• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Medaka Box changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit after I arrived on the wiki I asked why Medaka Box was put so strong when it didn't seem to be the same as how strong they are in the manga.
So I want to change things about it. It's the first time I make a complicated post here so sorry for mistakes (and thank you to the persons who helped me).

Power​

Right now Medaka Box is 8-B City Block level and when I asked why I was told it was because of this blog which says Unzen's Super Balls explosion should be strong like that. But I don't think it's right.
Also the reason in the blog don't seem to be applied fully, because Unzen's page says he is Wall or Small Building level.

Problem with this is that Unzen thing isn't one big explosion. He uses a lot of small bombs and we see that each bomb does an explosion and Unzen already said a single one is strong enough to break old walls. Since it's a lot of Wall explosions and not one big explosion, I don't think the characters should be City Block because of this.
Also, it says Unzen destroyed a wall with physical strength but I don't think it's the case. Before Medaka explanation of his weapon, Unzen is just shown making physical movements because it's still a mystery of what the weapon is. Since he calls the wall he destroyed a old wall and in the same chapter says his bombs can destroy old walls; I think it's a reference to this wall.

And I think it makes sense if they are Wall or Small Building for most of the manga. Medaka pulled a part of the school, she damage the ground a lot, Zenkichi shake a room, Akune destroy a door, Hinokage makes metal pillar bend, etc..

It also makes sense because things like Emukae's giant plant or Nienami cutting part of a boat are considered way too strong (Naze thinks she couldn't beat it and Emukae has hard time controlling it) or impossible (her style is what made her cut it, and it works based on "it's big and strong, so i can cut").

I think it's logic for Iihiko to be stronger than that tho, since he destroyed a big hospital and Medaka (only in Shiranui Arc) beat Iihiko and destroyed the moon.

I don't understand the number and calculations, but it is what I think.

Regarding characters fighting, there's special cases like Kumagawa who is weaker than others and only can fight Medaka because naturally Medaka brings people up. I don't think most people should be as strong as Medaka, since it is an important point that Zenkichi, Kumagawa, etc. are much weaker.

Speed​

For speed, this person explained that there is problems with the numbers for the Kendo scene and the bullets scene. I don't know a lot about this, but I think it's also weird.

It says Medaka is normally 13 times faster than sound in the first arc, but in the second (Abnormal), she only was able to defeat Autopilot because she used Kurokami Phantom, which goes at the speed of sound (her normal speed failed to touch and even making kage bushin clones didn't work).

It also make sense since later being fast as sound to cut it is considered impressive because Munakata evolved (Hinokage goes at the speed of light, but it's only him and Medaka who can do that 3 times at this moment)

Powers​

Iihiko page says he has "Non-Physical Interaction (He was capable of ignoring Ajimu's non-corporeal nature)", but Ajimu don't have non-corporeal on her page, and I don't remember her being like that..
Kumagawa also has a thing saying that Book Maker can ignore non-corporeal, but I don't remember that too

Kumagawa's screws don't really do a lot of external damage, but mental damage. It can't be Book Maker since he doesn't have it at this moment.

I don't understand the "It was stated that she created a universe. However, since she comes from a metafictional parody manga, it is uncertain whether or not this should be taken seriously" in Medaka. I don't remember someone saying she created the universe.

Keys​

I think the Medaka Box separations are weird, or that they need more sometimes.

Medaka is divided by her different modes and not by arcs; and I don't see why. She become stronger every arc, get more powers, etc. and her modes are said to be like martial arts.
I think she should be divided by arcs, even more when she gets very powerful powers after one of them (Hinokage Theme Song or minus powers).

I think Kumagawa also should have more separations. There's moments where he has only All Fiction, some with only Book Maker, when he has All Fiction but weak + Book Maker, one with April Fiction, and one with Non-Fiction.

I don't know why Naze separation is between Minus arc and Wedding one, since she doesn't really have difference. It should be between Abnormal arc and Minus arc; since she gets a new power (Ice Fire) in Minus arc.

