• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY CRT Part 2: Oscar scaling

Hello all,

I have today part 2 of the CRT's I plan to role out. Today, I want to make an argument on scaling the main cast to Oscar's shield directly. I believe that this makes sense for numerous reasons for which I'll explain in this post.

First things first, I want to posit that Oscar's current magic is well below that of a maiden's. Like, WELL WELL below. We know for a fact that Ozpin's magic is dwindling through the ages. He does not scale to the maidens in the slightest due to the large magic split he gave to the original maidens, as seen with this quote.

Ozpin: "As helpful as that might be, unfortunately, it is not that simple. My power is finite, and if I'm being honest, dwindling. The amount that I gifted to Qrow and Raven was, all things considered, rather miniscule. You see, centuries ago, I sacrificed a great deal of magic to four young women, who I hoped would use my gift for good. They were the first Maidens."

This is confirmed by a tweet by Eddy Rivas, writer of RWBY.

So not only did Ozpin sacrifice most of his magic during the split, but that his magic has continued to drain and dwindle during the centuries he's been alive. Again, he says that his magic is finite at this point. He can't recover more within himself. So every time he uses magic, it's permanently gone. This is notable because, in his fight against Cinder, he used a TON of magic. All that magic he used to meet Cinder blow for blow is now permanently gone, not to mention that he straight up died. So now Oscar is left with barely any magic left, not even enough to match a maiden. And yet, as we all know, his shield was still strong enough to protect him from the blow back against The Long Memory.

Now, let's look at his performance in the Salem fight, where he shoots a laser at her.

On it's own, it does nothing. Zilch. Nada. It causes her some pain, for sure, but nothing really skin scaring. Now let's look at Yang and what her bombs did.

She blow's Salem's chest wide open. Blood and gore spattered into the air. Yang also used these bombs against Vine and Elm too.

https://youtu.be/NyrIRKRqWrA?t=179

Both of their auras failed to shimmer or shatter against these massive blows, showing that they can take the blasts. Since Yang has fought and beaten them both, she scales to her bombs.
What I am saying is that Oscar's beam was shown to be not very effective against Salem while Yang's bombs were. Thus, the main cast should easily scale to his shield. Oscar's shield and beam come from the same finite magic pool from within. He's able to utilize it in two different ways. But it's still his magic at the end of the day.

A possible argument could be made that Oscar was simply "trying" harder making his shield rather than the beam, but I don't really buy it. Oscar, after being tortured by Salem for a whole day, surely knows how powerful she is. He wouldn't leave anything to chance and try and reserve himself. Especially when Salem has Yang in her grasp.

Another counter argument could be that this makes the main cast and the maidens on the same tier, so it doesn't make sense. First, we could simply say that the maidens massively upscale from the main cast. For example, we have Beerus and Goku both at 2-C, but narratively, Goku still hasn't fought a Beerus going all out. We could do the same here.

Overall, I would like this CRT to be given a fair shake, putting aside the maiden stuff and seeing if this logic makes sense. Thank you.

Back