• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Superman lifts book of infinte pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know the book of infinite pages does have any end. But I chatted with someone that showed this http://m.imgur.com/eXZFfyA Mandrakk states that the book contains the whole of existence does that mean superman with the help of shazama lifted all of existence also superman implied that he would come back later and lift it without the help of shazama. also the guy stated they lifted for a while stating that the imagine of the monitor they got lasted a while. if not can you please give a explanation plz I am so confused.

I have read Final Crisis, and he legit picks up an infinite book. But it is horribly inconsistent, as that would imply he is on a similar level to CA Superman, which is ridiculous

FanofRPGs said:
I have read Final Crisis, and he legit picks up an infinite book. But it is horribly inconsistent, as that would imply he is on a similar level to CA Superman, which is ridiculous
The book doesn't acually have infinite pages cough cough UItraman and Lex get to the end in some other occurances if I remember correctly cough

The book evidently works under a very different sense of physics, and logic, so it is uncertain if it truly had infinite weight, and even if it did, it would be a massive outlier, considering that Superman regularly displays limitations in other stories.

The book in question contained every book in the history of the 52 universes of the DC 52 multiverses, which is still a finite amount. The exact lines spoken by Superman and Shazam were

"A book with an infinite number of pages all occupying the same space" followed by "this contains every book possible",

the first line is likely a hyperbole since every book ever created would seem like an infinite amount. Plus neither Superman nor Shazam truly lifted the book, they apporached it as it was floating and it rejected them.

Plus something with infinite weight would destroy the universe since it would have an infinitely strong gravity field, which would cause the universe to collapse in a Big Crunch.

And of course there's the fact that this story is inconsistent with 99% of Superman stories ever written, where his power tends to hover around planetary to stellar range

I feel like the feat could be major if more clarification was given by the writers. It has large implications, but gets left in the dust because people just disregard it because they don't find it infinite.

Also, consistency with Superman? Keep dreaming. He's one of the most difficult vs characters to get a grasp on for a reason.

Well, according to Yojimbo, the book was simply floating there, not lifted, and nothing was mentioned about an infinite weight, with a very limited size, so it evidently works under very different physics and logic. As such, we cannot use the occurrence.

I'm not saying that it should be counted, I said that it'd be interesting if there was more clarification from the writers on that, and probably a number of other Superman feats.

Probably an outlier, although I am uncertain what was actually said about the Spectre in thst instance?

I believe something along the lines of "Spectre encompasses eternity. And eternity weighs a lot" Superman and Wonder Woman then got tired of lifting him and Green Lantern took it from there.

Going from the nonsensical statement of his weight, and the fact that they were successfully able to rest him on a planet, I'd honestly take this feat with a grain of salt.

And characters can have multiple outliers. Two (very faulty and self contradictory) instances of infinite power against hundreds of showings where he has had limits, probably makes it safe to count these as such.

Plus eternity is a measure of time, not mass and is therefore weightless. There is not indication of how much eternity "weighs" only that it is heavy

Here are links to both feats so you can see for yourself

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-4188963

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-4188964

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-4188965

In the first we see the line about a book of infinite pages, you can see on the LHS of the top right panel the book glowing white light and floating. Superman asks Shazam for his help in lifting the book (still on the first link)

Then the book starts to overwhelm them and finally they drop it

As for the Spectre the exact words used there were

"They're two of the mightiest beings in the Universe and yet the weight of my unconscious form was nearly too much for them. The Spectre's body you see is composed of consciousness. A cosmic consciousness that contains eternity itself. And eternity is heavy."

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-4189028

And as I said eternity is a measure of time not mass

Yojimbo1989 said:
Plus eternity is a measure of time, not mass and is therefore weightless. There is not indication of how much eternity "weighs" only that it is heavy
It's a bit different in this scenario. There is a weight to it here otherwise there wouldn't be details of them trying to lift it and being described as weight (Plus fiction makes up materials an alters pre-existing ones a number of times). We can't say that he's automatically weightless because of what eternity is generally perceived as. Being uncalculable I can agree with.

Well, both instances are outliers, at best, so it is probably best if I close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back