• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some thoughts on the Harry Potter profiles

Yeah, there are at least three instances of characters reacting to lightning, two of them being cloud-to-ground lightning. However, I don't know if this is the right direction to move in, as I think we should be much stricter with lightning feats for all verses, instead of just making everyone massively hypersonic. On the other hand, people might finally understand that Harry Potter characters don't get speedblitzed by just about anyone else, though this, in my opinion, is because the other characters are equally "slow", not because wizards are MHS+.
Aren't the only ones who react to these lightning are god tiers? I could be misremembering something though. Also I don't see how them being MHS for the verse is a problem specifically if multiple people react to it

I might recalc this if i have the time
That would be good! Could you possily take a look at some of the feats I've listed earlier, too, if you have time? Most of them probably aren't that great, but I think it's good to get them calced if we're going to make seperate book and movie profiles (which I hope we manage). If you don't have time, or the book format makes it difficult, it's totally fine, obviously!

Aren't the only ones who react to these lightning are god tiers? I could be misremembering something though. Also I don't see how them being MHS for the verse is a problem specifically if multiple people react to it
It's Newt, some random aurors and the guy who created the tornado we discussed, who reacts to lightning, so they aren't really god tiers. I just don't like characters being that fast if they haven't shown any form of super speed, since it creates all sorts of weird inconcistencies. However, it's better in terms of getting accurate outcomes from match-ups to upgrade wizards' combat speed, since they are equally fast as many characters listed as MHS on here.

These are my suggestions after more input, anyway:
  • Make seperate book and movie profiles
  • Downgrade Dumbledore, Voldemort and Grindelwald to High 8-C (unless any new-calced feat contradicts this)
  • Remove anything stating Grindelwald to be superior to Voldemort
  • Remove anything stating old Dumbledore to be weaker than before
  • Upgrade old Dumbledore to 9-B physically with subsonic (or MHS if the lightning feats are calced and approved) reactions
  • Remove "higher in her prime" from McGonagall's profile
  • Expand the Powers and abilities-section for most wizards with the appropriate abilities
  • Calc the feats presented in this thread
  • Add something like "The verse generally ranges from Wall level to Large Building level, though there have been instances of accidental or unconventional use of magic reaching [whatever tier Alderton's feat is] or even [whatever tier Innocenti's feat is]." to the Wizarding World verse page.

Add something like "The verse generally ranges from Wall level to Large Building level, though there have been instances of accidental or unconventional use of magic reaching [whatever tier Alderton's feat is] or even [whatever tier Innocenti's feat is]." to the Wizarding World verse page.
The issue is that Dumbledore is supposed to be the strongest wizard, and it makes little sense for him to be vastly weaker than magicians who are never remarked upon with such significant magnitude.
I don't think this would give him all that great of an attack potency, since all he did was make a small rock move fast and then burn up before it could hit anything.
Hogwarts Mystery shows the spell used for combat. Hogwarts Legacy and Crimes of Grindlewald also show that weather magic can be used for direct offense, which fits with Charles Rookwood creating a rain storm.

The issue is that Dumbledore is supposed to be the strongest wizard, and it makes little sense for him to be vastly weaker than magicians who are never remarked upon with such significant magnitude.
I don't think this is an issue; Dumbledore could most definitely do the same by accident or in those highly specific circumstances, but not reliably in a combat situation, as could nobody else, either.
Hogwarts Mystery shows the spell used for combat. Hogwarts Legacy and Crimes of Grindlewald also show that weather magic can be used for direct offense, which fits with Charles Rookwood creating a rain storm.
Weather magic can indeed be used for offense. However, the meteor in question would still be small, and would thus not give that great of an attack potency; according to the American Meteor Society, visible meteors (shooting stars) generally weigh less than 1-2 grams and travel at a speed of up to 72 km/sec. This would be around Wall level.

Last edited:
I simply pointed out that if wizards' attack potency was any higher than Large Building level, we should have seen it in the books.
How it is not seen? The absence of mass destruction in every single fight only proves area of effect, not that wizards have to be weaker.

