• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of "Multiple Personalities" as a Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udlmaster

They/Them
I feel it should go without noting that something as potentially volatile as Human psychology wouldn't really be given a Page but here we are with

"Multiple Personalities" but make it a Superpower.

Not only is the broad differences between the various depictions of MPD vary so wildly that the creation of a Page about it is pointless, but that these are features/characteristics, not a power for Characters. Especially when it doesn't relate to anything that could actually be called a power.

In short, it's redundant and leads to bad precedents like the creation of other examples of Human Psychology pages like ADHD, Schizophrenia or Autism and therefore should be removed.

Yeah I agree, it can lead to supernatural abilities but so can autism or heterochromia and we don't have pages for those

So what do we call the ability of characters that are multiple people in one body, and actively use that to negate abilities from other characters or do things that the other people can’t do

I feel like it should stay, as in fiction it's pretty common to have characters who can employ this thing for various purposes, affecting their powers, bodies or more.
Even just for those characters who possess multiple "souls" in a single body that interact with each other, either because they merged or something else.
It is a real illness (I think it's the right word) but imo, I think it's enough common and related to supernatural stuff to deserve a page.

Disagee, there are characters that fit these via having multiple entities within them such as for example Ichigo. When his hollow takes over he’s an entirely different person.

Yeah I agree, it can lead to supernatural abilities but so can autism or heterochromia and we don't have pages for those
In itself, it isn't an ability. It's often tied to one, but that's its own ability

I don't think we should get rid of this ability. Mostly because as mindhax you should reword the ability itself and divide it into types. And please... We should stop that dividing into types that kind of abilities. Also, that doesn't fit the Social Influencing at any point.

EDIT: couldn't you ask to reword the Chaos Manipulation? The way is described is very basic and is almost outdated as the Powerlisting Wikia

I obviously agree with this. Not only is this not even a real power by itself, it's literally the equivalent of making a page for autism because it can grant powers to fictional characters (Hajun comes to mind).

After a short discussion on Discord with you and then later someone else, I find myself agreeing with removing Multiple Personalities. But I will mention this first.

Page about it is pointless, but that these are features/characteristics, not a power for Characters.
Characteristics as pages aren't exactly new and aren't controversial in anyway, see pages like Inorganic Physiology, Cyborgization, Natural Weaponry, and even SPC itself.

But the problem is that with Multiple Personalities applications of it can be listed through other means and aren't a direct power in of itself, but a mental condition. Like mentioned already something that affects the mind can be tapped out of through this but is essentially just a Resistance to Mind Control, it isn't like this is something we haven't done before, as this is what's currently done in Batman's case, having a backup mind allows this.

A way we could treat The Horde is already kind of done, his one personality The Beast can activate traits like Body Control and increase his statistics through this fashion but others cannot, how the personalities function and where they differ is already accounted for in the Intelligence section.
affecting their powers, bodies or more.
Even just for those characters who possess multiple "souls" in a single body that interact with each other, either because they merged or something else.
If they affect powers, either how they are received by the individual or what they are capable of, what stops this from being listed as separate keys or resistances?

Having multiple minds or souls that interact with each other and coordinate could be described within the intelligence section, it doesn't have to be a power for this.
I don't think we should get rid of this ability. Mostly because as mindhax you should reword the ability itself and divide it into types. And please... We should stop that dividing into types that kind of abilities. Also, that doesn't fit the Social Influencing at any point.
If it's another mind or personality tries to override another it can just be listed as Self-Mind Manipulation with an explanation, it doesn't have to be complicated enough to introduce another type of anything over.

Last edited:
I think this should stay; it's enough to be considered a physiology of some sort; although more like a psychology. And if Genius Intelligence has a page, then that's no reason for this to go either. But this can help characters resist mind reading; example being how Pegasus couldn't read Yugi/Atem's mind due to this power. Or how Shigeru Murota couldn't read Sensui's mind because he changes his 7 personalities. And unlike the IRL mental disorder, most fictional characters with multiple personalities are able to shift through them at will, and they actually work together simultaneously. Which still can make them resist basic levels of mind manipulation unless someone mind hacks all personalities simultaneously.

Eh forgot to say, but I disagree too for DDM's reasons. Multiple Personalities grants abilities to a body.

Not always.

I would suggest removing “Multiple Personalities” as an ability itself, but make some kind of ability for people that have multiple personalities that get some kind of ability from it. Having multiple personalities by itself doesn’t warrant anything.

Not always.

I would suggest removing “Multiple Personalities” as an ability itself, but make some kind of ability for people that have multiple personalities that get some kind of ability from it. Having multiple personalities by itself doesn’t warrant anything.
So, in other words, rewrite multiple personalities.

Ionliosite already said everything I think.

It's a disorder, not an ability.

Then they have an ability that's tied to their condition, but the condition itself isn't an ability.

Nor is being a robot a superpower... inorganic physiology will have to be taken out once robots become a part of society, isn’t it?
We'll all be dead by then dude
Anyways I'mma still support this because if we try make an autism page then it will get insta nuked

I think a rewording and/or renaming might be a solution.
In some cases multiple personalities aren't just born from the "user" itself, they are souls, spirits or else that entered or have been inherited by the body and such.
I remember some time ago proposing something like Symbiosis as a power, to define those characters who are more than one entity fused together or in a very strict relation with each other.
It could be split between physical symbiosis, possibly even parasitical, and spiritual, including the aforementioned cases.

I feel like it should stay, as in fiction it's pretty common to have characters who can employ this thing for various purposes, affecting their powers, bodies or more.
It is a real illness (I think it's the right word) but imo, I think it's enough common and related to supernatural stuff to deserve a page.
Characters having it doesn't mean it deserves a page.

It's like saying:

"High Melanin Skin:

Resistance to Heat Manipulation"

"Well, it's fairly common to people in fiction to have this ability because lots of people have lots of melanin in their skin."

It's not an argument, and all the examples given "But what if they do have Multiple Minds?", "But what if they have Multiple souls in one body?" Etc.

These come under other abilities and are covered better with those abilities without the use of having a vague page which actually doesn't cover some of the points people are talking about.

I think this should stay; it's enough to be considered a physiology of some sort; although more like a psychology. And if Genius Intelligence has a page, then that's no reason for this to go either.
But that's not the same thing, that's a false Equivalence, the Genius Page is defining a category for the Intelligence section, it's not a Power, it's an Intelligence Category.

This isn't a reason to keep an arbitrary power like MPD.

I think a rewording and/or renaming might be a solution.
In some cases multiple personalities aren't just born from the "user" itself, they are souls, spirits or else that entered or have been inherited by the body and such.
I remember some time ago proposing something like Symbiosis as a power, to define those characters who are more than one entity fused together or in a very strict relation with each other.
It could be split between physical symbiosis, possibly even parasitical, and spiritual, including the aforementioned cases.
I'd be down wth changing it to "Multiple Personality Physiology" and only giving it to more supernatural applications of the ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back