• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Rain Guardian vs The Pirate Hunter (Takeshi Yamamoto vs Roronoa Zoro)

Does that actually matters i mean zoro is far more skilled has like 4x AP and can amp himself and has better stamina

I know what Zoro does, I've seen One Piece.

It does matter, and I'll tell you why:

Zoro was taught by sword masters and trained under them over the course of practically his entire life, or at least most of his life. The fact that he remembered something a sword master had said to him and used that to make a technique is evidence of that.

On the other hand; Yamamoto has never had a proper sword master (Or even someone to give him proper swordmanship advice, because he's so supremely gifted with the sword that it was never necessary. The best anyone ever did for him was show him a sword technique) So this^ feat above is not even something Yamamoto could replicate. Nor do I see it as particularly impressive in this instance, because Zoro still had to be told that by someone else and even with all of his training never learned it until he was put in a situation where he needed to learn it.

So compare the two. One needed years and years of training along with a lot of battle experience, and even be told what the technique was in order to learn a good move. The other managed to learn the best sword techniques in the world after just seeing them once (With no prior swordmanship experience) and fought on equal ground with the best swordsmen in the world who mimic'd hundreds of different sword styles... in just under a week.

So.. You tell me which is more impressive.

Honestly though, I think this argument is useless as I believe it would come down to abilities more than pure skill, but I can't let Yamamoto be disrespected in this manner with people saying Zoro is FAR MORE skilled than him. Like, unless he has some Ikki type sh*t going on now, as someone who's fully read KHR and seen OP up to the start of Wholecake Island arc; Zoro is in no way far more skilled than Yamamoto.

P.S.

Yamamoto should also have accelerated development during battle (Along with a few other characters); but there aren't a lot of KHR supporters so I guess no one thought to add it.
First of all, Zoro is more skilled than Yamato. I think you are misremembering Zoro's past. Zoro didn't came to the Dojo for training, his true objective was to challenge the Dojo which resulted in him being defeated by Kuina, who was stated to be second strongest in the dojo, especially stronger and more skilled than most Adults. Upon hearing Kuina's death, Zoro trained more diligently to fulfill his promise with kuina, and mainly focused on; stamina, strength and speed.

Regarding his "proper sword teacher", you never once saw the supposedly teacher helping Zoro out, the only thing he did was giving him a valuable lesson on the breath of all things - the pinnacle of swordsmanship, Zoro at that particular point didn't understood what he meant by "breath of all things". Basically, Zoro the whole time was a self-taught genius, he really never had anyone teach him anything besides the "breath of all things" in fact he developed his own style - the three swords style something that only Zoro came up with and which he became notoriously known for, either Roronoa Zoro with the three swords or pirates hunter Roronoa Zoro.

His skills as swordsman was so well-known to the point that; Crocodile wanted to hire him by sending two people from the baroque works a shichibukai from the grandline by the way, Alvida asked her subordinates if the boy was the notorious pirates hunter zoro, Buggy asked Zoro if he was after his bounty (Buggy wouldn't ask this question if he didn't know about Zoro's skills), plenty other pirates and bounty hunters praised Zoro's skills even outside of the east blue, you cannot deny that fact. Especially, we are using Zoro after Alabasta arc who has reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship - the breath of all things, before you say how does "cutting through steel make you skilled"; Zoro learnt to convey his will to his blade, or to control his weapon; he can make it cut when he wants, and have it not cut even when he swings it at something as fragile as a leaf or paper, the ability to not cut is the power to cut steel aka the power to protect those you wish to protect with your blade.

Nobody disrespected Yamamoto, but you seems to be a little disrespectful towards Zoro.

First of all, Zoro is more skilled than Yamato. I think you are misremembering Zoro's past. Zoro didn't came to the Dojo for training, his true objective was to challenge the Dojo which resulted in him being defeated by Kuina, who was stated to be second strongest in the dojo, especially stronger and more skilled than most Adults. Upon hearing Kuina's death, Zoro trained more diligently to fulfill his promise with kuina, and mainly focused on; stamina, strength and speed.

Regarding his "proper sword teacher", you never once saw the supposedly teacher helping Zoro out, the only thing he did was giving him a valuable lesson on the breath of all things - the pinnacle of swordsmanship, Zoro at that particular point didn't understood what he meant by "breath of all things". Basically, Zoro the whole time was a self-taught genius, he really never had anyone teach him anything besides the "breath of all things" in fact he developed his own style - the three swords style something that only Zoro came up with and which he became notoriously known for, either Roronoa Zoro with the three swords or pirates hunter Roronoa Zoro.
Part of this is a fair argument, not the east blue stuff, but with regards to Zoro's backstory and having an actual teacher (Although he still was taught lessens even back then and later on trained by Mihawk). It doesn't take away from my original point, which was that Yamamoto has a lot of Zoro's same skill feats with nowhere near the amount of training or experience.

The problem I have is saying "Zoro is far more skilled than Yamamoto" If you believe Zoro's more skilled, all the power to you, but you have to back that up with something beyond him being able to cut through steel or instantly copy sword techniques or even styles.
Most of Monkey's counter argument was really just "Zoro can do that too." and just asserting things are true.
Like how he said Zoro's three sword style swordsmanship pre-timeskip is more impressive than copying hundreds of sword styles after seeing them once and implementing them into your own sword style to create the ultimate sword art.

