• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

Hm, I was just thinking about cases I've seen of R>F being rated at tier 2. So I assumed that something similar would still bump up to (Low) 1-A.
Ahhh... Then I misunderstood you, I meant BDE type 2 not R>F.
If the thing the character is ontologically superior to is vague (i.e. is maybe just a finite amount of space), characters with ontological differences can just be tier 2.
Then i guess a lot of it depends on the context of the verse.
it will not be easier or harder, just a different metric.
But this changing metric makes things easier than they used to be. But as I said, there will be another thread to discuss for the requirements, so we'll have to wait for that. Because this thing is still not finished

But this changing metric makes things easier than they used to be.
I don't understand what you were trying to say with this. I can make a system where characters who follow philosophy scale higher, I can also make a system where characters who follow math scale higher, neither of them are easier because they favor towards a certain things, it will not be easier just different.

I don't understand what you were trying to say with this. I can make a system where characters who follow philosophy scale higher, I can also make a system where characters who follow math scale higher, neither of them are easier because they favor towards a certain things, it will not be easier just different.
A system where every character with more than 2 vowels in their name is tier 0 would be different, and it would be easier.

Ultima's idealised system is easier since it adds many paths to higher tiers which weren't viable before, and lowers the requirement for previously-viable routes. While it does place a lower cap on math-based verses, series purely based on that weren't very common, and so the impact of that change is relatively minor.

A system where every character with more than 2 vowels in their name is tier 0 would be different, and it would be easier.

Ultima's idealised system is easier since it adds many paths to higher tiers which weren't viable before, and lowers the requirement for previously-viable routes. While it does place a lower cap on math-based verses, series purely based on that weren't very common, and so the impact of that change is relatively minor.
You can make statements that the system we have right now is easier or harder, but you would need valid proof for the claim. Something that hasn't come to light yet you can't make judgment on, as on paper it might sound easier but we still need to see it in practice, if it is somehow worse in practice then we can always make another revision and change the system to either a new one or the one we have now. No system will ever be perfect so why don't we push systems that make everyone happy rather than a select few?

You can make statements that the system we have right now is easier or harder, but you would need valid proof for the claim. Something that hasn't come to light yet you can't make judgment on, as on paper it might sound easier but we still need to see it in practice, if it is somehow worse in practice then we can always make another revision and change the system to either a new one or the one we have now. No system will ever be perfect so why don't we push systems that make everyone happy rather than a select few?
Agnaa has already said that if a solution cannot be found for this, the right of veto should be used or different requirements should be introduced. But, I think it can be done and ridiculous wanks and chaos and assumptions can be avoided

Agnaa has already said that if a solution cannot be found for this, the right of veto should be used or different requirements should be introduced. But, I think it can be done and ridiculous wanks and chaos and assumptions can be avoided
I think you're misinterpreting what I said.

I said that, to enforce the standards that Ultima sees as ideal in terms of which R>F standards qualify, it may be a good idea to implement some measures to make sure people don't accidentally evaluate by old standards. Such as by only letting certain people evaluate, or letting certain people "veto" certain upgrades from being accepted.

I think you're misinterpreting what I said.

I said that, to enforce the standards that Ultima sees as ideal in terms of which R>F standards qualify, it may be a good idea to implement some measures to make sure people don't accidentally evaluate by old standards. Such as by only letting certain people evaluate, or letting certain people "veto" certain upgrades from being accepted.
Lmao man, I was misunderstood you so much. ☠️

But, I think it can be done and ridiculous wanks and chaos and assumptions can be avoided
There will never stop being wanks and such, there will never be a perfect system for scaling, my take is a very common one from people who have no understanding of scaling but I try to make it more reasonable. Writing isn't meant for power scaling, that is obvious, so trying to make a system that is perfect to the standards of everyone is impossible by our human understanding, we as humans are biased so trying to make a system will always show our bias, it doesn't matter if you're team math or team philosophy, both are very flawed ways of scaling. Like I said before it is impossible for us to make a nonbiased system so the only option is to make the majority happy rather than the minority, and the majority from my research is philosophy, but with this new system it aims towards that team but also tries to give some to the math team, if anything I have said made any lick of sense.

