• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, guys, it took way longer than I wanted but I finally finished that summary.

If a character is deemed omnipotent, possessing the ability to accomplish anything, the question arises: are they Tier 0? Theoretically, yes. Yet we have no characters that are Tier 0 for that reason.
Why? Due to the inherent challenge of conclusively proving the prerequisite of true omnipotence. Our reliance on a feat-based analysis prevents us from interpreting even explicit statements of omnipotence as encompassing elements beyond the scale and nature defined within the narrative.

The same problem plagues Ultima's proposal. The assumption that needs to be met is such that the characters are of a nature that they are above the destruction of all dimensions in power, including all possible extensions of dimensions beyond what the verse has or has ever mentioned, beyond even dimensions that the mathematics which the verse uses has, to the point of transcending every dimension ever conceivable. That would even include dimensions real life humanity didn't even know about at the time the work was written.
Achieving Tier 0 status hinges on fulfilling this assumption. The challenge lies in the absence of practical cases convincing enough to substantiate a character's possession of such a nature. To date, no compelling instance has persuaded me to consider a character as having transcended every conceivable dimension.

On the Non-Concept Related Example​

Let's examine the practical example presented by Ultima:
“TELL ME, JOB, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR RIGHT AND LEFT HANDS?”

“Uh…one is on my right, and the other is on my left. And they’re mirror images of each other.”

“I AM BEYOND SPACE. TO ME THERE IS NEITHER LEFT NOR RIGHT NOR MIRRORED REFLECTION. IF TWO THINGS ARE THE SAME, THEY ARE ONE THING. IF I CREATED TWO PERFECT UNIVERSES, I WOULD ONLY HAVE CREATED ONE UNIVERSE. IN ORDER TO DIFFERENTIATE A UNIVERSE FROM THE PERFECT UNIVERSE, IT MUST BE DIFFERENT IN ITS SEED, ITS SECRET UNDERLYING STRUCTURE.”
Beyond space? The idea of directions is inapplicable? Certainly beyond dimensional existence, but no superiority so far.
And then there is that two things that are the same in nature are considered the same thing by this being. Universes, being the specific example. Now, this is a little harder to interpret, as this is of course figurative. It's not like from a human perspective this is the case, but this is only the case from the perspective of the god.
One could argue three options here:
  1. There is actually only one universe and the human perspective is wrong.
  2. There are two universes and the god just means that from his perspective there would be no relevant difference to them being just one universe.
  3. It's a paradoxical state of both being really two universes and really being one universe simultaneously.
If it's 1. then the verse has a rule that "copies aren't allowed, because direction actually doesn't matter". I would not interpret that as superiority to all conceivable ideas of dimensions.
2. can be taken as superiority, but not necessarily one of such a huge scale. Everything that dwarfs universes by an infinite extent views them as being 0 in size, both if there is one or two universes. Now, when I say "dwarfs to an infinite extent" I don't mean strictly in size. I mean in the rough idea of power that we use to even be able to quantify things with non-size-based powers.
For 3. I would invoke the principle of explosion and reason nothing from it.

Based on this statement in isolation, would I say that there is a dimensional space so large that the character must be in it? No, of course not.
But would I say this character has power that lets him destroy dimensional spaces of every conceivable size? Also no. It doesn't seem to say anything of that nature.

I think our main difference in position is that I believe that there can be characters that are by nature superior to some number of dimensions (BDE Type 2), while only being outside of dimensions for the rest (BDE Type 1). Which includes characters that are beyond dimensions in their verse, but not beyond all in another one.
Well, that and our willingness to take an unspecific "beyond space" statement and assume that all conceivable notions of space are included without explicit mention of that. Which brings up to the "beyond the concept of dimensions":

On the Concept-Related Example​

Let's start with this
Of course, people also seem to have this idea that a "concept" is some nebulous non-physical "thing" that permeates reality and is also emergent from it in some way (Which is what most characters with Abstract Existence are, at the end of the day). That, in fact, is a non-standard definition of a concept, and would in fact be a case where "concept" does not mean "The intension of a term" or "The quality of being X," which is the relevant definition for this argument.
Despite being called "non-standard" here this kind of concept is, in my experience, prevalent in fiction. Instances of concept manipulation frequently don't even affect the entire setting. Fictional portrayals of supernaturally manipulated concepts typically do not imply inclusion of every conceivable related element. This demonstrates well that this notion is not as universally accepted as Ultima suggests. We cannot default to assuming "concept" holds such an expansive definition, considering its varied usage in fiction.

Compounding the issue, authors often depict concepts as both attached to reality and as qualities of being simultaneously. Contrary to the assertion that these two aspects are mutually exclusive, our current standards on concept manipulation indicate otherwise. Type 2 concepts, for example, are concepts limited to specific realms and possess the property of 'the quality of being X.' Every character currently possessing Concept Manipulation Type 2 serves as a counterexample by the standards in place.

Quite frankly, his claim to have knowledge of every ever-conceived branch of philosophy raises an eyebrow as well. Especially as, as a philosophy professor in a lecture I was in once roughly put it, "there is nothing universally agreed upon in philosophy".

Let me pick up his boat metaphor next and just ask: Would you rank being "beyond the concept of boats" as Tier 0? A boat the size of any dimensionality is conceivable, so by the argument it would have to be included. In fact, isn't a boat in a world infinite R>F hierarchies above our universe conceivable as well, making being beyond the concept of boats in fact far superior to being infinitely beyond dimensions by this logic?
My argument for boats and for dimensions is the same: It wouldn't. No regular reader would interpret it as such and it is unlikely to be the intention.

In fact, let's bring up the understanding of what we call concepts in some other branches of philosophy. A frequent key aspect of moderate realism is that universals (i.e. concepts in this context) are in fact existing within space and time. This limits concepts to cosmological scale in practice, including their possibility. If concepts are not independent of space and time, having a concept beyond space and time (or beyond reality in a general sense) becomes impossible unless the space is devoid of concepts. As such a space larger than those with concepts in it is indeed inconceivable for the verse.
Another viewpoint comes from trope theory. There properties of objects exist in the form of "tropes" and what we call concept is the equivalence relations between tropes (or belonging to a certain equivalence class). In (the common branches of) trope theory non-existent things lack tropes and, consequently, equivalence relations. Therefore, the concept of space in trope theory doesn't extend to things beyond actual space. One can also do the reverse: Tropes have their properties due to belonging to a class, where the class then acts much like a universal. The consequences remains the same: Being "beyond the concept of x" does not include theoretical things, as the concept itself does not apply to purely theoretical constructs.
I believe in the space between Realism and Nominalism one can probably find a number of further takes on the matter, like some moderate nominalistic views that admit something resembling concepts.
Of course, there is some inherent silliness in even invoking those ideas: Authors mostly use far more nebulous ideas, as already evidenced by them using the word 'concepts' instead of more specific, theory-related, words like 'universals'. They likely have no rigorous idea of the extent of their claims which makes extremely high-end interpretation very questionable.

