• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please understand I have no idea what most of you are talking about. What is Light Dust and can anyone prove this exist? I've never heard of Light Dust before.

I've only watched the Volumes and have zero knowledge beyond the series, excluding Grim Eclipse. I know of Hard Light Dust, but this does not equal Light Dust. Since the name clearly means the "light" is solid, which isn't real light. Hard Light Dust constructs can be stand on and used as shields to physically block bullets.

Note: Hard Light Dust does not disprove the possibility of Light Dust being real or lasers being actual light. However it's 100% irrelevant to this discussion. I don't think it should be brought up, since it doesn't prove or disprove anything about Light Dust. Both of them can exist just fine.
Yes, the Dust youre thinking of is Hard Light Dust, and it is not just used for platforms and shields, it is used in technology such as Velvet's camera and other cameras in the verse including the ones built into Scrolls, as well as holograms and other light projections (including the laser weaponry used by Atlas). Just because it can be used to make hard light constructs does not discredit it being lightspeed when fired as a raw laser, especially when its used for cameras, the exact means of justifying lightspeed in the lightspeed qualifications list.

Nothing states Velvet's camera works off Light Dust or whatever to produce a picture. Her making weapons is from Hard Light Dust, but the camera flash isn't dust. There is no reason to assume that works off Dust unless you can provide proof and not speculation based on an assumption.

"Being a small rabbit Faunus in one of Beacon's most illustrious teams of all time, Velvet feels like all eyes are on her. Incessant whispers about her inadequacy and veiled Faunus discrimination continuously scar her heart. To make matters worse, the combination of having an intelligence type Semblance, dependence on hard light Dust (the rarest Dust) for her camera, and losing precious photos of friends with each attack forces Velvet to take the backseat in most combat situations."
Don't expect me to be consistent in my replies. I'm a bit under the weather, so don't be surprised if I go offline for periods of time. I want to list all of the proof in one easy to read post for Penny's lasers. That way every single possibility can be easily discussed without missing anything.
Oof, sorry to hear, hope you feel better, i'll try to grab any other evidence i find

Currently I am in disagreement with the thread based on Rusty's posts above.

Yes, the Dust youre thinking of is Hard Light Dust, and it is not just used for platforms and shields, it is used in technology such as Velvet's camera and other cameras in the verse including the ones built into Scrolls, as well as holograms and other light projections (including the laser weaponry used by Atlas). Just because it can be used to make hard light constructs does not discredit it being lightspeed when fired as a raw laser, especially when its used for cameras, the exact means of justifying lightspeed in the lightspeed qualifications list.

Is there any connection between the hard light Dust and lightspeed?

Is there any connection between the hard light Dust and lightspeed?
Ye, in essence Dust is just a crystalized form of its respective natural element, and when the Dust itself is utilized in its raw form it releases that natural element, similar to how Lightning Dust creates natural lightning when used in its raw form, Hard Light Dust when projected in its raw form creates natural light, as well as the aformentioned uses in cameras and holograms

Reflective Surface. (Reflects off ice) Personally I'm iffy with this but won't argue against it.

Are considered to be lasers by a knowledgeable source. (Wording heavily implies this is a Atlas scientist)

Penny maybe capable of reacting to and inputting electromagnetic pulses. (Is this automated for her or not)

Getting proof of Light Dust actually existing would be great. What else do we have?
Right now I’m taking screenshots of Penny’s hacking and using radios. I’ll upload it soon, but after she hacks into the gate, she says

“Wow! I solved it quick that time.” Which implies that she has an active role in the hacking. I’ll send you the screenshots once I’m done.

There is a cute bit in there about Penny getting stage fright when the other members of Team RWBY are looking at her while she’s hacking. Not only is this adorable and shows that Penny was ******* robbed of us in the show, but it shows that it’s an active process that she has to concentrate to do.

There is a cute bit in there about Penny getting stage fright when the other members of Team RWBY are looking at her while she’s hacking. Not only is this adorable and shows that Penny was ******* robbed of us in the show, but it shows that it’s an active process that she has to concentrate to do.
She should also get Hacking on her profile as it’s missing.

Maybe I’m not getting it, but how is this her reacting/intercepting the waves mid movement? This just seems like she’s outputting a frequency to match another frequency, and can read what the frequencies are meant for. Like she’s getting a ping in her head, and matching that ping, not catching a ping before it reaches her. It’s hitting her and then she’s reacting.

And even then, this seems much different from her combat reactions?

Like by this logic, any character that can read Radio Waves would be lightspeed unless I’m misunderstanding

Maybe I’m not getting it, but how is this her reacting/intercepting the waves mid movement? This just seems like she’s outputting a frequency to match another frequency, and can read what the frequencies are meant for. Like she’s getting a ping in her head, and matching that ping, not catching a ping before it reaches her. It’s hitting her and then she’s reacting.

And even then, this seems much different from her combat reactions?
Well, if she can react to and compute radio waves bouncing back and forth from the gate to her, it can show that she can react around that speed in combat. After all, it makes sense that if she can compute thousands of pulses each second, she can also transfer those kinds of reactions in a fight. Especially since she’s a robot.