Anyway, If Zoro really one-shots 420 megatons this is pretty much an AP stomp for him, as my inconclusive relied on them being pretty equal physically without Asura. You'd get a more fair fight from just using Yamamoto's High 7-A version. Since the difference there would actually be quite a bit smaller than here.

I'd have to say Zoro wins, but high-diff. The issue is that while Yamamoto could hold him off with his superior arsenal of abilities (Flying and slowing opponents down is very good defensively), I don't think he could put Zoro down. Zoro's AP and Durability advantage is just too much, and Zoro has demonstrated endurance far higher than what Yamamoto has. If it were High 7-A Yamamoto, then I think it would be a stomp in his favor.

Wait so should I make a High 7-A Yamamoto vs Zoro? Or should I restrict Zoro's AP buffs?

Part of this is a fair argument, not the east blue stuff, but with regards to Zoro's backstory and having an actual teacher (Although he still was taught lessens even back then and later on trained by Mihawk). It doesn't take away from my original point, which was that Yamamoto has a lot of Zoro's same skill feats with nowhere near the amount of training or experience.

The problem I have is saying "Zoro is far more skilled than Yamamoto" If you believe Zoro's more skilled, all the power to you, but you have to back that up with something beyond him being able to cut through steel or instantly copy sword techniques or even styles.
Most of Monkey's counter argument was really just "Zoro can do that too." and just asserting things are true.
Like how he said Zoro's three sword style swordsmanship pre-timeskip is more impressive than copying hundreds of sword styles after seeing them once and implementing them into your own sword style to create the ultimate sword art.

Anyway, If Zoro really one-shots 420 megatons this is pretty much an AP stomp for him, as my inconclusive relied on them being pretty equal physically without Asura. You'd get a more fair fight from just using Yamamoto's High 7-A version. Since the difference there would actually be quite a bit smaller than here.
You are misunderstanding the "cut through steel part" during his fight with Mr.1, Zoro already put everything he had into that Santoryu attack and Mr.1 made it crystal clear that strength mattered little. Upon remembering Kuina's father's words he learnt the breath of all things, Zoro while gravely injured and was barely conscious used Shishi sonson (he defeated Mr.1, not with strength but with Skills) that's the power of those who have reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship, that has literally nothing to do with strength.

There is more evidence of Zoro being more skilled than Yamamoto. Normally, swordsmen are weak without their swords. However, in Zoro's case, he even created an entirely new style - the no sword style. Zoro created a Tornado with bare hands, why it is special you may ask? because in One piece it's not something that every swordsman can do, especially the fact that by One piece standards Zoro is a "Human" who shouldn't be capable of creating a tornado with bare hands except he ate from a devil fruit, and the technique he used with his bare hands is basically Tatsumaki (龍巻き Tatsu Maki?, literally meaning "Dragon Twister") without his infamous three swords.

Furthermore, Zoro defeated Kaku. Zoro couldn't overpower Kaku, nor could outspeed him, the fight in a nutshell was who was more skilled. And in the end, Zoro defeated (i'm aware that he only defeated Kaku via Asura) but it doesn't necessarily mean that Zoro didn't keep up with him throughout the fight, considering the fact that Kaku was faster and stronger in his Hybrid form yet Zoro gave him some trouble.

Zoro defeated Zombie Ryuma with Brook shadow. Even in this fight, you cannot claim that Zoro defeated him with strength or speed. Zoro was on equal footing with zombie Ryuma, without using Asura. At the end of the fight, a legendary samurai of Wano kuni acknowledged Zoro's skills, and passed his sword Shusui to him. A sword that can only be mastered by a master swordsman.

Copying hundreds of sword styles after seeing them once is good and all, but that's something Zoro theoretically can do as well. I personally think, there's more to skills than just copying other people's fighting styles, such as the listed reasons above for example.

Last edited:
I almost forgot Mihawk's monke army that copied Zoro's fighting styles. Mihawk was extremely confident that each of the Monke could defeat a skilled swordsman such as Zoro, when Zoro told him he defeated all of them (despite the fact they used his fighting style against him and he was still heavily injured from Luffy's pain and pacifista's laser beam), Mihawk for the second time on-screen was surprised at something, we are talking about the same guy who showed big disinterest in the events of marineford, the world strongest swordsman didn't expected that Zoro in his current state could beat at least one of them.

Sorry, but Zoro dealt with 20+ "Animals" who perfectly imitated his three-swords-style and most of his techniques after seeing them once, while Zoro was heavily injured.

Last edited:
I almost forgot Mihawk's monke army that copied Zoro's fighting styles. Mihawk was extremely confident that each of the Monke could defeat a skilled swordsman such as Zoro, when Zoro told him he defeated all of them (despite the fact they used his fighting style against him and he was still heavily injured from Luffy's pain and pacifista's laser beam), Mihawk for the second time on-screen was surprised at something, we are talking about the same guy who showed big disinterest in the events of marineford, the world strongest swordsman didn't expected that Zoro in his current state could beat at least one of them.

Sorry, but Zoro dealt with 20+ "Animals" who perfectly copied his three-swords-style while being heavily injured.
🌚the Monkey solos Takeshi Yamamoto with only skill
tenor.gif

Yes cause he wins for the most part because of his AP gap. I believe Yamamoto still has defensive techniques to protect him or at the very least mitigate damage from Zoro, hence why I want to know if I should use High 7-A Yamamoto, or just restrict Zoro's AP buffs.

Back