How it is not seen? The absence of mass destruction in every single fight only proves area of effect, not that wizards have to be weaker.
I don't necessarily mean in a fight, as single-target attacks are equally effective in a 1v1, but that we hear of no such destruction at any point in the books. For example, I think we should have heard of Voldemort destroying a muggle town, or something like that, if he was capable of it.

Feats from the 8 Harry Potter movies should not be included. Alternatively the movie versions of characters should get their own profiles.
It is something I always advocated. Harry Potter Wiki has sections of difference between Movie and Novel (e.g. Dumbledore asking calmly).
I would also like to mention that Voldemort is canonically more powerful than Grindelwald, stated multiple times in the books and on Pottermore. Their profiles seem to mix this up at times.
It would be better to allow their feats to justify their strength as "more powerful" is a vague term which could simply imply that Tom's reign of terror is more destructive rather than his strength. In a word, the statement should not be used as scaling.
On the other hand, most of the wizards/witches who have profiles here, are extremely underrepresented in the Powers an abilities-section. I suggest that we could use the Magical abilities and skills-section on the Harry Potter Wiki as a starting point for a more complete representation of their abilities.
It could be a good idea, though it should be noted that VS Battles Wiki has different view from Harry Potter Wiki regarding P&A, meaning that directly copying content is not the best choice. We need to rewrite them in our words and add references to them.

I agree with rest of them. Maybe you could start with a profile of a less controversial character as an example of how the new profile looks like. (e.g. Movie Luna Lovegood, Movie "Pink Toad")

It would be better to allow their feats to justify their strength as "more powerful" is a vague term which could simply imply that Tom's reign of terror is more destructive rather than his strength. In a word, the statement should not be used as scaling.
More powerful means more powerful, so I don't see how it's vague term? Anyway, Voldemort stalemated old Dumbledore (which I have argued here is Dumbledore's prime) with the Elder Wand, while Grindelwald lost to a younger, less experienced Dumbledore while he had the Elder Wand himself. Grindelwald never attacked Britain, because of Dumbledore, while Voldemort fought two wars against Dumbledore. Voldemort also created an army of inferi, which Grindelwald, according to Dumbledore, thought he needed the Resurrection Stone to do. So there certainly are feats to back this statement up.
It could be a good idea, though it should be noted that VS Battles Wiki has different view from Harry Potter Wiki regarding P&A, meaning that directly copying content is not the best choice. We need to rewrite them in our words and add references to them.
Yeah, I don't think we should directly copy anything.
I agree with rest of them. Maybe you could start with a profile of a less controversial character as an example of how the new profile looks like. (e.g. Movie Luna Lovegood, Movie "Pink Toad")
Yeah, I can give it a try when I get the time. Unfortunately, I'm a little busy with school at the moment.

Yeah, I can give it a try when I get the time. Unfortunately, I'm a little busy with school at the moment.
No rush, this is a popular verse and it will take a while to properly order everything.

Here are the lightning feats:
Yeah, feat one is very clearly reacting to electricity. I don't know our actual standards for lightning, but there was a time when that would be valid.

Second one is a bit more vague. I got the impression that the dodging could be from a number of reasons: It could be genuine, it could be aim-dodging, it might even be Grindelwald missing. After all, these are very mobile targets that are actively trying to make his aim difficult, and he is under very much not ideal conditions.

There are two things I must question. One, is Book of Spells canon? Two, that description is very vague. The expression of dodging is very much not rarely used to describe aim-dodging or just avoiding in general, such as how IRL I see soldiers describing their experiences in the battlefield at times as dodging bullets. I do consider that a supporting feat and maaaybe warrant a "possibly".

This feat could also be relevant on the topic of speed, as it depicts Voldemort flying from Nurmengard (the Austrian Alps) to the English Channel in the course of a short conversation/fight.
Oooh, that is indeed very interesting! It may lead up to some good results.