What being beyond definitions is concerned: By itself it only means the definition is inapplicable to you. Saying you are "power wise beyond a definition" lacks technical coherence. What is meant would likely be either "power wise beyond all things that fulfil this definition" or "power wise above all things that could ever fulfil this definition" or "power wise above all that could be conceived to exist that would fulfil the definition". I don't think it's valid to just assume the latter.
Furthermore, just as one could ask whether a multiverse-sized boat is a boat in the common sense of the word, one could ask whether an infinite-dimensional space is a space in the common sense of a regular person: You can't do physics in it and can't have a proper notion of size. If a concept is taken as a definition, then as words can have different definitions, we need to take care that "the concept of x" can include different things depending on how x is defined. In fact, consider that large cardinals are not even part of regular mathematics, meaning that by all common rigorous definitions of the term dimensions they would not be included in the notion of "being beyond dimensions".

TL;DR: Ranking characters superior to all dimensions, including every conceivable notion of them, as Tier 0 is in theory fine. The suggested level of evidence required to be considered to be of that nature is too lenient. To qualify, statements supporting this nature should be as specific as the assumption itself.

To begin this section I would invite everyone with some stamina to just read this post of mine. My summary will largely consist of a shortened version of it, along with additions that should hopefully clear up Ultima's misunderstanding of my argument. So if you find something I say vague, maybe look at that post. Chances are it has a more in-depth explanation of the same.

Superiority is neither independence nor being non-interactability alone​

This is the first half of the main argument. What I wish to show is this: Ultima's criteria for a quality-based superiority over all quantitative differences (i.e. all conceivable sizes and dimensions) is not sufficient to actually show superiority. It instead only demonstrates that the things in question have a different nature.

In terms of Ultima's summary this replies to this part:
Here is another thing that the Tiering System does: It accepts the existence of characters with Reality-Fiction Transcendence, which is to say, characters that see things as being literally fictional to them, and as such infinitely below themselves. To quote the page:

The current System, of course, also equates that to the addition of one more dimension, for the same principle as above: "It is a valid lowball for the concept, and so in lieu of more evidence, we go with the lowball."

Yeah, so, It's not really a valid lowball here, either: Reality-Fiction Transcendence essentially operates on the idea that the lower plane is not real to you, and thus utterly incapable of harming you on account of its unreality (Which also means that, as said on the page, the gap between the two is "strictly one of quality, not quantity").
Equating this to a dimensional jump is erroneous because, ultimately, an object of n dimensions and an object of n+1 dimensions are equally real. An object of finite dimensions and an object of infinite dimensions are equally real, too. An object of infinite dimensions and an object of uncountably infinite dimensions are, in fact, also equally real.

They're ontologically not on different levels at all, and as such being ontologically above even a single one of those does, in fact, mean you are above them all. Consider the reverse case: A cube, a square, a line and a point are all equally real. Thus being on a lower ontological level than any single one of them likewise means you're beneath them all.

Now, why exactly do I say that they're "equally real," or "ontologically in the same level"? Well, because there's a continuity between them; they're all composed of each other. A line is composed of points, a square is composed of lines, a cube is composed of squares. Spacetime is composed of 3-D cross-sections, each of which is one instant of the universe. Even infinite-dimensional space is really just the sum of all spaces of dimension n where n is any natural number.

And you can, of course, see this by adding together very large numbers of universes: If you had uncountably infinite 4-D universes, you'd be able to fill a 5-D volume (You'd have a Low 1-C multiverse). If you had an inaccessible cardinal's worth of universes, you'd be able to fill a space with an inaccessible cardinal's worth of dimensions (You'd have a High 1-A multiverse). And so on.

Bottom line is: All those spaces, no matter how impressively large in dimensionality they may be, still see smaller things as existent parts of themselves, regardless of how minuscule those parts are. A 3-D universe would still be material in 4-D space, if only minutely so, and the same applies to all higher dimensionalities. Contrast that, then, with a Reality-Fiction Transcendence: Reality is not the sum of a bunch of fictional things, nor can it be expressed as such. To go from fiction to reality is a total discrete jump that doesn't have the element of continuity described above at all. It's not an extension of physical reality, as dimensional expansions are, but something altogether above it.

This might be tempting to associate with a Finite vs Infinity relation, where infinity can't be gotten from summing up finite things, but it's not at all the same: An infinite thing can be gotten if you have an infinite amount of finite things. So even an infinite thing is, nevertheless, a composite of things that individually are smaller than itself. Even infinite sets still have finite subsets. Reality has no fictional portion of itself, though.

And that's something you clearly see in a lot of cases of Reality-Fiction Transcendence: Most of the time, the "higher world" in question is a realm of existence that's 3-D from its own point of view. while the lower fictional plane has fully-fledged higher-dimensional objects like spacetimes and whatnot. Makes very little sense to say, then, that there's any continuity between the two worlds in the manner described above. In that case, the two layers have separate sets of dimensions, and thus can't really be related by dimensional gaps at all.

In fact, given the above detail (That something a R>F layer below reality would in fact have to be below even 0-D things), a lower R>F layer would be better likened to the empty set (∅), as in mathematics, it is indeed the only thing you can say is "less" than a 0-D point.
And as it turns out, you can't multiply the empty set by something to get a non-empty set. If you try to do ∅ x κ where κ is any non-0 cardinal whatsoever (Finite, infinite, uncountably infinite. You name it), your result will always be ∅ itself.

As such, I maintain that Reality-Fiction Transcendence should likewise be above any and all dimensional differences. It, too, will be part of the new 1-A tiers being proposed here, which as mentioned before will be largely for superiorities that are strictly "qualitative," rather than quantitative.
The flaw becomes evident when considering whether the same rationale applies to souls existing on a spiritual plane.
Transitioning from n to n+1 dimensions doesn't imbue a space with soul-like qualities; it remains physical. Increasing your physical size alone will never make you capable of interacting with souls. There is no continuous gap between physical space and spiritual planes. Spiritual planes of existence / souls are not made up of any number of physical things.
So would a spiritual plane have superiority to spaces of all size and be a qualitative superiority? Would a spiritual plane inferior to the physical universe be lower than all dimensions? No, that would be far-fetched.

The flaw in this argument lies in its reliance on non-spatial nature as the sole basis.It asserts that the disparity between reality and fiction is not analogous to the distinction between different dimensional levels, leading to the conclusion that one must be inherently superior to the other. However, this assumption is flawed. Two entities can be incomparable without establishing a hierarchy of superiority.
To illustrate this with a mathematical analogy: the comparison is more akin to real numbers and imaginary numbers than finite numbers and infinity. The imaginary unit, 'i,' cannot be directly compared to any real number. Despite the non-quantitative difference, it would be incorrect to label it as bigger or smaller in any meaningful sense.

Ultima's definition is incomplete. His criteria set forth fail to establish a power-like relationship; they merely assert a lack of interaction without explaining why this absence constitutes a superiority akin to power. In my opinion, a power relationship requires an argument that the character actually has power that they can wield to destroy those realms lower than them or an argument that they possess power equivalent to such a power.

