• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibly some bad DC Comics news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the movies have been increasing the sales of the comic books they're based on from what I've seen, the exact opposite.

Makes this even weirder.

Spinoirr said:
That's marvel not DC
What he said and considering how poorly written many DC films have been made, its no wonder people give less attention to the comics they were (supposedly) based off of.

It isn't weird at all for those who have been paying attention to how the creators behave towards most of the audience via social media, along with the overall quality and coherence of the stories, and the slanted intolerant political propaganda within them.

Again, manga is extremely popular worldwide, whereas western superhero comicbooks are not. This is not a coincidence.

Again, manga is extremely popular worldwide, whereas western superhero comicbooks are not. This is not a coincidence.

That includes western superhero cinema as their popularity is through the roof.

ÆONS said:
Isn't the most obvious answer to people not reading comics anymore being that less and less people wanna read and instead wanna go to movie theaters to see what happens on the big screens?
Yes, same goes for books. Its sad but true, the CGI fest blockbuster format has entranced everyone

I think that the fact that western superhero comicbooks have very poor sales despite the popularity of the movies just underlines my points.

I don't think you get my point and its borderline common sense, would you rather watch an 1 and 1/2 action pack superhero comic movie rather than read the comics or books its based off of? And i don't think that manga/anime is that mainstream here in the west.

The movies are not somehow removing sales from the comicbooks, they bring attention to them. The problem is that once people start to check them out they apparently generally do not like them, or at best order some reprint collections of older, easier to understand and higher-quality, stories.

As for manga, if somebody lists a few URLs to the most prominent scanslation sites, I can probably check their visitor statistics via SimilarWeb.

ÆONS said:
I don't think you get my point and its borderline common sense, would you rather watch an 1 and 1/2 action pack superhero comic movie rather than read the comics or books its based off of? And i don't think that manga/anime is that mainstream here in the west.
What are you talking about? I get your point, people would rather watch 1/2 hours of fun flashy stuff than read a book or comic. But don't project that on to everyone, I'd take books like All-Star Superman over Snyder's movies anyday. And you must be not up to date because anime and manga are trending in the west big time. Almost everyone's heard of Naruto or DBZ at least. It's not some nerdy thing that you'd get bullied for like back in the early 2000s, it's pop culture basically now.

Antvasima said:
The movies are not somehow removing sales from the comicbooks, they bring attention to them. The problem is that once people start to check them out they apparently generally do not like them, or at best order some reprint collections of older, easier to understand and higher-quality, stories.
Well yeah, they do bring attention to them but the people don't actually read them. The reason I believe this is the case is because people feel satisfied with what they were given from the movies. They feel that they already know how the story and characters work and function in the comics, even though such knowledge is false especially for DC.

UsernameMan12 said:
ÆONS said:
What are you talking about? I get your point, people would rather watch 1/2 hours of fun flashy stuff than read a book or comic. But don't project that on to everyone, I'd take books like All-Star Superman over Snyder's movies anyday. And you must be not up to date because anime and manga are trending in the west big time. Almost everyone's heard of Naruto or DBZ at least. It's not some nerdy thing that you'd get bullied for like back in the early 2000s, it's pop culture basically now.
Well of course I acknowledge that not everyone follows what I said in the first part, and yes for the second part I was wrong, you are right. Though I still don't think the rise of manga/anime caused the decline of western comic book sales.

Getting into comics is a pain. With manga, you go to the first issue and read from there. With DC, for example, even if you start after a retcon like Flashpoint, you'll soon be forced to read other titles to keep up with all the verse wide shenanigans.

InfiniteSped said:
Getting into comics is a pain. With manga, you go to the first issue and read from there. With DC, for example, even if you start after a retcon like Flashpoint, you'll soon be forced to read other titles to keep up with all the verse wide shenanigans.
lmao, imagine reading comics instead of making your own universe with said characters.

I just checked the statistics for Kiss Manga, which is one of the larger English sites. It has about 46 million visits and 504 million page views in a month. If we multiply that with 10 or so we probably get an approximation of the total visits to English manga sites, and in addition to that there are extremely popular sites in several other prominent languages.

InfiniteSped said:
That's a good point.

While I've never been into DC Comics, I can see how bad it must be for such an important western comic book company, that is also (or at least, has been) a big part of American and global "geek culture", that has given birth to many great stories and characters.

This just makes me imagine how bad to me and to many others in my country if they ever decided to cancel important Italian comic book series, like the weekly Italian Mickey Mouse Comic Books (the so-called "Topolino"s) and the monthly Tex Willer series.