Yeah, feat one is very clearly reacting to electricity. I don't know our actual standards for lightning, but there was a time when that would be valid.
Yeah, I think this is the clearest one, though it could just be normal electricity, and thus be a bit slower (still an upgrade, though).
Second one is a bit more vague. I got the impression that the dodging could be from a number of reasons: It could be genuine, it could be aim-dodging, it might even be Grindelwald missing. After all, these are very mobile targets that are actively trying to make his aim difficult, and he is under very much not ideal conditions.
The whole scene is very chaotic, so, yeah, there likely are a multitude of possible reasons for why they didn't get hit. I'm not sure you can really aim-dodge cloud-to-ground lightning, though?
There are two things I must question. One, is Book of Spells canon? Two, that description is very vague. The expression of dodging is very much not rarely used to describe aim-dodging or just avoiding in general, such as how IRL I see soldiers describing their experiences in the battlefield at times as dodging bullets. I do consider that a supporting feat and maaaybe warrant a "possibly".
I think the Book of Spells is considered canon, as J. K. Rowling is credited with "Words and Creative Thoughts". The Harry Potter Wiki also lists it as canon. Again, can you really aim-dodge cloud-to-ground lightning? I agree that how he dodged the lightning is somewhat up to interpretation, though.
Oooh, that is indeed very interesting! It may lead up to some good results.
I've seen it calced to anywhere between Hypersonic+ and Massively Hypersonic on a few other forums.

The whole scene is very chaotic, so, yeah, there likely are a multitude of possible reasons for why they didn't get hit. I'm not sure you can really aim-dodge cloud-to-ground lightning, though?

I think the Book of Spells is considered canon, as J. K. Rowling is credited with "Words and Creative Thoughts". The Harry Potter Wiki also lists it as canon. Again, can you really aim-dodge cloud-to-ground lightning? I agree that how he dodged the lightning is somewhat up to interpretation, though.
Yeah, aim-dodging isn't the right word here. I don't know if there is an expression for it in english, but I meant more on moving erratically to decrease the likelihood of being hit. Aim-dodging is the closest expression I could think of, my mistake.

Ehhh, I'm not sure. Being credited with something does not equate to canonizing a work among any particular interpretations of the series. Like, an author can still participate in the creation of new games, series and what have you of a series without making it canon to any specific iteration of the series. If I am not mistaken, Rowling was involved in the movies, for example.

I do tend to trust wikis, but I'd require some harder evidence.

I've seen it calced to anywhere between Hypersonic+ and Massively Hypersonic on a few other forums.
It makes sense. Even if it took a reasonably long time, I'd still expect Supersonic or more.

Yeah, aim-dodging isn't the right word here. I don't know if there is an expression for it in english, but I meant more on moving erratically to decrease the likelihood of being hit. Aim-dodging is the closest expression I could think of, my mistake.
No problem! Your suggestion sounds logical, too.
Ehhh, I'm not sure. Being credited with something does not equate to canonizing a work among any particular interpretations of the series. Like, an author can still participate in the creation of new games, series and what have you of a series without making it canon to any specific iteration of the series. If I am not mistaken, Rowling was involved in the movies, for example. I do tend to trust wikis, but I'd require some harder evidence.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure of its canonicity, though, in my opinion, there's more evidence pointing towards it being canon than not.

Also, I just (re)discovered that Voldemort didn't transfigure Dumbledore's fire rope into a serpent made of fire, but a normal snake. I was convinced that it was made of fire because of the movie, but apparently it wasn't.

