• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

If this passes, I’ll also need to re-examine Xenoblade. I know with the current stuff, its R>F would get axed, but I would like to take a more comprehensive look at it myself since I’ve played through the whole series and all (particularly 3, where Z is from)

It's very strange to see Ultima currently on the back foot with the vote tally, even if I'm confident it'll turn around soon enough.

Anyways, if this does pass, what verses are gonna be upgraded first? Pokemon, Touhou, and Lord of the Rings have been talked about, but I'm curious as to what else is in the works.
It's currently a 4-4 tie (not counting Ultima).
I think the votes will start to swing once Antvasima gives his vote.

It's currently a 4-4 tie (not counting Ultima).
I think the votes will start to swing once Antvasima gives his vote.
No, it's 2 agree 3 disagree.

Ultima should be counted (there's literally no reason he shouldn't be), but only admins/bureaus have voting rights for these sorts of things.

Still, I think that's kinda bullshit, so I'd move my vote to agree if the broader staff base agreed with it (EDIT: "Broader staff base" meaning discussion mods, content mods, and calc group members).

Last edited:
Didn't FC/OC forbid all Tier 1 stuff? What happened to that.
That was lifted. We just have an approval/evaluation process now to avoid tier shit junk being spammed all over the site, like it was before the "purge."

But, yeah, unsure if you'd need me to explain but the VSBW system fails even harder when the people writing these cosmology blogs for their series are the authors themselves.

That was lifted. We just have an approval/evaluation process now to avoid tier shit junk being spammed all over the site, like it was before the "purge."

But, yeah, unsure if you'd need me to explain but the VSBW system fails even harder when the people writing these cosmology blogs for their series are the authors themselves.
Why would moving to this new system, where you simply need new buzzwords (platonic concepts, R>F differences, divine simplicity) to get the big tiers, help in any way?

but only admins/bureaus have voting rights for these sorts of things.

Still, I think that's kinda bullshit, so I'd move my vote to agree if the broader staff base agreed with it.
Truly the commoner's hero.

I imagine.

If we look ONLY at all staff with the right to vote (admins, thread mods, bureaucrats), then we get 10 for and 4 against this, as shown here.

I'm not sure dragging back all these staff to vote would be the best idea since they might not be keen on looking through the many, many pages and paragraphs of argument and reasoning just to see if a minor change to the original argument was made.
Thread Mods have no voting rights here.

I'm not sure dragging back all these staff to vote would be the best idea since they might not be keen on looking through the many, many pages and paragraphs of argument and reasoning just to see if a minor change to the original argument was made.
I, personally, think that's bullshit, because Ultima prevented me from making any arguments in the thread for two months while those staff members voted.

If you can just decide which of your detractors are allowed to argue while 80% of staff vote, you can end up with something very lopsided, if you pick the person with the worse arguments to go first.

And they don't need to look through pages and paragraphs of argument; just the summaries that people made. I do think it's really lame that other people's summaries were so long, but it is what it is.

Having people formally reaffirm their positions is important, also. You may think that the possibility of them changing minds is slim, but nevertheless a ceremonial is obviously needed because this probability is never 0. Winging it is obviously not the way to go.

I, personally, think that's bullshit, because Ultima prevented me from making any arguments in the thread for two months while those staff members voted.

If you can just decide which of your detractors are allowed to argue while 80% of staff vote, you can end up with something very lopsided, if you pick the person with the worse arguments to go first.
Why did Ultima prevent you from arguing for two months?
And they don't need to look through pages and paragraphs of argument; just the summaries that people made. I do think it's really lame that other people's summaries were so long, but it is what it is.
That's fair enough.

Having people formally reaffirm their positions is important, also. You may think that the possibility of them changing minds is slim, but nevertheless a ceremonial is obviously needed because this probability is never 0. Winging it is obviously not the way to go.
I understand.

Plus I have literally zero power here, so I couldn't stop you if I wanted to.
Because he wanted to focus on talking things out with DT alone.
I see.

In that case I think you are right to want the voters to give reaffirmation, which Ultima seems to support, though I do think both you and Ultima should link the admins to the direct posts with the final summaries.

DT did so in the post pinging all staff.

With the new tiering system will the Elder Scrolls lose tier 0? Also what tier will the Dark Tower verse be after this?
Can I get a statement or an answer on this, unless there's nobody knowledgeable on either of these verses in this discussion.

TES keeps its 0
Dark Tower is in a horrible state rn and would need a complete overhaul before people even begin to think about tiers
Noted, I'm reading the series right now so I'll keep my eyes out for any threads for an overhaul on the verse.

Agreed.

Also, could you clarify how stats like Lifting Strength, Speed as well as Acausality and cause and effect will be affected for 1-A or above characters with respect to baseline reality or lower realities. Also what about the cases where the higher reality has normal humans, then how will the stats be indexed with respect to baseline reality and the higher reality from where the humans originate.

Audibly laughed at this
Here's a simple proof of all the contradictions of this discussion:

main-qimg-defccb8af8e263df37d4c2b4e6c7e006-lq

Not at it being right/wrong, just about you saying "This is a simple proof of the contradictions" and posting an image of 20 equations.
Still remember when I created this:

lim {x ==》2} (tan ((x/π+xπℤ)^-(sin^x(θ) + cos^x(θ))))(csc ((1/π+xπℤ)^-(e^xiπ)))(sec ((x/3π+xπℤ)^(e^iπ)))(cot ((1/xπ+xπℤ)^-((e^iθ + e^-iθ/x)^x + (e^iθ - e^-iθ/xi)^x)))

Fiction has no consistency, applying everything could be useful for feedback People might find out some flaws in these system while attempting to upgrade on content revision. I have a feeling they might need something like a beta-test.

Fiction has no consistency, applying everything could be useful for feedback People might find out some flaws in these system while attempting to upgrade on content revision. I have a feeling they might need something like a beta-test.
Set theory isn't fiction honestly.

Back