• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

See, we told you we were working on it! (Naruto Revision Part 1: Scaling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I consider this pretty weak evidence for Obito to be scaling to Minato. He caught Minato's hand after Minato had completed swinging his Kunai through Obito's intangible head; he didn't match the attack head-on. (If someone swings a baseball bat down on your head, they could one-shot you, but if catch them by their arms you're not taking anything close to the full force of the bat hitting you directly, for example) This also reminds me of how I dislike that based on very little evidence we're saying that Minato stabbing someone with a Kunai is scaling to "possibly Large Mountain level+"....

The latter feat is just a feat for Obito's chain at most and we don't even see Minato really struggling to get out; he just teleports out of it. That doesn't mean he was forced to have no other option than to teleport in order to escape.

I'd rather just leave teen Obito as Unknown considering all of his actual attacks against Minato weren't AP-based. Minato claims that Obito wasn't an ordinary Shinobi because he saw through every one of his moves, not because he was a physical powerhouse on the level of the Raikage.

I consider this pretty weak evidence for Obito to be scaling to Minato. He caught Minato's hand after Minato had completed swinging his Kunai through Obito's intangible head; he didn't match the attack head-on. (If someone swings a baseball bat down on your head, they could one-shot you, but if catch them by their arms you're not taking anything close to the full force of the bat hitting you directly, for example) This also reminds me of how I dislike that based on very little evidence we're saying that Minato stabbing someone with a Kunai is scaling to "possibly Large Mountain level+"....

The latter feat is just a feat for Obito's chain at most and we don't even see Minato really struggling to get out; he just teleports out of it. That doesn't mean he was forced to have no other option than to teleport in order to escape.

I'd rather just leave teen Obito as Unknown considering all of his actual attacks against Minato weren't AP-based. Minato claims that Obito wasn't an ordinary Shinobi because he saw through every one of his moves, not because he was a physical powerhouse on the level of the Raikage.
Yeah, but a bat isn't someone's power, that's their weapon's power. You're still matching the physical power of their own body by catching their arm.

Uh...pretty sure standard assumption is that all attacks scale to your striking strength/AP.

It implies he wasn't able to just break free physically.

If Obito was like 8-A or something he'd have no way to stop Minato physically at all, he should at least downscale.
Alright, that makes sense.
We have one staff for and one against.

I think what Damage is getting at is that Obito caught the tail end of the swing, like Minato’s swing reaches max force and speed at the pinnacle of the swing before slowing down. Obito caught the slowing down swing, as opposed to catching the swing right before it would hit his head at full force.

If Obito was like 8-A or something he'd have no way to stop Minato physically at all, he should at least downscale.
Well, technically, putting him at Unknown isn't the same as saying he's 8-A, 8-B, or whatever. It's more like "we don't have enough conclusive evidence or feats to properly rate this character, so we simply don't." It's a bit of a copout, but it's also better than making a lot of assumptions, or rating characters inaccurately. Not saying that's what you're doing, but I'm just saying that this rating is sometimes helpful in a lot of cases. (Even if I personally dislike it)

Well, technically, putting him at Unknown isn't the same as saying he's 8-A, 8-B, or whatever. It's more like "we don't have enough conclusive evidence or feats to properly rate this character, so we simply don't." It's a bit of a copout, but it's also better than making a lot of assumptions, or rating characters inaccurately. Not saying that's what you're doing, but I'm just saying that this rating is sometimes helpful in a lot of cases. (Even if I personally dislike it)
Eh sure, but in this case it's not like Obito has conflicting physical feats, so I don't see the reason for it.

Eh sure, but in this case it's not like Obito has conflicting physical feats, so I don't see the reason for it.
It's not so much about there being conflicting feats as much as proving that what he has is a proper physical feat in the first place. (It is technically a physical feat regardless, but you get my point)

Damage's point, like Arc explained, is that Obito didn't really stop the full force of Minato's swing.

It's not so much about there being conflicting feats as much as proving that what he has is a proper physical feat in the first place. (It is technically a physical feat regardless, but you get my point)

Damage's point, like Arc explained, is that Obito didn't really stop the full force of Minato's swing.
But we don't know that Minato's swing lost its force by the time his hand finished swinging through his head.
I mean we could say he’s “Unknown, at most [Minato’s rating] (stopped the force of Minato’s swing albeit not the full force)” or something akin to that. Or maybe just a standard downscale?
That'd look really ugly. Cause then it'd be "Unknown, at most At least 7-B, possibly High 7-A"

But we don't know that Minato's swing lost its force by the time his hand finished swinging through his head.

That'd look really ugly. Cause then it'd be "Unknown, at most At least 7-B, possibly High 7-A"
If Minato is At least 7-B, possibly High 7-A, why not just downscale Obito to “7-B, at most High 7-A”

Kinda shows the same thing. Still a High 7-A+ feat.
A bit hard to tell from the video but it still doesn't look like Obito catching Minato's arm is a High 7-A+ feat to me.

Not to mention that when Obito actually gets hit from a direct attack from Minato, he is completely wrecked by it and has to retreat after just taking 1 attack.

I'm against scaling Obito to Minato.

Man brings up a decent point, does Minato not one shot Obito with his super duper mega cool thunder god teleportation giga flight energy ball attack?