However, this power dynamic can also operate indirectly. Consider a hypothetical bug on the same higher level of existence as the aforementioned character, holding only a fraction, say 0.01%, of their power. Despite this fractional strength, the bug still transcends the reality with infinitely less power than the character it is compared to.
The latter case addresses Ultima's recurring assertion that my proposal contradicts the current norm of not demanding evidence for the ability to destroy fictional worlds. To clarify, I am not making that claim, and I am uncertain why Ultima attributes it to my position.

Ultima likes to keep bring up as a counterpoint that our current R>F page does not specify a need to show a power relationship over lower realms to gain R>F transcendence. He says that "they are functionally more analogous in nature to Durability, since, as said, Reality-Fiction Transcendence is entirely about "What others can't do to you," rather than "What you can do to others." It's just that this unassailable nature derives from something analogous to "size" in the character."

As the writer of the current criteria, I can say with confidence that this is against the spirit of the rules. They are not written to be applied in the context of transcending things that are not actually part of the world viewed as fiction. As said above, currently the power aspect is usually implicitly implied by the circumstances. If you see a world as a book then your assumed ability to damage that suffices as proof. However, the same implicit argument for power cannot be extended to theoretically larger worlds that do not exist in the book and thus would not be destroyed by the book's destruction.
In other words, the reason the rules don't mention such a criterion is because it isn't necessary in our current system where R>F only scales you a level above the realms shown part of the fiction.

This aspect has been evident in past debates, particularly when discussing humans pulled into a higher plane of existence by a superior character. The consistent answer in such cases has been that the character doesn't automatically scale to the tier of the higher plane by merely observing it. They scale only when they perform a feat on that higher plane. This requirement is precisely due to the emphasis on demonstrating power, as mentioned earlier.

TL;DR While a character with a Reality-Fiction (R>F) disparity may exhibit qualities of incorporeality or non-interactability with dimensions in general, analogous to souls, NEP, BDE Type 1, etc., the proposed arguments lack evidence to establish a superior power relationship over any entity not explicitly part of the fiction that the higher plane characters looks down upon.

The Core Problem: The Criteria For "True" R>F Fails to Distinguish From Lower Level Interpretations of the Idea​

The relevance of the prior section's argumentation, questioning the proof of superior power, hinges on the existence of alternatives to a Reality-Fiction nature that bestows such power.
As highlighted in Ultima's summary, various perspectives on how R>F transcendence operates find utility in fiction, and many of these predict a substantially lower level of power for R>F transcendence. Consequently, Ultima needs criteria that not only support his theory on how R>F works but also establish its prevalence over alternative interpretations that suggest lower tiers.
What I will do in the following is to first really briefly mention some alternate perspectives. My long explanation has a section called "Alternatives on the nature of reality and fiction in fiction". I would really encourage you to read the detailed explanation there for more explanation and examples. While a comprehensive understanding is available in that section, I keep it concise here as these alternatives haven't been fundamentally challenged as valid options thus far (Ultima's objection mainly rests on their non-alignment with his specific definition of R>F).
After that brief excursion, we will see if Ultima's three criteria ensure that his, and not some possible other understanding of R>F, is used. If they fall short, there is no basis to assume a high-tier interpretation in fictions meeting his requirements. This would naturally lead us to default to a lower level, adhering to the established principle of ranking characters at the lowest reasonable tier.

Alternative options on the nature R>F​

R>F working like in real life is technically a possible assumption, but Ultima already made clear that he doesn't wish to use that and I don't want to either. He doesn't want to use it since lower reality worlds don't actually exist in real life fiction and I, in addition to that, don't want it since fiction never depicts it correctly and it's a huge NLF.
Hence, we are talking about fake notions of R>F here. That in itself already shows that we are operating at an "anything goes" level, as we really can't draw upon knowledge of how the relationship between reality and fiction should function from the real world, if we already assume it is a fake form of it. In principle an author can play a fake difference however they like, or even not think them through at all, so the four kinds I bring up are just arbitrary examples.
Last thing to note before we get to those examples: If the nature of the fake supernatural kind of fiction in a verse is limited in size in some way, so that it couldn't be larger than some quantitative level, then a R>F difference can not be argued to put you above all notions of size. For larger sizes they might still be hard to interact with (like physical entities can't interact with souls), but power wise there is no evidence of superiority. One could also put it like this: If another verse had a space much larger than what in this verse could be contained in fiction, then that space could never be fictional in this verse to begin with. It would be above the nature of what is transcended. So the in-universe relationship wouldn't apply to that other larger space at all.
  1. Concepts limiting R>F: In the BDE section I already argued in length about how concepts in general can have quantitative limitations, both from a philosophical perspective, from the perspective of our current concept manipulation standards which say they do and from the fact that plenty of fictions treat concepts that way. Many fictions portray concepts as superior to other elements within the verse, including the plot and plot-manipulation powers. Consequently, the potential size of fictional worlds is often confined to the boundaries set by the world's concepts. In real life R>F an author could just change the concepts of their fictional world if they want to make a bigger one, but in our verses they don't necessarily have that power and especially not the one to stretch spatially limited concepts to arbitrary sizes. At least I don't know a single example of that being mentioned. It would require special evidence in any case and wouldn't be what we default to.
  2. Computational power limiting R>F: Lower worlds in R>F relationships can be of a digital nature. But a digital world needs to be run on a computer in a higher reality or something like that. This computer would have the ability to make a certain amount of calculations per second to run the simulation of the lower reality. Now, the more stuff you have in the simulation, the more calculations you need to be able to run it. For higher infinity many things you would need higher infinity computation power. So there is a very practical limit to how much you can put in the simulation. One could argue that is no limit on size: You could put lore into a game and while the thing described in the lore is not simulated, on the fictional level it could be considered existent in the same way the contents of a book are. That's one valid viewpoint. On the other hand, we may see it from the perspective of someone in the simulation for which something that doesn't exist as digital object, can not actually enter the simulation and is only described by lore text, may as well be viewed as not really existing. Some philosophical branches go as far as to say that something that can't be experienced doesn't exist to start with. So I think there is also a valid point of view of a simulation-based R>F having a computational limitation on size and we should account for the possibility of an author might thinking that. The same also applies to dreams as our brain also only has limited space. In fact, humans can additionally not truly imagine higher dimensions. Anything beyond the human's (or more generally the dreamers) comprehension could be argued to be impossible to be part of a dream world by nature. I should add that simulations being rooted in the physical in the higher world does not mean they are not true fiction, just like a story may be tied to the letters in a book but the fiction itself existing in a more metaphysical sense.
  3. Fiction having a "fiction-like" quality limiting R>F: In metafiction, it is not rare to for there to be a "plot" or something, that is like an underlying field that makes up the reality of a fictional world. It's often similar in nature to concept, essences, information, causality or laws of nature. And just as laws of nature often differ from one universe to the next, plot is often a local thing, where a character might be able to just manipulate it in a limited area. In that case, the fiction can not be larger than the area covered by plot. In fact, often the beings with a R>F relationship wouldn't really have any tools to interact with something beyond the plot as that's where their power over reality originates. So anything larger than what that verse's plot field can contain would be beyond what can be contained in that verse's fiction.
  4. It just works: Also a valid case. Authors have no need to think deeply about it and much less to come to a conclusion that is any like ours. It's one thing to say that real life stuff should generally work like real life stuff, but who are we to tell them how fake R>F should work? The moment we drop the "like in reality" assumption we really give up our right to make a default assumption about how it works. Umineko for example has perfectly valid R>F portrayal, yet also drops the infamous analogy about how R>F differences are quantitative. It has a perfectly valid treatment of R>F otherwise (a little of which I will show in the next section). I find it difficult to say that, for the fake supernatural analogy of R>F we are talking about, the author's approach is categorically invalid and should not be considered as an option. Nor do I think we can say that any author with the same opinion would always specify that for them the difference in quantitative in the work of fiction.

