• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibly some bad DC Comics news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dargoo Faust said:
Seriously, though, Marvel Comics is only holding out because of the bank the MCU gets them. I would have really peferred that they bite the dust, seeing as their response to geniune critique is to keep republishing failed comics.
Or how about neither of the two biggest publishers- who have become ingrained in popular culture and literally saw through several generations- go under?

Plus, as much as ppl love to throw shit at marvel, they still have some pretty good comics. Compared to where they were about 3 years ago there is marked improvement

Legacy actually made Marvel much better IMO.

The Nick Spencer run of Spidey is a good way back to its roots, FF finally got their series back, Daredevil is free off all the Shadowland BS, reducing the obnoxious traits of some of the new characters like the Marvels and X-Men and grounding them more emotionally, and trying out some experimental miniseries like Multiple Men and that new Manga looking thing I can't remember.

TL;DR: How dare you criticize Marvel SCREEEEEECH

So much for the endless storytelling that Grant Morrison said what made comic characters appealing and unique. Now DC is digging their own grave. And it'll be a while before even Superman enters public domain, even then he will fade into limbo and no one would have any incentive to do something with his character. All the writers that did good with him probably will be dead or retired by then too. Tragic stuff.

Dargoo Faust said:
Davidsteel1 said:
Or how about neither of the two biggest publishers- who have become ingrained in popular culture and literally saw through several generations- go under?
After Rebirth, I genuinely had hope for DC, although I personally don't see Marvel pulling it's head out of its own rear barring a massive restructuring of its writing team.

As for Marvel improving/having good runs, a broken clock is still right twice a day, I say. The issues that put it where it is are still there, just less prominent.
Rebirth was actually pretty poor sales wise and why Didio ended it. It's also why they hired Bendis cause they think a big name like him will sell more and also why they focus on their biggest money making IP: Batman cause for some reason it sells more cause of the casual audience who sometimes may buy a comic cause it's Batman and edgy. Good story telling doesnt sell anymore it seems like

I am very busy, and will go to bed in a few hours, so this is just a note to the staff to close this thread and remove some posts if it turns too controversial.

this is significantly more complicated than a broken clock though. The attitude you seem to have taken is one of pessimism, anticipating the very worst, so when there is an instance that that things look better u wait for failure instead of hoping for improvement.

These businesses are decades old and the medium (story telling) they're dealing with is fickle at best, for how much ppl take a dump on current marvel and praise old marvel you'd almost think they never told a bad story, but that obviously isn't true.

Current DC isn't perfect either. We're all here more or less mourning it, ignoring the fact that:

• "Heroes in crisis" just happened a few months ago,
  • the most recent Batman run has easily been one of the more divisive (even though it sells well),
  • "Damage" from the new age of heroes has been boring and most from the new age we're cancelled
  • and that the justice league up until their most recent relaunch wasn't written-off as boring.

NoireReeeeee
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

See folks, this is how you trick a staff member to report him to HR

Zark2099 said:
See folks, this is how you trick a staff member to report him to HR
Fool, I am HR

I'll stop with the jokes, now, though. I'll also remove previous posts of mine that elicited debate.

DC makes good elseworld stories (at least with Superman), I don't understand why they don't try that more, new readers would also not have the burden of familiarizing themselves with the continuity.

Flashbacks to "I'm the Goddamn Batman!"

Yes.

Frank Miller was ages ago. All-Star may be a dumpster fire, but Dark Knight Returns still one of the best Elseworld stories

Well...this sure isn't good...on a bright side if this did happen odds are the people who complain about the justice league ratings would probably slow down.... and we'll still have the movies

O god the DC movies could out live the comics

I think it was a mistake for them to bring back Barry and Hal, or relegate Grayson from Batman status. DC has always done legacy's extremely well, better than Marvel ever has at least. Wally West is one of the best examples of passing down the torch there is, to the point where a lot of people call him the definitive version of the character. Bringing back his mentor just felt like taking a step back. It would have been great to age with these characters in real time, seeing their Universe make real progress rather than being stuck in a time loop.

I know people get invested in these characters and never want to see them go, but as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder

Honestly, there's very well a possibility that Warner Bros. may outsource DC's IPs to other publishers, kinda like how they did with IDW's Dick Tracy, or the Marvel Knights. So there's that.

I might understand it for Wally replacing Barry, but their way of making Hal go by making him go murder-happy wasn't satisfying way for him to pass the torch. As for Dick, yeah I don't see him replacing Bruce Wayne anytime soon

SuperAPM said:
I think it was a mistake for them to bring back Barry and Hal, or relegate Grayson from Batman status. DC has always done legacy's extremely well, better than Marvel ever has at least. Wally West is one of the best examples of passing down the torch there is, to the point where a lot of people call him the definitive version of the character. Bringing back his mentor just felt like taking a step back. It would have been great to age with these characters in real time, seeing their Universe make real progress rather than being stuck in a time loop.
I know people get invested in these characters and never want to see them go, but as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder
Oddly enough I see people complain about Geoff Johns bringing back Hal and on the other hand I also see heavy praise for his GL run.

TacticalNuke002 said:
What is the secret behind the relative better success of manga as compared to the recent state of western comics?
Many older readers like myself stopped reading their stuff because they were disrespecting us quite a bit, and not caring about our opinions. It's been a dying industry since at least the 80s, and Marvel specifically started to take the piss around the early 2000s, with only a few gems coming out of that company since then (many people point at Secret Invasion as the starting point of their current downfall). DC and other comic book companies unfortunately followed Marvel in some respects, and have lost the charm and great story telling they once had in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and most importantly, their identity as comic books or superhero comics.

This is when manga and anime got their huge boost in popularity, and they understood their identities quite well, with many still going strong to this day... Of course since the Silver Age the comic industry was doing quite well until a certain point, so I'd say it's just a matter of time before something new takes over the more popular thing right now. It's what always happens, nothing reigns forever. And actually, manga's popularity/selling charts in current years are very comparable to comics back in the 50s and onwards.

With regards to this, it's hard to believe this might be the end of DC. I mean hell, Superman's been around for what, 80 years or something?

Isn't the most obvious answer to people not reading comics anymore being that less and less people wanna read and instead wanna go to movie theaters to see what happens on the big screens?

ÆONS said:
Isn't the most obvious answer to people not reading comics anymore being that less and less people wanna read and instead wanna go to movie theaters to see what happens on the big screens?
That too

Dark-Carioca said:
TacticalNuke002 said:
What is the secret behind the relative better success of manga as compared to the recent state of western comics?
Many older readers like myself stopped reading their stuff because they were disrespecting us quite a bit, and not caring about our opinions. It's been a dying industry since at least the 80s, and Marvel specifically started to take the piss around the early 2000s, with only a few gems coming out of that company since then (many people point at Secret Invasion as the starting point of their current downfall). DC and other comic book companies unfortunately followed Marvel in some respects, and have lost the charm and great story telling they once had in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and most importantly, their identity as comic books or superhero comics.
This is when manga and anime got their huge boost in popularity, and they understood their identities quite well, with many still going strong to this day... Of course since the Silver Age the comic industry was doing quite well until a certain point, so I'd say it's just a matter of time before something new takes over the more popular thing right now. It's what always happens, nothing reigns forever. And actually, manga's popularity/selling charts in current years are very comparable to comics back in the 50s and onwards.
It was also the time when cinema became more popular than ever with stuff like the MCU and DCEU, the reasoning I stated beforehand also explains this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back