• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 1 AP & Range Separation?

Well, we do have the Interdimensional range for characters that can simply reach other universes with their attacks for example, so we shouldn't unnecessarily mix things up, but please summarise what you have in mind as a potential improvement.
We don't require a sniper to be able to hit everything within 1 kilometer at the same time to give kilometers of range, so we should allow characters who can hit anywhere within higher-tiered constructs higher-tiered ratings, even if they can't hit everything in it at the same time. Otherwise what we mean by "range" will change completely at an arbitrary point.

On an unrelated note, "interdimensional" should be clarified to refer to attacks that reach anywhere outside of an ordinary 3-D universe, without being able to reach all points within the new construct. For example, being able to hit anywhere in time or in other universes, but not outside of the solar system, or being able to hit other universes separated by a 1-A construct, but not anywhere outside of the solar system in those universes.
Okay. That likely needs to be corrected then. Again, please remind me what you have in mind in this regard.
should those higher range ratings say something like "or a construct accepted to be of comparable size" to accommodate characters with R>F differences and the like?

We don't require a sniper to be able to hit everything within 1 kilometer at the same time to give kilometers of range, so we should allow characters who can hit anywhere within higher-tiered constructs higher-tiered ratings, even if they can't hit everything in it at the same time. Otherwise what we mean by "range" will change completely at an arbitrary point.
But wouldn't it be too hard to distinguish between Low Multiversal, Multiversal, and Multiversal+ range if we use you definition, along with overlaps with Interdimensional range? How do we take that into account and ensure that the distinctions are easy to understand for our members and visitors?
On an unrelated note, "interdimensional" should be clarified to refer to attacks that reach anywhere outside of an ordinary 3-D universe, without being able to reach all points within the new construct. For example, being able to hit anywhere in time or in other universes, but not outside of the solar system, or being able to hit other universes separated by a 1-A construct, but not anywhere outside of the solar system in those universes.
Well, it is basically intended to be the ability to reach other universes via some sort of teleportation or portals, including shooting an energy blast that disappears into thin air and hits in another universe or contrilling the mind of somebody in a parallell timeline, for example.
should those higher range ratings say something like "or a construct accepted to be of comparable size" to accommodate characters with R>F differences and the like?
That seems fine to me at least.

But wouldn't it be too hard to distinguish between Low Multiversal, Multiversal, and Multiversal+ range if we use you definition, along with overlaps with Interdimensional range? How do we take that into account and ensure that the distinctions are easy to understand for our members and visitors?
I don't see why that'd be the case.

As I said, I really don't think much of a change would be needed to any of the range descriptions.
Well, it is basically intended to be the ability to reach other universes via some sort of teleportation or portals, including shooting an energy blast that disappears into thin air and hits in another universe or contrilling the mind of somebody in a parallell timeline, for example.
Those would still function largely the same.

Although, we currently treat mind control of someone in another timeline to be Multiversal if they can mind control someone anywhere within those timelines, so that'd function differently.

Overall the differences would largely come down to higher-dimensional melee fighters, higher-dimensional snipers, and equivalents.

I don't see why that'd be the case.

As I said, I really don't think much of a change would be needed to any of the range descriptions.
Well, how about using the Low Multiversal range as being able to affect up to 1000 different universes at the same time then, without requiring affecting the entireties of them, whereas Interdimensional would mean affecting one of them at a time in some manner?
Those would still function largely the same.

Although, we currently treat mind control of someone in another timeline to be Multiversal if they can mind control someone anywhere within those timelines, so that'd function differently.

Overall the differences would largely come down to higher-dimensional melee fighters, higher-dimensional snipers, and equivalents.
Okay. Would my suggestion above be acceptable? It seems like the simplest solution here.

Well, how about using the Low Multiversal range as being able to affect up to 1000 different universes at the same time then, without requiring affecting the entireties of them, whereas Interdimensional would mean affecting one of them at a time in some manner?
Now that I look at it, this seems far too limiting for Agnaa's reasoning.

It should be "Able to reach anywhere within 2 to 1000 universes" or something along the lines, so long as your attacks/teleportation/BFR can reach any nook and crevice within any of these singular or multiple universes, like say, being able to teleport/BFR someone to anywhere within those universes, or firing a blast that snipes a target across multiple universes, as per Agnaa's examples.

But just doing it one universe at a time would still fit perfectly with Interdimensional range, and it is impossible to define that a character can only reach those 1000 universes via (for example) teleportation, and not any others, so I am afraid that I maintain my viewpoint here.

