• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Red Read Redemption: A strange revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the rest of the verse is being revised I'll cover revising the Strange Man's profile since nobody scales to him. This also doesn't change his rating of unknown as he doesn't fight, rather he's a force of nature.

Powers and abilities

For starters The Strange Man should get some type of Abstract Existence as the profile itself notes that he's most likely Death.

The first piece of evidence is that he's stated to appear to John as an "accountant." of the sorts, most likely referring to him "collecting" the souls of those who are in death's grasp. His knowledge also seems to be directly tied to being Death as he's fully aware of all the death's that have happened in the game, ones that even John doesn't seem to remember in great detail. (31 secs.)
He's stated to be other worldly / not of the mortal plane, even those who can literally see the future are unable gather any knowledge on the Strange Man. Furthermore John is unable to interact with The Strange Man as bullets had no effect on him. Ergo I believe he should receive a "likely" rating for Type 1 Abstract Existence (Is heavily implied to be Death itself.) Furthermore upon John insulting him with "Damn you!" The Strange Man replies with "yes many have." which furthers him being a godly figure.

As for other abilities there's Omnipresence as his influence doesn't only extend to The Red Dead Universe, he's been directly referred in the GTA universe which is a separate Universe from Red Dead. His influence is so great that he even places fear into the heart of Madam Nezar, another powerful entity and Furthermore he's also in the game Bully, which is also set in it's own universe. He's also seen appearing and disappearing behind Arthur / John instantly.

Type 4 Acausality, Causality and Death Manipulation. The Strange Man is unable to be foreseen by the precognition of the Blind Man and stated to be "not of this world." Whenever John attempted to fire at The Strange Man, he exchanged the 3 bullets fired by John for 3 death's, that of John, Abigail and Uncle with the 4th bullet being jammed signifying Jack would be spared.

Nigh Omniscience, The Strange Man has seemingly unending knowledge of the universe being able to recall the tiniest of details that others have forgotten while not even being there himself. Even the exact location and time when people will die such as The Strange Man saying "Yes this will make a fine place." In the location where John meets his end. The Preacher from Rdr2 also implies that The Strange Man is "always watching" and furthermore The Strange Man is fully aware that he's in a game.

Law manipulation, Curse Manipulation & Disease Manipulation. The Strange Man was responsible for all the sicknesses in the town, with him making a deal with the only survivor who remained immune by forming a contract with The Strange Man stating he'd be immune but at the cost of various generations being plagued with illness. This video does a perfect job at explaining all the connections.

Powers and abilities

For starters The Strange Man should get some type of Abstract Existence as the profile itself notes that he's most likely Death.

The first piece of evidence is that he's stated to appear to John as an "accountant." of the sorts, most likely referring to him "collecting" the souls of those who are in death's grasp. His knowledge also seems to be directly tied to being Death as he's fully aware of all the death's that have happened in the game, ones that even John doesn't seem to remember in great detail. (31 secs.)
He's stated to be other worldly / not of the mortal plane, even those who can literally see the future are unable gather any knowledge on the Strange Man. Furthermore John is unable to interact with The Strange Man as bullets had no effect on him. Ergo I believe he should receive a "likely" rating for Type 1 Abstract Existence (Is heavily implied to be Death itself.) Furthermore upon John insulting him with "Damn you!" The Strange Man replies with "yes many have." which furthers him being a godly figure.
Maybe a possibly for the abstract stuff since we don't know exactly what he is?
Wasn't that the argument used to prove they're canon to each other? I don't know if we can have him appearing in both but not have them canon to each other. Maybe if he can hop into different universes in the same multiverse.
That does sound accurate, yes.
Nigh Omniscience, The Strange Man has seemingly unending knowledge of the universe being able to recall the tiniest of details that others have forgotten while not even being there himself. Even the exact location and time when people will die such as The Strange Man saying "Yes this will make a fine place." In the location where John meets his end. The Preacher from Rdr2 also implies that The Strange Man is "always watching" and furthermore The Strange Man is fully aware that he's in a game.
I guess this is fine.
This looks solid.

Maybe a possibly for the abstract stuff since we don't know exactly what he is?
That's the idea.
Wasn't that the argument used to prove they're canon to each other? I don't know if we can have him appearing in both but not have them canon to each other. Maybe if he can hop into different universes in the same multiverse
Nah, they're all within the same multiverse but the plots as separate. The Strange Man on the other hand just seems to embody death across all the verses in Rockstar.

