• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Empathic Manipulation is the umbrella term for being able to manipulate anyones emotions/morals/influence etc in some capacity, I think it's worth having specifics of this like Fear Manipulation since its a very distinct and common power over fiction, that does something unique as opposed to fixing them into other emotions.

Maybe we can give it a Type 1 (Social Influencing) and Type 2 (Forcible Fear Induction) to better differentiate how this fear is instilled, as i agree it is different to be forced to be scared by some unnatural power as opposed to someone just being able to strike fear and intimidation in someone from their stance, appearance or reputation

While Empathic Manipulation is the umbrella term for being able to manipulate anyones emotions/morals/influence etc in some capacity, I think it's worth having specifics of this like Fear Manipulation since its a very distinct and common power over fiction, that does something unique as opposed to fixing them into other emotions.

Maybe we can give it a Type 1 (Social Influencing) and Type 2 (Forcible Fear Induction) to better differentiate how this fear is instilled, as i agree it is different to be forced to be scared by some unnatural power as opposed to someone just being able to strike fear and intimidation in someone from their stance, appearance or reputation

fear manipulation is the ability to directly induce fear in someone via supernatural means or with technology like Scarecrow from DC. Social Influencing involves doing so with their charm for example a well known powerful character scaring weaker ones who can sense his power or a highly ranked general using his status to induce fear.

So no we can’t merge SI with F.

Why can't these super specific branch off of certain abilities just be merged with their parent and still be listed as specific stuff like "Fear Manipulation" but redirecting towards empath manip then redirect the old pages to the page they merged with so there aren't any dead links.
Like this as an example
Fear Manipulation (Can induce fear upon their opponent through changing the function of their brainwaves)

fear manipulation is the ability to directly induce fear in someone via supernatural means or with technology like Scarecrow from DC. Social Influencing involves doing so with their charm for example a well known powerful character scaring weaker ones who can sense his power or a highly ranked general using his status to induce fear.

So no we can’t merge SI with F.
? I'm not saying we should?

I think Fear Manipulation page should just have 2 types since one is done forcibly and the other through the characters influence/presence

If you didn’t mean merging then I think it’s redundant.

Anyway, since we aren’t nuking fear manipulation what are thoughts on love manipulation?

Why can't these super specific branch off of certain abilities just be merged with their parent and still be listed as specific stuff like "Fear Manipulation" but redirecting towards empath manip then redirect the old pages to the page they merged with so there aren't any dead links.
Like this as an example
I mean sure I guess? I'd like to think linking all elements into Elemental Manipulation is not very productive.

Yeah, the staff seemed busy with other projects so this one kind of went on hold.

I should bring it back up again later.

While love is somewhat more common than other emotions, I think fear is probably a lot more common than love manip.
Like, we have 2370 Empathic Manip. Users and 1781 Fear Manip. Users. If we fused the abilities about 43% of Empathic Manip would be Fear Manip.
My subjective impression is that love manip. probably doesn't quite reach that magnitude.

So, in total, I'm personally fine with the line being where it is.
This makes sense to me, although I obviously think that love is a much more important emotion than fear in real life.

I'm in the "put it all into empathetic manip" camp, personally
Making both fear manipulation and love manipulation into sub-sections of the empathic manipulation page, and turning both of those search terms into automatic redirect links seems like a good idea to me as well, yes.

Honestly I really hate calling it "Love Manipulation" like it's something romantic when the power is usually pretty rapey and immoral, if you have to make it call it "Supernatural Seduction" or something.
That is a good point. True love is given freely not through coercion.

Last edited:
You really want to make CRTs to decide whether 1700 characters should have fear manipulation or not all at once?
Because I don't. That's a massive wiki project for something not worth it.
Like, we should improve the situation if necessary, but not via a mass revision but by gradual changes.
We are already very busy with other projects, and I will also likely go on a vacation soon, yes.

So what should we do with this thread?
Probably keep things as they are, as it seems like the easiest and most practical solution, given the problems mentioned by DontTalkDT, Armorchompy, Phoenks, and myself above.

Well, there are problems when I try to catch up on several different responses from different members spanning several pages.

Making both fear manipulation and love manipulation into sub-sections of the empathic manipulation page, and turning both of those search terms into automatic redirect links seems like a good idea to me as well, yes.
Can I apply this?

Probably keep things as they are, as it seems like the easiest and most practical solution, given the problems mentioned by DontTalkDT, Armorchompy, Phoenks, and myself above.
See here please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back