Man brings up a decent point, does Minato not one shot Obito with his super duper mega cool thunder god teleportation giga flight energy ball attack?
His arm kinda melts off, and he's forced to retreat, but his back (which took the actual hit) was seemingly fine and he was still conscious and whatnot.
Overall I'd say the Rasengan is above Obito, but not to a point where he gets one-shot by it.

Why are we saying Obito can’t scale to his physicals because his arm got hit with a rasengan?

That's not really what's being said though....
Not to mention that when Obito actually gets hit from a direct attack from Minato, he is completely wrecked by it and has to retreat after just taking 1 attack.
does Minato not one shot Obito with his super duper mega cool thunder god teleportation giga flight energy ball attack?
It's not the only thing that's being said, but it's an argument

It's not the only thing that's being said, but it's an argument
It's not the important thing here. Obito's durability already downscales.

His AP is what's being questioned here.
Damage is against him scaling due to this

My doubts is in regards to Minato's striking strength here, along with Obito catching his arm being enough for him to scale.

Ay is only Large Mountain level+ in V2. He is in fact rated as At least City level ordinarily.

A considers him a rival, as they fought many times, if not a superior[4]

Fighting many times doesn't mean all of those fights were with V2 active.

Being the strongest overall doesn't mean his base striking strength has to be higher than Sage Mode Jiraiya's.

Also that whole statement is highly suspect considering the existence of Madara and Hashirama.

Potentially comparable to A

Could be comparable to A, sure. Does not mean he has to be comparable to V2 A.

So the actual evidence for Minato having Large Mountain level+ striking strength when he swung around to stab Obito in the head looks really doubtful to me.

Add on to that the fact that Obito only caught his arm; he didn't block the attack or withstand any other attack, and the whole thing looks bad to me. He didn't even "strike" Minato; he just grabbed him and held on to him for a split-second while the Kamui was activating.

36f399a397675d73151bf599cb403bc323718a69_00.gif

Just Ping me when you guys are finished with the Minato and Obito stuff.

A bit hard to tell from the video but it still doesn't look like Obito catching Minato's arm is a High 7-A+ feat to me.

I'm against scaling Obito to Minato.
Rasengan scales above physicals.
My doubts is in regards to Minato's striking strength here, along with Obito catching his arm being enough for him to scale.

Ay is only Large Mountain level+ in V2. He is in fact rated as At least City level ordinarily.

Fighting many times doesn't mean all of those fights were with V2 active.

Being the strongest overall doesn't mean his base striking strength has to be higher than Sage Mode Jiraiya's.

Also that whole statement is highly suspect considering the existence of Madara and Hashirama.

Could be comparable to A, sure. Does not mean he has to be comparable to V2 A.

So the actual evidence for Minato having Large Mountain level+ striking strength when he swung around to stab Obito in the head looks really doubtful to me.

Add on to that the fact that Obito only caught his arm; he didn't block the attack or withstand any other attack, and the whole thing looks bad to me.
We know V2 is his go to form against Minato as his very first encounter he was in V2, considering his statement of it being his top speed.
14.jpg

And then the next time he attacked Minato he was again using his top speed AKA V2
1.jpg

Standard assumption on this wiki is if you're stronger than someone your AP scales above them.

Hashirama and Madara weren't always meant to be as strong as they are. Remember Hiruzen being considered the strongest Hokage? Yeahhhhhhhh.

There are way more vague AP feats than that in many of the sandboxes.

We know V2 is his go to form against Minato as his very first encounter he was in V2, considering his statement of it being his top speed.

In terms of actual AP we don't have any direct feats of how it compares to Minato's physicals. For all we know if Minato had stood there, A's fist would have taken his head clean off.

Standard assumption on this wiki is if you're stronger than someone your AP scales above them.

Minato's overall skillset or jutsu could be superior to A, but I don't see any evidence that his striking strength has to be comparable.

And Obito's striking strength being comparable to V2 A based on this is extremely tenuous; seeing as he didn't even manage to strike Minato. At best you can argue he blocked his swinging arm which could be durability, and he gripped his arm for a brief span of time which could be considered lifting strength.

But his actual AP is in doubt here.

There are way more vague AP feats than that in many of the sandboxes.

They could be called out then.

As for Obito, considering how bad his performance was against Minato I'm more in favor of an Unknown rating for him.

In terms of actual AP we don't have any direct feats of how it compares to Minato's physicals. For all we know if Minato had stood there, A's fist would have taken his head clean off.

Minato's overall skillset or jutsu could be superior to A, but I don't see any evidence that his striking strength has to be comparable.

And Obito's striking strength being comparable to V2 A based on this is extremely tenuous; seeing as he didn't even manage to strike Minato. At best you can argue he blocked his swinging arm which could be durability, and he gripped his arm for a brief span of time which could be considered lifting strength.

But his actual AP is in doubt here.

They could be called out then.

As for Obito, considering how bad his performance was against Minato I'm more in favor of an Unknown rating for him.
We have statements though. That's where his possibly High 7-A+ comes from.

Obito isn't flat out comparable to V2 Ay, he's at least Base Naruto level, at most V2 Ay level.

Two people clashing and meeting in the middle is a show of relative AP.

I don't think they're bad reasoning though, I think those and this are reasonable.

He wasn't on Minato's level, but he wasn't glaringly inferior or anything. He obviously left enough of an impression for Minato to think he had to give up his life.

Didn't Obito block a sword strike from Suigetsu with just his arm? Could Obito just scale to that for now instead of unknown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back