That's the idea.
Makes sense.
Nah, they're all within the same multiverse but the plots as separate. The Strange Man on the other hand just seems to embody death across all the verses in Rockstar.
Fair enough. Drakengard and Nier are literally the same universe, with Nier being a direct sequel to Drakengard 1's alternate ending, and they still have separate pages, so there's definitely precedent for treating related verses as separate verse pages if the two operate independently, which these three verses do, more than Nier and Drakengard, actually.

Type 2 Abstract Existence is more accurate

Alright then this can be closed and I'll apply it. Grace started at the time of the creation of the thread so it should be fine to apply.

I don't like the Abstract and GTA stuff but I think from "Resistance to Precognition" it looks good (though maybe Law Manipulation feels generous)

@Zenkaibattery1 This revision should not have been applied yet, not even 24 hours have passed since the thread's creation.
For content revision suggestions, generally, a standard grace period of 48 hours should be allowed for the reviewing staff members to evaluate and approve them. However, in the case of extremely blatant, self-evident revisions, a grace period of 24 hours is acceptable. Until this grace period has elapsed, since the time of the thread's creation, the revision should not be applied to the profiles.
Still, I think this isn't an "extremely blatant, self-evident revision", so it shouldn't be applied for another ~26 hours.

I've undone the changes.

For content revision suggestions, generally, a standard grace period of 48 hours should be allowed for the reviewing staff members to evaluate and approve them. However, in the case of extremely blatant, self-evident revisions, a grace period of 24 hours is acceptable. Until this grace period has elapsed, since the time of the thread's creation, the revision should not be applied to the profiles.

That's explicitly what I said.

This thread was created ~22 hours ago.

As I said, I think this is more of a 48 hour thing.

It involves some pretty complex abilities (AE and acausality), and it involves quite a few of them.

It's not, like, suggesting to add Danmaku off of one scan of a character firing 10,000 bullets.

EDIT: Yeah, the examples used when suggesting that 24h time were things like "Giving a zombie Type 7 immortality" and "Giving a character with a huge stated height Large Size", I think this falls outside the scope of that.

As I said, I think this is more of a 48 hour thing.

It involves some pretty complex abilities (AE and acausality), and it involves quite a few of them.
From what I recall and from what I've been told unpopular verses only need 24 hours. I don't believe it's stated anywhere that abilities, no matter the complexity are stated to have a grace period of 48 hours. If I'm incorrect on this part feel free to post the reference but alas as I said I'm going by what was stated in the grace section and from what other staff have told me.

Part I edited into my last post you might have missed.
EDIT: Yeah, the examples used when suggesting that 24h time were things like "Giving a zombie Type 7 immortality" and "Giving a character with a huge stated height Large Size", I think this falls outside the scope of that.
And yeah, the editing rule I'm quoting isn't a verse size thing, it's a revision complexity thing
I think 24h for small verses may have been the old rule. I think it got moved to 48h for all, then just a few days ago updated to 24h if the revision's self-evident.

Part I edited into my last post you might have missed.

And yeah, the editing rule I'm quoting isn't a verse size thing, it's a revision complexity thing

I think 24h for small verses may have been the old rule. I think it got moved to 48h for all, then just a few days ago updated to 24h if the revision's self-evident.
Yeah that's fair enough then. Anyway in the meantime ya got any opinions here?

From what I recall and from what I've been told unpopular verses only need 24 hours. I don't believe it's stated anywhere that abilities, no matter the complexity are stated to have a grace period of 48 hours. If I'm incorrect on this part feel free to post the reference but alas as I said I'm going by what was stated in the grace section and from what other staff have told me.
Instances of minor revisions may include changes to one or two characters, if it is just the addition of simple abilities that do not fall into the categories of acausality (except type 1), concept manipulation, abstract existence, plot manipulation, information manipulation, causality manipulation, nonexistent physiology, law manipulation etc. or otherwise could be considered particularly controversial or noteworthy.
From the discussion rules

Haxlords? In MY silly sandbox open-world crime game?? It's more likely than you think.
Appears
tells you how you'll die but not how to avoid it
Leaves without elaborating
Rdr-strange-man-1-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back