• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of "Multiple Personalities" as a Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor is being a robot a superpower... inorganic physiology will have to be taken out once robots become a part of society, isn’t it?
Being a robot naturally gives you resistance to mindhax, poison, and other things. There are exceptions but they are the exception, not the rule.

I can agree with "Multiple Personality Physiology" though idk if it's the right wording

I'd be down wth changing it to "Multiple Personality Physiology" and only giving it to more supernatural applications of the ability.
It's not a physiological thing tho.
If anything, a soul inhabiting your body (for example) is you being subject to Possession.

However Symbiosis could be a thing.

It's not a physiological thing tho.
If anything, a soul inhabiting your body (for example) is you being subject to Possession.

However Symbiosis could be a thing.
I think he meant to describe aspects and applications of this "" ability ""

In fact, currently multiple personalities isn't used only for characters who naturally have more than one personality, but even others who have been possessed, merged, have inherited, obtained a soul, spirit, mind, something etc. for many different reasons.
We even have two different categories for such characters, Split Personalities and Multiple Personalities Users.
Even if they have common aspects, the results and nature are different.
I proposed Symbiosis because it would cover the concept of "More than one person in a single body", encompassing physical, spiritual and mental examples, without addressing the power with the name of a real condition.

Yeah, Symbiosis seems definitely better than the name of an actual condition.
It also makes things waaay more logical imo.

Removing both personalities stuff, and having a Symbiosis page would be the best. It's basically removing two pseudo-"ability" to get a real one, which actually cover a common power in fiction.

It's not perfect, I know, but it can be a solution to keep what's overall a notable thing without giving the name of a real condition.
It would include even physical cases, more akin to the real symbiosis, such as Marvel symbiotes or other characters that have a very strong bond, often sharing the same body or being attached to each other.
It encompassing is spiritual and mental relationship is just a fantasy application.
Any other name that can be used to address this "state" is welcomed, I just couldn't find a better one.

What about changing it to "Multiple Minds"?

Though Symbiosis isn't bad either.

Wouldn't it be less broad tho? Like current page includes body change and all.

Change it to "Multiple Selves, and then divide it into types, Type 1 - Multiple Minds, Type 2 - Multiple Souls, Type 3 - Multiple Organism within One Body, etc.
I at least support the idea of simply rewriting it into something better instead of removing it entirely, since having multiple consciousness is very common throughout fiction as seen with the wiki alone.

Multiple Selves is a pretty good suggestion. Can account for multiple minds/personalities, souls, bodies, etc.

Change it to "Multiple Selves, and then divide it into types, Type 1 - Multiple Minds, Type 2 - Multiple Souls, Type 3 - Multiple Organism within One Body, etc.
I at least support the idea of simply rewriting it into something better instead of removing it entirely, since having multiple consciousness is very common throughout fiction as seen with the wiki alone.
"Shared Body" is also another suggestion if we want to go the route of disconnecting from the condition even further.

I agree with this proposal though either way, naming convention doesn't matter much to me, I'm fine with anything.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the main concern here is that Multiple Personality (as in, Multiple Personality Disorder) is not a superpower and also a tricky subject. And that putting it as an ability means stuff like Autism, PTSD or other similar psychological conditions can be made as abilities as well.

Which I think is a wrong way to look at it. Multiple Personality (in our page's context) is not the same (or at least should not be) as Multiple Personality Disorder. Stuff like Deku and the Vestiges (wherein consciousness of past users are contained in his Quirk), Rimuru and his waifu (wherein a separate personality is engraved within his soul which develops into something akin to a separate soul by itself), and other similar things doesn't really fall under the definitions of MPD/DID.

Rather, MPD/DID could be counted as an example or a type under Multiple Personalities or Selves amongst other things like possession or whatever, as I think we do have characters who seem to be legitimately have that condition (like Shigeo Kageyama, I think).

"Shared Body" is also another suggestion if we want to go the route of disconnecting from the condition even further.
Whatever that would fit the physiology in general should be fine. Shared Body does kinda work as well, I think.

Alien X disagrees, multiple personalities can be useful in his case.

Yeah I guess the removal or changing it to something else is fine.

I think Multiple Selves/Minds or Shared Body can work if we want to keep it on the incorporeal plane (minds, personalities, souls etc.), Symbiosis is more fitting if we want to include relationships between physical beings, such as Symbiotes, parasytes or other cases of characters living/working attached to each other.

Symbiosis really only refers to biological interaction between to organisms which isn't the case here, I think Supernatural Symbiosis would be better wording as it encompasses more than just Biological Symbiosis.

