• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

Let's not turn this into a DC debate thread.
If he is to make some arduous claim then it's best be answered then. Unless we just pick our big boy pants and move one. However there is nothing wrong with it at the current moment since DC and Marvel are more popular with most of the wiki members.

If you have a thing X such that "X would exist if it weren't for these laws and rules," then that thing is automatically not a Monad, since the Monad cannot be subject to anything outside of itself, on account of its self-sufficiency and independence from anything at all. If it exists, it's something that necessarily exists. Which is to say, it exists by definition.

If it doesn't exist, it's not because "These laws and rules prevent it from existing." It simply... doesn't. That doesn't introduce any problems when it comes to comparing cosmologies.

It’s more like “X can’t exist because of these rules and laws”. For example, if a story states that souls cannot exist, then they simply don’t exist. Nothing in the story would become a soul if the rules were arbitrarily changed without arbitrarily adding a soul into the story.

My question is why is a cosmology with a monad “stronger” than a cosmology where a monad cannot exist?

For example, if a story states that souls cannot exist, then they simply don’t exist. Nothing in the story would become a soul if the rules were arbitrarily changed without arbitrarily adding a soul into the story.
This wouldn't mean that a soul couldn't be stronger than something in that verse or the verse itself, if we were drawing a comparison between two different works of fiction. If a story says its impossible to go faster than light, it does not mean that FTL characters get slowed down in match ups with characters from the no-FTL verse.

Essentially, the fact that something "can't exist" in one verse does not inform any meaningful conclusions about comparative scaling between it and verses where that thing does exist.

Last edited:
I think it's the best example of it, from my knowledge on the character it's just the player themselves who manipulate all aspects of the game.
Yeah that is, exactly, why it wouldn't ever be Tier 0.

It’s more like “X can’t exist because of these rules and laws”. For example, if a story states that souls cannot exist, then they simply don’t exist. Nothing in the story would become a soul if the rules were arbitrarily changed without arbitrarily adding a soul into the story.

My question is why is a cosmology with a monad “stronger” than a cosmology where a monad cannot exist?
I think what Deagon said already sufficiently answers this, though I'd note that, by then, what you're talking about aren't really "rules" of the verse, so much as brute facts about what does and doesn't exist in it. In that case, the "regular" cosmology of the verse where a Tier 0 exists and the verse where a Tier 0 doesn't exist are identical, and so the former can, of course, be compared to the latter. That's just a very basic principle of battleboarding as a whole and also goes for things happening in much lower tiers, too.

Don't see how LOTR would get tier 0 but Narnia does have the supreme being residing at the top of a reality heirarchy
Maybe a difference in presentation? Eru and the Ainur sit outside of everything while the Emperor sits at the top of his dimensional hierarchy. But then again, idk much about Narnia.

We'll probably see an explanation once revisions for R>F changes roll out. I'm personally still curious whether the Ainur get 1-A or not. I assume they do.

You mean Sandman rebooted the lore of Lucifer which you said isn't in the continuity with Carey’s Lucifer.
I'm not really in a position where my opinion is took as fact on the wiki (as in, the Sandman Universe is currently a part of the Carey/Gaiman verse and I can't really do anything about it).

Also, the Presence is already in Perfect Enlightenment. However, the Monks themselves “believe” that by destroying all forms of matter and undoing Creation that floats in the Void(his mind) that God finally has it. This was strictly what the Monks believed to be the case, not that God needed it to happen.
Where is that stated, though.

Where is that stated, though.
That's what they “seek” to do. It's within the scan. How they view God does not mean it is. Monks believe in the Enlightenment and creation is already contained within his mind, so why would he want to destroy Creation? Would it be what the Monks want to do because they see the Universe as a distraction, not God.

I always thought Fullmetal Alchemist was supposed to be an Hindu-like "All is One, One is All" cosmology. The wiki currently seems like it interprets Truth as like, a walking universe like Eternity or something, which doesn't seem very plausible from my (admittedly cursory) knowledge of the series.
I was looking at the scans for it and the quotes from Truth seem to support it just like, literally being the personification of the universe itself. There might be other scans I haven't seen that make a stronger case for it, but I would be blown away if we gave it tier 0 just because a godly being said basically "I'm everything."

Well, tell me your thoughts:

I am what you would call "the world." I am "space." I am "God." I am the "truth." I am the "all." I am the "one." and I am "you."
And the Gate has a diagram of the Kabbalah tree of life on it.

I just feel like we should tread carefully about taking the stance that limited references to certain theological concepts should slingshot something to Tier 0. We've seen authors use various religious influences as accoutrements for mystique and scene-setting many times without adhering particularly closely to any of the actual details, so my hope is that we wouldn't say "Well, Truth says that it is the all and the one, just like a monad would be, so thats tier 0" just as I would hope we wouldn't say "Oh its the tree of life, so scale it to Kabbalah" or "oh they used the word omnipotent, tier 0" etc.

Well, tell me your thoughts:

And the Gate has a diagram of the Kabbalah tree of life on it.

I just feel like we should tread carefully about taking the stance that limited references to certain theological concepts should slingshot something to Tier 0. We've seen authors use various religious influences as accoutrements for mystique and scene-setting many times without adhering particularly closely to any of the actual details, so my hope is that we wouldn't say "Well, Truth says that it is the all and the one, just like a monad would be, so thats tier 0" just as I would hope we wouldn't say "Oh its the tree of life, so scale it to Kabbalah" or "oh they used the word omnipotent, tier 0" etc.
Yeah I am kinda disappointed ngl.

Ah well.

Back