• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for improvements (New forum)

Could it be possible to add a feature on the forum that triggers PC desktop notifications whenever it's the case? It would make conversations more effective without having to sit around here all day, and I've seen other XenForo-based forums with this kind of feature before.

It was the case before. A welcome message was sent automatically on the wiki. It was yeeted after Fandom's update for some reason. I am sure Ant has asked them to restore that function. Let's see.
I did ask them about it repeatedly, but the suggestion was very unfortunately rejected, so I am currently stuck sending several of them myself daily whenever I notice new members editing in the wiki.

Could it be possible to add a feature on the forum that triggers PC desktop notifications whenever it's the case? It would make conversations more effective without having to sit around here all day, and I've seen other XenForo-based forums with this kind of feature before.
What do you mean?

What do you mean?
Sin_titulo.png

This kind of notifications, like, operative systems like Windows 10 support desktop notifications, which I would find useful here to get a quick pop-up whenever I get any sort of notification on the forum.

I don't want our members to get smattered with popup messages even when they are doing something else than focusing on this forum. Sorry.

Push notifications are too intrusive, especially given that we already unfortunately have to annoy our members with advertisements to finance the running of this forum, and most of said members wouldn't know how to disable the notifications. My apologies, but your suggestion is rejected.

Such feature would be disabled by default, wouldn't it?
For members that would like this feature it would help to keep consistent activity on the site.

I don't think that it is a good idea, or that it would be easy to apply, and we would also have to pay our system manager to install it. Sorry.

Why should we have automatic messages here, and what should they say?
Well, it would direct the new members to the welcome message instead of having you do it yourself. Though already existing members shouldn't get the message.

As for what it would say, maybe something along the lines of "Welcome to the community. (This is the title so it would be bigger than the following) Please visit/read the following page to become a productive member of the wiki and to better familiarize yourself with the community."

Edit: We could also just use the message you send to new members since they're pretty well written as well.

Last edited:
I only know how to give popup messages to people who are logged in, people who are not logged in, or both at the same time, and do not think that there is a setting for including new members only.

However, I could word it in something similar to the following manner:

All new members, please read the following page for instructions regarding how to become a productive member of this community:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Welcome_Message

All members could then easily dismiss it.

I only know how to give popup messages to people who are logged in, people who are not logged in, or both at the same time, and do not think that there is a setting for including new members only.

However, I could word it in something similar to the following manner:

All new members, please read the following page for instructions regarding how to become a productive member of this community:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Welcome_Message

All members could then easily dismiss it.
True, but I have a feeling that they might complain about suddenly getting a notification when they're already knowledgeable of the community.

Edit: Maybe you could also just let a bot send the messages?

Last edited:
There is no Bot function for this either in the wiki or here, but again, the message would be easy to dismiss and never see again.

There is no Bot function for this either in the wiki or here, but again, the message would be easy to dismiss and never see again.
I see, well, that's unfortunate. Well, I'm not against that idea either as long as it doesn't bother other members since I'd like to avoid having them complain to staff members about it.

At any rate, I agree with your idea.

I agree the automatic messaging is a good idea; like the very informative message from Promestein that used to come up shortly after any user's very first wiki contribution.

Yes, but Fandom does not allow those wiki messages anymore, despite that I have repeatedly asked them about it.

We thought that a popup message in this forum could possibly be similarly helpful though.

Yes, but Fandom does not allow those wiki messages anymore, despite that I have repeatedly asked them about it.

We thought that a popup message in this forum could possibly be similarly helpful though.
yeah tell fandom to **** themselves, this forum should be a place where you're unbound by fandom rules
popup message in the forum sounds good. What about an introduction forum?

Fandom has been very charitable to us in allowing us to have this forum in the first place, although we have to try to live up to their standards here as well. We likely have a bit more leeway though, but not overly so.

An introduction forum is not necessary, as we already have lots of wiki instruction pages.

Fandom has been very charitable to us in allowing us to have this forum in the first place, although we have to try to live up to their standards here as well. We likely have a bit more leeway though, but not overly so.
How and why?

I mean that is this forum gets too out of control, they might cut us off and not want to be associated with us anymore. However, currently it should be fine.

We still have the automated welcome, right? Why do we need the message banner? Not necessarily against it, but

No, we don't have any automated welcome messages. I am giving them personally whenever I notice a new editor in the wiki nowadays.

In what way, how would you suggest to improve them. This is a suggestions thread, mind.

Probably the biggest thing I've seen is people making threads in the wrong subforum.
Like people making threads intended for VSB on the FC/OC subforums.
These couple of threads being a fine example.
Maybe adding descriptors like "Questions and Answers (VSB)" "Questions and Answers (FC/OC)" or "Questions and Answers (JBW)" would help with that.

What about when on a thread, you can see peoples pfp when they are on that thread? 🤔... Which makes it easier to know who to reply or respond to?

That's quite a weak idea from monkey 😤 I'm supposed to be above genius 👿

Last edited:
Hmm. Are the administrators and thread moderators for JBW and FCOC able to move threads to the correct VSBW forums or do they not have the user rights to do so? Perhaps the bureaucrats could have a talk about if their rights should be extended a bit (if it is practically viable) otherwise? It seems inappropriate/awkward to name each of the sub-forums "General Discussion (FCOC)" and "General Discussion (JBW)" for example, especially for the longer titles.

Well, if the issue is that members keep posting threads to the wrong sub-forums and the moderators there cannot move them to where they are supposed to be, we may have to discuss if we should extend their rights a bit, if it is possible and will not cause any potential negative consequences.

Hmm. Are the administrators and thread moderators for JBW and FCOC able to move threads to the correct VSBW forums or do they not have the user rights to do so?
They are. It's just the frequency that I've been seeing these threads pop up is rather a bit too much imo. The ones I linked are all from FC/OC, I can only assume the same has happened to JBW (I don't actively look at JBW.).

Okay, but then the problem is simply that they don't have as many thread moderators and administrators, and it isn't like Promestein, Ryukama, and Copetan should enlist ones that do not seem qualified to handle it.

How big is this problem anyway? Is it happening occasionally or very frequently?

My suggestion is that experienced members of a verse be allowed CRTs.

This prevents CRTs involving unknown verses from "dying", becomes one less problem for the team to deal with, doesn't create a huge queue of CRTs if most of the mods are busy, and makes the function itself more useful.

My suggestion is that experienced members of a verse be allowed CRTs.

This prevents CRTs involving unknown verses from "dying", becomes one less problem for the team to deal with, doesn't create a huge queue of CRTs if most of the mods are busy, and makes the function itself more useful.
That reminds me of my own revision which is currently not getting any replies.

Back