• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problem with Storm/Clouds Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jobbo said:
Or rather, why not just use whatever formula you want?
Deal.

So is the method that Ugarik proposed in OP fine to use? If so, does that mean that only a method of determining the radius changes?

Well, in that case somebody experienced needs to update the relevant calculation pages, preferably DontTalkDT, if he is fine with it.

Also while I'm here I'd like to point out this affects Soul Calibur as well (I smell Tier 6) as well as EMH and the MCU

Lol it seems when we figure out something relatively easy then something else pops up and then we gotta try to figure that out

I wanna know about this as well

You can use the same calc as before. However you also need to find distance to the horizon from clouds altitude and add that value to distance to he horizon for your eye altitude. Yes, that's the only thing that changes

@Demon Cloud altitude isn't really calculated it's something you have assume based on the type of cloud.

Yes, but some experienced calc group member or former calc group member has to handle it.

The big thing left to do is finding the cloud height for the various types of cloud

Okay. Are the rest of you willing to help out with this?

I mean, sure, but i don't know exactly where i could find those informations. I found that nimbostratus clouds range from 0 to 2 km of altitude (of the cloud base) so there is that

The most basic cloud used for large storms is the Cumulonimbus which according to the page can range anywhere between 200m and 4000m above the ground, needless to say that there needs to be an agreement as to which value should be assumed given how much it affects the calculated volume of the cloud.

The standard assumption is actually nimbostratus (Or at least it should be).

Cumulonimbus clouds are used for thunderstorms (Which are still a significant portion of the storm feats, so yeah we need to agree on that)

I agree, for cases where we have a set altitude.

If it's "ranges between these two values", i'd use the average

Shouldn't we use lowball value insted of the average especially if those values varie that much?

I mean, i'd use the average exactly because it varies.

Calcs aren't supposed to be as low as possible, they are supposed to be reasonable approximations.

Cumulonimbus clouds can reach 2 km of height, but we still use 8 km because it's the typical thickness.

I wouldn't say that assuming that every nimbostratus is 0 m above the ground is a reasonable approximation

Both are acceptable, but strictly speaking, it is likely more accurate to use average. Even if the wiki is in the mindset of lowball is the best, and that would be safest, that does not make it the best.

Been pretty busy lately. How are things going?

Have a few people checked the math behind the formula we are planning to use? (Has it been decided which formula to settle on?)

Regarding cloud height assumptions: I would use the most common or the lowest reasonable assumption. Generally we should extent the cloud thickness table with the entire ranges of values.

@DT

I think that your formula looks fine, although the one using Pythagoras' teorem also seems to work when the height used isn't too extreme (Kinda like regular KE vs relativistic KE at low speeds).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back