Symbiosis really only refers to biological interaction between to organisms which isn't the case here, I think Supernatural Symbiosis would be better wording as it encompasses more than just Biological Symbiosis.
It can be more than biological per its second meaning, but can be good too.

I prefer Multiple Minds, Multiple Selves over Symbiosis especially since Symbiosis can be easily misunderstood, or make another page with dedicated types

Yeah, "Multiple Selves" sounds general enough to encompass both the biological and supernatural types, which can just be elaborated on in the page itself.

Multiple Selves:
  • Multiple Minds (Type 1) - Generally describes those who has one or more personas or personalities co-inhabiting their mind (Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin, Deadpool)
  • Multiple Souls (Type 2) - Generally describes those who have one or more spirits or soul co-inhabiting their body. Those who are possessed by one or multiple spiritual beings would fall under this category (Legion from the Bible, etc.)
  • Multiple Organisms (Type 3) - Generally describes those who have one or more organisms co-inhabiting their body (Edward Brock & Venom, Shinichi Izumi and Migi from Parasyte)
Not strictly something like this, but since Immortality has gotten so many types, I think the idea of multiple selves should get its own page too

Multiple Selves:
  • Multiple Minds (Type 1) - Generally describes those who has one or more personas or personalities co-inhabiting their mind (Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin, Deadpool)
  • Multiple Souls (Type 2) - Generally describes those who have one or more spirits or soul co-inhabiting their body. Those who are possessed by one or multiple spiritual beings would fall under this category (Legion from the Bible, etc.)
  • Multiple Organisms (Type 3) - Generally describes those who have one or more organisms co-inhabiting their body (Edward Brock & Venom, Shinichi Izumi and Migi from Parasyte)
Not strictly something like this, but since Immortality has gotten so many types, I think the idea of multiple selves should get its own page too
I actually like that idea, maybe can be a bit rewrited, but at least the concept is good.

Multiple Selves:
Remember when I said that:
[...] And please... We should stop that dividing into types that kind of abilities. [...]
I was wrong, since this point is very well explained and detailed.

For me, Dissociative Selves doesn't imply the certainty of more than one but it leaves up to the implications the being in question does. But specifying the Multiple Selves as a secondary effect or another interpretation for the same.

Nobody said Symbiosis meant this.

The power is wrong because it's a disorder and not even a quarter of its users actually have said disorder.
Symbiosis qualify for a lot of the characters under "multiple personnalities", and even more.
Why would you name it symbiosis if that's not what it means?

Symbiosis is like Maka and Soul from Soul Eater, Tsuna and Natsu from KHR, or Sasuke and Naruto with Susanoo and Kyuubi avatar combined (To a lesser degree).

It really has nothing to do with having multiple souls or minds in one body or space.

I think “Amalgam Physiology” would be good.

Since it would include things that aren’t just “the self” in the name like different souls.

I think “Amalgam Physiology” would be good.

Since it would include things that aren’t just “the self” in the name like different souls.
For me the physiology part isn't necessary since it would be an inherent aspect and, for me, isn't an ability but a characteristic the character could have. A trauma, a possession or the case you mention. Dissociative Personality could be used while we list the other ways it could be called.

Changing Multiple Personalities to something else entirely (something to include souls, etc.) would be something I can accept.

Just a heads up, Multi-personalities is not a physiology, but a psychology. Though psychologies are in the same boat is physiologies yes that it's not a superpower but something that's potentially useful in some battles. Though, I don't mind renaming it in a way where it actually does sound more like a strength rather than a generic disorder.

Multiple Selves:
Honestly I agree with this.

Has this concluded and the page been updated yet?
As odd as it may seem this power being updated is a bit relevant for a few things.

Majority agreed with Multiple Selves which is broken down to different types. But I guess none is certain that what was proposed is suited or completed to be ready to replace the Multiple Personality page.

Multiple Selves:
Got a question, having Different Minds, AND souls but they don't posses you. still counts? asking because of a Certain character.

Got a question, having Different Minds, AND souls but they don't posses you. still counts? asking because of a Certain character.
I guess this is type 1.
Or in extra case we can make it both type 1 and 2 I guess.
Although I think we should prepare different characters examples of different types.

For type 1 I can nominate Toko Fukawa since she's the one of blatant example of this ability type.

It should count as long as you're sharing the same body I believe. So Type 1 and Type 2

Keep in mind this isn't complete or well thought-out because you have to consider those like Doc from RvB, who is possessed by an AI and later develops a split personality despite the AI already being long gone, or those like Malus, who has a demon or something in his body but still has full control, only occasionally giving the reins or V from Cyberpunk who has Keanu Reeves in their head, and gives them control every now and then, and talks to them, which is also an AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back