Checking the three criteria for 'true' R>F​

Now let's explore the three R>F criteria Ultima produced:
As for what would qualify, a list of questions one should ask themself is:

• Does the higher world actually see the lower world as something immaterial, and insubstantial? Is there any continuity between it and the lower world, as there is with higher and lower-dimensional spaces, or even with finite and infinite things? Can there be?
  • Is this actually being depicted as a matter of power, or, more precisely, something analogous to "size"?
  • Can lesser existences unexplainedly interact or potentially interact with the higher existences, on their own, without any external (Or otherwise anomalous) assistance at play?
Let's check them for how effective they are in excluding alternatives and in ensuring that the nature matches what he expects in general.
The first one finds itself more easily apparent in the more "mystical" or "metaphysical" instances of R>F Transcendence. For example, in cosmologies where the universe is defined as being illusory, and there is a "more real" reality existing above it. Chronicles of Narnia is a good example of a such thing (Drawing from the concept of the Platonic Cave), and so is this scene from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.
Here you see that, by "illusion," what's needed is not something like the Matrix, which is really just a virtual space created by manipulations ultimately rooted in physical things (Brain electricity and etc, meaning the illusion is in fact just as "real" as the world behind it). What's needed is the world, itself, being devoid of substance (Existence) to a higher reality, even if it nevertheless has some mode of existence of its own.

For an illustrative example of this, take this scene from Mike Carey's The Unwritten as a reference point, where the Leviathan is described as "too real" and "too solid" compared to the world below it. Another way to think of it is to picture the following: A character with Nonexistent Physiology, except their nonexistence is depicted as making them intrinsically inferior to things that exist. That's how a character with a R>F Transcendence ought to see things below themselves.

For more ordinary forms of R>F, this would in turn be inferred by asking yourself yet another question: Is this higher world, quite literally, just a "real world"? Are those characters just people? Authors and readers and consumers of media? Are they not just cosmic entities being non-literally portrayed as such? An example of a verse where the answer to this is "Yes" would be, again, The Unwritten, and the very image of the Reality-Fiction Transcendence article should give one a pretty good initial idea of what's expected from this type of R>F. Though, mind you: You can be simultaneously a literal author and a genuine cosmic entity. These two are not mutually exclusive deals at all.

This could be asked of beings who dream realities into existence, too. For example, one such character that would most certainly never qualify for a genuine Reality-Fiction Transcendence is the One Being from Mortal Kombat, who is stated to create reality with its dreams, and yet also is reality: The realms composing the universe are splintered fragments of it. Suggesting that its dreaming stuff is no Reality-Fiction Transcendence at all, and in fact just a feat of Subjective Reality.
What immediately weakens this point is that we are never talking about R>F "how it is in real life", as discussed before. The worlds are, for instance, never truly non-existent. If they were that, or illusionary, in the literal sense then nothing could stop a R>F character with author powers to add whatever they like into the fiction, including Tier 0 stuff. It would just be like adding something to fiction in reality. But Ultima isn't saying they can do that and sets a (as far as I am concerned fairly arbitrary) limit as to what they can create. (See the "Ultima's proposal" section in my long post for more on that)
In general, pretty much every R>F difference may describe the higher world as "more real". Anything can be called such if from the higher world perspective you're just a toy or something.
So what this criteria really only requires is indeed what it says: To "see the lower world as something immaterial, and insubstantial".
However, that alone doesn't exclude much.

Digital worlds, viewed independent of hardware such as worlds made from Type 2 Information can be described as such from a higher world perspective as well.

Many people in real life have described dreams as such, despite the scope of dreams in real life being tightly connected to the brain and the dream worlds hence sharing its limitations.

In a world exhibiting a 'fiction-like' quality, a higher entity existing beyond its plot may perceive the plot as the information composing a story in their mind. The lesser reality has that fiction-like property of being composed of plot that the higher reality might lack (until viewed from higher realities). The interaction between the two can be entirely immaterial, given their distinct properties. Something plot-like is probably immaterial to something not plot-like, after all.

As for Concepts limiting R>F... well, Plato's Cave is about concepts. It is intended to work with concepts following platonism, but the same principle works with other types or even non-conceptual givers of properties... or at least a similar one. Nothing contradicts there being a higher reality of (from a lower perspective) abstract nature that exists even beyond the conceptual level.

Technically even a non-R>F higher world can meet this, as just a quantative gap such that the lower reality is from your perspective of 0 size already will behave immaterial and insubstantial from the higher world perspective, as it has no influence on the world, can't be touched and can simply be passed through. Heck, you could have two types of matter that don't interact with each other and from the perspective of one kind the other kind is immaterial. That wouldn't even be a power gap.

As an example: Umineko certainly passes this criteria. I can link to the explanation blog that goes into great detail on how higher worlds are conceptually different and of higher more real quality, with lower worlds being insignificant. But not everyone wants to read that much, so to present my personal favourite example: Featherine writes in a higher world that Lambdadelta is hit by 'something'. Hence, in the lower world she is in, she gets hit by something indescribable, as the lower reality is so fiction-like that something not determined in the higher world will not have any properties in the lower world. Things literally don't exist beyond what they got written as in Umineko.

TL;DR I think there are many ways a higher world with a quantative gap to the lower one can describe the lower world as "immaterial and insubstantial". Even something like the lower world being just a shadow is in principle just a case of "higher world determines the state of lower world". We have examples of things that take the description of lower worlds as 'unreality' quite serious still thinking of the gaps as quantitative. So this alone does not ensure that no lower interpretation is used.

The second one is straightforward, and is only really a factor in the second forms of R>F described above: Is the "real world" really being depicted as something transcendentally powerful, compared to the fictional reality? A good example of what I mean by this would be this scene from Final Crisis: Superman Beyond, where Superman reaches out to try and grasp what is implied to be the reader of the comic, and describes it as "something immense beyond understanding." The Luminous Being from Dungeons and Dragons would be yet another instance of this.

