• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shedinja vs Medaka

So either Shedinja turns around sends Medaka's soul to oblivion, OR Medaka uses All Fiction and calls it all in a day's work.

I would vote Incon here.

Yeah I'm just gonna un-bloodlust Shed. Bloodlusting it was a mistake. Still going to count votes for now, though.

Considering Shedinja dies in one hit, I don't think Scar Dead would actually do anything (if it works how I think it does).

But from what I remember, Medaka doesn't lead with hax whereas all Shedinja has to do is turn around. So, that

Against a foe where none of her go to abilities work, such as someone like Iihiko or Shedinja, she goes down the line of her arsenal desperately trying to find an ability that works

Iapitus The Impaler said:
Against a foe where none of her go to abilities work, such as someone like Iihiko or Shedinja, she goes down the line of her arsenal desperately trying to find an ability that works
Yes, but she'd have to use a winning ability before Shedinja turns around, which seems unlikely to me.

@Smashor yes

Shedinja's gonna turn around quicker than Medaka gets to something that would kill Shedinja.

Especially considering that Medaka always opens by waiting for an opponent to hit her.

I think its more likely that Medaka looks at Sheds back and gets soul sucked before Medaka uses one of her effective abilities. Medaka only got a few abilities out her entire arsenal that would put down Shed, and she would have no knowledge to warn her to not look at his back.

voting shedninja.

@Gyro

Some of her go to skills include Five Forks, which can cause sicknesses and status ailments, which as we know, do work on Shedinja

Also, Medaka has actually done some roll playing, so she would probably try fire against a bug, and go for ice fire.

Most of her abilities that don't cause direct damage could potentially work. And considering she can unleash many powers at once, the odds are in her favour that she finds something to use against him. She also has her extreme luck on her side, which pushes it further in her favour

I don't think you can make Shedinja sick normally, since it lacks any organs or blood whatsoever.

Wonder Guard technically prevents against Ice Burn, Kyurem White's signature, so I'm not sure if ice fire will work either.

Poison counts

Ice fire is an ice type move. Ice fire is not combined ice and fire, it is the ability to manipulate both. While they can be combined, their default states are just ice and fire. If for some reason a double of both abilities didn't work, she could just attack with each individually which would obviously work

So... People act as if Shedinja would simply turn around first move. Like, that has never been a thing. Shedinja doesnt do that in character.

Medaka fra.

Shedinja turning around isn't a move. It's not an attack. It's literally having its back face someone. It's passive if someone sees its back. Like seriously, does even turning around have to be debated to be in character? What's next, asking if someone would look left or right first when crossing the street?

The real cal howard said:
Shedinja turning around isn't a move. It's not an attack. It's literally having its back face someone. It's passive if someone sees its back. Like seriously, does even turning around have to be debated to be in character? What's next, asking if someone would look left or right first when crossing the street?
Im debating if Shedinja giving his back to an opponent is something they'd do in character. Like, people dont usually turn around when their enemy is in front of them. Thats the point.

Since this apparently wasn't counted, this was a vote for Shedinja.

Agnaa said:
Shedinja's gonna turn around quicker than Medaka gets to something that would kill Shedinja.

Especially considering that Medaka always opens by waiting for an opponent to hit her.

So medaka waiting for an opponent to attack immediately means that Shedinja will simply turn around instead of actually attacking?

Is there a reason we are assuming af wouldn't bring her back even if it did turn around?

It clearly doesn't require conciousness if Kumagawa can come back after his head was popped

PaChi2 said:
So medaka waiting for an opponent to attack immediately means that Shedinja will simply turn around instead of actually attacking?
That's not what I said. Shedinja may start attacking but Medaka wouldn't open with Ice-Fire, Shedinja would still get quite a few things before Medaka uses a move that would kill.

@Paul Because we have 0 reason to believe that AF will work on Soul Manipulation.

@Agnaa

We know that against enemies that none of her usual abilities work on she will reach a desperate tirade of trying all her abilities to see what would work. Won't take long before she does this against Shedinja

@Iapitus Probably? But some of her abilities that she goes for more often, like Kurokami Phantom, take a bit of time to set up.

I don't want to say she'd act exactly the same way she did against Iihiko, because there were a lot of plot reasons for her to be more eager to end the fight quickly there, compared to just seeing a bug floating along.

Isn't this a bit of a mismatch? Shedinja has one win condition, which it's apparently never used in-character which means it's relying on luck, and will die from any one hit. If it so much as scratches her and triggers Encounter, it dies. There's no timeframe given on the spirit stealing anyway, so assuming it's a single glance and it happens instantly is baseless. Not only that, but the Pokedex entries don't say "looking at it's back", they state that what triggers the ability is peering into it's body from behind. A single look during battle shouldn't be enough, or at least shouldn't be assumed to instakill.

If she uses Encounter or Ice Fire for a second it dies, and she won't be holding back nearly as much as she would normally given her opponent is a hollow floating shell whose mind she can't read due to it lacking a physical brain to send signals. If anything she'll asssume it's not a living thing and attack it, resorting to minuses when physical strikes don't work. How does any of that make Shedinja more likely to win? Not to mention any other damage it deals will be healed with AF, and even the effects of Spite could be recovered if necessary.

I won't vote since I still think this is too one-sided, but can anyone please provide a single instance of Shedinja turing around mid-battle to steal an opponent's soul? If there aren't any, then I'd be inclined to believe it won't be fighting with that as one of it's main strategies as some people seem to be arguing. "it turns arount" or "she sees it's back sometime while they're fighting" are either baseless, or fail to take into account how Medaka would approach this fight.

She wouldn't keep trying to fight physically if that failed, and given the last person she couldn't hurt was Iihiko, I doubt she'd be willing to give it a moment to attack. I won't deny that her seeing into it's back long enough to have her spirit taken mid-battle could happen, but arguing it's the most likely outcome, and would happen more often than Medaka using Ice Fire or Encounter for more than a second is an assertion I whole-heartedly disagree with. Unfollowing after this because I don't intend on debating, and I've said all I really wanted to.

Agnaa said:
@Iapitus Probably? But some of her abilities that she goes for more often, like Kurokami Phantom, take a bit of time to set up.
I don't want to say she'd act exactly the same way she did against Iihiko, because there were a lot of plot reasons for her to be more eager to end the fight quickly there, compared to just seeing a bug floating along.
Yeah, but she never attacks from the back so it doesn't really matter how long it takes

There may be less emotional stress, but since it isn't human she may even take it more seriously. Medaka isn't like Hinoakge who will swing the same power at an enemy when it isn't working, she will switch to a new one

Iapitus The Impaler said:
Yeah, but she never attacks from the back so it doesn't really matter how long it takes

There may be less emotional stress, but since it isn't human she may even take it more seriously. Medaka isn't like Hinoakge who will swing the same power at an enemy when it isn't working, she will switch to a new one
It does matter how long it takes, because Shedinja could eventually happen to turn around, or dodge Medaka and have Medaka land behind it. If this could never ever happen and Shedinja would always face the opponent, then it might be a bit of a mismatch.

I can check the anime, but I am pretty sure Shedinja doesn't usually turn around in character. However, that isn't a stomp, since Shedinja very clearly has a win condition it is just one it does not usually use. As the pokedex says, it sometimes does, but not usually as we have seen

I mean, if it were to dodge one of Kurokami's attacks, would Shedinja turn around to face Medaka, or just keep staring the same way so its back faces Medaka?

But in general it's looking more and likely like Medaka wins, changing my vote.

Medaka charges it.

She goes through it because it's a ghost.

She turns around to face it.

She loses her soul.

Back