• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY Scaling 2: Thread Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
Previous OP (Please read if you are new to this debate)

Introductio

Currently only two lines of justification support the High 7-C ratings on the profiles for Glynda Goodwitch and Qrow Branwe, and by extension the scaling for these two affect the profiles of Winter Schnee, Tyria,Hazel Rainart, Oscar Pine, James Ironwood, and Leonardo Lionheart.

I don't think the justifications are good enough for these characters.

Qrow's Justifications
This is the current justification for Qrow's profile:

Easily fended off Emerald Sustrai, Mercury Black, and Cinder Fall with half of the Maiden of Fall's power
Emerald and Mercury are High 8-C so we can pretty much write them off. Fending them off would not grant High 7-C stats. So what we're left with is:

Easily fended off Cinder Fall with half of the Maiden of Fall's power
Now, I don't think this is good enough justification because it's a bit misleading as to what actually happened. What happened was that Qrow showed up and severed the connection between Cinder and Amber, Cinder made an explosive mine appear underneath Qrow who dodged it. Then Cinder and her cohorts vanished.

The full encounter can be viewed here.

And that… is all that happens.

He didn't land any meaningful hits on her, she didn't land any meaningful hits on him. There are no calcs or feats supporting Qrow to be High 7-C. Some more points in detail:

Point #1: Cinder couldn't be sure Qrow was alone.

• She would have no way of knowing if he had backup on the way, or if Amber was about to get back up and keep fighting. So it's impossible to prove she only left because she was scared of Qrow.
Point #2: Cinder had only just stolen the Maiden's powers.

• She has had no training with them, we can't be sure of how effectively she could use them straight away. She may have doubted herself and rather than risking everything, she decided to leave and finish the job later.
Point #3: Qrow never actually hit her.

• This one requires a slightly different interpretation of what happened when he arrived. Instead of cutting off the connection and hitting her to knock her back, what happened was that Qrow cut off the connection and Cinder jumped back to avoid his sword.
    • Because of how quickly and unfocused the action is when Qrow arrives, we never actually see Qrow's sword hitting Cinder.
    • If Emerald and Mercury are fast enough to avoid his blade, then there's good chance Cinder could avoid it too.
Counterpoints and Rebuttals
Counterpoint #1: Qrow pushed Cinder back when he arrived, therefore he must be comparable.

• Rebuttal: Cinder was likely off her guard when Qrow appeared. She may have had her Aura unprepared for him and was therefore pushed back. Remember that Jaune was able to chip Cinder's mask when she was distracted in Volume 5.
    • If Cinder wasn't blocking against his hit, then he obviously does not require High 7-C AP to simply knock her back. After all, he did not no damage to her whatsoever. It's impossible off that clash alone to deduce that he could hurt her.
Counterpoint #2: Cinder obviously left because Qrow posed a huge threat to her.

• Rebuttal: We have no idea what's going through Cinder's head here. The last we see of her, she is looking all smug and then she vanishes. While it may be reasonable to assume that Cinder wanted to avoid a further confrontation, that isn't enough to assume Qrow must be Half-Maiden Cinder's level.
Glynda's Justifications
This is the current justification for Glynda's profile:

She was able to fight Cinder Fall with half of the Fall Maiden's powers for a period of time, Comparable to Qrow
Well, let's remove the Qrow bit for now since his scaling has been called into question, making her current justification just:

She was able to fight Cinder Fall with half of the Fall Maiden's powers for a period of time
The problem with this is just being able to fight her isn't good reasoning.

Here is the entire fight between the two of them.

• Glynda does not land a single hit on Cinder for the entire fight.
  • Glynda blocks only a single fireball from Cinder the entire fight.
So at best we have a single durability feat out of this entire exchange in Glynda's favor. From a casual fireball flung out by Cinder; the same kind of fireball mind you that Cinder used against Ruby during in Volume 5 which didn't even break her Aura.

This isn't very convincing that Glynda, and therefore all high-tier characters should directly scale to half a Maiden's power unless you want every single character in the cast to be Large Town level.

Summary
The High 7-C ratings for Qrow and Glynda, and therefore the other six high-tier profiles are very questionable for reasons I've outlined above. I simply don't think they should be rated as High 7-C.

