• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sun Wukong's strength - Info from the book and cultural studies

That doesn't make any sense. You can't completely remove a character from it's original cultural/historical context. Anything based on such a stripped down version would be incorrect.

Lots of derivative stories (games, comics, books, TV series, movies, etcetera) feature characters from major religions, but unless they reference the feats and natures described within the original myths, we cannot use them for scaling.

Well I think this would be different as Sun Wukong is strictly and directly related to Buddhism itself, differently from a story which is only inspired by mythology like say, Riordanverse and the like, which don't scale to the actual mythology.

I think it should be fine to scale him from actual Buddhism.

Antvasima said:
Lots of derivative stories (games, comics, books, TV series, movies, etcetera) feature characters from major religions, but unless they reference the feats and natures described within the original myths, we cannot use them for scaling.
My point is that this discussion is about the character from the novel. Even his article is named "Sun Wukong (myth)". His mythos comes primarily from said novel. Disregarding portions of the novel and any underlying religious meaning makes no sense.

Well, maybe you have a point. It depends on what Matthew thinks.

But I don't think we should. So just Low 2-C is fine, or maybe 2-C since there are multiple infinite planes of existence space-time, but not a googleplex.

I would appreciate if somebody could ask Matthew to comment here again.

We are currently talking about if he should scale from Buddhism.

@Matthew

Okay.

@All

Is there anything else we need to discuss here?

Matthew Schroeder said:
I don't think we should us those multiverse quotes from Buddhism. It's highly interpretative and a Buddha could be anyway from 2-B to 1-A from interpretations.
Is not up to interpretation. In all mahayana traditions the buddha is at least 1-A, trascending the concepts of space, time and duality, and in most of them he trascends the concepts of meaning and description.

Do we need to change his high 3A justification from lifting the Milky Way (which is a mistranslation) to shaking the universe?

Also, how do we treat the mountains he lifted in his regular form where he had to be crushed under the heaviest thing imaginable to finally keep him from moving? Considering one of them is the central axis of the universe would that be considered lifting a notable portion of the universe?

@Matthew

I would appreciate your help to reach a conclusion here.

I think that 3-A for Wukong for soloing Heaven, shaking the universe and being unkillable even by the Jade Emperor makes sense.

Okay. Thank you. Feel free to adjust the page accordingly if you wish then.

Ghostexorcist said:
The original Chinese version says "Ú®ÜÕñ®Õ£░" (jing tiandi), which means to "scare or alarm heaven and earth." I think this is just saying the battle scared everyone, not that it literally shook the universe.

This thread was originally about his lifting strength. If you feel the information I provided is correct, please change his level from T Class to whatever is appropriate for lifting a chunk of the Universe.

Also, per what I wrote earlier, I think his battle with heaven scared everyone in the universe, not that he caused it to shake.

Sun Wukonh has defeated gods that created a storm that covered the Three Worlds/ The Universe. It blocked out the sun, the moon and the stars. High 3-A is still legit.

So is anybody who knows what he or she is doing be willing to adjust his lifting strength?

Sun didn't lift a chunk of the universe, the Mount is the axis of the universe because in Buddhist Cosmology the sun and all the planets circle the mountain. I did some calculation and the total weight of the two mountains are 3.4471765e+30kg, that's Stellar Lifting Strength. But that just my calc.

Is it just a coincidence that the 2 mountains that he couldn't lift are both have infinite mass. The first one is the Five Elements Mountain, which is literally Buddha's palm. The second is the Mount Tai, Mount Tai is made of Pan Gu's head. Btw, the Five Elements Mountains can only seal Sun 'cause a talisman, he did break the mountain afterall.

Back