• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Steven Universe Discussion Thread #2: Revenge of the Gems

Where is that feat? The one in which Jasper's ship crashes?

What calc is done for it?

Also the Cluster's calc is straight up wrong for reasons Dargoo pointed out so that needs to change.

@Weekly

The ship is definitely not going re-entry speed when it touches down. The fire it once had was extinguished and it didn't destroy anything until it blew up. Clearly the drag slowed it down significantly. Also, I don't think you can slap the KE of a falling aircraft onto the ones who survive it, or else we have Building level humans for surviving a plane crash.

Also, that calc is calc stacking. Read the bottom. "Last time I calced the ship to be travelling at 10906976.7m/s. All we need to do is feed that through the relativistic kinetic energy calculator"

So it uses a previously calced speed and not atmospheric re-entry speed. For comparison, re-entry is 8575 m/s. That speed is nearly 11 million.

Just a 100% nope.

Assault has a point, a free fall wouldn't yield that much, the speed is at most 11175 m/s (and yet, at that speed something have catched fire). Also, I do not consider the mass that much accurate, better compare the size of the hand to a real hand to find the size.

@Antoniofer

Mass is also an issue for the calc. While the hand scaling is meticulously done, the value of titanium and aluminium is slapped on even though the ship is very clearly a rocky material.

Seconding Assault's and Ant's statements, that speed is completely unrealistic considering the results of the crash. Not even talking about the calc stacking. Mass too, it seems that the Steven Universe APs are clearly not realistic as it stands.

@Assalt They werent tier 6 for surviving the crash, they were tier 6 for surviving the explosion that blew the ship to pieces

Welp, a great portion of the ship could be made of a rocky material, but a ship made totally of rock is impossible, it need technology to do what a ship do. I have no idea of the density that should be used, I can use steel as a high-end tho.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Assalt They werent tier 6 for surviving the crash, they were tier 6 for surviving the explosion that blew the ship to pieces
And why would that explosion be Tier 6, if the calc got the AP from an incorrect speed?

(EDIT) We shouldn't be using Mass Energy for any of the profiles, to be honest.

I will say, this is a feat. Jasper survives this huge explosion.

@Weekly

Ok, that makes sense, but the actually calc is still pretty bunk.

@Ant

Gem tech is weird. It can use tech while still being mostly rocky.

Dargoo Faust said:
And why would that explosion be Tier 6, if the calc got the AP from an incorrect speed?

(EDIT) We shouldn't be using Mass Energy for any of the profiles, to be honest.
Because the KE of the ship is tier 6 and the explosion blew it to pieces

Why? There are multiple statements in the show that flat out state they use mass energy

The KE of the ship is no longer Tier 6 due Assaut's reasons, I can calculate it if you wish.

Also, I doubt about the mass conversing energy, shapeshifting has nothing to do with energy, young Steven was capable to do it and Peri obviously is no Tier 6 by her own.

@Ant Go for it but we have the Laser Light Cannon feat that would make the Ship immensely higher than mid High 6-C durability-wise.

Peridot states that Shapeshifting requires an immense amount of energy to perform, i can get her saying so if you want. Seeing as she's a Gem who oversees Gem production and creation she's the most trustworthy source for this kind of information.

If you use mass-energy you have a bunch of country-obliterating god-beasts walking around like nothing. If that isn't outlier-ish enough, they really don't have any concrete statements I'm aware of. Even if they do, the physics of the gems seems to vary to the point of unreliability. The way the function in regard to their physics changes at the whim of the author and isn't in any way consistent.

@Weekly, the point is that, contrary to what you said, there's no more feats that support country level gems beside the Red Eye's feat (and the Island Monster, but that is out of camera).

@Ant The statements of Mass Energy conversion being used, statements that come from a Gem whose purpose is to oversee the creation of Gems and know how Gems work

@Weekly

1. The 1st describes how gems themselves are made and has nothing to do with their forms.

2. As shown by Amethyst turning into Jasper, transforming takes energy. This is like SSJ3, though, since even holding a shape takes energy. If mass-energy is at play here, once she makes the form, it's hers for as long as she wants it. It would take zero energy to sustain it. This is clearly what Peridot is referring to.

3. This is the closest we get to real mass-energy, but it still doesn't work. The gems' bodies are always portrayed as "light/hologram with mass" light can't have mass. This clearly violates physics and we can't apply a physics principle to it.

The Cluster has a multi exaton earthquake calc on the OBD, which was accepted by Endless Mike to boot

@Kep

Well no one scales to the Cluster and that would make sense for it, since it is a potential planet buster.

The Cluster is different tho: It shaked the world and fully formed can destroy the planet, it do not use mass-energy convertion and it do not scale to no one.

I thought this was about downgrading The Cluster to 6-B, my bad.

What is being discussed here?

@Kep

The Gem Warship's calculation being wrong for several reasons and the validity or lack thereof of mass-energy conversion feats for normal gems.

Basically getting Tier 6 normal gems out.

@Assalt

> Also, that calc is calc stacking. Read the bottom

Was this speed calculated from the same scene or was it from a different instance? If the former, it doesn't qualify as calc stacking. If the latter, it does.

@Kep

In the calc there is no speed being measured.

If it was measured before and wasn't linked, it should be linked, since that is pretty necessary.

But in the end there is absolutely no way that the warship hit the ground at literally 3% SoL.

If interested, I calculated to Warship to weight 300.4*10^9 kg (using the density of the Earth), making its yield at most 18.757*10^18 J (High 7-A). Although, I didn't account for hollowness, so maybe result is half of that.

@Ant

It still wasn't going re-entry speed, though. The fire on it was put out and it didn't even do anything when it hit the ground. It didn't crush the hill behind it or anything. It just touched down and then exploded.

If it decelerated to below reentry speeds after entering the atmosphere, the earlier speed still applies to the brakes the ship used to deacelerate, otherwise they would've all died. That doesn't amount to much in terms of energy, just saying because it's interesting.

In any case, wouldn't inertia lead to the main characters being pushed away from their seats and against the wall if the ship suddenly deacelerated from subluminal speeds to way below Mach 20?

@Kep

They weren't in seats, they were protected by Steven. And you can slow a down a hefty chunk even from re-entry speeds. All astronauts don't straight up die on re-entry.

Our spaceshuttles experience a denser atmosphere combined with wings that are built to generate lift, which allows for the descent rate to slow quickly enough for them not to splash violently against the ground at still-supersonic speeds.

However, slowing down from Mach 30,000 to <Mach 20 within such a small timeframe would lead to whomever is standing without protection to hit a wall, permanent brain damage and all.

If they were all protected from this, ignore this issue.

Back