But just doing it one universe at a time would still fit perfectly with Interdimensional range, and it is impossible to define that a character can only reach those 1000 universes via (for example) teleportation, and not any others, so I am afraid that I maintain my viewpoint here.
I maintain my viewpoint with Agnaa, as this would become too inconsistent and illogical with how we do range in general. Refer to the sniper rifle analogy.

Sniping somebody across multiple universes would still qualify as the number of those universes according to my definition.

Seems strange. I believe we'd consider characters from a multiverse with, say, 20 timelines, to be outranged by someone from a multiverse with, say, 2000 timelines. The latter would, at the start of the battle, be able to leave to a timeline that the former character can't reach, and then attack from there.

That, I think, is the importance of separating those ranges. Being able to affect multiple at once seems mostly relevant for AP, and aside from that, just for niche considerations like Acausality Type 3, Multiple Selves, and limited Higher Dimensional Existence.

But the distinction between being able to reach 453 universes to affect them one at a time and being able to reach 4365789 universes and affect them one at a time would be near impossible for us to practically define for different characters, so lumping all such cases together into Interdimensional, while allowing characters that can affect many universes at the same time in some manner to receive higher range ratings, seems far more practical.

My apologies, but I am afraid that I am not going to budge regarding this particular point.

It doesn't seem hard to me, you just need to know a bit about the cosmology and how far their abilities can extend within that cosmology.

But hey, if it doesn't seem like minds can be changed we could just wait for more votes.

I would like to tag DT and Ultima but those two are super busy so any other staff I could tag here?

But the distinction between being able to reach 453 universes to affect them one at a time and being able to reach 4365789 universes and affect them one at a time would be near impossible for us to practically define for different characters, so lumping all such cases together into Interdimensional, while allowing characters that can affect many universes at the same time in some manner to receive higher range ratings, seems far more practical.

My apologies, but I am afraid that I am not going to budge regarding this particular point.
If that's the case why not just add it to the justification, something like "Range: Multiversal (can affect someone who is 4365789 Universes away)"

To me it doesn't seem that hard to define at all, in fact it's the opposite as it gives the profiles more detailed information.

I know I'm not staff but this seems a little bit silly for me to ignore

It doesn't seem hard to me, you just need to know a bit about the cosmology and how far their abilities can extend within that cosmology.
As far as I understand, it doesn't seem remotely realistic or practical, and would require far too drastic revisions in our wiki pages.
But hey, if it doesn't seem like minds can be changed we could just wait for more votes.
This is a policy revision, so I will occasionally use my veto vote if I think that a suggested change is highly detrimental to our wiki, which is the case here, so I am afraid that you need to modify your suggestions here to accommodate that.

As far as I understand, it doesn't seem remotely realistic or practical, and would require far too drastic revisions in our wiki pages.
I just don't see what about that would cause such an issue.

And I think your suggestion would require many revisions, since there are absolutely characters who can, say, mindhax people anywhere within a 1-A realm, without being able to mindhax everyone in the 1-A realm at the same time.

And some pages would need to be changed regardless, like Kimba Laslow, who has Boundless range for being able to ascend/descend narratives, despite not being able to go to any arbitrary physical location in them.
This is a policy revision, so I will occasionally use my veto vote if I think that a suggested change is highly detrimental to our wiki, which is the case here, so I am afraid that you need to modify your suggestions here to accommodate that.
Welp, worth asking the other bureaucrats at least.

I'm thinking of asking them with something like:
Ant and I are discussing how ranges above universal should be indexed.

I think that they should only require one's attacks to be able to reach anywhere within those higher constructs, with Interdimensional being given when they can only reach parts of them.

Ant thinks that they should require one's attacks to be able to reach anywhere within those higher constructs simultaneously, with Interdimensional being given when these attacks only cover part, or when their attacks can't cover all of it simultaneously.

The former is more akin to a sniper rifle being able to shoot someone a kilometre away, while the latter is more akin to creating an omnidirectional explosion with a radius of one kilometre.

I prefer the former so that it remains parsimonious with lower range ratings, and so that it doesn't turn into a redundant copy of the AP section.

Ant prefers the latter due to seeing the former as unrealistic, and requiring too many revisions of our wiki pages.

I would be concerned about the change being too drastic, but haven't been told anything that makes me think it would be.
Are there any ways you'd wish me to change that before I ping them about it?

I just don't see what about that would cause such an issue.

And I think your suggestion would require many revisions, since there are absolutely characters who can, say, mindhax people anywhere within a 1-A realm, without being able to mindhax everyone in the 1-A realm at the same time.

