• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problem with Storm/Clouds Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know where to start with these formulas. Even instability is going to get a sizeable boost. So AGK is likely to go into outlier territory.

Oh right All Might is involved

... My list of feats to recalculate and put on a compelation blog is getting forking Gigantic

@Versus

From what I understood, you just have to find distance to the horizon from an observer at cloud height, add it to the distance to the horizon that was originally used and use the new value as radius of storm.

Given that many calculations will have to be revised because of this, it is obviously extremely important that the new formulas are thoroughly evaluated and verified before the instruction pages are updated.

DontTalkDT said:
Been pretty busy lately. How are things going?
Have a few people checked the math behind the formula we are planning to use? (Has it been decided which formula to settle on?)
Basicly the method remains the same as before. The only thing that is diffirient is that now we need to combine distance to the horizon from observer's PoV and distance to the horizon from clouds' altitude. (Its been decided to use volume of a cylinder just as before)

From what I can tell Mr. Bambu doesn't seem to understand this method. Kaltias has no problem with using this. The rest of the calc group ignored this thread.

The only thing left to do is to define what clouds altitude should we use (Average vs Lowest)

Given that Mr. Bambu considers this method ill-defined and hard to understand, and that it would likely lead to inflated results, I would prefer considerable evaluations and confirmations from DontTalkDT and the calc group members before we change our standards.

I do not understand it, that is true. I will point out that... you seem to have shifted the method in question.

In the OP, we have this: S = Sqrt((R+h)^2 - R^2)

Later, you use 14700+sqrt((6371000+460)^2-6371000^2)

So. What changed? 14700 was the given distance to the horizon, why in the world are we adding it to the equation for Distance to the Horizon? Just an example of a thing I do not understand about what is being discussed. I don't claim to be the brightest crayon in the box, don't get me wrong, which is why I generally assume those around me are more capable. But what changed between post one and post two?

So basically in order for a storm calc to use this method of have an upgrade, it must have the horizon part correct?

Mr. Bambu said:
I do not understand it, that is true. I will point out that... you seem to have shifted the method in question.
In the OP, we have this: S = Sqrt((R+h)^2 - R^2)

Later, you use 14700+sqrt((6371000+460)^2-6371000^2)

So. What changed? 14700 was the given distance to the horizon, why in the world are we adding it to the equation for Distance to the Horizon? Just an example of a thing I do not understand about what is being discussed. I don't claim to be the brightest crayon in the box, don't get me wrong, which is why I generally assume those around me are more capable. But what changed between post one and post two?
S = Sqrt((R+h)^2 - R^2) is the hormula to determine distance to the horizon. You can still use the old distance to the horizon calculator. Basicly you need to add distance to the horizon from observer height to distance to the horizon from clouds altitude.

Distance to the horizon was calculated to be 14700 m. Now we need to add to that value distance to the horizon from clouds altitude (I assumed 460 m, which is the lowest crombonimbus altitude) using either formula above or this calc. I've explained why we need distance to the horizon from clouds altitude.
Cloudscalcs

t makes 90% of them unusable due to leading to outliers, so I doubt it would have been good if it did that.

@Bambu

14700 isn't a set number for every calc. It was simply the distance from the horizon is Ugarik's example

I know. Why was "S =" substituted for "S +", was my main question.

Mr. Bambu said:
I know. Why was "S =" substituted for "S +", was my main question.
I don't really get the question

S just means distance to the horizon

I don't see any "S+"

Your first equation begins with S =, where S is distance to the horizon. I understand that bit.

But you then later calculate it, with 14700 as the distance to the horizon, but you're adding it. It isn't S = anymore, it has shifted to being S (AKA 14700) + the rest of the calculation. I was seeking elaboration on why this was done.

S = Sqrt((R+h)^2 - R^2) is the standard formula to calc the distance to the horizon

To that he added the distance between the horizon and the furthest visible cloud from the observer's PoV

The complete formula would be this
Cloudstuff
From this comes S + sqrt((R+H)^2-R^2)

Okay, finaly I got your question

So it was done because horizon doesn't hide clouds below itself since they are high up in the sky.