In contrast, there can be characters who are depicted as literal authors and so on, but whose exact relationship with the fictional world is... vague, at best. In many such cases, you could very well interpret them as simply living externally to these worlds, and as having control over them, not involving total ontological transcendence at all. In which case, they'd be similar to the example of the One Being given above, simply swap dreams with books or whatever you like.
This one is obviously fulfilled by any higher reality that has an infinite difference to the lower. Being infinitely bigger meets the criteria as would other power gaps, such as worlds in cultivation stories that can only be reached once you have cultivated up to a certain level.

Needless to say, Umineko also meets this criteria. That much is clear from the quantitative difference explanation I already showed. That's not all either. They outright say that higher worlds would destroy a human were they to suddenly be ascended to a god, due to some nature of the higher worlds.
If she could have honestly wished "Please, turn me into a god", she'd have gotten a perfect score from me, though.

... Well, even if I turn a human into a god all of a sudden, their minds would just end up dispersing.
Maybe it's also necessary for them to gradually accustom their bodies to the atmospheric pressure of the almighty world, while treading on these steps called 'endeavors'.
And as the explanation blog says language of beings from the higher worlds, such as gods, could not even be spoken on lower realms and contains more information.
A prime example of meeting this criteria.
The third one is just as important as the above two, and in most cases will probably be what makes or breaks whether your R>F Transcendence is 1-A or not: Are beings from the fictional reality interacting with the "real world" despite having no business doing that? As an example: In Bravely Default, the real world is an actual important plot-point, referred to as the "Celestial Realm" where the gods live. It appears to be very much a literal real world, so much so that, at the end of the game, the 3DS camera turns on and projects the player's face over the background as a showcase of the Celestial Realm. Furthermore, the characters are referred to as lesser beings compared to the Celestials, who as said before, are also "gods" to them.

So, that seems to have a good case for a Reality-Fiction Transcendence, right? No, not really, because a plot-point in the game is also that the villain, Ouroboros, hatched a scheme to link together a bunch of alternate universes, in the hopes of consuming them and, in doing so, increase his power enough to breach into the Celestial Realm. That implies continuity between the higher world and the lower one in the sense described above, which is, of course, unacceptable. Another example would be this, which, of course, dispenses all explanation.

Of course, given the above-mentioned factors, such things would have to be very definitely explained in a revised version of the Reality-Fiction Transcendence page. As has been said: Not everything that looks like R>F is R>F in a genuine sense (Including many things we currently accept as sufficing for it), and so I would very much like to note that down.
Honestly, I feel like this one is more admitting that the criteria don't work than that the criteria helps.
It reads like a No True Scotsman fallacy.
"No R>F difference is quantitative."
"Here are examples that are quantitative."
"Ok, but no true R>F difference is quantitative."
The issue here is that this criteria only exists to hide the symptoms of the former two criteria in fact not proving what is desired. This one just says "If you have a counter-example to my theory, this criterion makes it not actually a counter-example, as this criterion excludes all counter-examples."

Take the Bravely Default example Ultima used. If we removed Ouroboros and his plan from the game, then this third criterion would also be fulfilled. So we would take the R>F difference to be valid. Yet, the removal of the villain has not actually altered the nature of R>F in the verse. It just hides that Ultima's theory on how R>F works is not used in this work of fiction.

This is also the criteria in which the Umineko example would fail. Since it went into more detail on the nature of its R>F, giving actual explanations about the gap, it would get a far lower tier than if it had just withheld that information and let us just blindly commit to Ultima's theory.

In Bravely Default's example, one could say that they are doing something illogical and that no theory can account for breaking logic. And sure, maybe.
However, as I demonstrated there are alternative views on how R>F works that also meet those criteria and for those one can not say that they are breaking logic.
The Umineko example, for instance, doesn't seem to be logically contradictory. There is just no universal truth on how (the non real-life kind of) R>F works that would prohibit a verse from having a realm view a lesser realm as proper fiction yet simultaneously not have the higher realm be superior to all notions of size imaginable. Incomparable to regular spatial things due to having a fundamentally different nature? Maybe. But superior? No, nothing forces that to be the case.

Also, think of the number of verses we have that explicitly confirm that their R>F is above all quantitative sizes, so that they explicitly share Ultima's view. Then compare this to the number of verses that have proper R>F (fulfil the former two criteria) but fail to the third one, hence demonstratively taking a different view on the nature of "true" R>F than Ultima. Is the number so greatly in favour of the former that we are comfortable just assuming that the verses where it's not clearly said which one applies are using Ultima's point of view? Is the former even bigger than the latter? Because if a fiction frequently violates even a technically valid rule (e.g. lightning being lightning speed, not applying to many cases of magical lightning) then we usually require more evidence to err on the side of caution.

TL;DR: I believe there are logically consistent alternative views on how R>F works, which do not require superiority to all notions of quantitative size. There are reasonable cases that would pass Ultima's criteria despite not using his theory. We shouldn't assume that a verse uses such massive high end interpretations if there could be and most likely are many authors that do not actually intend to use those for their work of fiction.

I excluded a number of points I could have talked about (e.g. the ranking order between qualitative superiorities), but it is already way too long as is. So I will restrict myself to these main points.
Now I suppose we just wait for @Agnaa to present a summary of his points and once he does I can go and tag all staff members.
I hope we can refrain from further debate and just let the voting proceed... then again, I suppose we probably should answer questions if they happen.
Anything to do after the voting is probably best left to after Ant's vacation is over.

My summary was done almost two weeks ago.
With the newly announced changes, I don't think there's any inherent contradictions within the system. I just think it's not actually fixing any issues with ours (since I don't think equating R>F to being uncountably infinitely stronger is nonsensical). Plus, I think it introduces a fair bit of weirdness with indexing different verses, that make me lean slightly towards disliking it (although far more towards neutral than when I first heard of the thread).

Those concerns are:
  1. As already said, I think R>F has a minimum-viable-rating of being uncountably infinitely stronger, and I don't like stepping above such things.
  2. I think it's weird that a series can add information that a reasonable person could find impressive to their high-tiered characters (i.e. being equivalent to a large cardinal), yet that would end up significantly downgrading it.
  3. Some things which we don't currently consider too tiering relevant gain quite a bit of importance, such as platonic concepts, and souls that are non-physical and more fundamental than the bodies they sustain. Although maybe this is a bad way of viewing it, since it's more like they're still being kept at one jump, but everything quantitative is getting nerfed significantly below them.
On top of that, I find that I generally hold stricter standards than Ultima in terms of what qualifies as actual evidence of being beyond dimensions (as in, things that can make the jump to 1-A without establishing infinitely many dimensions, under the current system). Aside from the obvious stuff of treating R>F as meeting that, it seems like this revision would loosen our standards for that significantly from how they were refined 8 months ago, and really, from how they've ever been in my time on the site. I disagree with taking the highest interpretations of those statements which can easily mean something far lower.

¯\(ツ)
I figured for a massive tiering revision I may as well tag everyone with permission to comment, as more opinions are better than less. But you do you.
Yeah well, unfortunately only admin and bureaucrat votes matter in site-wide staff-only CRTs now. Red-names, brown names, yellow names and orange names don't.