Hinokage is good, but I don't understand why he has Superhuman Strength, Speed, Durability, Stamina, Agility, Endurance and senses when everyone just has Superhuman Physical Characteristics for this.

Emukae maybe can have one after controling a minus, but I don't know.

I'm not sure, but it's weird to give Ajimu skills which the other Non-Equals have. Even if it comes from her, she don't have them now.

Last edited:
The Medaka Box profiles are painfully outdated (the lack of scans and justifications hurt)

Pretty sure most of the characters are City Block level not because of Unzen, but from backscaling off of War God Mode Medaka, who was able to move the entire school which I think is City Block level in size (why Unzen doesn't have 8-B durability? I don't know, maybe an outlier since he only got punched a few times)

I do think the keys should be split into arcs though.

The Medaka Box profiles are painfully outdated (the lack of scans and justifications hurt)

Pretty sure most of the characters are City Block level not because of Unzen, but from backscaling off of War God Mode Medaka, who was able to move the entire school which I think is City Block level in size (why Unzen doesn't have 8-B durability? I don't know, maybe an outlier since he only got punched a few times)

I do think the keys should be split into arcs though.
Medaka moved a small part of the school and the blog says it's small building (it's logic with the size she moved I think).

The explosion is the only thing put City Block I found.

I haven’t read Medaka Box but seems reasonable. However, that stuff about sonic speed statementsare probably just scrip stupidity like Flash evacuating a city from a Nuke at near lightspeed when it should have been many times FTL. CW flash also suffers from having MHS feats with Mach 2-4 statements of speed lol.

Those Hypersonic+ feats are definitely supersonic, just lower.

I could try to re-calc some of those old feats from 2013 with the suggestions if you’d like. I have a mild interest in reading series, just haven’t gotten around it.

I haven’t read Medaka Box but seems reasonable. However, that stuff about sonic speed statementsare probably just scrip stupidity like Flash evacuating a city from a Nuke at near lightspeed when it should have been many times FTL. CW flash also suffers from having MHS feats with Mach 2-4 statements of speed lol.

Those Hypersonic+ feats are definitely supersonic, just lower.

I could try to re-calc some of those old feats from 2013 with the suggestions if you’d like. I have a mild interest in reading series, just haven’t gotten around it.
I don't think it's the manga being stupid, since it's constantly considered supersonic during the entire series; like how Hinokage is constantly considered lightspeed and it makes sense with other characters catching up to supersonic being an improvement.
Hypersonic is not very logic with the manga.

The hypersonic feat is before the manga starts to be more focused on fight, and Medaka kage bushin does not seem to be just speed since people faster still see clones (Iihiko, Autopilot). I don't think the author made it to be hypersonic (especially since the writer and illustrator are not the same).
I'm just talking about kendo feat tho; the bullet mouth one is when she's already faster than that (near the end of manga) and because of a skill.

I don't know maths like that, so if someone do it it would help a lot.

Death of the author applies to series. Even if the author intended for the character to be stronger or weaker, if what the story portrays is different or contradictory then what is shown takes priority over the intentions.

However, if the other stuff is true about people comparable or above her in speed seeing afterimages, then I see why the afterimages should not be applied to speed. It's just a skill based hax.

So do you need the bullet one? The way the calc put it made it seem that Medaka from BOS scaled. The relativistic justification does seem a bit iffy.

Last edited:
Death of the author applies to series. Even if the author intended for the character to be stronger or weaker, if what the story portrays is different or contradictory then what is shown takes priority over the intentions.
The portrayal isn't really supposed to be "Medaka is going hypersonic" either tho. We see the normal students react to her stealing their things.

Death of the Author is more about ignoring installments and interpretations which aren't in text rather than the work not knowing itself too.
If we did it like that Goku would be building because he is portrayed weaker than intentions of universal in a lot of fights in DBS, no?
However, if the other stuff is true about people comparable or above her in speed seeing afterimages, then I see why the afterimages should not be applied to speed. It's just a skill based hax.
Yes.
So do you need the bullet one? The way the calc put it made it seem that Medaka from BOS scaled. The relativistic justification does seem a bit iffy.
There's no real reason for earlier Medaka to scale. We don't know when she exactly learned it (later than sooner) and it's a power instead of true speed.
It only would be useful if we made a profile for the skill's original owner, but she barely appears and has a better one anyway.