For example if clouds altitude is 460 meters and storm raduis = horizon distance = 5 km. Using angular size we can drow how the horizon would look like. atan(460/5000) = 5.26 degrees

Storm10km
5.26 degrees is a lot. Use can fit almost 11 suns beteeen cluds layer and the horizon. That's why we can not use just distance to the horizon alone. Even as a lowball

What is the cloud altitude we should use? 460 meters? Or the average of nimbostratus clouds?

Therefir said:
What is the cloud altitude we should use? 460 meters? Or the average of nimbostratus clouds?
We haven't decided yet. Either minimal 460 or avarage 2000.

Therefir said:
> Island level All Might is back

though I probably ****** up something...
Yes you did. Our distance is 164950 meter. So the speed is 164950/10 = 16495 m/s

(685875725311100.32)*16495^2*0.5 = 9.3308252×10^22 J - 22.3 Teratons - Country level

Now siriously. Why would you use distance to the horizon if it's completely obstructed by buildings

Ugarik said:
(685875725311100.32)*16495^2*0.5 = 9.3308252×10^22 J - 22.3 Teratons - Country level
Did All Might vs Escanor just become fair

... Well then again the following comment to that doesn't give me confidence

I know that, but people wanted to use that picture for the horizon distance because in the anime it was far, far higher, anyway if we now use the anime plus these revisions, then...

Kermit suicide
Multi-Continent All Might

Isn't it like, a massive outlier?

I get that he is the strongest guy around, but storms are so much inflatated with this that you might use energy to mass conversion for feats.

Antvasima said:
Given that Mr. Bambu considers this method ill-defined and hard to understand, and that it would likely lead to inflated results, I would prefer considerable evaluations and confirmations from DontTalkDT and the calc group members before we change our standards.
I'm not a good calcer but I'm leaning towards this.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Isn't it like, a massive outlier?
I get that he is the strongest guy around, but storms are so much inflatated with this that you might use energy to mass conversion for feats.
Storms will be 100% unusable in most cases. There are instances where this won't be the case, but often times this will cause them to be unusable. So. Prepare for that.

Also I find the notions that the clouds would continue moving in a straight line until beyond the horizon rather than bending along with the curvature of the Earth (Which is what the OP is suggesting) utterly ridiculous.

If this makes 99% of Storm Calcs unusable we shouldn't go with this. I trust DontTalk. I also find that the OP makes some pretty weird assumptions in his post. Such as with clouds that ignore gravity and move into space on a straight line.

The fact that it invalidates storm calcs doesn't matter much tbh. If we're going for accuracy, that fact shouldn't be taken into consideration- at all. Though I do agree that clouds should logically conform to the circular shape of the Earth.

Btw I've already explained why KE should never be used anymore

So it's better to use regular clouds destruction method

Clouds volume = 683824252553440 m^3

Mass of the water inside them: 683824252553440*0.0003 = 205147275766 kg

Heat of vaporization - 2264705 J/kg

Total energy - 205147275766×2264705 = 4.6459806×10^17 J - 110.04 Megatons (Mountain level)

Wait why should KE not be used if clouds are moved?

Again Ugarik, the result should not matter, what is logically and mathematically correct should. Moving clouds should be KE.

I also find assuming the destruction assumption to be... out of nowhere?

That's purely arbitrary.

Also, I am suddenly reminded of a very bad old OBD calc about this.

See here for Endless Mike's explanations of why you shouldn't make silly assumptions like this with storms that go all the way to the horizon.

" Ignoring the first two issues, the storm wouldn't have to stretch to the farthest visible horizon to appear to cover it, as long as it took the form of a dome that covered the entire field of view of someone on the ground. Human eyes aren't good at judging distance of incredibly large things like storms that are far away. A crude illustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back