• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tropes in fiction you love and hate

@DMUA Yeah but the point of science is that we DO understand it.

Acting like it's some unexplainable force that allows you to do anything defeats its very purpose and can even make a fool out of the writers and/or characters.

Yeah. Two villains I like, Anti-Spiral and The Beast (inFAMOUS) also follow that.

Anti-Spiral only slaughtered spiral beings because they were paranoid that the Spiral Nemesis would eat up the universe. And he reveals that he really was trying to just save the universe when he says to Simon as he was doomed to die, "Think about something other than yourself"

The Beast's slaughter of people was only because he was trying to save as many people as he can, as he was trying to turn as many people into conduits as possible in order to save them from the Plague, which was killing humanity as a whole. In fact, Cole himself is presented with the Moral conflict of whether or not John was making the best choice he could, and whether or not he should have risked killing everyone assuming the RFI didn't get rid of the plague, or just save as many as he can by turning them into Conduits.

78% of Fanfiction.Net writers are Female.

Not surprising, given the sheer amount of romancized rapefics there are

As cliche as it is, I really love the "hero has to team up with villain in order to defeat a greater threat".

This trope does a great job of establishing how powerful and dangerous a new villain is if they force the previous villain to have to team up with the good guy.

I always love stories that deal with more morally grey areas such as someone doing a good thing but for evil motivations (which the whole "I need to save the world so I can take over it" which usually makes the villain team up with the hero in these tropes)

Also the opportunities for great character moments, jokes and interractions that can come from the hero and villain having to work together. In my opinion as long as a story has a solid hero and villain with good chemistry together, this trope will never feel tired out.

TeenAngel101 said:
Well some of the most evil people in history who've done the most atrocious things have had a radical sense of nationalism where they viewed the enemies of their country as pure evil despite their own horrendous nature. Joker didn't seem to hate the fact that Red Skull's a Nazi because Nazis are bad, but because he's a patriotic American.

Of course Joker giving a crap about patriotism is super out of character for him. But it's still not out of the realm of possibility for someone pure evil to hate a Nazi. Still super hypoctical though.

Also why the hell does that list put shooting Barbara above eating the entire population of China lmao (Well yeah that act was undone but I don't think that makes the act itself less evil. Would Joker shooting Barbara now become less evil if that got rebooted?)

Ryukama said:
As cliche as it is, I really love the "hero has to team up with villain in order to defeat a greater threat".
This trope does a great job of establishing how powerful and dangerous a new villain is if they force the previous villain to have to team up with the good guy.

I always love stories that deal with more morally grey areas such as someone doing a good thing but for evil motivations (which the whole "I need to save the world so I can take over it" which usually makes the villain team up with the hero in these tropes)

Also the opportunities for great character moments, jokes and interractions that can come from the hero and villain having to work together. In my opinion as long as a story has a solid hero and villain with good chemistry together, this trope will never feel tired out.
You should read the Coldfire Trilogy (which I plan on making profiles for very soon)

Main character (A paladin in everything but name) needs to team up with scifi Dracula to take down even worse threats. Great stuff to read.

Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll read it for my book report ovo

Another trope I love is where a bad guy gets out-bad guy'd, either through being usurped by some until then-seemingly minor threat who was really pulling all the strings from behind the shadows, or a bad guy gets completely mollywhopped by another badder dude who's looking to become head honcho.

I especially love it when the badder guy shows off his mean streak through fighting dirty (eye poking, throat punching, nut shots, etc), it lets you know that he's not messing around

Of course, it has to be well written into the story so that it doesn't just look like the author pulled a plot twist out of their ass for the sake of prolonging the story, or making it look more interesting than it really is. The badder guy also can't be just some random dude who suddenly pops into the story, he has to have some sort of buildup or connection that makes him feel like he was always part of the bigger picture, we just didn't know how deep that connection was until now.

PTSOXMONKEY99 said:
Of course, it has to be well written into the story so that it doesn't just look like the author pulled a plot twist out of their ass for the sake of prolonging the story, or making it look more interesting than it really is. The badder guy also can't be just some random dude who suddenly pops into the story, he has to have some sort of buildup or connection that makes him feel like he was always part of the bigger picture, we just didn't know how deep that connection was until now.
Hmm........

-Love : grey morality and unique method villain

-Hate : too knighty who have bland armor lore and any mary sue and gary stue (expect Medaka).

Gargoyle One said:
Right Imma address the elephant in the room really quickly

Hate:

Dense, Main, Character. Unoriginal that I brought it up?' Yes. Is it wrong? NO.

We've all seen this bullshit, character is surrounded by beautiful women but the Main character is to idiotic to notice.

Now leaving it here wouldn't be nearly enough, the main character is usually so dense that we don't understand the whole idea why the women even like him in the first place which is the entire base of a harem show.

Facepalming at a person's stupidity only gets me so far into a show.
Maybe their cluelessness is precisely because he has a group of beautiful women who want to get into his pants for no reason?

Hate: Stupidly overpowered series in general. Everything gets uninteresting real quickly. And a character forgetting to use their abilities is bs. If 5+ important characters in your series are incredibly OP, not like Goku OP, but like, Apocalymon OP, like, would beat Arceus if they were the same tier OP, you've lost me.

I don't know if it's a trope, but there a lot of series that start off good, but get boring REAL quick and hardly anything happens.

Example

(Thought it was Fairy Tail, didn't you?)

The real cal howard said:
Compare that to someone like Medaka or Madoka and you see what I mean. Also, Arceus only matters like, 1% of the time.
Madoka is a completely normal girl for 99% of the original series, and for the rest of the sequels she's a god in the sky, not a protagonist. Just saying

@Monarch. Madoka in general is probably not my best example, given everyone but her falls under my trigger, yet I still like them.

Jordanbairdcreaturemaster97 said:
Love: The Worthy Opponent relationship. I mean, when has this not occurred in an utterly badass fashion?
Dexter and Mandark comes to mind.

An obscure one, but Thad Carlson and Greasers was always kinda silly.

I wanted to say Kiba and Yugi since it's a children's card game and all, but I have to admit, they're still pretty badass.

Also, Arceus nor Lavos come close o my favorite characters in their respective series.

Pokémon: Lucario, Infernape, Luxray, Mewtwo, Charizard, Eevee, etc. I like far more.

Chrono Trigger: Frog, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Magus, and Zeal I like more.

Yobobojojo said:
Hated Trope;

Overtly happy protagonist always laughing at the most inopportune times and loving battles for no reson other than plot.

E.X.Jaden Yuki
To be fair, you are using as example a children's card game series where people live for the game. The guy only loves the game.

There's characters who are pretty fun to watch, but have an extremely broken ability that's highly wanked.

Accelerator is the only thing worth watching in To Aru because he's somewhat unique from the rest of the stereotypical cardboard cutouts of the To Aru Universe, but the wank for his Vector Control is too damn high. And story-wise, it is LITERALLY impossible for him to be in any danger. It got so bad the writer had to nerf him by having him get shot in the head and crippled, which should've been impossible given his Vector Shield.

Back