And some pages would need to be changed regardless, like Kimba Laslow, who has Boundless range for being able to ascend/descend narratives, despite not being able to go to any arbitrary physical location in them.
Just to try to clarify again, Interdimensional range is only supposed to be about affecting objects within a single parallell universe at a time in some manner, whereas Low Multiversal range would mean affecting objects within up to 1000 different universes at the same time. That is all. It wouldn't affect any more higher-dimensional range tiers.
Welp, worth asking the other bureaucrats at least.

I'm thinking of asking them with something like:

Are there any ways you'd wish me to change that before I ping them about it?
I think that you have likely misunderstood what I intended. See above please.

Just to try to clarify again, Interdimensional range is only supposed to be about affecting objects within a single parallell universe at a time in some manner, whereas Low Multiversal range would mean affecting objects within up to 1000 different universes at the same time. That is all. It wouldn't affect any more higher-dimensional range tiers.
That just looks whack to me, by that logic, a sniper round would have to strike objects within a range of 1-3 km in every possible direction at the same time.

I think that you have likely misunderstood what I intended. See above please.
That seems like a very strange range system then.

Why do small-scale effects across 4-D distances get their own unique range rating, while small-scale effects across 5-D distances don't?

And it seems like this would treat similar attacks with minute differences but the exact same range differently. Imagine a verse with characters trying to interact with something 999 timelines away, where we know that the timelines are physically ordered such that there are 998 timelines worth of distance between them. Character A teleports a small bomb to the target. Character B shoots a gun which travels through the axis the timelines are lined up on, traveling through all the timelines to reach the target. Character C channels a wall of fire through the axis the timelines are lined up on, and maintains it throughout the entire length all the way to the target.

It sounds to me like, under your definition, A and B would have Interdimensional range (as they never effect multiple at the same time), while C wouldn't. Although I do think it's possible you'd say only A would, which I think is strange, since they all have the same range.

That seems like a very strange range system then.

Why do small-scale effects across 4-D distances get their own unique range rating, while small-scale effects across 5-D distances don't?
Because the former is a sufficiently common feature within fiction, whereas the latter is not. Also, we do have Low Complex Multiversal range.
And it seems like this would treat similar attacks with minute differences but the exact same range differently. Imagine a verse with characters trying to interact with something 999 timelines away, where we know that the timelines are physically ordered such that there are 998 timelines worth of distance between them. Character A teleports a small bomb to the target. Character B shoots a gun which travels through the axis the timelines are lined up on, traveling through all the timelines to reach the target. Character C channels a wall of fire through the axis the timelines are lined up on, and maintains it throughout the entire length all the way to the target.
It is extremely rare to be told such specifics within fiction, but if something travels across 998 timelines in a continuous sequence, it would likely be Low Multiversal range.
It sounds to me like, under your definition, A and B would have Interdimensional range (as they never effect multiple at the same time), while C wouldn't. Although I do think it's possible you'd say only A would, which I think is strange, since they all have the same range.
Again, it is usually impossible to distinguish how timelines are stacked against each other, but simply teleporting between them one at a time or sending force-blasts between portals to them, also one at a time, is far most conveniently assigned Interdimensional range, and it would require far too much revision and continuous long-term enforcement/education work to change our standards in the drastic manner that you suggest here, so I would greatly appreciate if you collaborate with me in this regard.

That just looks whack to me, by that logic, a sniper round would have to strike objects within a range of 1-3 km in every possible direction at the same time.
Again, this is an issue of accommodating for storytelling convenience. I cannot think of almost any cases where the exact number of timelines or universes of distance has been exactly defined.

Because the former is a sufficiently common feature within fiction, whereas the latter is not. Also, we do have Low Complex Multiversal range.
The latter actually doesn't seem too rare. It sounds like there's quite a few characters that are higher-tiered through scaling, or by virtue of being on a certain level of existence, that don't demonstrate attacks that cover entire realms, and so they'd have small-scale effects in higher-tiered ranges.

If we don't allow those things to fall under Interdimensional, where should they go?
It is extremely rare to be told such specifics within fiction, but if something travels across 998 timelines in a continuous sequence, it would likely be Low Multiversal range.

Again, it is usually impossible to distinguish how timelines are stacked against each other, but simply teleporting between them one at a time or sending force-blasts between portals to them, also one at a time, is far most conveniently assigned Interdimensional range, and it would require far too much revision and continuous long-term enforcement/education work to change our standards in the drastic manner that you suggest here, so I would greatly appreciate if you collaborate with me in this regard.
Blech, to some extent I can see the distinction you're trying to make. If a character fires an energy blast across 100 timelines, the attack itself covers more of the distance than if it was teleported across 100 timelines to the destination, but the same distance is ultimately within reach for both, so it feels strange to give them different ranges.