Relativistic is because she is said to do near/sub lightspeed movements.

The work not knowing itself is one of the most blatant results of author lack of knowledge on the feats they make their characters do, and that’s fine, they aren’t powerscalers. I already mentioned it before but you have stuff like CW flash reacting to a bullet that already touched his neck and grabbing it before it could pierce his skin with only mach 2 speeds. Anyways, can’t be used so doesn’t matter.

If Goku didn’t have actual showings that presented him as a legit universal being then he wouldn’t be even if the story tired to imply it.

Do you know the chapter Of that sub-lightspeed statement? Seems like the complete opposite of the matter before as if it was relativistic the sound would have completely blended together instead of becoming machine gun hits. I just wanna check the sub-light speed translation.

Last edited:
Do you know the chapter Of that sub-lightspeed statement? Seems like the complete opposite of the matter before as if it was relativistic the sound would have completely blended together instead of becoming machine gun hits. I just wanna check the sub-light speed translation.
Chapter 134. You can see japanese dialogue in this blog.

I think it's a bit weird too (though she also bends drum sticks despite being impossible in same chapter), but NisiOisin also uses lightspeed a lot in his works (Medaka Box, Monogatari, Katanagatari, Boy Girl). It also happens after we have seen Hinokage go at light speed and Medaka having his lightspeed skill.

Last edited:
I looked into it and apparently Sub-Light seems right but it doesn’t really mean much as far as I am aware, it’s any speed below the speed of light. Not really sub-relativistic, let alone relativistic.

Seems more of a figure of speech to describe her immense speed.

I looked into it and apparently Sub-Light seems right but it doesn’t really mean much as far as I am aware, it’s any speed below the speed of light. Not really sub-relativistic, let alone relativistic.

Seems more of a figure of speech to describe her immense speed.
I only have seen it being used for speeds very close to light, like special particles.

Hmm, being literal would be logic with lightspeed movements being something she and another character can do at the time but figure of speech would make sense with her being able to play drums perfectly and not having one big sound.
Though Zenkichi comment implies that she always played like this, so i think you might be right

Yeah, Zenkichi seems to have been describing the way she goes about playing drums. All about speed.

Without that statement do they scale to anything else above the bullet reactions?

Most of Medaka's speed feats without skills or techniques are: going faster than the eye can see, creating afterimages, saying she runs 100 meters per 17 seconds, climbing school buildings very fast and going through the school in 3 minutes to stop people trying to harm her friends (during it she made afterimages, climbed a building so fast she went to the 5th floor by error, and passed by lots of guys who tried to harm her) and dodging her sword which was very close to her.

Otherwise most people don't scale to Medaka to begin with, but they should all at least scale to Munakata who could react to sound and cut it I think (though it's around volume 13 or 14).
Then there's Hinokage who is light speed, Iihiko who is FTL, EoS Medaka who should be FTL, Zenkichi with paradox style who is FTL and the girl with the mouth-bullet-catching skill who could catch every bullets fired at her in her mouth (but it's a skill so I don't think it's supposed to be normal speed).

Well, I’ll try to comment on a couple of supporter’s walls before anything in case they missed the thread to see if this can get more feedback.

Can't really comment on the speed per se, but the rest honestly seems reasonable

The non-corporeal stuff is an interesting point. I could've sworn Ajimu did indeed have non-physical stuff but I can't recall exactly.

I'm willing to help
I've got college too so it's gonna be a take a long while to finish the revision
I think can make a sandbox or a drive for the review, and little by little people can add what could be changed to a lesser or greater degree.

An example would be the cosmology that I intend to blog about.

I think can make a sandbox or a drive for the review, and little by little people can add what could be changed to a lesser or greater degree.

An example would be the cosmology that I intend to blog about.
I was already scaling the verse on my friend's discord
Listing each character's abilities,feats and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back