• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tropes in fiction you love and hate

Naw, when he used up all his life force to use the Fairy Law to wipe out the army that was revived in Ishgar or whatever it was called. It was supposed to kill him, but then he just sorta.... didn't

@Arro

Leme guess? the heroes get screwed up and villain almost won and then something bullshit happen to heroes and then voila!! heroes defeat the villain in very easy way?

Arrogant Schmuck said:
Okay real-talk, though, I genuinely CANNOT stand this trope. I know a lot of you will get angry at me for saying this so only click this if you think you can handle the truth [TRIGGER WARNING]:
I really, really hate it...

When the villain goes "HAHAHAHAHAHA"

And the heroes are all like "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"

And then the stuff goes "WOOOOSHH"

And the ting goes "SKRRRAHH PAP PAP KA-KA-KA SKIDIKI PAP PAP"

And a "PU-PU-PUDRRRR-BOOM SKYA DU-DU-KU-KU-DUN-DUN POOM POOM"
You can get angry all you want but that's the way it is and you can't change my mind.

Weird look
Me trying to read this

My favourite tropes: Nobody to Nightmare, Took a Level in Badass.

My least favourite trope: Tsundere.

I always loved the trope where the bad guy feigns an accident (or actually gets in trouble) and counts on the heroes morality to help him through it, just so he can use it against him later. ESPECIALLY if it actually seemed like the villain was touched by the heroes actions.

I like the trope of a villain choosing to protect a child, like Garou (Although that is far from the only reason I like him)

Message me, bro. I'm willing to talk (also, I need to kill an hour before I can...become cool Cal again, if you catch my drift ovo)

The real cal howard said:
That sounds interesting. Any examples?
I can't think of much direct examples off the top of my head outside of recent Adventure Time spoilers, but I guess when Goku gave Frieza his energy on a dying Namek counts as one example. Theirs an example in a show I follow called Legend Quest where the main character, Leo, starts to trust a main recurring villain and saves her life only for her to ty to kill him only minutes later.

Here's a subversion of it, where the villain counts on it but the hero ain't giving mercy.

Badboybilly1000 said:
New forms and power up that comes from nowhere and no matter how many limits the mc breaks he still has some to break
You gotta make toys out of something. Ever watch Zoids? The main character got new forms like every 2 episodes.

You gotta make toys out of something. Ever watch Zoids? The main character got new forms like every 2 episodes.

But ichigo gets a lot flake for his tho

Hate: When the big bad hyped-up "main antagonist" dies before the end of the story and is replaced by a second-in-command (i.e. what happened with Snoke and Zarko). What was the point of their role if they were going to be tossed aside in the long run?

• Hero Parents (I don't know if this has a better name but yeh). You know? What it says on the can. I don't know why but I like this trope, I think I just picked up on it. A good example would be Ryoga of Abaranger. Are there any badly written character of this trope, though? I'm kinda curious now.
  • Heroic Speeches. Hoho... Kinda neutral, actually. I really really love it when it's done right. But when it happens just because it wanted to happen well... It brings me to a trope I dislike.
Hate:

• "Hey guys, we're here too!". When other characters of a series just appears out of nowhere and provides no plot relevance. Mostly in movies. Again though, there are times when it's done right but most of the time... It's like, "Eh, throw 'em in." -Directors who do this. I'm looking at you Kamen Rider.

Cropfist said:
Hate: When the big bad hyped-up "main antagonist" dies before the end of the story and is replaced by a second-in-command (i.e. what happened with Snoke and Zarko). What was the point of their role if they were going to be tossed aside in the long run?
I haven't seen the show in a while. But I thought Zarkon was in a coma. He's like, actually dead?

@Velox.

I know. I don't watch them myself, but I understand that it's very frequently done there. That isn't to say that my own favorite verses don't have any crappy tropes.

Like say...

• "Holy crap, a monster attacked!" Cue the next day or week, "Everything's fine and dandy!". I mean, I know they can't always bring up the crap they've gone through all the time but sometimes, I feel as if they're always glossed over. Not many people know except for the small ring of characters that is the major ones. I think this does happen in other shows, Toku or not, but those are where it's most common. But then again, it's disliked, not outright hated.
  • Expository characters(?). Uh... Characters who are just there to provide expositions? I mean, them expos are good and all but what if this character is not only part of the major cast, but also highly plot-crucial? That's where this begins to go down.

Will think of more.

@TeenAngel101 Spoilers ahead.

Admittedly I've yet to finish the new season, but from what I've seen, Lotor actually managed to kill Zarkon, or at least wound him grievously. If it makes you feel better, Zarkon put up one hell of a fight and Lotor just barely won, even with more advanced weaponry on his side.