It is what it is.

Well I've read your summaries, and while I understand your concerns and am very much aware this could turn into a huge mess. The explanations and clarifications that Ultima has given, and the, admittedly somewhat naive, presumption that the evaluations will be to similar standards to what Ultima has suggested, makes me think that this proposed new system is a good idea that makes sense. Though admittedly some of the ideas proposed are ones I've had myself, so I'm of course more likely to side with it, but so far I don't really have any problems with has been suggested nor do I have any ideas on proposed alterations as of the moment.

I've looked over the summary posts and gone through a bit more of the thread for good measure and while good points were raised on all fronts, Ultima's explanations and conclusions about the new system make the most sense to me. Any fine details can be discussed latet but the core changes to the way we use the tiering system seem fine to me.

Ultimately my views have aligned more with DontTalk and Agnaa, albeit not entirely. I don't think the current system is without its faults, but I don't believe the best path forward is to treat R>F as leapfrogging past all dimensional differences.

For what it's worth, I still wholeheartedly support all of Ultima's proposed changes, and I'll briefly explain why I agree with his analysis and disagree with the attempts to refute it.
  1. I don't know enough to say if "superior to some dimensions by nature but only being outside others" is even a coherent idea, and my intuition would seem to say it isn't, but let's ignore that for now because intuitions aren't always reliable. If we had a character who was said to be "superior in nature to all forms of dimensionality" in a verse that otherwise has a Tier 2 cosmology, it's blatantly obvious that they're talking about a generalization of dimensionality. To claim that such statements shouldn't be assumed to refer to more dimensions than are shown to exist is a blatant case of being Too Clever by Half regarding how Occam's razor fundamentally works, as "this character is superior in nature to four dimensions but would only be outside a realm with any more than that" is actually a more complicated claim than "this character is superior in nature to dimensionality" and would be selected against using Occam's razor. In a nutshell, we only go with the most lowballed explanation when neither is less parsimonious than the other, and explanations that lowball a character aren't always more parsimonious.
  2. The "souls aren't inherently superior or inferior to space" argument is, as far as I can see, a false analogy. That a soul and space possess inherently different qualities is, of course, not a reason for one of these things to see the other as nonexistent, as souls and space have no difference in qualities that would indicate that. However, this argument is irrelevant against reality-fiction relationships because that reality sees fiction as nonexistent literally is the difference in "quality" between the two.
  3. Ultima has provided overwhelming evidence that claiming R>f's minimum viable rating is uncountable infinity is simply wrong, and Agnaa hasn't done anything to refute that other than just saying he doesn't like stepping above his preconceived notions of what's proper. The same goes for how "a series can add information that a reasonable person could find impressive to their high-tiered characters (i.e. being equivalent to a large cardinal), yet that would end up significantly downgrading it"; if adding more information to their cosmology causes a series to fail our standards when they otherwise would meet them, they get downgraded, and "thinking it's weird" isn't an argument when the logic in favor of downgrading such verses is airtight.
  4. I'll confess that when our standards for tiers were refined 8 months ago, I was happily cheering on the new restrictions because I bought into the idea that not having them would be heavily fallacious and allow unwarranted extrapolations. However, that was only because Ultima simply didn't make a good enough case against the restrictions at the time, which he certainly has with this new thread, and I was among the first to cast my old preconceptions aside. That a thread loosens standards or significantly changes site policy is not evidence against it, and an unwillingness to follow the evidence and see where it goes is poison.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I still wholeheartedly support all of Ultima's proposed changes, and I'll briefly explain why I agree with his analysis and disagree with the attempts to refute it.
  1. I don't know enough to say if "superior to some dimensions by nature but only being outside others" is even a coherent idea, and my intuition would seem to say it isn't, but let's ignore that for now because intuitions aren't always reliable. If we had a character who was said to be "superior in nature to all forms of dimensionality" in a verse that otherwise has a Tier 2 cosmology, it's blatantly obvious to that they're talking about a generalization of dimensionality. To claim that such statements shouldn't be assumed to refer to more dimensions than are shown to exist is a blatant case of being Too Clever by Half regarding how Occam's razor fundamentally works, as "this character is superior in nature to four dimensions but would only be outside a realm with any more than that" is actually a more complicated claim than "this character is superior in nature to dimensionality" and would be selected against using Occam's razor. In a nutshell, we only go with the most lowballed explanation when neither is less parsimonious than the other, and explanations that lowball a character aren't always more parsimonious.
  2. The "souls aren't inherently superior or inferior to space" argument is, as far as I can see, a false analogy. That a soul and space possess inherently different qualities is, of course, not a reason for one of these things to see the other as nonexistent, as souls and space have no difference in qualities that would indicate that. However, this argument is irrelevant against reality-fiction relationships because that reality sees fiction as nonexistent literally is the difference in "quality" between the two.
  3. Ultima has provided overwhelming evidence that claiming R>f's minimum viable rating is uncountable infinity is simply wrong, and Agnaa hasn't done anything to refute that other than just saying he doesn't like stepping above his preconceived notions of what's proper. The same goes for how "a series can add information that a reasonable person could find impressive to their high-tiered characters (i.e. being equivalent to a large cardinal), yet that would end up significantly downgrading it"; if adding more information to their cosmology causes a series to fail our standards when they otherwise would meet them, they get downgraded, and "thinking it's weird" isn't an argument when the logic in favor of downgrading such verses is airtight.
  4. I'll confess that when our standards for tiers were refined 8 months ago, I was happily cheering on the new restrictions because I bought into the idea that not having them would be heavily fallacious and allow unwarranted extrapolations. However, that was only because Ultima simply didn't make a good enough case against the restrictions at the time, which he certainly has with this new thread, and I was among the first to cast my old preconceptions aside. That a thread loosens standards or significantly changes site policy is not evidence against it, and an unwillingness to follow the evidence and see where it goes is poison.
On that note, I'll start tallying up the votes.
  • Agree: Ultima_Reality (thread starter), Everything12, Planck69, IdiosyncraticLawyer
  • Disagree: DontTalkDT, Agnaa, Deagonx
  • Neutral: Propellus
Can you remove me from that vote tally please, I don't feel comfortable voting here

Alright everyone, please read this, this and this post thoroughly and say what you agree with and what not. Thank you!
I was already not really for Ultima's proposal and all the issues that you and Agnaa presented were my initial problems but explained well.

So overall I'm not for the change, though I do agree with DT that R>F has issues and would need to be rewritten.

I was already not really for Ultima's proposal and all the issues that you and Agnaa presented were my initial problems but explained well.

So overall I'm not for the change, though I do agree with DT that R>F has issues and would need to be rewritten.
Noted.

Ultima has provided overwhelming evidence that claiming R>f's minimum viable rating is uncountable infinity is simply wrong, and Agnaa hasn't done anything to refute that other than just saying he doesn't like stepping above his preconceived notions of what's proper.
Could you link to where this happened?

