• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 10 Strongest Swordsmen

PsychoWarper said:
I feel like EC 076 should be above or on par with Ikki tbh.
Ikki'll become far more skilled when the revisions end, so i'd say hold up for now. Though what can 076 even do against Ikki in a stat equal match?

Sword him. Just like everyone else in this list.

Also, Fire, you seem to be obsessed with how skilled Ikki is. Like, honestly, it's probably unhealthy.

Imma be honest (After reading it what First said), Sion sounds kinda similar to Ikki in terms of skills and feats.

YungManzi said:
I mean, I will say this again;

"This list is not for the most skilled swordsman."

There can be another list for that. This is, "Who is the most effective swordmen in battle, only using sword skills."
Wouldn't Archer (Emiya) be pretty high on here since he can just copy the skill of any fighter who uses a sword? That's extremely effective in battle.

Well first of all, Kyoken Maniwa has the combined experience of over 2,000 separate lifetimes of stealth and combat, can hide her presence so thoroughly that she can sit directly across from her comrades who specialize in tracking and awareness while remaining completely invisible despite them having prior knowledge that she's sitting right there, and has knowledge of weapon techniques that allow her to wield weapons the likes of which she's never seen before the moment she picks them up.

She's like, mid-tier in terms of skill within Katanagatari

The Smashor said:
Sword him. Just like everyone else in this list.
Also, Fire, you seem to be obsessed with how skilled Ikki is. Like, honestly, it's probably unhealthy.
>You seem to be obsessed

I don't think that's the problem here. You don't know the stuff that goes on in verse, but all light novel readers do agree that skill is stupid in rakudai, just ask them (im just the one most up to date with all the volumes).

It's not "me", it's the series.

I will be blunt, I feel that while experience does not necessary equal skill, it should still be used as something that supports the fact that they are skilled as honestly these skill debate get rather opinionated as it becomes an endless cycle of this character has fought these characters for x years, said character trained against these guys for x years, and this character has trained and mastered x styles over x years, rense and repeat. It's an endless cycle...Not to mention we have people flaunting abilities learned "via skill" as if this makes them a better swordsman than one from another verse due to that one verses' skill mechanics.

That only depends on if we know what the person has fought before and how it compares to them

1 million years of experience doesn't mean much if you're a 7A stomping 7Cs

Obviously, millions of years fighting fodder won't be much of anything. But fighting people on your level and such should be at least worth something.

Big wall time

So aside from the fact that a lifetime of training is all it takes in Katanagatari to negate your own gravity or mutate your hands into claws, I'm just gonna go into the scaling of the mid-to-top tiers.

Mid-series Shichika Yasuri is able to dodge a single strike from Ginkaku Uneri (who has enough muscle control and skill to maintain perfect minute control of a sword that produces zero air resistance) and hear a brief explanation of Meisai's skills (maintains complete awareness of a huge battlefield at all times and memorizes the locations of 1,000 hidden weapons so that she can swap between them on the fly), and instantly analyzing and determining their respective style's single weaknesses. He can feint so fluidly that he produces holograms of himself and effortlessly precog and outskill attacks from opponents with 2,000 separate lifetimes of combat while compensating for a broken arm.

Emonzaemon Sōda and Hōō Maniwa are perfectly equal to each other, have been fighting for over 170 years and yet casually outskill the aforementioned 2,000 lifetimes and mid-series Shichika.

Then there's Nanami Yasuri, who we could talk about all day. Just look at her page or the most skilled thread if you want because there's a lot.

Sabi Hakuhei is beyond all the aforementioned people aside from Nanami's potential, and is placed in the same category as her of "perfected swordsmen", who can equal the combined abilities of every theoretical weapon or wielder they could face. From the beginning of his career, was regarded as the most powerful and skilled warrior in all of Japan, if not all of history. It is said that he can surpass the deadliness of any Deviant Blade wielder regardless of the sword he carries, and in fact killed the previous bearer of Hakutō Hari in record time. Stated to be superior to mid-series Shichika in skill and Tagome in tactical ability, only losing to them because he willingly restrained his power for unknown reasons. Has mastered the use of Hakutō Hari, a blade so fragile that every movement its wielder makes must be absolutely perfect down to the smallest detail or it will shatter. He can wield any object to absolute perfection and efficiency the moment he picks it up.

Then, assuming a swordsman without a sword can qualify for this list, there's Completed Shichika Yasuri, who has achieved "Completion", a level beyond in-universe perfection, and which far surpasses even Nanami and Sabi Hakuhei.

Schnee One said:
That only depends on if we know what the person has fought before and how it compares to them
1 million years of experience doesn't mean much if you're a 7A stomping 7Cs
Even then the actual improvement in performance every year is unquantifiable.