Tropes I Love:

• I love protagonists that are dorky, awkward, and overall adorable. I find it very easy to root for them in spite of whatever flaws they have, and they generally feel more grounded than most other kinds of protagonists. Now, they don't have to be as awkward as someone like Deku for instance (though I love him as a character with all my heart), but the dorky awkwardness makes them endearing and just plain likable. They make me care about the story more than anything else, since I want to see where they go as people rather than break everything down into what villain they're going to fight next.
  • Protagonist who use their heads, but they're not infallible. It's nice when you have a character whose answer to the problem isn't just muscling their way through everything. If the protagonist is forced to use their head on a consistent basis, so will everyone else, creating a more compelling story. I dislike characters who have the solution to every problem, meaning that all of the attention is focused on how they save the day, since it's going to inevitably happen.
Tropes I Hate:

• Extremely dark and bleak deconstruction story like Re:Zero or power fantasy stories like Overlord and Death Note. I don't care how powerful a character is. If their motivations and personalities are not worth rooting for, then I'm not going to care and I'm dropping it immediately. Stories that do nothing but deconstruct tropes and genuinely make you feel worse than when you started are either boring or just counterproductive to the reason you picked them up.
  • Evil Fics - Fanfics that make perfectly decent characters evil for nothing else but to satisfy the writer's only dark desires. The vast majority of these stories make no sense whatsoever and distort their protagonists into mere parodies of themselves on top of usually being just plain disgusting. I refuse to read these kinds of stories.

Like:

• Legacy heroes. The hero of one series returns for its sequel, not as the main character, but as a mentor figure. Not only does it allow for callbacks to the original that rewards long time fans and intrigue new fans, but it also makes whatever character arcs they went through in the original one that much more satisfying.
  • Always with you. I know, it's cheesy, but I love it in stuff when characters die, but they reunite in the afterlife, always looking after their loved ones. Even though I had problems with Infinite Crisis, the scene with Superman and Lois in the stars made me teary eyed, and as lame as it sounds, this one mlp fanfic where Spike had died due to old, only to be greeted by his first family, who ushered him into the next world. Awww.
  • Badass Boast. How can you go wrong with this? Theirs a reason why Skeletor is probably my favorite page on this site, his profile is filled with them.
Dislike:

• Constant references. References to other media can be fun, especially when it's done quick, but sometimes it can really kill the mood. The mlp comics do this really, really badly at times. I think the worst moment was this scene in Fiendship is Magic issue 1 where it's supposed to be this really sad moment where Sombra is writhing in pain emotionally and physically as his only friend watches in horror...but I have trouble taking it seriously when it's done next to an Attack on Titan parody. Another example was in the (albeit, much more comedic in tone) Ponies of Dark Water arc where Twilight makes everyone brain dead and the brain dead ponies start praising Batman v Superman as a masterpiece. It just came off as mean spirited. Another bad example was in the Bluntman and Chronic comic where, and I'm not joking, the first issue was nothing but superhero references, with the first one seemingly being a major plot device but didn't really go anywhere.
  • More questions, no answers, constantly. This is a trap even great shows fall into, when they want to keep something mysterious and enigmatic, but still want to focus on it. Adventure Time has, sadly, fallen into this trap in later seasons. I still love the series, but I'm growing increasingly annoyed with the constant cliff hangers and questions they keep bringing up. Seasons 8/9/10 (**** the confusing season order CN made) have been very bad with it, with episodes made entirely just to bring up more questions.
  • When a show has to much "past the raider" crap thrown in. Like, I get it, you can hide a sex joke in a cartoon if you're clever enough. Sometimes it's funny, but when it's done to much, it really loses all punch.
  • The Worf Effect/. If done sparingly, it can be a real intense moment, but when it's done poorly, it's just insulting. The Ryo Akiyama Saga was the absolute worst with this with Ryo "Lord and Savior" Akiyama, who, not only does everyone love for no reason, managed to beat every other DigiDestined (Pre-02), Davis and Takato easily, not to mention that he beat all the villains of the first anime by himself (sans Apocalymon) by himself. Dude even managed to fight Zeed-*******-Millenniummo and survive, though given that it was Zeed's first appearance, I can't really say it was a case of the "Worf Effect".
Reppuzan said:
Tropes I Love:
Both reasons are why Takato is probably my favorite Digimon protag. His dorky sweetness is so cute to watch, and his intelligence, while not as tactical as his friends, allowed him to make some good calls.

Back