Last edited:
Why? The wizarding world might lose a war with with the muggle world, but this involves factors other than sheer firepower.
(I know I'm not providing anything of value to the discussion otherwise so...for what it's worth I think there very much are >>H8-C combat-effective spells, we are missing P&A and the current speed is a lowball at best. Age is sort of a mixed bag, I agree that it implies more knowledge and power but it also means lower phisical durability and possibly lower reactions/combat speed)

Hold the phone right there...the wizards are hard as shit to find and a single dementor stomps humanity almost passively (hyperbole...maybe) and there's a fkton of them....even assuming that the wizards get slaughtered in any direct confrontation (something I disagree with on the simple basis of teleportation, invisibility, forcefields stronger than most conventional weapons with the speed to put them up and more) that's when they decide to go write a flaming "dementors GG" in the sky of every city while those things incapacitate/kill every....one honestly.

for what it's worth I think there very much are >>H8-C combat-effective spells
I agree that wizards likely can reach higher levels of destructive capacity over time or when collaborating, but I don't think an attack with instantaneous effect from a single wizard could exceed High-8C.
we are missing P&A and the current speed is a lowball at best.
Yeah, wizards are underrepresented in the P&A-section. I'm conflicted on the speed thing, though there certainly are feats that could warrant a higher speed rating.
Age is sort of a mixed bag, I agree that it implies more knowledge and power but it also means lower phisical durability and possibly lower reactions/combat speed)
Yeah, I agree that knowledge and, thus, power increases with age. On the other hand, I don't think durability and speed get notably affected before reaching extreme age, as the characters depicted as frail are generally considerably older than even Dumbledore.
Hold the phone right there...the wizards are hard as shit to find and a single dementor stomps humanity almost passively (hyperbole...maybe) and there's a fkton of them....even assuming that the wizards get slaughtered in any direct confrontation (something I disagree with on the simple basis of teleportation, invisibility, forcefields stronger than most conventional weapons with the speed to put them up and more) that's when they decide to go write a flaming "dementors GG" in the sky of every city while those things incapacitate/kill every....one honestly.
As for the perpetual wizards vs muggles debate, I agree. Wizards are far too haxed for muggles to handle in most direct confrontations. Further, there likely wouldn't even be an open war, as the wizards would fight from the shadows (invisibility, literal muggle repelling spells, etc.) and could likely just take over all important muggle institutions with mind hax before the muggles even know they're at war. This is a bit besides the point, though.

I think he's talking about the breeding of dementors creating an unnatural fog in July.
"I thought dementors guard the prisoners in Azkaban," he said cautiously.
"They did," said Fudge wearily. "But not anymore. They've deserted the prison and joined He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I won't pretend that wasn't a blow. "
"But," said the Prime Minister, with a sense of dawning horror, "didn't you tell me they're the creatures that drain hope and happiness out of people?"
"That's right. And they're breeding. That's what's causing all this mist."

Hello! I want to propose some changes to the Harry Potter/Wizarding World profiles:
  • Feats from the 8 Harry Potter movies should not be included. Alternatively the movie versions of characters should get their own profiles.
  • Dumbledore, Voldemort and Grindelwald should be downgraded to High 8-C. Voldemort destroying the shield around Hogwarts is a movie-only thing, and Dumbledore's mist feat is based on a misunderstanding; the Harry Potter universe does not have any sort of mana, and magic works by individual spells having their own, individual effects. Therefore, the fact that Dumbledore knows a spell that has the effect of filling a city with mist, doesn't mean that he knows a spell that can blow up a certain area or harm someone with a certain durability.
  • On the other hand, most of the wizards/witches who have profiles here, are extremely underrepresented in the Powers an abilities-section. I suggest that we could use the Magical abilities and skills-section on the Harry Potter Wiki as a starting point for a more complete representation of their abilities.
  • Dumbledore and McGonagall's profiles seem to suggest that magic grows weaker with age. This is not true, and is at no point shown or even implied in canon. Power in Harry Potter is primarily knowledge and skill-based (how many and how powerful spells you know, and how good you are at using them), so power should, if anything, increase with age. As for Dumbledore's physical stats, he should scale to any other wizard/witch in the series. His supposedly slower reaction time is a lie told by him and Snape to make his injury seem less suspicious, and is disproved at the beginning of Half-Blood Prince when he draws his wand faster than Harry can see. Further, I suggest reading the Physical aptitude-section at the bottom of this.
  • I would also like to mention that Voldemort is canonically more powerful than Grindelwald, stated multiple times in the books and on Pottermore. Their profiles seem to mix this up at times.

