• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
@Ender

It's called fiction. A small child can be Relativistic if the writers want her to be.

No shit they don't yse the tiering system. That's why Sadie's feat exists at all.

Sadie's. Feat. Is. An. Outlier. The only other time Gems have been threatened by sharp things is when they were made to ignore their durability or were being used by another 7-A.

...Garfield is FTL?...God dang it.

@The Wright Way And it does exist. Because the show creators don't care about vs battles or outliers. I suppose it is an outlier, however in the end it's somewhat of a moot point as the gemstones of the Gems themselves don't seem to share their durability, as Amethyst's cracked from a fall off a mountain. Would I be correct in assuming that Tyranids can produce that much power?

@Weekly could you tell me where it was mentioned that it was a few weeks?

Enderdragon1201 said:
Edit: @Weekly isn't that something any interstellar civilization could do? Or are you referring to how fast they made it to Earth, because as far as I can recall I don't remember getting a real time frame on when they were sent out.
Not neccessarily. Cause you don't have to have Intergalactic range to have an Intergalactic Empire. For example the Galactic Empire covers a whole Galaxy, but none of their weapons/people have Galactic range.

@Cinnabar Yes, but that was my point. They can launch ships at intergalactic ranges like the Gems can launch probes at intergalactic ranges.

Again, that's yet another outlier. That's the only time something like that was shown, and even then, there's other feats to contradict it, like when Lapis got directly puched in the Gem by Bismuth and her Gem was fine.

CinnabarManx421 said:
Again, that's yet another outlier. That's the only time something like that was shown, and even then, there's other feats to contradict it, like when Lapis got directly puched in the Gem by Bismuth and her Gem was fine.
Pretty sure she was then cracked by someone stepping on her.

Enderdragon1201 said:
...Garfield is FTL?...God dang it.

@The Wright Way And it does exist. Because the show creators don't care about vs battles or outliers. I suppose it is an outlier, however in the end it's somewhat of a moot point as the gemstones of the Gems themselves don't seem to share their durability, as Amethyst's cracked from a fall off a mountain. Would I be correct in assuming that Tyranids can produce that much power?

@Weekly could you tell me where it was mentioned that it was a few weeks?
Again, outlier. If Amethyst was that weak, her gemstone would logically be cracked every time she got hit. Garnet slamming her into the beach hard enough to make glass would have shattered her. Ditto with Peridot getting crushed by a giant boulder. It doesn't matter if the outlier exists, because it being an outlier means we ignore it.

Also Bismuth submerging herself in Lava, or the WoG statement that Garnet could take a dip in the sun and be fine. Both of which would be more damaging than a fall.

Then I guess I'm done for now, as I don't really know what else to say. All I can do is talk about what I've seen in the show, and what I've seen hasn't given me a particularly good impression of Gem durability. I will wait for someone else who knows Tyranids better to argue for them.

Also, even if you wanna say the Amethyst feat is 100% not an outlier, Amethyst is explicitly stated (and sometimes shown) to be far weaker than she's supposed to be, so it wouldn't scale to any other Gem.

@The Wright Way true, but I still think I should probably leave it to someone at least somewhat familiar with the source material. The most experience I've had with Tyranids was in a mod for a video game.

I believe also the current votes are at:

Gems: (3 votes, Cinna, Ivory, Steven)

Tyranids: (1 votes, Apies)

(I didn't count anyone who didn't explictly say they're voting.)

If speed is equalized I'm thinking Tyranids due to the reasons I stated earlier, those being greater intelligence, greater numbers and greater adaptability (something which Gems, especially ones from Homeworld, often seem to lack).

I was just looking through the profiles, and I'm honestly not that sure how Gems stand a chance here other than speed, and that seems like it would only be so useful against such a massive numbers difference. The Gems are described as having between billions and trillions of Gems, of which anywhere from tens of millions to billions are military Gems, whereas Tyranids are stated to have likely quintillions of soldiers and/or ships, with invasion forces made up of billions or trillions of organisms, and it was stated earlier this was the entire Tyranids species vs the Gems, meaning they will have quintillions of troops. Even if we're extremely generous and say the Gems have 100 trillion troops and the Tyranids have only 1 quintillion that still leaves us with 10,000 Tyranids to every individual Gem, and Tyranids weapons are high 6-C, while Jasper, whom was considered to be the perfect example of a type of Gem specifically designed for combat, is marked as 7-A, meaning they should be able to damage the Gems just fine, and with that many troops (the difference in which is likely much higher, as it's stated on the profile that Tyranids have quintillions, as in multiple quintillions, whereas Gems are stated to have billions to trillions, not all of whom are designed for combat) they get a lot of chances to try and get a hit, especially as dead Tyranids can be reabsorbed and used to make new ones. Let me put it this way; you as a human can probably kill a rat just fine, especially if you're way faster than it and have a gun, but if you are facing 10,000 (or more) rats that all have guns, that are controlled by the powerful Ratmind, and that are gunning to kill you (and likely have a pretty good idea of how to do so after the last few battles with humans, which the Ratmind told them about), and they can make more rats from the corpses of the other ones, you're probably going to die. This is on top of Gems being very slow to adapt and change whereas individual Tyranids can make slight changes on the fly, and newly created Tyranids typically carry new evolutions.

Finally, assuming less generous numbers then if Tyranids have 2 quintillion and Gems have 2 trillion soldiers then the numbers difference becomes 1 million Tyranids to every Gem, and if we use the figure that assumes a few billion Gems are soldiers it gets worse. While the profile said that Tyranids typically invade with forces between the billions and trillions as far as I could tell that was individual invasion forces, whereas the entire species (which is being used here) is made up of quintillions of organisms. Tyranids are also described as working in perfect synchronicity when synapse Tyranids are there to control them, so they should be more efficient and effective than Gems as well.

Sheer ap with planetary range > sheer numbers

A single White Light would atomize basically their entire focre

Adventures in Light Distortion, even fodder scouting ships are capable of warping space-time and bending reality to drastically increase their speed

BFR them into a tome or lock them in perpetual stasis with tractor beams

Or worse comes to worse just bust the planet

I'm...not sure you realize just how big a number quintillions is. Also, hive mind, the Tyranids will quickly learn and adapt to whatever strategies the Gems use, and given how many of them there are they have plenty of fodder to experiment with.

I'm not sure you understand the gap between a White Light and the Tyranids.

Fodder that they'll never in a million years be able to touch

Tractor Beams isn't holding because they passively absorb energy.

The only thing taking that out is a fully formed Cluster which they don't have.

They also passively destroy Gem souls. There's likely billions of them too.

A million Tyranids will kill a White Light, and even if they couldn't Tyranids have creatures such as Bio-Titans. When I said fodder I was referring to the near-endless legions of Tyranids they can send at the Tomes and Gem weapons to test their capabilities, not that the Gems were fodder.

@Emperor Tractor Beams arent energy so how will they absorb it exactly?

They do have the Cluster, it is listed on their profile

Gems dont have souls

Tractor Beams are beams of energy so they will be absorbed.

It literally isn't anywhere let alone listed as AP on the Gem World. Only that doesn't stop the billions of them either.

Gems have life right? They consume life.

No, theyre not, not for Gems at least

From Gem Homeworld's profile:

Attack Potency: Island level (Weapons such as The Harmony Core and Light Warriors are this strong, with White Lights and Geoweapons such as The Cluster being immensely more powerful) to Low Multiverse level (Weapons such as The Glass of Time are able to create and destroy entire alternate timelines)

No, Gems are not alive

Back