• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Probably another weird case of Sakurai just having things classed as one thing but they end up not operating quite the same?

True point, we don't see or read anything that has them do the things Inganock's Critters do, like Voice of Panic, death phenomena, all that sort.

Kinda reminds me of Jabberwocky from Gahkthun's novel anthology where it's called a Meta=Critter by Tesla but the way it was brought about, while still of Cracking, is different as is its abilities and potential growth if Tesla and Neon hadn't stopped it. Howler in Darkness is the same weird case. I don't think this is even in the Refrain version of Sona Nyl but it might. Case it's not, basically Howler in Darkness has an entry in the Engine Dictionary that just calls it as a "Critter made out of Jet Black" and being something about called "a familiar/kin of the Black King" but like A's initial Critters in the underground NY, it doesn't really quite have the abilities you'd associate with a Critter from Inganock.

On a side note, yeah A's Critters are probably like the Kikai of Sona Nyl. They got the name of Critter, yet they have a physical form of sorts alongside being made of steel which is what the Kikai are known for. A funny parallel too if you think of Inganock's Critters as like the Messengers of Inganock.

Hmm...maybe there was a lot more to the 2nd Crack Experiment that Edison ****** up than just making Grimm=Grimm...

I can kind of see the classifications, what I mean is this, A's Critters were gifts Elysia gave Alan such as a scarecrow mask, which were brought to life via Cracking, this is similar to Critters, which were toys given life.

With Meta=Critter, they were brought to life by the Equation/Cracking, Jabberwocky is also formed by the Equation.

Howler though I don't see how that fits. It only works if you think of Critters as beings created as a result of getting power from someone/something else. But that's really pushing the definition.

Anyway, I don't think A's Critters should get Critter physiology, and they shouldn't be listed as examples on the Cracking Being page.

Last edited:
I can kind of see the classifications, what I mean is this, A's Critters were gifts Elysia gave Alan such as a scarecrow mask, which were brought to life via Cracking, this is similar to Critters, which were toys given life.

With Meta=Critter, they were brought to life by the Equation/Cracking, Jabberwocky is also formed by the Equation.

Howler though I don't see how that fits. It only works if you think of Critters as being beings created as a result of getting power from someone/something else. But that's really pushing the definition.

Anyway, I don't think A's Critters should get Critter physiology, and they shouldn't be listed as examples on the Cracking Being page.
Right. They're just a weird one, but they still were formed by Cracking regardless.

IK about the Howler thing. I'm just saying that it's literally called "Critter Howler in Darkness", but it's a sort of outlier as the odd thing is it being made/compose of Jet Black rather than Cracking, so it's more of a conceptually made entity than one out of Cracking.

Why A and even M refer to it as a Critter, IDK. It might be due to how A's shadow summons always resulted in forming them up as a "Critter". Maybe it's even done out of convenience or something, IDK.

クリッター・ハウラーインダークネス

黒色のクリッター。

漆黒で構成されている。

三つの脚と異様にねじれた巨脚を有する影の巨人。

頭部はねじれており、無貌。

夢幻の彼方でこれを見た者は「黒の王の眷属」と呼称した。

Critter Howler in Darkness

A Black Critter.

It is composed of Jet Black.

It is a shadow giant with three legs and a strangely distorted leg.

Its head is distorted and faceless.

Those in the dream world who saw it refer to it as the "Black King's familiar/kin".

Basically this.

It's an odd one, but that's what I have in the actual book itself on its description per the glossary.

Not sure how far to take being composed of Jet Black, definitely a conceptual abstract, due to the statement of M's Jet Black being conceptual, to what degree? Type 1 i guess.

Would that also make him nonexistent? Well A is already nonexistent, a type 2 nonexistent like M though? That's iffy.

There was also the Tesla stealing M's dark matter statements, also not too sure how to take those, does it mean Tesla can interact with type 1 concepts?

Hey, I'm just posting what I have from the books and mats I can get on my hands.

What they even entail can be anything but it's your call with what you think they are. 🤷‍♂️

The Liarsoft magazine stories I have might better tell what's even going with A, let alone even Lily but I haven't worked on those as I said before so...yeah.

