• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for improvements (New forum)

The new advertisement placements have been really annoying, at least in mobile. They just appear everywhere randomly including in replies, between staff labels, even next to names causing them to be listed vertically

L
I
K
E

T
H
I
S

And while that's bad, the worst part about it is that I can't get rid of them. Usually before, closing an ad causes the space where the ad was to disappear and close up. Now it just stays a bit and then another ad reappears. And now some ads don't even have a close button

Is there anything we can do? At least with the latter?

I will talk with our system manager and forum owner about the issue. I also think that this many and intrusive advertisements are far too much.

Oh. I will mention it to our forum system manager. Thank you for the information.

Here is what he replied:

"I just tested using Microsoft Edge, works fine.

It could be his machine-related issue.

Please, ask him to check for updates if there are any.

MS Edge and Chrome use the same engine.

Chromium.

They will work same."

I would like to know if there's a way to topic ban someone by categories. AFAIK we just thread-ban a user from a single thread, right? If topic-banning from categories is possible then we can make it wider and reinforce the need of using categories on threads.

Example: Someone is banned from Marvel Comics threads, and then every thread with Marvel Comics category is inaccessible to them.

It also makes it impossible to break their topic ban.

No, we can't. Traditionally speaking, we drop an official warning in their profile wall, professional and precise. If they are found to be commenting in that thread, they will be reported and met serious consequences. (At least this is how I would do, and I often saw how others do the same, still functioning)

And also, I am sure when you say “categories”, you are referring to tags. | Noted

Also, no we don't always thread-ban user from a single thread unless it's a staff thread, statistically speaking. We always topic-ban them for a specifc duration.

I could develop a plugin but given its low priority and its non-necessity, I don't think it's worth it.

One could do an argument that it can be abused (a member adds hashtag solely to prevent that user to comment)

Last edited:
allow users to move their sandbox threads to other categories. yes,you could just copy and paste ,but that doesn't account for images iirc
I received a reply from our system manager:

"There is a catch here. When a user create a thread on Sandbox, a few things happen:
  • Only the user can see this thread
  • This thread never counted as a real thread
  • It does not go thru moderators as this is just a draft.
  • It does not index the thread for search engine.
Once a thread posted, means its valid. In our case, for sandbox, every thread is valid since no moderating. Now lets say we give them the option to move the thread. That means his can move the thread to other forum and it will be auto valid. We will never know what exactly he posted.

On the other hand, if he does not have this permission, he has to create a new thread to the forum where he wants to post it. Then it does all the usual moderating process automatically.

The only solution is to enable moderating for Sandbox thread and then even if we give them move permission, it wont impact anything. But that would be a big hassle as user has to go thru moderating approval process every time they do something or create a draft. Also, moderators has to deal with unfinished work."

So it seems like you will all have to continue to use the copy and paste solution as usual instead.

Mhm, as we always do. I technically always prepare my thoughts there, and once it is finalized, I copy-paste it and don't forget the tags.

The solution is also unpractical, also it may even be problematic since it can be abused.

Here is what he replied:

"I just tested using Microsoft Edge, works fine.

It could be his machine-related issue.

Please, ask him to check for updates if there are any.

MS Edge and Chrome use the same engine.

Chromium.

They will work same."
Update on this: The button works fine now. It didn't work before for some reasons.

So, how is it going with this?
The advertisements have already been reduced for logged-in members to our allowed minimum by our new advertisement partner of around 5 of them per page as far as I have been told.

I think that logged out visitors have to endure up to 9 of them per page though.

Thank you. It is good that it works again then. 🙂

Screenshot_20230814-205645_Chrome.jpg

This ad placement takes up half the screen and follows whenever I scroll down. It can't be removed and can reappear after reloading over and over and over again. This is a major detriment to mobile users

Can something be done about this?

No longer staff but I want it to be known that that's ******* stupid.
I don't disagree, but I have told people to stop over using the test; and yes as I can't even say F*ckwit's name thought I can at least say Fred Fuchs since it's spelled differently. But Agnaa has told us to avoid testing it until it gets resolved. But I do agree it shouldn't even be on the censor word list.

May I ask who's idea it was to invoke a nation that is an empire AKA Imperial things? Just change "Bureaucrat" to "Emperor" or "Empress" or some neutral variation ya'll come up with at that point lmfao
image.png

Also to put it bluntly on the F-Bomb case, I think any excuse used for censoring falls flat when you look at even some Marvel and DC profiles, we have a lot of non-Ad friendly profiles on the wiki and that really shouldn't change.

The veto has always been a thing. I don't know if it was always written down, but it has always been a thing, meant for exclusive use in things that are relevant to wiki policy. It is not something meant to be used in CRTs or versus debates, and has only been exercised on few occasions to my memory. I don't see the issue with its existence, unless the situations in which it's being used have been expanded.

The veto has always been a thing. I don't know if it was always written down, but it has always been a thing, meant for exclusive use in things that are relevant to wiki policy. It is not something meant to be used in CRTs or versus debates, and has only been exercised on few occasions to my memory. I don't see the issue with its existence, unless the situations in which it's being used have been expanded.
I just added this line for the sake of clarity and yes, it's only in wide revision staff discussions, it can't be exercised in vs thread or CRT as the title implied.

Last edited:
I have removed the f-word from our content filter. I do not remember adding it, so it was likely added by our forum system manager or our advertisement partners.

Bureaucrats only have veto rights for site policy revisions, yes. It is a necessary safeguard in order to not slip through any potentially dangerous far-reaching massive changes. It doesn't apply for anything else though, and as Promestein said, we have had that policy for many years, but only put it down in writing recently.

Here is what our forum system manager just told me:

1000042505.png

"Because of these words along with other few words, ads are blocked on like 18k+ pages.

Google detecting them as violation and ends up blocking those pages.

And it is hampering our ranking.

I have added a few just for test.

You can check the censor word list.

I think I have added 3 to 4.

Those are very common.

It can save at least 5k+ pages.

Remember, Google will never count them as real pages and they will consider them page violation.

We are risking our community going down.

Google hates forum and if this going non stop, our rank will go down.

I am in test phase now and see how much it removes.

24 hours should be enough.

So I guess I will see the impact tomorrow morning.

A mixed community is very dangerous and we gotta set some strict ground rules.

You can do whatever you want via personal message, but please, not in a public forum."

As such, I unfortunately have to add a few extra words to our automatic content filter. My apologies. 🙏

Should I mention this in our RVR thread as well?

Should I mention this in our RVR thread as well?
It depends on how we want to enforce this, and to what extent Google will notice attempts to subvert the rule. Like Agnaa had pointed out in the staff thread, will we reprimand users for spacing out the letters to escape the filter? More importantly, would Google flag it?

Back