This can be used as more supporting evidence that RWBY characters can react to things close to or at lightspeed.

Aren't these the same group of characters that failed to stop each other from falling off of a platform in the latest volume? Really hard to picture them as Relativistic fighters in all honesty.

Well, if she can react to and compute radio waves bouncing back and forth from the gate to her, it can show that she can react around that speed in combat. After all, it makes sense that if she can compute thousands of pulses each second, she can also transfer those kinds of reactions in a fight. Especially since she’s a robot.
No, I don’t much care for this scaling to her reactions.

I’m talking about it being feat at all for lightspeed. She’s not intercepting radio waves and reacting to them mid transmission. She’s just receiving them like a beacon would, and then putting out her own to match the ones she’s receiving. That’s not really a reaction feat

Aren't these the same group of characters that failed to stop each other from falling off of a platform in the latest volume? Really hard to picture them as Relativistic fighters in all honesty.
To be fair, you can saw that about ANY verse and their anti feats. It’s not fair to single out RWBY for something that any FTL verse is guilty off.

To be fair, you can saw that about ANY verse and their anti feats. It’s not fair to single out RWBY for something that any FTL verse is guilty off.

You're not wrong. Depends on the frequency of antifeats and the scarcity of feats IMO.

Even if penny's radio waves thing doesnt get accepted the fact that Hard Light Dust is canonically what make cameras work should be proof of lightspeed for the raw projection of Hard Light Dust

Because plot needs to happen duh

It's like how in mha they treat Mach speed as impressive but can move massively above Mach 1, also travel speed doesn't equal combat speed

Amity Arena information is indeed canon.

Hard Light Dust: Despite the name, Hard Light Dust can be used to power things like a camera's flash. This is clearly lightspeed for obvious reasons. The card information states that Velvet's camera is powered by Hard Light Dust, and not just her weapon creation thing. Velvet also recreated Penny's lasers as well.

Penny's Weapon: Her weapon are stated to be lasers.

Ironwood's Weapon: Winter reflected a blast from Ironwood's weapon with a sheet of ice. His weapon is identical to Penny's laser, just stronger.

Penny Arrowfell: Was capable of perceiving electromagnetic pulses/radio waves. It's confirmed she does this herself and not via some automatic program/script.

Now what are some issues to be had with these? I've already explained Winter's ice thing, believe me or not. But I think her ice should reflect all light and not just the laser. Also just in case anyone brings it up, I don't agree with bad art as a reason for it not being reflective. It's not a mirror, just a cloudy wall of ice.

Penny's weapon, to my knowledge, isn't powered by Hard Light or Light Dust. As such the Velvet's thing don't connect to Penny's lasers.

While Penny maybe able to think at speeds comparable to light, her combat speed has no reason to scale without the lasers being legit first. Also it isn't certain Penny is perceiving to Light. As Kingofwolves explains above, there are alternate ways of explaining this scene without lightspeed perception.

Being stated to be a laser isn't good enough by itself. Or else the laser rule wouldn't exist in the first place. Having light technology isn't support for her lasers, the wiki requires such proof to be on the laser itself and not something else. Just because Velvet's camera produces light, doesn't mean Penny's laser is light.

Outside of possible laser feats and Penny's thing, which has no reason to scale to anything but her ability to think/perceive... Assuming it's works like that. There is really nothing else in RWBY that is on par with lightspeed. The fastest feat I'm seeing is Mach 380+, which is vastly below even Sub-Relativistic speeds.

I'll be going to sleep for now. Feel free to discuss without me.

Yeah with the copy of her laser didn't she like vaporize that robot or something
Ok so normal lasers probably don’t vaporize hunks of metal in an instant. Again, she’s copying and her creations are hard light (which doesn’t mean much for speed), that doesn’t say much for the originals. And especially not for Penny when she can copy Yang’s explosions and Coco’s bullets.

Are Coco’s bullets light speed?

She also seems to collect energy with large orbs of light before firing off the big beam

Ok so normal lasers probably don’t vaporize hunks of metal in an instant. Again, she’s copying and her creations are hard light (which doesn’t mean much for speed), that doesn’t say much for the originals. And especially not for Penny when she can copy Yang’s explosions and Coco’s bullets.

Are Coco’s bullets light speed?
Theres a big difference between a bullet and a laser my guy

Theres a big difference between a bullet and a laser my guy
The stipulation being put out is “Velvet made Penny’s laser with hard light dust” as a reason for light speed. But that’s kinda stopped by the fact that she can make bullets from hard light too. So why is Velvet making her beam relevant?

The stipulation being put out is “Velvet made Penny’s laser with hard light dust” as a reason for light speed. But that’s kinda stopped by the fact that she can make bullets from hard light too. So why is Velvet making her beam relevant?
Because the bullets arent a raw projection of hard light dust, theyre a construct

Because the bullets arent a raw projection of hard light dust, theyre a construct
So Velvet is making a hard light projection of Penny’s beam. How does that prove anything about Penny’s beam being a hard light projection itself and not just energy? Energy dust exists too if I’m correct from Weiss’s rant in volume 1.

Also you got that scan my guy, this whole convo is kinda pointless if you have it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back