Tesla's still vague af and I think he's just an odd exception as well, given that, as essentially an Old One, he shouldn't be able to really be able to interact with M's Jet Black at all. That and even if he did, what little we got is they're made out of the "wreckage of god" or whatever. That could mean some left over Jet Black stuff M used on Tesla if we take the assumption Tesla also fought M (and whenever that happened, it's plausible if you assume that as he was also a Society member, that meant M probably got put up to fight Tesla or Tesla just picked up a fight with a bigger fish in a small pond)...but idk on that one, it's just weird since M said no Old One could have touched his Jet Black, not even when he let them into his Sharnoth. 🤷‍♂️

In any case, I'm about to finish up Karashrer today. The novel retranslation (read: clean up) has been killing me for the past month or so lol.

Going through A's profile, his ability to manipulate shadows, which grants all those ridiculous resistances is the domain of M, so M, and subsequently Edison, should also gain all those resistances.

Exactly. As tough and wacky as Tesla can somehow be, I just can't imagine him doing something that no one of his technical kind as an illusion should have been able to...

Ah yeah, that's right. A's thing is very much all about shadows, and his usage of control was something that allowed him to manipulate and make contact with M's Jet Black.

That's neat owo.

Just saw a look of your A draft.

I think you mean to put fourth messenger for A's resistance to life manip and corrosion. You put Third messenger again. Just for correctional sakes.

Another post in a row~

Alright. Proud to say that after 2-3 months of hell clean up, I finally got Karashrer back up in all of its glory again.

This time, it's a lot cleaner and better contextually wise.

And with it, that's another project or to-do list on my blogger space down.

As Karashrer is now out of the way, I can finally get down to doing more minor ish things.

Things like images for one, which isn't a lot as far as I can tell as the only one that comes to mind on that is Golden G'harne but that's now done and over with so anyone that ever wants to reread that, you can but now with images properly on there owo.

I guess I can also check the other stuff I did that I often never look at, like Ulthar Thoughts.

After that, I'll probably do the short stories I have on hand such as the Liarsoft magazines. Inganock one, still reserved on that one but I may just do it anyways later. Sona Nyl, there's stuff on there that I've been teasing but never did anything with it so this month and next will be a good chance to get those rolling out...hopefully. Everything depends on my mood and time for it, so at least some I'd like to see be out by then.

On to more other big news, I got my doujins finally! Really great stuff, got a lot of concept art and stuff on it that's so dope, and spicy even owo. Especially great is Sharnoth where I got the stories I did a while back but in JP now for me to see and check if I didn't screw it up then. One of the Gahkthun books is dope too as there's actually concept art of Rosenkreuz's form in Gahkthun that was supposed to be him with a body but we ended up getting a giant floating mask instead xD

I have to post that later on because it's hilarious to what we could have gotten in the base VN xD

@Mycroft_er This is to you in particular but unfortunately, the Sona Nyl doujin I tried to get didn't have the Paracelsus story lol

I'm in the process of getting the doujin that actually has it, but it'll be some time until it comes here to the US where I live. International shipping is a B word, that's for sure. Took me almost all of March just to get it here.

But I am committed to getting them over here to see if what I read up is true (also because I already had it paid to get bought for me through a 3rd party medium so I might as well just get it).

Last edited:
@Mycroft_er This is to you in particular but unfortunately, the Sona Nyl doujin I tried to get didn't have the Paracelsus story lol

I'm in the process of getting the doujin that actually has it, but it'll be some time until it comes here to the US where I live. International shipping is a B word, that's for sure. Took me almost all of March just to get it here.

But I am committed to getting them over here to see if what I read up is true (also because I already had it paid to get bought for me through a 3rd party medium so I might as well just get it).
Well, but we got new WAB content anyway, so it's not all bad.

Just wait until the next doujin arrives and hope for the story inside it.

Got around to those Messenger calcs, I don't think the 6th Messenger's feat is calculable, it just absorbed everything in Central Park, so not doing that. Will re-look at the calcs later and then post.

Of course I didn't bother to do the 7th, cause there already exists a calc for destroying NY.

The 5th Messenger feat being that high is pretty shocking, though I guess not really? We already know it has op concept hax, so make sense it's ap is op too.

Well, but we got new WAB content anyway, so it's not all bad.

Just wait until the next doujin arrives and hope for the story inside it.
Pretty much what I have to do at this point. I just wish I checked the doujins list more closely so I don't have wait another near full month to get it overseas, and I live in the West Coast here...

Got around to those Messenger calcs, I don't think the 6th Messenger's feat is calculable, it just absorbed everything in Central Park, so not doing that. Will re-look at the calcs later and then post.