Lastly, I have some feats from the books that could be interesting to try to calc:
  • Voldemort's fire serpent in Order of the Phoenix (Unlike in the movie, it likely isn't fiendfire, as he simply transmuted Dumbledore's fire rope.)
  • McGonagall filling a corridor with fire in her duel with Snape in Deathly Hallows
  • An unknown number of Death Eaters shaking Hogwarts at the beginning of the Battle of Hogwarts
  • Augustus Rookwood killing Fred Weasley with an explosion during the Battle of Hogwarts
  • A masked Death Eater getting hit by a conjured brick wall during the Battle of the Seven Potters
  • A giant called Golgomath ripping off another giant's head in Order of the Phoenix
  • Voldemort creating a shockwave that sent McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley flying towards the end of the Battle of Hogwarts
  • Hagrid throwing Walden Macnair across the Great Hall towards the end of the Battle of Hogwarts
  • Bellatrix sending the head of a giant, golden statue flying in Order of the Phoenix
  • Voldemort's Avada Kedavra blowing a giant, golden statue into pieces in Order of the Phoenix
  • Voldemort splitting a bridge in two in Half-Blood Prince
  • A Death Eater/giant attack in Half-Blood Prince resulting in trees being uprooted and roofs being ripped off
  • The Irish seeker, Aidan Lynch, crashing into the ground two times during the Quidditch World Cup final
  • Thorfinn Rowle collapsing a ceiling during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower

Any thoughts on this?

PS: This is my first time posting, so please feel free to correct me if you see any mistakes.
It is true that the wizarding world doesn't have a mana system, but the scale and potency of spells depends on the wizards individual skill and talent. So the more skilled and talented they are, the more larger scale of the spell they can perform which likely applies to all spells. The fogging spell(Nebulus) isn't meant to be a city fill fog spell by default but just a fog spell that even much less powerful/skilled and talented witch and wizards can perform like the magic awakened students being able to cast the same spell in a much smaller scale but dumbledore being skilled as he is can perform the spell to such lvl. So fog feat and the berlin pocket dimension feat should scale to Ap.

Last edited:
Yes, Time-Turners are canon, but they aren't really standard equipment for anyone. Additionally, all the Time-Turners at the Ministry get destroyed during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in OOTP. Lastly, you can't go back more than approximately 5 hours without risking serious damage to yourself or to time itself.
But also according to the cursed child which is sadly also tier 1 canon, adds a upgraded time turner that can control time magic without the limit of 5hours and even go foward in time to get back where they started anytime the user wants with it being perfectly stable.

Legacy confirmed that Death is really an existing character, so his profile might need to be restored.
Not really, the Death entity that appears in the 3rd trial is a being that exists inside the pocket dimension that niam created inside a book. Even the elderwand, the cloak of invisibility, and the resurrection stone are all creations that niam made for the trials and therefore not the legit ones. Tho, this would be a feat for niam as well as other keepers of creating magical artifacts and sentient beings from human to giant size that can fight even using magic.

Last edited:
It is true that the wizarding world doesn't have a mana system, but the scale and potency of spells depends on the wizards individual skill and talent. So the more skilled and talented they are, the more larger scale of the spell they can perform which likely applies to all spells. The fogging spell(Nebulus) isn't meant to be a city fill fog spell by default but just a fog spell that even much less powerful/skilled and talented witch and wizards can perform like the magic awakened students being able to cast the same spell in a much smaller scale but dumbledore being skilled as he is can perform the spell to such lvl. So fog feat and the berlin pocket dimension feat should scale to Ap.
I agree on the first part, but I disagree that we can scale completely different spells with their own individual effects and purposes to each other. We don't have any evidence or even indication that it is possible to use destructive spells of such a level.

Back