Plus, I think your conception of it kind of breaks down when there's only two timelines involved.

Lastly, I think you're overlooking the changes that would be needed if we try to keep things as they are. Characters who, say, have omniscience over the planet Earth in all timelines would need to have their range changed to some degree of Multiversal, from Interdimensional. Our distinguishing factor for Interdimensional so far has just been "Can it cover a universal distance", not "Does it use teleportation/portals and fail to cover a universal distance".

The latter actually doesn't seem too rare. It sounds like there's quite a few characters that are higher-tiered through scaling, or by virtue of being on a certain level of existence, that don't demonstrate attacks that cover entire realms, and so they'd have small-scale effects in higher-tiered ranges.

If we don't allow those things to fall under Interdimensional, where should they go?
Probably to Low Complex Multiversal range, but if we truly need an extra definition, I would much prefer if you come up with a new range tier that we can add rather than mess too much with the existing ones.
Blech, to some extent I can see the distinction you're trying to make. If a character fires an energy blast across 100 timelines, the attack itself covers more of the distance than if it was teleported across 100 timelines to the destination, but the same distance is ultimately within reach for both, so it feels strange to give them different ranges.
Again, it is largely for practical reasons regarding how storytelling tends to work, and in order to better correspond to our other types of tiers.
Plus, I think your conception of it kind of breaks down when there's only two timelines involved.
How so?
Lastly, I think you're overlooking the changes that would be needed if we try to keep things as they are. Characters who, say, have omniscience over the planet Earth in all timelines would need to have their range changed to some degree of Multiversal, from Interdimensional. Our distinguishing factor for Interdimensional so far has just been "Can it cover a universal distance", not "Does it use teleportation/portals and fail to cover a universal distance".
Well, I perceive what I have been saying much more as a better clarification of what was intended than as a drastic overhaul.

Well, all I can say to most of your points there is "fair enough", so I think now's a good time to call in the other bureaucrats. I've created a conversation with all four of us, with the hope that at least one of them can weigh in.
I think there's even less of a distinction to be drawn between teleporting/portals and other means of reaching alternate timelines in a cosmology with only two. There's no timelines really being "skipped over" in such cases.

Probably to Low Complex Multiversal range, but if we truly need an extra definition, I would much prefer if you come up with a new range tier that we can add rather than mess too much with the existing ones.
I wouldn't mind something like Interdimensional+ that covers my conception, but I don't feel like that'd change many of your issues, since they seem more about the practicality of changing ranges like Low Complex Multiversal to anything else.

Just to clarify, what I intend with Interdimensional is what is portrayed as instantly travelling to or otherwise affecting a single parallell universe or timeline, not visibly or otherwise clearly smashing a continuous quick path right through many of them at once.

Perhaps the issue here more is that I used the name "Interdimensional", which you wish to use for something else, rather than that what I intend it to be used for and limited to is problematic in itself? If so, I am somewhat open for you suggesting some kind of logical and intuitive name change.

However, going by my previous experiences, there is a big risk that it will be very confusing to keep track of for our members and need very prolonged enforcement via continuous information messages on my part, so I would prefer if you simply come up with a new range tier name ("Extradimensional" perhaps?), rather than switch them around.

I just want something to cover the ability to affect parts outside of the universe without being able to effect everything.

A failsafe. Since the alternatives all seem unsatisfactory:
  • Not listing a range rating, or giving it Unknown, but still explaining it.
    • I feel like we're better off making something official.
  • Giving range corresponding to the largest construct even partially affected.
    • This can create weird situations where a character with, say, Low Complex Multiversal range isn't able to hit a character with Interplanetary range because they're on Mars, but the Low Complex Multiversal range is just for being able to hit characters on Earths in other multiverses.
    • In a lot of verses it can be hard to tell which range rating should be used. If each timeline has 8 dimensions, and a character can hit someone on Earth in another multiverse, should they get Complex Multiversal range, or Low Complex Multiversal?
It's not so much about the name. I suggested "Interdimensional+" to distinguish it from "Interdimensional" while still drawing a connection, but I really don't care what it is; Extradimensional could work.