Of course I didn't bother to do the 7th, cause there already exists a calc for destroying NY.

The 5th Messenger feat being that high is pretty shocking, though I guess not really? We already know it has op concept hax, so make sense it's ap is op too.
Holy F***, Island level 5th Messenger wtf xD

Even using the highest end for the 7th's NY destroying feat, the 5th's is still higher up lol.

Though if anything, the 7th would scale regardless because it's a composite of the previous six, no? Since it can use all of their powers simultaneously and whatever its own unique power on top of that.

Adding the sort of BS the Messengers are packing and fighting it is gonna be a real Bish to handle.

Based. Bet the DMB Series fandom will appreciate the good, lore bits for Mecha's fighting Eldritch beings and the like owo.

And kek, Azur Lane. I still remember going on Jin's twitter one day after it came out and saw the guy tweeting about the Azur Lane anime.

Didn't watch the whole thing but I heard it was alright.

Kinda funny too that a guy who makes mecha series of fighting eldritchs took part in the writing of a series about girls who are the manifestation of IRL WW2 era and before ships. Then again, if what I remember is right from some parts of DMB, that's not really the weirdest bit...although if you read into AL's own lore, it can also be weird too with the nature of such Kansen's (Ship girls) owo.

With the Messenger calcs out the way, think the vast majority of what I wanted to do is done, now just have to wait for them to be evaluated. Honestly thinking of just posting the side story CRT right now, kinda pointless to wait on 2 calcs, which aren't going to change much.

Maybe I will get started on the "layers" blog now.

Side note can I say how often I find myself referring to Messengers as Angels? This must be the work of Edison, no but seriously, you know a story is good when you find yourself being dragged into it's deception.

Whatever we have of the side stories, I guess it's sufficient if you want to post.

That's what I'll be working on for the next two months anyway the others. Most of them don't seem like it's much, maybe some more story stuff going on like most of Sharnoth's, but still something I can do to post more content aside from writing clean up.

Working on Karashrer profile update now.

Was thinking that Kyrie's cross arm, the one that shoots up a sword of cracking light could be existence erasure or possibly deconstruction since Gene described it as it causing everything it touched to just vanish, and in the case with Thanatos, the Mega Engine in the underground lab, and the castle all straight up vanished without any trace of dust left behind.

It might be attributed to the "Anti-Matter" aspect his cross arm's weapon, but IDK. Any thoughts?

The rest like Gene and the Cyber Zombies are easy enough to work with in comparison, just thought to get Kyrie out of the way first.

The 2 calcs for the side content were evaluated, sort of, so I can proceed with the CRT when I get some time.

Not worrying about the Typhon calc.

I have the first VN of Steampunk series, aka, Celenaria. Sucks that it has no translation. It seems like we can get a lot more info and content from it.

Can't say, haven't finished Karahrer yet, probably do that tomorrow.

Anti-matter does annihilate matter though.
I kinda still think that Anti-Matter might be the reason why things were being erased. But it's still decon/EE because of that since everything got OFF'd when Kyrie was done.

I have the first VN of Steampunk series, aka, Celenaria. Sucks that it has no translation. It seems like we can get a lot more info and content from it.
Gotta pray Mangagamer ever gets to do Celenaria then lol.

Side Story CRT

Also just remembered that I need to calc Lily's train, it's simply KE, but yea kinda need that before post profiles.

Was pretty close to finished Act 4 Karashrer, but will see if I do, have a pile of new anime to get caught up on.

Finished Karashrer.

Completely forgot some of the details, so the twist with Kyrie was good, the whole time you think Gene is the last life, just for it to be reversed.

But yea it's still tragic, there is no happy end there. Eventually Kyrie will become a Cyber Zombie, no Sanctuary exists.

I think deconstruction is alright for Kyrie's cross arm.

A tragic end of their journey, yet also left unsaid from what happens after Los Alamos.

NGL, I wish Sakurai had made Karashrer a chap or two longer just to have a bit more stuff on what goes on in their journey. Four chapters felt kinda short.

Even so, I take what I have and it'd also be even more tragic and horrific if Sakurai even made a sequel to it, which wouldn't be much to do because Kyrie's ever closer to being a Cyber Zombie while Gene is losing Kyrie's "warmth" for every time he keep eating a clock hand from the Pillar (Mega Engine Clock/Karashrer) that killed their world. Most of all is the hopeless promise of finding the Sanctuary (Last Place in kanji). A promised final land/place where Kyrie and Gene can live their final days in peace away from the Cyber Zombies...only for there to be none. Even if there was a supposed "Sanctuary", like what Los Alamos could have been, it'd be pointless as Kyrie would all be a Cyber Zombie at that point...

