• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The One Punch Man Audio Drama Drama

Ok so, I'm not really knowledgeable on OPM, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here

The idea of "these statements are from Saitama himself, so they are irrelevant" is kinda ridiculous, yes, he's not that smart, yes, he's sorta clueless, but the one thing he's supposed to know well is his own strength, him not knowing some of the side-effects to it doesn't really matter, you can't just ignore a statement from a character talking about HIS OWN power because "eh he's kinda dumb". Also, the very statement you are using to defend this power-growth is from Saitama himself, so...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the idea of Saitama growing this LUDICROUSLY stronger by the day completely hinder the base concept of the series? That being that Saitama is like a Shonen protag who's already achieved all his power-ups and reached his "limit"? And yes, I know that there are statements floating around (From ONE or Murata? Can't remember) about him still training, but there is no official statement about said post-limit-breaking-training bearing any fruits.

Also, the idea that "Saitama is talking about technique when he tells King that "he can't grow anymore"" is completely invalidated by the existence of the subplot (could that even be called a subplot? Whatever) where Saitama goes and tries to learn martial arts, getting vastly outmaneuvered by people far weaker than him, the only reason why he drops the idea of learning martial arts is that they are pointless to him, he doens't need them, nothing implies he couldn't if he wanted.

At most, that point could be boiled down to "he can't learn anything RELEVANT from his opponents" because he's so much stronger than anyone else that stuff like techniques et cetera are completely pointless. The fact that Saitama refers to himself as a "maxed out character" is the final nail the coffin, it proves that Saitama was talking about physical attributes the whole time.

Yeah, that makes enough sense. I'm against this ability I'd say.

Genos made it.

Also we can't say that Saitama saying he's not able to be stronger is unreliable because it's Saitama when the opposite statement is also said by Saitama.
Then it would make sense for the machine to have limitations.

Well yes but the main point is that we have physical evidence supporting saitama’s claim of him being stronger than the day before. We don’t have physical evidence to support his claim of being unable to get stronger.

I’m pretty split on this right now. But I still think we shouldn’t take that quote above at face value.

From what I'm seeing Goku (joke) is one-shotting a clone of himself from the day before. If you fought yourself from yesterday you couldn't oneshot that person.

I have to unsubscribe from this thread due to time constraints. You can notify me later via my message wall if you need my help after you have reached a conclusion. Alternately, a staff member can use the @Username notification system.

The simulation couldn't properly replicate Metal Bat's Fighting Spirit ability. What makes you think it could simulate Saitama's full power? Specially when all the machine has is Genos' own data of Saitama?

Saitama explicitely says that the machine is unreliable at the end of the Audio Drama, and the whole "Sensei gets stronger every day!?" is just Genos hyping him like he always does.

ONE did not say Boros and Garou are roughly equal.
This was ONE's quote
後に登場するガロウとはどちらが強いかでよく議論になるが、 原作者ONE 曰く「 ガロウとボロスはどっちだろうな?前までは絶対ボロスの方が強かったけど、 今のガロウはもうほぼパーフェクト怪人みたいなところがあるんで。 わかんないですね。いい勝負・・・いい勝負するところで 接近戦だったらガロウの方が強いんじゃないかなとは思いますね。 接近戦ていうかパンチとかキックとか、そういうのはだいたい避けられるっていう。」 とのこと。

作中描写を見てもボロスは圧倒的なパワーや優れた再生能 力 、遠距離からのエネルギー攻撃などで戦うのに対しガロウは優れた格闘能 力をもって戦うため(手加減していたとはいえサイタマの攻撃を何度もいなしたりかわして見せた)一概にどちらが強いとも言い切れない。

ONE: Garou or Boros, who would win? Before, Boros was definitely the stronger one, but Garou is now a near-perfect monster. I don't really know. A good match . . . I do believe Garou is stronger in close combat where things like punches and kicks can generally be avoided.

Even if you look at the depiction in the work, Boros fights with overwhelming power, excellent regeneration ability, energy attack from a long distance, etc., while Garou fights with excellent fighting ability though I showed off and knocked down Saitama 's attack many times). I can't say which one is stronger.
I don't know how you can really read that without getting the idea that they scale to each other in some fashion.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the idea of Saitama growing this LUDICROUSLY stronger by the day completely hinder the base concept of the series? That being that Saitama is like a Shonen protag who's already achieved all his power-ups and reached his "limit"?
Yes, that was ONE's idea when he started the story
Where did you get your ideas?

ONE:
To start with I simply tried to draw the sort of manga I’d want to read myself. I’ve read loads of Shonen manga throughout my life, and am particularly fond of battle manga. Generally speaking those types of stories are all about growth, meaning that by the last chapter the main character has grown stronger than anyone else and lives happily ever after. So I wondered what would happen if I started the story off with the main character already in peak condition. That became my jumping-off point.
Murata is the one that said he keeps training but Murata has also said his own WoG has shaky canonicity and shouldn't automatically be taken as correct before.

Yeah ONE explained twice I think that the idea behind Saitama is that he's what would happen if a Shounen Protagonist reached the kind of power he'd normally have at the end of the series before it even happened. He already overcame all the challenges and surpassed all his limits before the series even began, and so now he has no real challenge.

I'm against this.
While removing one's limiter should grant him unlimited room for growth, this means nothing if he can't get pushed to anywhere near these "limits", a human capable of olympic level lifting won't get stronger by lifting pillows.
Maybe in-training Saitama could get it if we assume his limiter removal was similar to Garou's limiter breaking, giving him multiple stat boosts during fights and zenkai boosts after them , but idk.

Yeah I agree with this not applying to Saitama. That said, I also think it might apply to Saitama, considering how relatively simple his training was, going from a random guy to the strongest dude in the verse by a shitton in what, two years? When it takes more years for talented people such as Garou to reach S Class level while following a martial arts training regime, I think AD makes sense.

Yeah I agree with this not applying to Saitama. That said, I also think it might apply to Saitama, considering how relatively simple his training was, going from a random guy to the strongest dude in the verse by a shitton in what, two years? When it takes more years for talented people such as Garou to reach S Class level while following a martial arts training regime, I think AD makes sense.
Bump.

What do the rest of you think about this?

Unknown.

Following this line of logic, I agree this it could apply to either or, and something like this should be saved at a later date, whether the series ends first or we get new information.

If Saitama keeps training everyday and since it has been stated he removed his limiter, he would never reach a limit for his training.

I'm going for Unknown for now.

Okay then. Thank you for the reply.

Is there anything left to do here?

I mean, he might not have it in his current key, but I'd say he should in his training key.

I can agree with that. Though, shouldn't pre-training Saitama get it too? After all he's literally hours away from starting his training regime.

While we are on the topic of In-Training Saitama, is it cool if we add his Regen as well, shown in King’s flashback?

Qawsedf's solution seems fine to me. Thank you for helping out.

Back