Overall, it's really sad to see this happening. I hope they manage to stay around in some way.

Can't the same be said for long running media as well? I mean, when it comes to long running anime such as Dragonball, One Piece, or Naruto, I'm pretty sure it would be more or less a similar situation if one jumps into to them in the middle of their run. I mean, be honest, how many people outside of Japan knows who the Red Ribbon Army was before the Android Saga?

Dino Ranger Black said:
Wouldn't the same be said for long running media as well? I mean, when it comes to long running anime such as Dragonball, One Piece, or Naruto, I'm pretty sure it would be more or less a similar situation if one jumps into to them in the middle of it. I mean, be honest, did anybody know who the Red Ribbon Army was before the Android Saga?
Before I tried to watch Dragon Ball Z, my cousin insisted me on 'learning about DBZ' while making me watch the original series.

With those, you can just start from issue #1. If ya wanna read about Batman from the start, good luck with that.

They have way too much history, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all spread between multiple solo titles, team titles, cameos, team-ups, etc.

This really is a worse case scenario. I was really getting into the Doomsday Clock series, enjoying Snyder's JLA, and even really liked the new Superman run by Bendis (controversial i know). The idea that DC Comics, which has been around since the early 20th century can disappear is pretty saddening.

Especially since, i hate to say it, it was one of the last bastion for good Superman stories, with the mediocre Snyder movies (in my opinion) no new tv series, the focus on Supergirl in live action, and the uncertain future for him on film/animation... i kinda liked having my traditional Superman stories in comic form. Now that that can be gone... i don't know where else we can go. I feel like DC really ****** up with their cross industry material for a lot of their characters and now that even their comics have a chance of going away... i might be high and dry for good representation of characters like Superman or Martian Mannhunter.

So yeah... this kinda blows.

Before I tried to watch Dragon Ball Z, my cousin insisted me on 'learning about DBZ' while making me watch the original series.

Who makes someone learn about the sequel series before the original?

I think the 1st issue i've ever read was Death of Superman (older one) and it was quite difficult to figure out where I was suppose to go from there. I wasn't even aware he came back to life till several years later and I saw that animated movie lol.

Yeah, comics are really confusing. I don't read One Piece but it's easy to know where the story is at any given moment. But what the hell are Superman and Batman doing on their stories right now? No idea. It's hard to get interested when you really have no idea.

Well, I used to habitually follow the stories for years, but nowadays they are so contrary to what I once enjoyed that I finally cannot even force myself to read them for free, with very few exceptions.

The Wright Way said:
Who makes someone learn about the sequel series before the original?
oof, badly written there, I meant 'learn of DBZ roots', as in, he would force me to watch the original series before I could watch DBZ

The closets "geek" Japnese verses that I can think of doing something similar to Marvel and DC are the Nasuverse with its constant ever-expanding Multiverse, various characters and spin-offs, and Godzilla, which constantly finds new ways of using this characters and monsters, and sometimes building their own storylines.

Those, especially the former, can make things a bit confusing for someone to get into them

Marvel and DC are like a combination of my two previous examples, with a to more material, some actual canon explanations of why there are massive retcons and new stories.

I can sew why getting into a basic manga series is easier for many teenagers

I just hope this is at best a shakeup, and DC gets a good kick in the ass to start producing top tier stories again. If we can at least go back to early Rebirth levels of consistent writing again I feel like we could be doing good.

At worst... well, at least we can hope they'll start making new cartoons and better movies to compete with Marvel. I heard about that canceled Superman Family animated show and I think it could be pretty cool.

Antvasima said:
I really liked the "Justice League Unlimited" and "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" cartoons.
Same.

By the way, did anyone see the 'Rise of the Supermen'? Featuring Superboy, Superglasses, SuperSteel and Cyborg Superman?

Dvorak1902 said:
Yeah, comics are really confusing. I don't read One Piece but it's easy to know where the story is at any given moment. But what the hell are Superman and Batman doing on their stories right now? No idea. It's hard to get interested when you really have no idea.
The current runs of Superman and Batman are meh but it's not that hard. Every new writer makes their own story so it's not like you have to understand a lot, just start with the current run. One Piece also can be daunting as well (I'm caught up but it's gone downhill) for new readers and readers that took a hiatus cause it's almost 1000 chapters and Oda keeps cramming in new fodder characters no one cares about.

I also dont get why you guys are sad DC is closing if you all seem to not be into it. I'm only sad cause there's a lot of more potential for these characters but DC keeps ******* up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back