There's a reason why Sakurai described Karashrer as the "amalgamation of Bad Ends" compared to Celephis being the "apocalypse/end times".

And ah, yeah.

Was thinking of having a single Messenger profile, with like 7 keys, but that would have been too chaotic, instead will do 7 profiles.

With that Sona-Nyl, might eventually have almost as much profiles as Inganock, maybe.

On another note, been thinking, in a vs match, mid stage kikai might turn out to be the most broken, being hit with a follow up attack 1000x faster than you, is super broken.

That probably would work if it were in the context of the 7th Messenger, who is just a composite of the first 6 + its own Distortion power. The thing is we're told that 7 of them exist (6 main ones + a 7th that came about of the first ones merging together) so I'd just make it easier and do 7 profiles of them.

Eh, it could be less depending who else is there to be made. I only know Edison, A, Lily, and the Messengers are to be which is like 11? Could be 12 if you do Jaguarman but I don't know if he has much else to work with?

Inganock's got more though, I believe. We got the Critters, Kikai users, GG, that sort of thing. I'd say Sona Nyl would be closer to Gahkthun in numbers, and surely way more than Sharnoth and Karashrer combined.

Definitely.

Ok, done applying all those revisions.

Now is just the layers blog left, will see how that goes, been feeling like garbage the past few days.

Still waiting on the Lily calc so I can post her and A's profiles too.

Got around to the 3rd Messenger, and actually have a speed feat to scale Messengers by, it's stated to be able to reach anywhere in a moment, Long Island City is it's domain, so probably being used in that context, so would be Hypersonic+ feat.

Lumberjack is the slowest of A's Critters by feats, but from memory, it still moved so fast, 3rd Messenger couldn't do anything, and then lost due to it's previous injury, so the later feats of lightning speed and light speed, don't look so crazy now.

A's A-S rank speed rating makes sense if you look at the context of what the Society is aware of, supersonic beings like Engine Humans, and on the high scale, their greatest enemy, Tesla, who is lightspeed.

At least Hypersonic+ is not so bad. A lot better than supersonic owo.

That also reminds me that with more context or relooks into the series that the Society has a bunch of tech or items they made and got over the years:
Engine Humans, as seen with Moran and mentioned for others in side mats like Machina and their siblings.
Green Stones, used as extra "oumpf" to maim and kill illusions/metaphysical entities like Old Ones and Meta=Critters.
Chrome Bodies, which are basically mech's that any upper echelon member of Society can use (only examples shown are in Valusia by two members who appear there tho, and rest is ever so scarcely mentioned in side mats like Celaphis)
Copy Fausts, basically machine weapons that supposed to copy the nature and existence of M=C's
Crimson Eyes and Cracking, physics warping power stuff to do certain things
Those Engine weapons Rosenkreuz gave to Berta and Jo as an example
While they didn't make it, the knowledge and I guess materials made for Berta's Typhon were actually provided by the Society meaning they can easily make those "City-Annihilators".
Suggestion Camouflage, and these ones can range from the more personal one used by Moran to even wider-scale ones like the one mentioned in Steampunk's main chronology where they used it to mind warp the people who experienced "Sharnoth" shenanigans.

And to think that all of that and whatever else they may have, and Tesla STILL fights them off as their greatest enemy lol.

Had a thought, the Messengers destroy their various sections of NY in an instant, so we could look at getting attack speed for that?

Fifth Messenger cutting Broadway to pieces would be massively hypersonic based on that, for example.

A's shadows would not only have like 6-C durability, but massively hypersonic reaction I think based on that.

A's shadows are op, gives all kinds of resistances, and automatic defenses, even against conceptual attacks. Lily will be extremely hard to kill, first having to get pass her nonexistent and abstract nature, then shadow auto defense, then high godly regen and type 8 immortality based on even more nonexistent memories, like what...

That would be so broke for someone like Lily lol.

And probably yeah. Given where the Messengers were and all when Edison's experiment occurred, what they do pertains to the area they attacked.

Even so, MHS attack speed would be dope owo. And even then, A's protection on Lily means he can react to stuff that would his "Queen (Lady)".

Not bad.

Back