There will never stop being wanks and such, there will never be a perfect system for scaling, my take is a very common one from people who have no understanding of scaling but I try to make it more reasonable. Writing isn't meant for power scaling, that is obvious, so trying to make a system that is perfect to the standards of everyone is impossible by our human understanding, we as humans are biased so trying to make a system will always show our bias, it doesn't matter if you're team math or team philosophy, both are very flawed ways of scaling. Like I said before it is impossible for us to make a nonbiased system so the only option is to make the majority happy rather than the minority, and the majority from my research is philosophy, but with this new system it aims towards that team but also tries to give some to the math team, if anything I have said made any lick of sense.
If that's the approach you're taking, my view is that we don't really have to just have a system revolve around one or the other.

I think the basis of our system, "new hierarchies where any step in them encompasses the entirety of what came previously", is pretty agnostic to philosophy vs mathematics.

Our current system is biased towards mathematics, but imo, that's only because we really lowball the mathematical constructs we draw equivalences to. Or at least, we make it incredibly vague.

I would be pretty fine with taking the current system, setting 1-A/BDE to a proper class, and that would cap all verses that just chuck out big cardinals without having any nested cosmological hierarchies below that tier.

But Ultima's suggestion goes far further;
  1. It makes any invocation of quantitative jumps, or continuity of potency, to be considered an anti-feat, that drops down the verse.
  2. It treats R>F as being beyond all dimensions.
  3. It only lets qualitative hierarchy jumps reach 1-A and above.
  4. It establishes a tier for monads, equalising cosmologies regardless of their size, and dismissing polytheistic cosmologies.
As such, I think we can do a lot better in creating as neutral a system as possible.

It treats R>F as being beyond all dimensions.
R>F argument is fine, if we treat it like us to our own books/movies then it makes sense, I think the beyond all dimensions is a low ball for it.
It establishes a tier for monads, equalising cosmologies regardless of their size, and dismissing polytheistic cosmologies.
If that is true then I do not agree with that part, I do agree tier 0 should be for monads but the gap between High 1A and 0 Should be never ending, even if you threw in everything our brains have ever thought about it would still not close the gap between High 1A and 0.
As such, I think we can do a lot better in creating as neutral a system as possible.
A true neutral system could never happen, we can try to close the gap between both sides but one side would always get the shorter end of the stick, which would then bring more conflict ending in either one side being left behind or a revision to the system.
It only lets qualitative hierarchy jumps reach 1-A and above.
I don't truly understand what you mean by this.
It makes any invocation of quantitative jumps, or continuity of potency, to be considered an anti-feat, that drops down the verse.
same with this
I would be pretty fine with taking the current system, setting 1-A/BDE to a proper class, and that would cap all verses that just chuck out big cardinals without having any nested cosmological hierarchies below that tier.
agreed.

I do agree tier 0 should be for monads but the gap between High 1A and 0 Should be never ending, even if you threw in everything our brains have ever thought about it would still not close the gap between High 1A and 0.
more on this statement, capping the system at 0 is a really good idea, it gets rid of the annoying tier 0 match ups you'll see everywhere and makes debating a lot more interesting then who can reach higher into tier 0, or even breaking the tiering system like those tiktok nerds say.

At the end of the day I think capping the system, R>F upgrade, and beyond dimensions being 1A is the best thing to come from the revision, I believe there are some problems to fix, upgrade terms, or add new things to the system but those three things that I said before should 100% stay as they all around better the system.

R>F argument is fine, if we treat it like us to our own books/movies then it makes sense, I think the beyond all dimensions is a low ball for it.
That's not the basis for it, and Ultima has directly rejected that approach.
Now, full disclosure: A misunderstanding arose earlier that seemed to suggest I want to rate Reality-Fiction Transcendence based on "How it is in real life." That is not true. In fact, I would say that such a thing doesn't really exist (Because R>F Transcendence does not exist IRL. The fictional works we make are not "lower worlds")
If that is true then I do not agree with that part, I do agree tier 0 should be for monads but the gap between High 1A and 0 Should be never ending, even if you threw in everything our brains have ever thought about it would still not close the gap between High 1A and 0.
That is essentially the idea.
A true neutral system could never happen, we can try to close the gap between both sides but one side would always get the shorter end of the stick, which would then bring more conflict ending in either one side being left behind or a revision to the system.
I think we should at least try, rather than just giving into the bias.
I don't truly understand what you mean by this.
It only lets series reach 1-A and above by being "more real/fundamental", and things similar to that. Mathematical cosmologies, and vague cosmologies, can't make that jump.
same with this
If a series does have something being more real/fundamental, but then says it's equivalent/inferior to some mathematical object (even pretty all-encompassing ones like absolute infinity, Type IV multiverses, and the like), that would be taken to imply that it's not ACTUALLY more real, and cause it to be given a lower rating.

