• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
It reflects off of mirrors as well as sheet ice
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
It cones from Light Dust, with Dust in RWBY being natural elements in the same way that Lightning Dust generates natural lightning when projected in its raw form
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
It does in fact get used in cameras, Velvet's camera in particular, as well as stuff like hologram projections

Theres also stuff like Penny being able to perceive and react to radio waves in Arrowfell

Cool, this doesn't mean anything for lightspeed. A generic energy blast can do the same thing, that doesn't make it a laser. Atlas having light manipulating technology doesn't mean her beams are lasers either. You need to show proof that these energy beams are actually meant to be real light and move at lightspeed.
I mean, it kinda does? All light manipulating tech uses Light Dust as a means of doing so, the same thing that makes the lasers and other light-based weaponry

It reflects off of mirrors as well as sheet ice
“Lasers” in other series fall in line with this as well, WHM/Aoyama’s Navel (MHA) lasers and the ones from Yu Yu Hakushou (Spirit Gun Laser), even called on the wiki that it takes the appearance of a beam of light, or Ramiel’s beam from Neon Genesis
It comes from Light Dust, with Dust in RWBY being natural elements in the same way that Lightning Dust generates natural lightning when projected in its raw form
Answer for this one was written after the one for Velvet’s camera, so read that first.
Hardlight is a very different thing than normal light
From the RWBY fandom wiki, which has been reviewed several times over I’m sure, “One example of its use is laser-like” not a láser perfecto
Even if it was, that wouldn’t make it perfectly light speed, as experiments have actually been done to test it’s light speed, best way to summarize it would have been here
It does in fact get used in cameras, Velvet's camera in particular, as well as stuff like hologram projections
If I’m correct, that’s hard light dust, which is an entirely different thing, adding mass to light (which has next to nothing in terms of mass), is going to grossly lower it’s speed
Theres also stuff like Penny being able to perceive and react to radio waves in Arrowfell
Is that canon? (Genuine question), and even then, it has to be proven to be consistent with the story line.

Is that canon? (Genuine question), and even then, it has to be proven to be consistent with the story line.
Yeah it is

During the panel, writers Kerry Shawcross, Miles Luna, and Eddy Rivas revealed tons of new details about RWBY: Arrowfell during the panel. It’s 100% canon, and they intentionally left a time-skip in Volume 7 with this upcoming game in mind. The game is a Metroidvania with a sprawling world and item-based progression, and Luna described it as “like Shantae with RWBY.”

Yeah it is

During the panel, writers Kerry Shawcross, Miles Luna, and Eddy Rivas revealed tons of new details about RWBY: Arrowfell during the panel. It’s 100% canon, and they intentionally left a time-skip in Volume 7 with this upcoming game in mind. The game is a Metroidvania with a sprawling world and item-based progression, and Luna described it as “like Shantae with RWBY.”
Aight, thanks

“Lasers” in other series fall in line with this as well, WHM/Aoyama’s Navel (MHA) lasers and the ones from Yu Yu Hakushou (Spirit Gun Laser), even called on the wiki that it takes the appearance of a beam of light, or Ramiel’s beam from Neon Genesis
Okay? Reflecting off of reflective materials is literally one of the criteria for determining lightspeed here so im not sure what the point of this is.
Answer for this one was written after the one for Velvet’s camera, so read that first.
Hardlight is a very different thing than normal light
From the RWBY fandom wiki, which has been reviewed several times over I’m sure, “One example of its use is laser-like” not a laser perfecto

If I’m correct, that’s hard light dust, which is an entirely different thing, adding mass to light (which has next to nothing in terms of mass), is going to grossly lower it’s speed
Its not adding any mass to light, its natural light projected by technology such as cameras and holograms
Even if it was, that wouldn’t make it perfectly light speed, as experiments have actually been done to test it’s light speed, best way to summarize it would have been here
Funny thing is all of the verses listed there with the exception of Portal have those weapons listed as lightspeed lol
Yes, Arrowfell is canon, set during the few weeks timeskip in volume 7

