people to calm down and saying the thread has turned "into something" is just bad practice and will create something that's not even there.

Kepekley23 said:
What do sockpuppets have to do with the discussion at hand?
The influx of threads will cause users to create sockpuppets to tip the advantage on their side and since the characters being unbanned are quite mainstream, the expected number of sock accounts will also be high.

"This thread hasn't turned into anything at all"

I scroll up a bit and see people telling people to calm down. Strawman fallacies that were never there in the first place. You cannot tell me this thread isn't slowly but surely deteriorating. But to make sure I won't add to it; unfollowed.

I do not think that Scarlet has been behaving badly. We shouldn't be too oversensitive.

Anyway, as was stated above, this site is by far first and foremost an indexing site. Galaxian Pyron selected the misleading name, not the current management.

The VS threads are just supposed to be there for our members to have a bit of fun, not to breed hostility and flame wars between them, that are not so easily amended simply by locking the threads that are out of control.

That said, although I suspect that Scarlet is correct, and this will simply increase our already very significant workloads, I suppose that we could give this a try to appease the community consensus, but if these matchups start to become a problem, we will quickly have to ban them again.

It's first and foremost an indexing site doesn't mean we clearly ignore the fact that we do have a versus thread section, which is probably the most active part of the site other than profiles being edited and CRTs.

I agree with OP.

Fine by me, I will abide with the consensus of the majority despite my opinion and hopefully I'm proven wrong. If anyone feels wrongfully accused by my comments, I will say that it's not out of bad will and apologize. I've always wanted what's best for this place in short terms as well as long terms.

@ScarletFirefly

Thank you. Your concern and foresight for the stability of the wiki is highly appreciated.

However, I think that Matthew also disagreed with this suggestion. It is probably best to wait for his input.

AKM sama said:
Agree with Dragon
As long as we don't have Superman vs anyone in DB or Goku/Vegeta vs anyone in Marvel/DC, things should be fine.

Goku/Vegeta vs Marvel/DC - Banned

Superman vs DB - Banned

Using the rest of the characters can be a good idea but I don't even care that much about these matches so whatever. I am neutral.
Why ban Goku and Vegeta vs Marvel? Isn't that a bit much? Was there ever much controversy with Goku/Vegeta vs Marvel?

I do believe this is potentially more trouble than it's worth, but if people believe it should be done, guess the option is to wait and see... Neutral.

PaChi2 said:
Tbh, currently, dragon ball super revisions are much more toxic than any verse-themed thread. And we are not banning them.
Just my two cents.
I'd say it's a necessary "evil" the site needs to go through from time to time. It's not limited to DB revisions.

Matt's one and only comment here didn't say anything about a disagreement. You'd need to ask him personally

PaChi2 said:
Tbh, currently, dragon ball super revisions are much more toxic than any verse-themed thread. And we are not banning them.
Just my two cents.
More toxic, maybe, but revision threads are arguably more important than verses threads.

Playing Devil's Advocate here for a second, one can potentially argue otherwise. We could have the most accurate statistics in the world, but if our vs matches are what's bringing in the views, then it's the important one.

Again, Devil's Advocate. I don't necessarily believe it.

I mean they're both very important. The way I see it, one is pointless without the other. No point in having VS threads if this site's revisions aren't thorough. But there's no point in having revision threads if we're never gonna have VS threads.

But yeah, I agree with Assalt that revision threads are more important.

The real cal howard said:
Playing Devil's Advocate here for a second, one can potentially argue otherwise. We could have the most accurate statistics in the world, but if our vs matches are what's bringing in the views, then it's the important one.
From a certain standpoint you're right, lol.

I kind of disagree with unbanning this actually. It was mentioned on another thread that Superman Vs Dragon Ball in general should be banned; like Superman Vs Vegeta would still be a parallel to Goku Vs Superman and still receive just as much controversy. I don't mind unbanning DBZ Vs Marvel if most of the staff are fine with it, but DBZ Vs DC should still be banned for various reasons.

Although, given that many other crossovers tend to cause a lot of controversy and we don't ban those; perhaps a page giving a list of ill-advised matches/crossovers might be a possibility. We won't necessarily ban crossovers such as One Piece Vs Fairy Tail or HST crossovers do to its bad rap, but it could be listed as a match up that should be a sort of, proceed with cautio crossover.

I can think of other well known/popular stomp threads that cause controversy; Dragon Ball Vs Saint Seiya isn't quite as big as a stomp as lets say Metroid Vs Halo, but then there are plenty of Halo fans offsite who are furious and outraged about how various Nintendo characters are rated so highly compared to all the various FPS characters. Any thoughts?

I agree with the OP.

I honestly dont like the idea of banning some matchups.

Yeah, we have our biases, and sometimes people get hostile.

But that is why we have discussion rules.

KinkiestSins said:
I agree with the OP.
I honestly dont like the idea of banning some matchups.

Yeah, we have our biases, and sometimes people get hostile.

But that is why we have discussion rules.
I think the main issue is the amount of work required to moderate these. I dont think anyone would actually want to ban discussion outside of this.

@Kepekley23

No, they do not. We have over 738000 individual visitors a month, and an extremely small amount of them are interested in participating in VS discussions.

Our profiles increase our visitor count, whereas the VS threads simply increase our workloads. We keep them around to keep our active members entertained, that is all.

Rocker1189 said:
I think the main issue is the amount of work required to moderate these. I dont think anyone would actually want to ban discussion outside of this.
Fair, but it is also not that hard to request an admin or discussion mod to close something if it turns into a flamewar.

@KinkiestSins

It is very hard for the admins and discussion moderators to constantly try to defuse said flame wars though.

@Ant

We have 738000 visitors, but only a small portion of them have an account on this website to begin with. We should judge by the number of users with active accounts.

However, look at the users we do have. Now see how many of them actively participate in the VS threads. It is easily at least a third of the site, if not more. Even looking at the staff itself and counting how many participate in the VS matches already lets us see this.

Although I agree profiles and revisions are more productive and what we really should do with our time, I have to admit VS matches are far more popular among the users of this wiki.

Antvasima said:
@KinkiestSins
It is very hard for the admins and discussion moderators to constantly try to defuse said flame wars though.
My argument was more so, if it turns into a flame war, UMR, or Repp or anyone can close it.

And even then, that is assuming it gets out of control.

And those who start flame wars are guilty of breaking discussion rules.

I personally find this A-Okay.

I trust this community to be more mature then just "LUL GOKU SUX HADES REASONS ABOVE."

@Kepekley23

The point is that our mainstream popularity is not remotely reliant on the vs threads. They are there to entertain our regular members, and that's it.

@KinkiestSins

It would require us to ban a considerably greater amount of people though, and risks to breed hostility between our members.

@All

In any case, given that this is a policy discussion, and that it, as usual, has grown unmanageable due to inappropriately being open to all members, I will close this, remove the highlight, and create a new staff only thread instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back