Kai the Collector is a guy who has been fighting the best guys around the world for over 500 years.

Nanami Yasuri is a 17 or 18 (?, she should be around that age) girl who has never fought a literal fight against anyone (with exceptions of few bouts with her younger brother) but is the god tier of the verse (being only questionably outdone by her brother in late series) in terms of skill being capable of incredible feats.

Ikki Kurogane is a guy who has never fought an opponent before but swung a sword for what was around 12 years (? i guess) and became skilled enough to do stuff far greater than the aforementioned guy.

The difference in fighting experience, opponents and time is astounding, the latter 2 people still have feats dwarfing those of what should have been the superior fighter. This is why it's wrong to say "3 billion years in one fiction" are superior to "1 million years in another fiction". The author is different the story is different, the author can write about someone who slept for 5k years and is the most skilled guy in the universe, and you can't stop him. So yeah equating years of experience is useless if the author is different.

Again this is not about the most skilled. It does sound like it, but someone with more skill will rank lower than someone who may have 1 skill but is INCREDIBLY good with said skill. The perfect example was juuzou. His concept cutting means an absolute 1 slice against anything, while it may not be much as all he's doing is using "skill" to cut (basically an improvement over atomic samurai i guess), but that skill is really potent because in a stat equal match it would be hard to do anything like that. So even with infinite years of experience, if you have no good feats, it's still...useless. It's impossible to determine what you could do against that, and we would just be "assuming" or "theorizing" that he would have a counter to that.

Experience means composite human at base level. So basically you can do anything that is humanly possible in the real world in terms of skill, that's about it though. Without feats we cannot assume anymore.

Ok ill say this for 076 then, he was the greatest fighter in the Scarlet Kings army, he has basically been constantly fighting since before time itself existed, most of the people hes been fighting have been as strong or stronger than him many with the same level of experience.

He also regularly takes down reality warpers that can twist space like a pretzel and adapt to any assault they can see coming through nothing but skill on a borderline daily basis

PsychoWarper said:
Ok ill say this for 076 then, he was the greatest fighter in the Scarlet Kings army, he has basically been constantly fighting since before time itself existed, most of the people hes been fighting have been as strong or stronger than him many with the same level of experience.
So just experience on his side? No concrete feats? Meh, most of Ikki's stuff should be logically impossible to be done via skill so no matter the amount of experience it cannot be argued that he can perform anything on Ikki's level by sheer virtue of "they are only possible in rakudai".

Similar to the concept cutting. No matter how much experience you character has, you cannot assume he can do something like that.

Genericstickman said:
Genericstickman said:
Genericstickman said:
Genericstickman said:
Genericstickman said:
I'm shocked nobodies mentioned Gilgamesh yet since he's skilled with multiple types of weapons and swords and has also fought against multiple skilled warriors from different universes
He's also commonly fights multiple characters at the same time
Curious on where you guys think he should go
So…

I mean, if you such at fighting spears are better. But if you have a spear and someone gets in your face you are basically just dead.

That's why spears still hold the title as the weapon that has killed more people than any other in history. Explosives are catching up though.

The Smashor said:
I mean, if you such at fighting spears are better. But if you have a spear and someone gets in your face you are basically just dead.
Not entirely correct either, because spears can be used as substitue staffs. But yeah, spears are in nearly all situations better weapons. And if you dont heavily skewer the odds towards the sword then the spear would practially never lose.

Firephoenixearl said:
PsychoWarper said:
So just experience on his side? No concrete feats? Meh, most of Ikki's stuff should be logically impossible to be done via skill so no matter the amount of experience it cannot be argued that he can perform anything on Ikki's level by sheer virtue of "they are only possible in rakudai".
Similar to the concept cutting. No matter how much experience you character has, you cannot assume he can do something like that.
His mere "Experience" let him fight with EC 682 for several hours evenetual incapping the Lizard (He did however eventually die due to his injuries needing to Res).

You still have the hand further back on the spear that you can swing the hard wood part into someone or use it to block

Yobo Blue said:
That's why spears still hold the title as the weapon that has killed more people than any other in history. Explosives are catching up though.
I'd think it's disease, given how the black death started with early bio warfare, native American genocide, etc

I mean

That's not really a physical weapon, and we're looking at it throughout history. Bio warfare didn't really come into its own until WWII.

Still ended up with like a third of Europe dead from something that was originally an act of early bio warfare and something like 80% of native americans with smallpox, even if not completely intentional until it was, but if you mean physical weapons I think you're right about the spears.

Sion can go higher, I just forgot tbh.

Katanagatari can go higher as well.

Also, Khorne is about to lose his 1# spot most likely.

Unless someone comes up with a really good argument against Juuzou and Sword Logic (If that's considered a skill in-verse)

Back