Okay? Reflecting off of reflective materials is literally one of the criteria for determining lightspeed here so im not sure what the point of this is.
Reflectivity isn’t reliable now a days, many energy beams do this.
It needs to be a specific type of reflection of a specific type of surface. Don’t ask me I don’t know, just saying what I’ve seen in other threads and people getting bullied for saying Aoyama’s Navel Laser is light speed
Its not adding any mass to light, its natural light projected by technology such as cameras and holograms
Light ain’t solid or a liquid or a gas.
Density is an important thing, Ice Water and Steam all have different results, 918, 997, and ~600 kg/m3 respectively. If that things being used as an actual weapon that is in a, and I quote, SOLID FORM, it’s mass and density will have to have changed.
Actually it being put into shapes is another point against it being light speed, light doesn’t do that… At all, that makes it seem like a different material entirely.
Funny thing is all of the verses listed there with the exception of Portal have those weapons listed as lightspeed lol
Likely other explanations for it in verse, I’m not expert but with how strict the people here are it wouldn’t surprise me if there are lines or other such points that directly state that their light speed
Yes, Arrowfell is canon, set during the few weeks timeskip in volume 7
Neat

But I’d wait for rusty to come back anyways, he’s ya biggest detractor and I’m not exactly smart enough to say something’s good or not

Here is the radio wave feat from Arrowfell btw.

Also this is just, noticing radio waves.

A ton of verses would get up to SoL if this was true

But I’d wait for rusty to come back anyways, he’s ya biggest detractor and I’m not exactly smart enough to say something’s good or not

Also this is just, noticing radio waves.

A ton of verses would get up to SoL if this was true
It’s not so much noticing radio waves as she is actively computing them and recording each and every response. Which makes sense since she’s a super computer.

Reflectivity isn’t reliable now a days, many energy beams do this.
It needs to be a specific type of reflection of a specific type of surface. Don’t ask me I don’t know, just saying what I’ve seen in other threads and people getting bullied for saying Aoyama’s Navel Laser is light speed
Seems like you might want to make a CRT then, because reflectivity is literally one of the main qualifications for determining lightspeed

Light ain’t solid or a liquid or a gas.
Density is an important thing, Ice Water and Steam all have different results, 918, 997, and ~600 kg/m3 respectively. If that things being used as an actual weapon that is in a, and I quote, SOLID FORM, it’s mass and density will have to have changed.
Actually it being put into shapes is another point against it being light speed, light doesn’t do that… At all, that makes it seem like a different material entirely.
Im not entirely sure why youre talking about mass here, RWBY's lasers and light have no mass
Likely other explanations for it in verse, I’m not expert but with how strict the people here are it wouldn’t surprise me if there are lines or other such points that directly state that their light speed
They all follow the same guidelines that RWBY does, hell RWBY actually checks more boxes in terms of evidence for lightspeed than Halo and Overwatch

Seems like you might want to make a CRT then, because reflectivity is literally one of the main qualifications for determining lightspeed

Im not entirely sure why youre talking about mass here, RWBY's lasers and light have no mass

They all follow the same guidelines that RWBY does, hell RWBY actually checks more boxes in terms of evidence for lightspeed than Halo and Overwatch
Man you are the MVP right now.

As an end all be all, not as a rule entirely. Of course light reflects, that’s what it does, that’s how we see.
Because a laser cannot punch through a person in one go, or stay together to be used as a shield, or be used to make platforms or weapons yada yada, light doesn’t work like that, it weighs so little it would be more likely for a drop of water to do the job not light.

As an end all be all, not as a rule entirely. Of course light reflects, that’s what it does, that’s how we see.
Boyo, look at the page, its literally listed as a standard for determining light
Because a laser cannot punch through a person in one go
Im not sure what youre even trying to say with this point
, or stay together to be used as a shield, or be used to make platforms or weapons yada yada, light doesn’t work like that, it weighs so little it would be more likely for a drop of water to do the job not light.
My guy, you know what other verses have stuff that does that? Halo, Overwatch, and Destiny.

You know what other verses still consider their stuff lightspeed despite this? Halo, Overwatch, and Destiny.

A verse being high tech enough to have hard light constructs alongside lightspeed weaponry does not just instantly discredit them having lightspeed weaponry.

Boyo, look at the page, its literally listed as a standard for determining light
Do you know what “end all be all” means?
It BY ITSELF cannot prove something is light speed, because its unreliable in fiction
My guy, you know what other verses have stuff that does that? Halo, Overwatch, and Destiny.

You know what other verses still consider their stuff lightspeed despite this? Halo, Overwatch, and Destiny.