Maybe my standards a little bit too high, but the justifications being used aren't enough.
Current Arguments and counterarguments:

I will breifly sum up some points and counterpoints made:

Direct Scaling Feats:

• Glynda Blocks a Fireball from Cinder
    • Some claim this feat is casual, especially considering she and the guy wanted to keep a low profile in the situation at hand.
    • This "Casual Feat" claim is supported by Cinder fireballing Ruby at a later time and Ruby surviving it, as well as the fact that no other hits/exchanges are made in that fight.
    • Even in the case of a direct scale, Kalitas claims that it wouldn't scale to AP as Glynda's forcefeild has not been broken by other characters before. He also mentions how there is no statement connecting her TK to Forcefields, this the two shouldn't be interchangeable.
    • Others have mentioned that it may take a while to get accustomed to the Maiden powers, evidenced by Mercury and Emerald giving Amber a fight. This is justified with an in-universe statement claiming how her inexperience helped cause her to be incapacitated.
  • The "forced retreat argument"
    • I don't understand how this applies to scaling. As mentioned above, Cinder had just absorbed the Fall Maiden's powers, and likely had little control over them. It's natural that she wouldn't want to complicate things by fighting a hunter, and she's not the type to take a risk. This argument in itself doesn't provide for scaling, villians can over/underestimate heroes all the time.
Statements:

• Qrow states he can "Take on" a maiden with a group.
    • Incorrect. The situation in itself was referring to attacking the bandit camp and not the Maiden. This was at the beginning of Season 5, and Qrow had no way of knowing the status of the Spring Maiden in the camp itself or Raven's status as the Maiden, or her alliance with Cinder. This, I feel, is irrefutable, and an understandable misunderstanding of the situation.
  • Watts states that Qrow could mean trouble for them.
    • Also incorrect. Watts was only referring to how much attention he could bring to them in a largescale fight. He didn't seem to have any lack in confidence in how easily they could beat him, just that
  • Ospin comments of Hazel's stregnth, ergo Hazel should scale to pre-kid Ospin
    • While somewhat reasonable, Ospin would have been aware of Hazel's abilities for a long time due to his connection with his sister, and he's only warning his students. He's also saying this in a severely weakened state.
  • Tyrian is sent to hunt a Maiden.
    • Hunt, especially in that context doesn't mean fight or kill all the times. He could simply be locating her or trying to attack them with stealth. Tyrian's abilities have been overestimated on another occasion from the same character, as well.
If I have missed anything, please tell me, and I will update this list.

If you have a rebuttal, please tell me which point you are refuting instead of generally rebutting my post, or dismissing it. That way I can get a clear response back to you without any misunderstandings.

I also have rescind my previous compromise agreement, I don't think there is enough evidence on the opposition as it stands.

Another few things to add to the refuttal

>Cinder and her two adopted children were all exhausted after that big fight modt likely, smd especially not in top condition.

>Cinder did not use her maiden powers against Qrow nor Glynda, which were what makes her High 7-C, at base shes much less powerful. Maiden powers have been proven to be an on and off power that they can activate when they need, and is signalled by the flashing eyes. Therefore we cant scale anyone off of it seeing as it wasnt even the right powers.

Cinder did use her maiden powers against glynda, she has never once used dust for anything other than making weapons or glass

Some things I noticed that were wrong in the last thread. Qrow absolutely knew that they would be fighting a maiden at Raven's camp. Not only did he say that the maiden was there, but in volume 4 chapter 4 Family, we see that Qrow knows the spring maiden is on Raven's side. Also the fireball that hit Ruby can't even be compared to the one vs Glynda, since Salem specifically said to not kill Ruby at the start of volume 4, and cinder was there for that.

If Cinder was using the maiden powers, then her eye would be glowing, she was only using glass and fire dust in that battle.

Morlock435 said:
Some things I noticed that were wrong in the last thread. Qrow absolutely knew that they would be fighting a maiden at Raven's camp. Not only did he say that the maiden was there, but in volume 4 chapter 4 Family, we see that Qrow knows the spring maiden is on Raven's side. Also the fireball that hit Ruby can't even be compared to the one vs Glynda, since Salem specifically said to not kill Ruby at the start of volume 4, and cinder was there for that.
Just because he thinks he can take on a maiden, doesnt mean he can. Maidens are meant to be the strongest ones around, if any professional can just take one out no problem then that defeats the purpose and makes them illogical

Plus, he never said they were going there to fight, perhaps he wanted to reason, and he insisted that he, Lionheart, and all the kids could stand a chance, not him alone against Raven, whose equally matched, and the maiden. Even Lionheart told him this and he never suggested it

Cinder couldnt even see who she was hitting, it was merely a warning shot, nothing that can be scaled from.