Because I remember giving what I view as a coherent reason for uncountable infinity being a minimum viable rating:
Because it encompasses the broadly common feature of R>F; of being able to effortlessly mold it [lower-tiered things], and to being immutable to effects from it.
Which I didn't get a satisfying response to.
The same goes for how "a series can add information that a reasonable person could find impressive to their high-tiered characters (i.e. being equivalent to a large cardinal), yet that would end up significantly downgrading it"; if adding more information to their cosmology causes a series to fail our standards when they otherwise would meet them, they get downgraded, and "thinking it's weird" isn't an argument when the logic in favor of downgrading such verses is airtight.
I think it's indicative that Ultima's proposed standards are, essentially, insufficient. Many of our standards are quite good; if you do the work required to meet them, it's going to be quite the monumental task to build up enough contradictions that it outweighs that evidence. And such standards reasonably align with general thoughts on those things, that it's unlikely a series would have enough of those contradictions in the first place.

It's indicative that the underlying principles aren't actually widely-held, when applied to verses with such little evidence.
That a thread loosens standards or significantly changes site policy is not evidence against it, and an unwillingness to follow the evidence and see where it goes is poison.
I'm not unwilling to follow the evidence. As I said, I think the evidence is lacking, in that I see this solving no objective issues, having no objective issues, but making arbitrary choices which I think are bad.

EDIT: Actually, I guess you could say Ultima's idea solves the issue of the mathematical equivalent of being beyond all dimensions, but I'd rather resolve that by:
  1. Changing High 1-A to start at V (Ultima's suggestion would have V be Low 1-A).
  2. Altering pretty much nothing else about the way our system operates.
So it would just downgrade verses that get to High 1-A/0 through big number, and verses that concretely establish constructs as being "beyond all dimensions", but end up having those constructs as being smaller than particular cardinals or V.

The rest would just be equalised up through their hierarchy jumps, as they already are.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't have time to respond. @Ultima_Reality Thoughts?
I obviously have a lot of thoughts, but whatever I say now will just spark further argumentation, which is something that was officially closed down when the voting started. No real point in arguing amongst ourselves now. So, really, I will just step down if someone has a direct question to me about my proposed system.

I do see good points on both sides and especially DontTalkDT's concerns for how the term "Omnipotence" can be overused or prone to be taken out of context. But I ultimately lean towards supporting Ultima's proposals for how the R>F stuff will be treated even if it may be someone rare for the examples he reveals to be elaborately expansive for what he describes as a true R>F.

I do see good points on both sides and especially DontTalkDT's concerns for how the term "Omnipotence" can be overused or prone to be taken out of context. But I ultimately lean towards supporting Ultima's proposals for how the R>F stuff will be treated even if it may be someone rare for the examples he reveals to be elaborately expansive for what he describes as a true R>F.
Noted.

There seem to be some mathematical and philosophical controversies here. In calculus and arithmetics, zero times infinity is not zero but rather equal to an indeterminate product. There are far too many contradictions in set theory to conclude this and it's not as simple as people might think, especially considering the lack of application of set theory to quantum physics and simple real-life circumstances, contradicted by simple mathematic arithmetics and calculus.

Here's a simple proof of all the contradictions of this discussion:

main-qimg-defccb8af8e263df37d4c2b4e6c7e006-lq

The concept of zero isn't as simple as people might think. I'm not going to specify too much but I hope my argument is simple enough.

Interdeterminant form products should reconsider the basics and the entire basis of this thread, as it all stemmed from infinity times zero. Otherwise, I don't know shit about set theory. However, DT's proposition sounds far more reasonable to me.
ngl I'm actually kinda shocked that no one attacked the empty set argument using something like this sooner. I honestly thought that it would be among the first things brought up against it.

You deleted the comment, so, mind you, I'm writing this for the sake of clarification, not argument: "0 times infinity is always 0" has never been the basis of this thread whatsoever. As one can see by my summaries above: I did general arguments first, and then the empty set thing came in the midst of it. You can also see that by how this discussion involved the tiering of Beyond-Dimensional Existence, too, to which I never used the empty set logic.

Don't get me wrong, though. The empty set argument isn't wrong at all, because the empty set and "0" in bare arithmetic are two quite different beasts, just as aleph numbers and the "∞" that shows up in calculus are two quite different things. The empty set is, well, the set containing nothing, while 0 is an address in the real number line, which generally speaking is slapped onto several different things. Largely, the empty set was picked for the argument because it specifically expresses the notion of "A lack of things," and also is technically the only thing in mathematics that's "lesser" than a 0-dimensional point. The bare notion of "0" doesn't really express anything on its own and instantiates itself in a bunch of different things with completely different behaviors.

I already talked about this a bit in the OP, too. For example, technically, a null set is really just a set of measure 0 (A 2-D object has 0 volume, a 1-D object has 0 area, yada yada), but an uncountably infinite union of null sets isn't necessarily null (A cube is the union of uncountably infinite squares. Any set whatsoever is the union of 0-D singletons, etc). So, both null sets and the empty set are, in a sense, "0", with the former denoting an object whose n-volume (For some n ≥ 1) is 0, and the latter denoting an object whose cardinality is 0, but they're both different things with different properties.

So it's not like set theory has contradictions, or anything. It's simply a different area of math concerned with different things (It's the study of collections and of amounts of things), and so its "0" is likewise a bit different. In day-to-day mathematics, you are not going to be defining numbers as being sets, and so they will obviously behave differently from their counterparts in set theory, where you do define ("Simulate" would be a more accurate word for it) numbers through sets, mostly.

Last edited:
Are there any stricter requirements or is this just anything that meets the bare minimum for RF?
The requirements get harsher but if you qualify for it then it becomes 1-A.

So K.E.V.I.N. from the MCU wouldn't count since lower narrative people can interact with it but the Luminous Being from D&D would since they would meet all of the qualifications.

The requirements get harsher but if you qualify for it then it becomes 1-A.

So K.E.V.I.N. from the MCU wouldn't count since lower narrative people can interact with it
Is this a change from our current standards? Our page on Reality-Fiction Transcendence already includes such a disqualifier:

In edge cases, where it is unclear whether a depiction qualifies as truly viewing a world as fiction, the most important deciding factor is whether the depiction justifies an assumption of qualitative superiority for the same reasons as the above mentioned general cases. I.e. one should ask oneself: Is it by nature of the depiction likely that nothing that happens in the 'fictional world', no matter how powerful, could affect the 'real world' due to the fictional nature of the former?
I don't believe the proposals involve adding any disqualifiers that do not already exist or adding requirements that do not already exist, but it's entirely possible that I missed something amidst this massive discussion, so if that is the case can we get a concrete list of which qualifiers/disqualifiers are being added to our R>F standards?

Ultima outlined his standards for which examples of R>F qualify in his summary post:

• Does the higher world actually see the lower world as something immaterial, and insubstantial? Is there any continuity between it and the lower world, as there is with higher and lower-dimensional spaces, or even with finite and infinite things? Can there be?
  • Is this actually being depicted as a matter of power, or, more precisely, something analogous to "size"?
  • Can lesser existences unexplainedly interact or potentially interact with the higher existences, on their own, without any external (Or otherwise anomalous) assistance at play?
He then goes on to elaborate; you can read more there.