A verse being high tech enough to have hard light constructs alongside lightspeed weaponry does not just instantly discredit them having lightspeed weaponry.
Overwatch doesn’t have light speed from what I can find, didnt search through all of them just the ones that I believe would be notable for hard light such as Echo and Symmetra

The Spartan Laser is a solid state laser based weapon, which is different than hard light

Destiny from the profiles I have looked at also does not have SoL listed on their profiles for weapons, Their MHS+, Only mentioning FTL with jumpships, a mode of transportation

Do you know what “end all be all” means?
It BY ITSELF cannot prove something is light speed, because its unreliable in fiction
Yes, hence why it just supports the other pieces of evidence that prove its lightspeed
Overwatch doesn’t have light speed from what I can find, didnt search through all of them just the ones that I believe would be notable for hard light such as Echo and Symmetra
Symmetra and Zarya's lasers were both accepted as lightspeed
The Spartan Laser is a solid state laser based weapon, which is different than hard light
Yes, so are RWBY's lightspeed weapons
Destiny from the profiles I have looked at also does not have SoL listed on their profiles for weapons, Their MHS+, Only mentioning FTL with jumpships, a mode of transportation
Sorry, I meant Portal. Hard light platforms are part of a lot of levels and yet they still have lightspeed weapons

Yes, hence why it just supports the other pieces of evidence that prove its lightspeed
Well, guess that’s cleared up, that’s all I was saying, I guess we were just misunderstanding each other
Symmetra and Zarya's lasers were both accepted as lightspeed
Neither are listed anymore as SoL
Sorry, meant Portal
Idk mate, again, I’m not smart enough to know why, but if they are then Portal should probably be upped to SoL

Neither are listed anymore as SoL
Ye, there was a recent CRT that got it accepted as SoL, its going to be readded once the full profile reworks are done
Idk mate, again, I’m not smart enough to know why, but if they are then Portal should probably be upped to SoL
They already are

But yeah, just because a verse has hard light constructs doesnt mean that lightspeed lasers cannot exist
Oh yeah I agree definitely. Just that hard light itself isn’t light speed, nor does it stay as constructs at any time
Ye, there was a recent CRT that got it accepted as SoL, its going to be readded once the full profile reworks are done
“Readded” makes me think we shouldn’t talk about it, given it’s been deleted before
They already are

hell yeah

So we all agree that Pyrrha dodging Penny's lasers is a outlier but the laser feats in vol 8 aren't

Please understand I have no idea what most of you are talking about. What is Light Dust and can anyone prove this exist? I've never heard of Light Dust before.

I've only watched the Volumes and have zero knowledge beyond the series, excluding Grim Eclipse. I know of Hard Light Dust, but this does not equal Light Dust. Since the name clearly means the "light" is solid, which isn't real light. Hard Light Dust constructs can be stand on and used as shields to physically block bullets.

Note: Hard Light Dust does not disprove the possibility of Light Dust being real or lasers being actual light. However it's 100% irrelevant to this discussion. I don't think it should be brought up, since it doesn't prove or disprove anything about Light Dust. Both of them can exist just fine.

However is there anything referred to as Light Dust? Also the Invisibility Cloaks are not stated to be produced by Dust whatsoever, we shouldn't assume they're Dust just because. Proving Light Dust is real will save all of us a lot of trouble. If this is a simple question I apologize, but not everyone is knowledgeable about RWBY.

Do not speak about something and expect everyone to know what you're talking about. I believe a CRT should be easily accessible to anyone who reads it.

Reflecting off Winter's ice is kind of proof against it being light in my eyes. That ice wall is very clearly not a mirror, it should reflect all light not just that energy beam. Yet we don't see any reflection from that ice wall, and rough surface ice have horrible reflections. Ice is not a mirror and reflects far differently than a mirror.

A laser bouncing off an object that doesn't have a reflective surface... Isn't good proof for me. But you can feel free to disagree with me on this.

Can anyone prove that Penny's lasers are made with Light Dust and are meant to be lightspeed lasers? The OP of this thread does not do such a thing. You must link actual scans/video of evidence and not just assume I'll take your word for it. Prove that Light Dust exist and is shown to be used for actual light.

Nothing states Velvet's camera works off Light Dust or whatever to produce a picture. Her making weapons is from Hard Light Dust, but the camera flash isn't dust. There is no reason to assume that works off Dust unless you can provide proof and not speculation based on an assumption.

It either has to be powered like a normal camera or uses Light Dust. Which I haven't seen proof of existing beyond people saying it's real.

Don't expect me to be consistent in my replies. I'm a bit under the weather, so don't be surprised if I go offline for periods of time. I want to list all of the proof in one easy to read post for Penny's lasers. That way every single possibility can be easily discussed without missing anything.

1. Reflects off a naturally reflective surfaces.
Anything else?

Give me a chance to catch up here. Still reading through most of the thread. The above is just my immediate thoughts.

Here is the radio wave feat from Arrowfell btw.
This is actually very good. Do we have any reason to believe this can't be automated and is indeed done by her own reactions? I haven't played Arrowfell.

