• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problem with Fighting Game Verses

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arbi

"Literally impossible to do" is a meaningless criticism. Literally any superhuman feat is impossible to do.

It is impossible for a 200 lbs human-sized character to generate 100+ Tons of TNT worth of energy with his punches without moving at Relativistic speeds, and if he is moving at Relativistic speeds it is impossible to do so without generating shockwaves that would destroy everything in a multi-kilometer radius.

Based on what me & Matt said about Wonderful World (Verse) being somewhat balanced, I decided to make some kind of improvement on the verse's Tierlist. Chartette and her sis would work as the characters that their most powerful attacks the lower & higher tiers are sectioned off. Basically, Mid-High Tiers that section off two entire Vitality Groups. & the constant relies on one number: 780. In Wonderful World, 780 is as low as you can go to survive a Deadly Blow, even so, it would ravage the opponent to near death. Besides this fact, It'll be hard to scale from other feats for higher tiers from lower tiers from there...

I wonder... Also, I wonder if "Deadly Blow!"/"Recieving my Deathblowing Fist!" has a feat after all outside of Healthbars...

Well it's still possible mathematically, just not humanly. Especially when we consider AoE to be a fallacy. I'm not sure you can make that same defense for "punching a rock so hard it turns into a completely different material".

ArbitraryNumbers said:
Well it's still possible mathematically, just not humanly. Especially when we consider AoE to be a fallacy.
I'm not sure you can make that same defense for "punching a rock so hard it turns into a completely different material."
Isn't that piece of mineral supposed to be carbon/coal?

Well can she perfectly manipulate the entirety of the environment or is it just part of her body?

Because if there is some part of the character's body that's a perfectly humanoid form partially merged with the environment that acts as a weak point that can be attacked, then I'm not sure it would count as having a certain amount of AP via size.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Superman can crush coal into diamond. It is physically impossible but it is a feat that often happens in fiction.
Just go with it, don't think about realistic physics when reading stories about flying caped alien heroes wearing their underwear on the outside or playing games about sexy anime girls punching each other.
Fixed it for you. OvO

Too add to Matt's comment, Beerus knocked an Android composed of metal at least 1.2007664 * 10^34x stronger than steel (Low-balled by dividing baseline High 4-C by baseline 9-A) using nothing but a pare of chopsticks and didn't even break those chopsticks. Also, Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird or use butter to cut a hot knife; fictional characters in general can do stuff similar to those very frequently.

Ehm... I think that what AN is meaning (and Xcano back them) is that is not possible to turn rock into diamond by pressure nor any other method that isn't transmutation, not that is impossible to create that amount of pressure; but afaik, that wasn't rock, granite, sandstone or whatever, it was coal/carbon.

@Matt, Dark You both keep making strawman arguments. Superman crushing a piece of coal into diamond still makes sense to an extent we don't base entire verses off of it because it's not quantifiable to calc it.

It's still mathematically and quantifiable to run at 200 kmh even though IRL it isn't humanly possible. Or kill a 4-A being with a knife without breaking the knife. It's not mathematically quantiable or possible to turn regular stone into a completely different material by punching it.

I agree with Matt, fiction does not follow realistic physics for most of the time, and neither it has to obey them when it comes to feats. If punching a rock so hard it turns into Diamond was calced at 8-B, you use the result given, as simple as that. You don't have to question it because "it is impossible to do"

It's also impossible to freeze targets to Absolute Zero without freezing surrounding oxygen to the point where air is solid, but that also happens a lot in fiction.

People still missing the point of what AN is trying to say: he is not saying that the result is farfetched, just the physics behind it; turning any kind of rock into diamond is not possible, there's no way to calculate it, thats means is unquantificable. The calc is question is about turning coal/carbon into diamond, that is really possible, no matter how absurd the value is (Nerdist calculated it to be 5*10^8 Newtons). That's means that the calc is only acceptable is the boulder was made of coal/carbon (that I think it is), if it made of rock, then the calculation is not applicable. Just to let that clear.

Sorry if this sounds kind of rude but...

What's exactly the conclusion? Who and what are going to get a downgrade/revision/better explanation or that kind of stuff?

Matthew Schroeder said:
Eganergo said:
Well in a fighting game that doesn't have a canon storyline, everyone have equal chance to beat everyone.
Every single one of the games I posted has canon storylines.
One thing worth noting is that in games with multiple timelines is that the strenght of various individual characters might vary between each timeline.

And a chracters strenght might change during the timeline.

This needs to be kept in mind when scaling.

I know Blade, this is why like Soul Calibur. I'm planning to separate the Mortal Kombat characters keys with Original Timeline and Current Timeline where the 8-A rating means while not in the other.

WeeklyBattles said:
I need to figure this out to fix the skullgirls scaling as Double has the ruins of an entire civilization as an extension of her body. This is just part of said extensio.
The entire environment is a part of her body, its not a weak point, it IS her body. Wherever Double goes, Gehenna goes.
Are the characters ever shown fighting her? Because I'm sure that goes against the very thing the OP is suggesting. Which I am in support of btw.

@Arbitrary Every single character can and do fight her at least once, sometimes two to or three times in their storylines yes. Skullgirls is a special case in that every character's storyline is an alternate timeline so while there is no one canon storyline, all of the storylines do actually happen.

I'd be conservative and say 8-A, perhaps Low 7-C

I'm not very knowledgeable on the verse so I wouldn't know a way to map or quantify Double's size

@Arbitrary For reference, those rock near the front in the middle are people-sized (this is the scale when it being used as an arena) and the cavern extends a good ways back to the point you cant even see it, and what you see in that picture above is just part of Gehenna.

I also need to see if Marie destroying the Grand Cathedral would yield anything good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back