He appears to view those as being more strict than our current standards.

Given how he'd also immediately disqualify any verse that has quantitative differences encompass R>F differences (having R>F exist alongside, or below, large numbers of spaces that aren't themselves more real), I'm inclined to agree, but wonder just how many more series it will disqualify in practice.

Last edited:
The new system is notably stricter, as any form of interaction with a higher reality that doesn't involve an equal or higher reality will be considered invalid for a proper Reality-Fiction Relationship. Even the likes of absorbing the leftover energy of a higher entity to ascend to a similar existence would be invalid, as the 'fictional' character absorbing the 'real' energy would count as an interaction that is an anti-feat.

So while our current system might say fiction can't interact with reality, currently we treat them as able to under certain situation, but if we stick to this new system is intended then that would no longer be the case, as even ascending to enter the real world or reaching a similar existence would be invalid unless a 'real' being prompts it, which is unlike how we currently treat it.

@Firestorm808

But... with that said, I've come to realize that people indeed take Reality-Fiction Transcendence far, far more lightly than I do, presumably because the association with something as meager as a dimensional jump has led them to become unconcerned with what the concept of it entails.

Before writing this summary, I took the time to do some digging and found that some characters are currently accepted as holding a Reality-Fiction Transcendence over a reality due to some pieces of evidence that are rather underwhelming. These profiles, for instance, treat purely visual depictions of characters viewing reality as TV channels, or a film, as gameboards, as evidence of R>F.

As I've said before, I more or less completely reject the usage of such things as primary evidence for a Reality-Fiction Transcendence. Those would be relegated to being supplementary evidence, at best, but alone would never suffice. And as has already been said, I likewise have very little sympathy for gag feats and the like.

The first one finds itself more easily apparent in the more "mystical" or "metaphysical" instances of R>F Transcendence. For example, in cosmologies where the universe is defined as being illusory, and there is a "more real" reality existing above it. Chronicles of Narnia is a good example of a such thing (Drawing from the concept of the Platonic Cave), and so is this scene from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.
Here you see that, by "illusion," what's needed is not something like the Matrix, which is really just a virtual space created by manipulations ultimately rooted in physical things (Brain electricity and etc, meaning the illusion is in fact just as "real" as the world behind it). What's needed is the world, itself, being devoid of substance (Existence) to a higher reality, even if it nevertheless has some mode of existence of its own.

For an illustrative example of this, take this scene from Mike Carey's The Unwritten as a reference point, where the Leviathan is described as "too real" and "too solid" compared to the world below it. Another way to think of it is to picture the following: A character with Nonexistent Physiology, except their nonexistence is depicted as making them intrinsically inferior to things that exist. That's how a character with a R>F Transcendence ought to see things below themselves.

For more ordinary forms of R>F, this would in turn be inferred by asking yourself yet another question: Is this higher world, quite literally, just a "real world"? Are those characters just people? Authors and readers and consumers of media? Are they not just cosmic entities being non-literally portrayed as such? An example of a verse where the answer to this is "Yes" would be, again, The Unwritten, and the very image of the Reality-Fiction Transcendence article should give one a pretty good initial idea of what's expected from this type of R>F. Though, mind you: You can be simultaneously a literal author and a genuine cosmic entity. These two are not mutually exclusive deals at all.

This could be asked of beings who dream realities into existence, too. For example, one such character that would most certainly never qualify for a genuine Reality-Fiction Transcendence is the One Being from Mortal Kombat, who is stated to create reality with its dreams, and yet also is reality: The realms composing the universe are splintered fragments of it. Suggesting that its dreaming stuff is no Reality-Fiction Transcendence at all, and in fact just a feat of Subjective Reality.

The second one is straightforward, and is only really a factor in the second forms of R>F described above: Is the "real world" really being depicted as something transcendentally powerful, compared to the fictional reality? A good example of what I mean by this would be this scene from Final Crisis: Superman Beyond, where Superman reaches out to try and grasp what is implied to be the reader of the comic, and describes it as "something immense beyond understanding." The Luminous Being from Dungeons and Dragons would be yet another instance of this.

In contrast, there can be characters who are depicted as literal authors and so on, but whose exact relationship with the fictional world is... vague, at best. In many such cases, you could very well interpret them as simply living externally to these worlds, and as having control over them, not involving total ontological transcendence at all. In which case, they'd be similar to the example of the One Being given above, simply swap dreams with books or whatever you like.

The third one is just as important as the above two, and in most cases will probably be what makes or breaks whether your R>F Transcendence is 1-A or not: Are beings from the fictional reality interacting with the "real world" despite having no business doing that? As an example: In Bravely Default, the real world is an actual important plot-point, referred to as the "Celestial Realm" where the gods live. It appears to be very much a literal real world, so much so that, at the end of the game, the 3DS camera turns on and projects the player's face over the background as a showcase of the Celestial Realm. Furthermore, the characters are referred to as lesser beings compared to the Celestials, who as said before, are also "gods" to them.

So, that seems to have a good case for a Reality-Fiction Transcendence, right? No, not really, because a plot-point in the game is also that the villain, Ouroboros, hatched a scheme to link together a bunch of alternate universes, in the hopes of consuming them and, in doing so, increase his power enough to breach into the Celestial Realm. That implies continuity between the higher world and the lower one in the sense described above, which is, of course, unacceptable. Another example would be this, which, of course, dispenses all explanation.

Of course, given the above-mentioned factors, such things would have to be very definitely explained in a revised version of the Reality-Fiction Transcendence page. As has been said: Not everything that looks like R>F is R>F in a genuine sense (Including many things we currently accept as sufficing for it), and so I would very much like to note that down.

See this exchange for some additional information. You can also click on my username in the quote box above to scroll back and read my summary.

So while our current system might say fiction can't interact with reality, currently we treat them as able to under certain situation,
This seems less of a change in strictness and more of a crackdown on verses that never should've been granted R>F in the first place per the existing standards.

This seems less of a change in strictness and more of a crackdown on verses that never should've been granted R>F in the first place per the existing standards.
I wouldn't really agree, but at that point it's basically a semantics issue. It's either:

1. Reality-Fiction Transcendence is becoming stricter because of the introduction of new standards

or

2. Reality-Fiction Transcendence should be this strict, but practically speaking isn't (And even people on the staff team don't know that it should be this strict), and one of the effects of this revision is the issue being rectified.

Both ultimately result in "A lot of characters who people (Even a good deal of staff members) think have R>F really don't." So, on the practical level, it is becoming far stricter, yes.

I wouldn't really characterize that as a semantics issue. There is a big difference between "We are making our standards more strict" and "Our standards are remaining the same, but will finally be enforced with the appropriate level of scrutiny."

If it is the former, then we need to clarify what standards are being added. Reality-Fiction Transcendence isn't unique in that regard, a lot of our standards get ignored or misapplied. That's what the revision process is essentially all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back