Please understand I have no idea what most of you are talking about. What is Light Dust and can anyone prove this exist? I've never heard of Light Dust before.

I've only watched the Volumes and have zero knowledge beyond the series, excluding Grim Eclipse. I know of Hard Light Dust, but this does not equal Light Dust. Since the name clearly means the "light" is solid, which isn't real light. Hard Light Dust constructs can be stand on and used as shields to physically block bullets.

Note: Hard Light Dust does not disprove the possibility of Light Dust being real or lasers being actual light. However it's 100% irrelevant to this discussion. I don't think it should be brought up, since it doesn't prove or disprove anything about Light Dust. Both of them can exist just fine.

However is there anything referred to as Light Dust? Also the Invisibility Cloaks are not stated to be produced by Dust whatsoever, we shouldn't assume they're Dust just because. Proving Light Dust is real will save all of us a lot of trouble. If this is a simple question I apologize, but not everyone is knowledgeable about RWBY.

Do not speak about something and expect everyone to know what you're talking about. I believe a CRT should be easily accessible to anyone who reads it.

Reflecting off Winter's ice is kind of proof against it being light in my eyes. That ice wall is very clearly not a mirror, it should reflect all light not just that energy beam. Yet we don't see any reflection from that ice wall, and rough surface ice have horrible reflections. Ice is not a mirror and reflects far differently than a mirror.

A laser bouncing off an object that doesn't have a reflective surface... Isn't good proof for me. But you can feel free to disagree with me on this.

Can anyone prove that Penny's lasers are made with Light Dust and are meant to be lightspeed lasers? The OP of this thread does not do such a thing. You must link actual scans/video of evidence and not just assume I'll take your word for it. Prove that Light Dust exist and is shown to be used for actual light.

Nothing states Velvet's camera works off Light Dust or whatever to produce a picture. Her making weapons is from Hard Light Dust, but the camera flash isn't dust. There is no reason to assume that works off Dust unless you can provide proof and not speculation based on an assumption.

It either has to be powered like a normal camera or uses Light Dust. Which I haven't seen proof of existing beyond people saying it's real.

Don't expect me to be consistent in my replies. I'm a bit under the weather, so don't be surprised if I go offline for periods of time. I want to list all of the proof in one easy to read post for Penny's lasers. That way every single possibility can be easily discussed without missing anything.

1. Reflects off a naturally reflective surfaces.
Anything else?
First off, I hope you feel better dude. Sorry you feel bad. Second, I think in-universe scientists calling it a laser should be a good enough as there are scant few other definitions of a laser that doesn’t involve highly concentrated light particles. I can look up the definition in the Oxford English Dictionary for further proof. Also, I bring up the example of the invisibility cloak because it proves that, even without dust, scientists in the RWBY world are aware of how light works and how to use it. Thus, they would accurately know what a laser is and how fast it is.

First off, I hope you feel better dude. Sorry you feel bad. Second, I think in-universe scientists calling it a laser should be a good enough as there are scant few other definitions of a laser that doesn’t involve highly concentrated light particles. I can look up the definition in the Oxford English Dictionary for further proof. Also, I bring up the example of the invisibility cloak because it proves that, even without dust, scientists in the RWBY world are aware of how light works and how to use it. Thus, they would accurately know what a laser is and how fast it is.
This is mostly irrelevant. Of course scientist should know how fast light is. They better know.

Where are the scan of an in universe scientist calling Penny's weapon a laser? That's proof right there. I'd like scans so I can list them all down.

This is mostly irrelevant. Of course scientist should know how fast light is.

Where are the scan of an in universe scientist calling Penny's weapon a laser? That's proof right there. I'd like scans so I can list them all down.

it’s right below the passive skill line. I would take a screen of it in the game, but it got shut down a few years ago.

Also, you’ll be able to see that in Penny’s description, the person who is speaking is obviously a scientist who works for Atlas.

The world criticized us for making a weapon disguised as a young girl when Penny fell, but now... there's something about a bright young robot girl protecting the people with a gung ho attitude and cheery demeanor that restores hope. Dr. Polendina may have made the right decision, for humanity.

Notice how he says US, as he’s referring to his team of fellow atlas scientists

Reflective Surface. (Reflects off ice) Personally I'm iffy with this but won't argue against it.

Are considered to be lasers by a knowledgeable source. (Wording heavily implies this is a Atlas scientist)

Penny maybe capable of reacting to and inputting electromagnetic pulses. (Is this automated for her or not)

Getting proof of Light Dust actually existing would be great. What else do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back