• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Song of Ice and Fire: Massive Speed Upgrade + Abilities additions and removal

On their Verse-specific Powers and Abilities page, skinchangers have Multilocation and Hive Mind:
Multilocation (Type 1) and Hive Mind (Type 2): Skinchangers' consciousness can be, in a particular case, in all living beings, animals and plants, clouds and snow in a entire forest

It refers to this:
The white world turned and fell away. For a moment it was as if he were inside the weirwood, gazing out through carved red eyes as a dying man twitched feebly on the ground and a madwoman danced blind and bloody underneath the moon, weeping red tears and ripping at her clothes. Then both were gone and he was rising, melting, his spirit borne on some cold wind. He was in the snow and in the clouds, he was a sparrow, a squirrel, an oak. A horned owl flew silently between his trees, hunting a hare; Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground, earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well. I am the wood, and everything that's in it, he thought, exulting. A hundred ravens took to the air, cawing as they felt him pass. A great elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back. A sleeping direwolf raised his head to snarl at empty air. Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own, for One Eye, Sly, and Stalker, for his pack. His wolves would save him, he told himself.

A Dance with Dragons - Prologue​

I misinterpreted this feat, it's not multilocation, it's a speed feat. Varamy's spirit traveled throughout the haunted forest to find the wolf he wanted to possess (One Eye).
So multilocation and hive mind should be removed and speed should be given for the spirits of skinchangers (Children of the Forest, Bloodraven, Varamyr and the Stark childrens.)

But I don't know how fast is this feat. For the size of the haunted forest, it can perhaps be measured from the official map of Beyond the Wall, as was done for this calculation.
For the time it took for Varamyr's spirit to accomplish this feat, we know that it was night when he entered One-Eye's body:

The white world turned and fell away. For a moment it was as if he were inside the weirwood, gazing out through carved red eyes as a dying man twitched feebly on the ground and a madwoman danced blind and bloody underneath the moon, weeping red tears and ripping at her clothes. Then both were gone and he was rising, melting, his spirit borne on some cold wind. He was in the snow and in the clouds, he was a sparrow, a squirrel, an oak. A horned owl flew silently between his trees, hunting a hare; Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground, earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well. I am the wood, and everything that's in it, he thought, exulting. A hundred ravens took to the air, cawing as they felt him pass. A great elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back. A sleeping direwolf raised his head to snarl at empty air. Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own, for One Eye, Sly, and Stalker, for his pack. His wolves would save him, he told himself.
That was his last thought as a man.
True death came suddenly; he felt a shock of cold, as if he had been plunged into the icy waters of a frozen lake. Then he found himself rushing over moonlit snows with his packmates close behind him. Half the world was dark. One Eye, he knew. He bayed, and Sly and Stalker gave echo.

And when his spirit left his body, it was also night:
When Varamyr pushed at it, the snow crumbled and gave way, still soft and wet. Outside, the night was white as death; pale thin clouds danced attendance on a silver moon, while a thousand stars watched coldly. He could see the humped shapes of other huts buried beneath drifts of snow, and beyond them the pale shadow of a weirwood armored in ice. To the south and west the hills were a vast white wilderness where nothing moved except the blowing snow. "Thistle," Varamyr called feebly, wondering how far she could have gone. "Thistle. Woman. Where are you?"

We don't have anything specific, but we know from this that Varamyr's spirit crossed the entire forest in the same night.
Keep in mind that Varamyr didn't just cross the forest, he entered in all the living beings that lived there (animals, plants and even animals that live underground) and even in the snow and the clouds. This is potentially a huge speed feat

Skinchangers should therefore have Astral Projection because Varamyr's feat proves that skinchangers possess others by projecting/separate their spirits from their bodies.

Greenseers should have Type 2 Self-Sustenance:
One day I will be like him. The thought filled Bran with dread. Bad enough that he was broken, with his useless legs. Was he doomed to lose the rest too, to spend all of his years with a weirwood growing in him and through him? Lord Brynden drew his life from the tree, Leaf told them. He did not eat, he did not drink. He slept, he dreamed, he watched. I was going to be a knight, Bran remembered. I used to run and climb and fight. It seemed a thousand years ago.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III​

Last edited:
I completely forgot Arya's feat where she can enter Nymeria's body which is in another continent (so Arya's spirit can travel the Braavos-Riverlands distance in a short amount of time).

Last edited:
No comment on the speed feat since it hasn’t been calced yet, but I’m not seeing why the Self-Sustenence would apply to anyone other than Bloodraven?

That doesn’t really answer my question. The statement is made about Bloodraven specifically, why would it apply to every single greenseer?
Because Brynden has Self-Sustenance thanks to the weirwood:
Lord Brynden drew his life from the tree, Leaf told them. He did not eat, he did not drink.

All greenseers live with a weirwood to extend their lifespan.

Skinchangers' spirits should also have NPI, as those of Varamyr and Haggon struggled with each other for the possession of a wolf:

Abomination. That had always been Haggon's favorite word. Abomination, abomination, abomination. To eat of human meat was abomination, to mate as wolf with wolf was abomination, and to seize the body of another man was the worst abomination of all. Haggon was weak, afraid of his own power. He died weeping and alone when I ripped his second life from him. Varamyr had devoured his heart himself. He taught me much and more, and the last thing I learned from him was the taste of human flesh.

None of them had been as strong as Varamyr Sixskins, though, not even Haggon, tall and grim with his hands as hard as stone. The hunter died weeping after Varamyr took Greyskin from him, driving him out to claim the beast for his own. No second life for you, old man. Varamyr Threeskins, he'd called himself back then. Greyskin made four, though the old wolf was frail and almost toothless and soon followed Haggon into death.

The skinchangers' abilities should be split in two, I think.

A section that concerns the abilities of skinchangers and a section that concerns the abilities of their spirits.

All greenseers live with a weirwood to extend their lifespan.
Can you provide a statement that proves all greenseers can do that?
Skinchangers' spirits should also have NPI, as those of Varamyr and Haggon struggled with each other for the possession of a wolf:
Not seeing how this would be NPI, nothing there implies their spirits physically struggled with each other.

Can you provide a statement that proves all greenseers can do that?

"I thought the greenseers were the wizards of the children," Bran said. "The singers, I mean."
"In a sense. Those you call the children of the forest have eyes as golden as the sun, but once in a great while one is born amongst them with eyes as red as blood, or green as the moss on a tree in the heart of the forest. By these signs do the gods mark those they have chosen to receive the gift. The chosen ones are not robust, and their quick years upon the earth are few, for every song must have its balance. But once inside the wood they linger long indeed. A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. Greenseers."

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III​

Back