If a series does have something being more real/fundamental, but then has a less-real character ascend to that level through their own ability/power - something that wasn't granted to them by a more-real being - that would be taken to imply that it's not ACTUALLY more real.

It only lets series reach 1-A and above by being "more real/fundamental", and things similar to that. Mathematical cosmologies, and vague cosmologies, can't make that jump.
I feel like making the jump more reachable would be the right fix then.
If a series does have something being more real/fundamental, but then says it's equivalent/inferior to some mathematical object (even pretty all-encompassing ones like absolute infinity, Type IV multiverses, and the like), that would be taken to imply that it's not ACTUALLY more real, and cause it to be given a lower rating.
Yeah this just seems to be more of a punch at math scaling, if I'm taking what you're saying correctly that would mean any character that is above a fiction would also not be real, making said character scale nowhere, if that makes sense.
If a series does have something being more real/fundamental, but then has a less-real character ascend to that level through their own ability/power - something that wasn't granted to them by a more-real being - that would be taken to imply that it's not ACTUALLY more real.
I see your point here, with the R>F difference not being like our own this makes zero sense, I think for it to make sense you would have to upgrade R>F to be like our own relationship to fiction. I agree with all the points you presented.

I feel like making the jump more reachable would be the right fix then.
If I'm correct on the gap between 1A and High 1A being like R>F, you could change it to uncountable amounts of infinite difference, being no amount of stacks of infinity could reach it, allowing math scaling to be able to make that jump to High 1A.

The gap between High 1-A and 0 is absolutely absurd and it is never-ending. You can't reach Tier 0 without being a Monad, that'd defeat the purpose. It doesn't matter how many meta-qualitative hierarchies and detachments from those hierarchies you have, it will continue to be High 1-A...

tbh if you guys really want a more neutral system why not just add more tiers to Tier 0 for more metaphysical and philosophical concepts and leave 1-A and High 1-A to mathematics?

The gap between High 1-A and 0 is absolutely absurd and it is never-ending. You can't reach Tier 0 without being a Monad, that'd defeat the purpose. It doesn't matter how many meta-qualitative hierarchies and detachments from those hierarchies you have, it will continue to be High 1-A...
Which seems pretty dumb, but it's hard to get into specifics since Ultima doesn't want to talk about it yet.

Yeah, and?

tbh if you guys really want a more neutral system why not just add more tiers to Tier 0 for more metaphysical and philosophical concepts and leave 1-A and High 1-A to mathematics?
Or let's stack everything below Tier 0 and keep Tier 0 in the baseline.

This take is kind of bad, just makes more conflict with "Your verse doesn't have this so my verse scales higher" arguments. Having more tiers than the amount the tiering system already has will just cause a huge mess of scaling. The ideal state is to find where these concepts can coexist.

Basically, because calculation and thread moderators mostly agreed to Ultima's proposal, but don't actually have the ability to vote Agnaa changed their vote to represent them.
Yeah, I understood why he/she did it. I was asking if would it change the voting because if Firestorm does agree then it would be 7-2. Ending the first voting thing, if Agnaa does continue with his/her side of the argument for a second round of voting.

There are still staff who want to say some things, so regardless, it won't be concluded yet.

@Kairach, please stop posting several comments in a row. If no one has posted since the last comment you've made just add it to your existing comment.

Lol this is why I am so adamant that the conversation of “quality” between different verses is meaningless.

Trying to scale metaphysical aspects that require In-world and verse specific logic and framing to make sense, to other metaphysical aspects is like asking which is stronger, the number 5 or a ripe mango.

Which is more powerful, a cosmology where a monad exists or one where the logic of the cosmology makes it impossible for one to ever exist?

Back