• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tropes in fiction you love and hate

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
List all the tropes you love/hate.

Love:

Any form of dramatic irony where we know something the characters (or at least not all of them) don't

Hate:

Extremely overpowered villain who only loses via compious amounts of PIS

Right Imma address the elephant in the room really quickly

Hate:

Dense, Main, Character. Unoriginal that I brought it up?' Yes. Is it wrong? NO.

We've all seen this bullshit, character is surrounded by beautiful women but the Main character is to idiotic to notice.

Now leaving it here wouldn't be nearly enough, the main character is usually so dense that we don't understand the whole idea why the women even like him in the first place which is the entire base of a harem show.

Facepalming at a person's stupidity only gets me so far into a show.

Gargoyle One said:

Hate:

We've all seen this bullshit, character is surrounded by beautiful women but the Main character is to idiotic to notice.

Now leaving it here wouldn't be nearly enough, the main character is usually so dense that we don't understand the whole idea why the women even like him in the first place which is the entire base of a harem show.

PREACH!!!

I'm one of the best in my public speaking class, putting together words in a way such as that is a gibbon.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Some wish fulfilment bullshit I tell ya
Well, clearly, but I don't understand why it's wish fulfillment. Because I doubt any guy wants to never notice a girl hitting on him (nor be beaten up by a tsundere or receive death by yandere)

Gargoyle One said:
I guess it depends. If he really just isn't a guy interested in romance then I'm fine with it. Takumi Aiba for example is surrounded by beautiful girls but never really expresses interest in them beyond being really good friends. In fact now that I think about it, the only girl he shows romantic interest is the female version of himself...which is weird.

Anywho. My most hated trope has got to be the brooding anti-hero protagonist who refuses to move on with his life and improve himself because M Y S U F F E R I N G.

@Cal So that the viewer can feel like the protag (Having all the girls to him) without feeling like they're getting cucked due to the protag actually doing something with the girls. It's like "If I was in HIS place I'd be the happiest guy on Earth!!". Silly.

@Saikou

I thought you meant stuff like Genies fulfilling peoples wishes in an ironic/way to literal way. That shit pisses me off to no end.

Nah I mean fictions whose main appeal is to be an irrealistic fantasy-fuel for weebs with little to no meat outside of that.

@Dark I was more specifically talking about Dense characters, not being interested is another matter entirely and one I completely agree with you on.

Love:

Damage Sponges. People who don't go down after suffering horrendous injures and still manage to overpower who ever is trying to kill them. And they don't have a healing factor or pain resistance to help them, nope, they only have their own grit and determination to get them through the fight

Though, there is a point where it stops being cool and starts becoming stupid (and edgy)

Hate:

Characters who are super powerful or have some sort of great one shot hax which could let them win the fight easily, BUT THEY NEVER USE IT CAUSE "LMAO ARROGANCE"

Oh, I should probably state that I hate it when people think a series with a lot of girls is a harem show. Not accusing anyone of thinking that, but I still wanted to say it, as I have seen it before.

The real cal howard said:
Oh, I should probably state that I hate it when people think a series with a lot of girls is a harem show. Not accusing anyone of thinking that, but I still wanted to say it, as I have seen it before.
Cross Ange has like, 3 male characters, two of which are bad guys. Everyone else is a girl. Obviously, a lot of people think its a harem. It's really not.

PTSOXMONKEY99 said:
Love:

Damage Sponges. People who don't go down after suffering horrendous injures and still manage to overpower who ever is trying to kill them. And they don't have a healing factor or pain resistance to help them, nope, they only have their own grit and determination to get them through the fight

Though, there is a point where it stops being cool and starts becoming stupid (and edgy)
Totally agree, especially on the second part. Perfecting that fine balance between badass and stupid is pretty hard but when it does it, it's simply awesome. The Mask comics did it pretty well in their early run with Walter.

@Cal I feel you. A lot of people say Adventure Time, TLH and MLP are harem shows when they really aren't (though to be fair, Star Vs is a harem show at this point).

I could go even beyond and say that I don't like harems in general. But this thread needs 20% less harems.

@Dark

The Invincible comics handled this pretty well too, Invincible vs Conquest (both fights) is still to this day one of my favorite comic book fights (hell, basically any fight with Invincible in it is bound to be good)

@Everyone

I honestly don't care much for harem shows, but the thing I hate most about them is all the horrible harem fanfictio they inspire

I myself have a super huge soft spot for harem anime, since Rosario + Vanpire was one of the first anime I watched in full.

The Everlasting said:
I myself have a super huge soft spot for harem anime, since Rosario + Vanpire was one of the first anime I watched in full.
For me it was Sora no Otoshimoto. Difference between him and many harem protags was that he wasn't dense. I'm putting that as lightly as I can.

Gargoyle One said:

Hate:

So then I ask. Does this bother you when it isn't a harem?

Love:

Showy Invincible Heroes that actually manage to get some character development even though they always win (especially when they finally meet the one rival who can match them). (e.g. Alucard, Kenshiro, John Carter)

Hate:

Characters that constantly have girls fawning over them despite having horrible personalities that should logically drive them away. (e.g. Sebastian Michaelis, Kratos)

I've heard a lot about Hetalia, but the sheer amount of...questionable fanfics makes me hesitate to watch it.

Back