WeeklyBattles said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1gs8KrM-M&t=446shttps://youtu.be/hq1lk-QWxNg?t=457
Her eyes glowed the same way in these scenes that they did in the scene where she fought Glynda. This is Cinder using her maiden powers.
Thats not the maiden powers, I know you know what I mean, the maiden effect is the flares around the eyes, not the eyes randomly glowing, which is different to what youre showing.

Cinder uses fire dust, she used it even before she got any maiden powers in her fight. Her literal name is Cinder. If it was related to her maiden powers, the flares would glow around her eyes.

Yes it is her maiden powers

She uses lava dust not fire dust and she has never used it to make anything other than weapons

The fact that people are willing to ignore blatant facts about a character's abilities just to downplay them is astounding.

Seriosuly? Dude, the flame wing effects around her eyes are the maiden powers, not Cinder glowing eyes. Almost everyone in RWBY can change up their eyes a little.

Lava dust? When was this ever said to be lava dust? Its fire...

Yeah, I just checked the wiki, its called 'Burn Crystals' and they use fire...are you saying Cinder hasnt got fire manipulation as one of her base powers?

Yes seriously. Its her maiden powers. Only full maidens have the flame wings around their eyes along with the glow, Cinder's eyes just glow. If by everyone you mean no one other than Yang then youre correct.

Yes lava dust. Fire Dust is red, the dust Cinder uses is orange. Good to see youre ignoring even more evidence.

Jinx666 said:
Yeah, I just checked the wiki, its called 'Burn Crystals' and they use fire...are you saying Cinder hasnt got fire manipulation as one of her base powers?
Yes, thats exactly what im saying. She doesnt have fire manipulation without her maiden powers.

WeeklyBattles said:
Jinx666 said:
Yes, thats exactly what im saying. She doesnt have fire manipulation without her maiden powers.
....Except we've seen her use fire dust even before she became a maiden, and the fact there is no mention or showing of lava dust. Idk what else to tell you, her name is Cinder for a reason..

I'll say that again.

Whether or not Cinder was using her Maiden powers or not is irrelevant, because she outright blows up Glynda's attacks, thus the latter doesn't scale

She doesnt use fire dust. Fire Dust is red, her dust is orange.

Cool, show me where she shoots fire out of her hands before she gets her maiden powers and i'll believe you.

Yeah? Cool, Flynt Coal doesnt use rocks despite his name being literally two different kinds of stone if youre honestly trying to use the name route of all things.

Which means that she has a High 7-C forcefield (which is completely fine by me given that nothing has ever broken it).

But she doesn't tank it with her Aura, which is the thing that would scale to her other stats

Exactly true but, we know now when Cinder is using her maiden powers by the effects that her eyes glow with. Which wasnt the case. Heck, they even make her eyes glow after evealing the maiden eye effect, only proving that its a separate thing.

Can someone else please tell him?

WeeklyBattles said:
She doesnt use fire dust. Fire Dust is red, her dust is orange.
Cool, show me where she shoots fire out of her hands before she gets her maiden powers and i'll believe you.

Yeah? Cool, Flynt Coal doesnt use rocks despite his name being literally two different kinds of stone if youre honestly trying to use the name route of all things.
She uses that arrow fire pillar burst thing on Amber. Which is fire. Theres no other form oflava dust confirmed, nor do we actually see any of the crystals Cinder uses, since shes woven them into her clothing. The dust effects arent always the same colour as the crystal either. Idk why its so hard to believe that its fire

Flynt Coals name was based on a meme, but Cinder is literally connected to fire whenever you see her...

WeeklyBattles said:
She was using her maiden powers, everyone else agrees that she was but you Jinx
Im not hearing anyone say that. Dude, the maiden powers being used are signified by the glowing eye effects. I dont even want to link them cause I know you know what im talking about. Her eyes glowing are different to the flames that appear.