I just want something to cover the ability to affect parts outside of the universe without being able to effect everything.
But wouldn't my above suggestions for clarifications already cover that?
A failsafe. Since the alternatives all seem unsatisfactory:
  • Not listing a range rating, or giving it Unknown, but still explaining it.
    • I feel like we're better off making something official.
I do not understand what you mean here.
  • Giving range corresponding to the largest construct even partially affected.
    • This can create weird situations where a character with, say, Low Complex Multiversal range isn't able to hit a character with Interplanetary range because they're on Mars, but the Low Complex Multiversal range is just for being able to hit characters on Earths in other multiverses.
    • In a lot of verses it can be hard to tell which range rating should be used. If each timeline has 8 dimensions, and a character can hit someone on Earth in another multiverse, should they get Complex Multiversal range, or Low Complex Multiversal?
Well, it is quite easy to simply give different types of range ratings in combination for such unusual situations.
It's not so much about the name. I suggested "Interdimensional+" to distinguish it from "Interdimensional" while still drawing a connection, but I really don't care what it is; Extradimensional could work.
Okay. What do you have in mind as an official description/explanation text for this range rating?

But wouldn't my above suggestions for clarifications already cover that?
No, since they only cover alternate timelines (not any other realms of greater sizes, or across different 5-D multiverses), and only cover a single one of those being effected.
I do not understand what you mean here.
I find the idea of not giving a range rating for these situations, or just listing "Unknown", to be unsatisfactory.
Well, it is quite easy to simply give different types of range ratings in combination for such unusual situations.
We could. Separating range into distance and dimensionality is something people have suggested before, but it seems like a far bigger change to our standards.
Okay. What do you have in mind as an official description/explanation text for this range rating?
Attacks and abilities that can reach outside of the conventional space-time of a single universe, in a way that isn't covered by any other range ratings. Typically by being able to reach into parts of, but not the entirety of, different realms, or by being able to reach into multiple timelines without covering a universal distance.

No, since they only cover alternate timelines (not any other realms of greater sizes, or across different 5-D multiverses), and only cover a single one of those being effected.
Okay.
I find the idea of not giving a range rating for these situations, or just listing "Unknown", to be unsatisfactory.
Okay.
We could. Separating range into distance and dimensionality is something people have suggested before, but it seems like a far bigger change to our standards.
I don't think that an overhaul is remotely necessary, just to be sufficiently elaborate and specific in the range sections when necessary.
Attacks and abilities that can reach outside of the conventional space-time of a single universe, in a way that isn't covered by any other range ratings. Typically by being able to reach into parts of, but not the entirety of, different realms, or by being able to reach into multiple timelines without covering a universal distance.
Okay. Would calling that type of range rating "Extradimensional" be acceptable and practically workable?

Okay, so have we reached workable agreements here then, and are you willing to present a revised draft for the changes that you wish to apply according to said agreements?

For all of these suggestions, parts where words were added, changed, or removed were bolded.

Interdimensional should be changed to something like:
Attacks and abilities that can reach beyond the conventional space-time of a single universe, into external pocket realities or parts of other universes, but that can't travel a universal distance, can't affect multiple of these other realities at the same time, and can't reach into other multiverses or higher constructs.
Most higher ranges should have "throughout" changed to "anywhere within", but I would also suggest some minor grammar changes. i.e. Hyperversal could end up as:
Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within 12-dimensional or above space, without being able to reach anywhere within an infinite or greater number of dimensions.
I'd change High Hyperversal to:
Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within an infinite number of dimensions of space and/or time.
That's the minimum change I'd want, but beyond that I'd also suggest further changes to the range ratings to line up with our Tiering System more properly, such as changing Hyperversal to:
Attacks and abilities that are able to reach anywhere within spaces whose size corresponds from 8 to any higher finite number of levels of infinity above a standard universal model. In terms of "dimensional" size, this can be equated to 12-dimensional real coordinate spaces and up (R ^ 12 and up).
I'd also suggest adding an Extradimensional range to cover the holes these new definitions leave, which would be along the lines of:
Attacks and abilities that can reach outside of the conventional space-time of a single universe, in a way that isn't covered by any other range ratings. Typically by being able to reach into parts of, but not the entirety of, different realms that lie outside of a standard multiverse, or by being able to reach into multiple timelines without covering a universal distance.
So in summary there are four suggested changes, that are all related:
  1. Reword Interdimensional range to be more clearly limited.
  2. Alter higher-dimensional ranges to mention being "anywhere within".
  3. Alter higher-dimensional ranges further to line up more properly with our Tiering System definitions.
  4. Add Extradimensional range to cover the new holes in the range system.

Thank you. They can probably be applied then.

Should we place the "Extradimensional" range tier in-between Multiversal+ and Low Complex Multiversal?

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Just_a_Random_Butler

We would appreciate your input about this issue, as Agnaa and I seem to have reached an agreement here.

Back