Even so, like Kalt says its irrelevant, and we cant scale anyone from it

Because fire dust is dinstinctly red in color, everyone else who uses fire dust shows this. Its definitely not fire dust as fire dust isnt orange even in powdered form which we've seen before.

Okay, then Oobleck should be elementally intangible

What are you talking about? The only person I can think of is Weiss with that sword attack, but that hardly looks like fire. Heck, the fire was the same as Cinders when she set that tree on fire. They are literally just burn crystals, theres no such thing as lava, youre literally assuming its not fire and instead is lava? Fire is orange anyway, lava is the thing thats red.

Oobleck is based off a fictional character. All im saying is that Cinder is literally symholised by fire, thats her main schtick. Even the Rwby wiki says she has fire manipulation separate from her maidens as well. And also the Cinderella pun. The names do have something to do with the character yknow. In most cases.

We havent seen the crystals Cinder uses in its crystal form either. She hss hers woven into her clothing (which is red) and in vials for her glass. So idk why youre arguing about it at this point, youre riding a dead horse.

That same website says she used dust during her fight with Glynda

https://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Cinder_Fall

I was also told we shouldn't be using that site as a trusted source

specifically with this quote

"On her upper back, in the keyhole of her dress, she has a black tattoo of what appears to be a pair of high heel shoes placed sole to sole, forming a heart shape inside. Whenever she uses the Dust that is sewn into her dress, the designs on the arms, back, and chest glow bright orange. Her eyes and earrings also glow."

Also the link you posted says this

• Bright orange-colored - This type of Dust is sewn into the designs on two of Cinder Fall's outfits, and crystals are seen in the volcanic biome in Amity Colosseum. Examples of its use include launching a fiery projectile that splatters to the ground when blocked,[14] creating explosive eruptions,[15] making weaponry out of obsidia[16] and generating heat to melt ice.[17]

Thats funny, cause the wiki also says that Cinder uses fire attacks.

Its never been confirmed to be lava, its never stated to be lava dust and frankly if it was lava, then it would pretty much melt through the surroundings like it. Oure assuming its lava when its fiery, its used by a character associated with fire (not just the name, thats just a side argument).

Heck, that dust could be the one that creates the weapons she makes. If I recall, they do flare orange when the weapons are being forged.

Point is, you cant assume its lava when it clearly looks to be fire. She literally burns through Pyrrhas Milo with her hands while her eyes glow (not in the maiden way)

If this site has misinformation then we need to contact the person running the wiki to inform them of said miss information and remove the link from the verse page. When we put that link there we are saying that they are trust source of infromation on this verse, if they are wrong then that is clearly not the case.

Yes we shouldnt use the wiki as a trusted source im just point out that they consider Cinder's dust and fire dust two different things and added a picture that visibly makes them two different kinds of dust

Point is, you cant assume its lava when it clearly looks to be fire. She literally burns through Pyrrhas Milo with her hands while her eyes glow (not in the maiden way)

She is totally using her maiden powers during her fight with pyrrha

Cinder doesnt use fire without her maiden powers

Cinder doesnt use fire dust

These are non-arguable facts

They are when we see that her weapons have to forge using heat (signified that the orange dust is heat creation rather than fire), which nonetheless generates fire. But thats just my take on it.

But again, its irrelevant. None of the fireballs apart from that arrow attack were hitting Glynda, we cant scale her from it, her fireballs have only shown to hurt Ruby. And the maiden powers are clearly shown when they are being used intensely by the eye effects. We cant scale anyone to maiden powers or Cinder.

Why are we even arguing Gylnda blocking Cinder's fireball?

Let's assume it wasn't a casual feat, ignore the fact that we're not scaling Ruby in a simlar situation, igore how in the situation she wouldn't have wanted to go all out as they were running a covert operation, also ignore how Cinder may have been getting accustomed to her powers, which is totally something supported in canon and is why Amber was able to be taken out so easily.

Yeah, let's ignore all of that.

Glynda now has a High 7-C forcefeild that doesn't scale to anyone.

Please also respond to what Kalitas is bringing forward:

Which means that she has a High 7-C forcefield (which is completely fine by me given that nothing has ever broken it).

But she doesn't tank it with her Aura, which is the thing that would scale to her other stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back