• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Pokemon Speed Downgrade.

Like, which is it? Sometimes it's light, sometimes it's not? Because you can write off the inconsistencies and the 3 energy statements from years ago, but you can't just deny the fact that it DOES act as light and is described as light very frequently. So it's not accurate to say that it ISN'T light. It's more accurate to say that you're being nit picky.

We consider the media that AREN'T the games SUPPLEMENTS. There's a hierarchy here, the manga aren't as high tiered as the games, neither is the anime.

As someone who doesn't care whether Solarbeam is accepted or not, has anyone calced any Solarbeam feats? I may have missed through this mess of a thread.

You mean the one where Cilan says that he's using his moves as lightly as possible, and is earlier shown shooting a single (as opposed to the normal dozens) bullet seed in a lob? That SB was purposefully meant to be puny.

Why would holding back the power suddenly make the attack not move in a straight line anymore?

Because this verse, as much as I love it, is bullshit.

Seriously, how are you gonna substantiate the argument that it's not light. When it is light so many other times in the verse. It's at best inconsistent, sure, but it demonstrates light properties as well, so it NOT being light is the inconsistent thing.

I don't really care if the attack is lightspeed if the evidence is it being more consistently depicted as light in other sources, but this is still an anti feat and the reason for not considering it one doesn't make much sense to me.

Andytrenom said:
You mean the one where Cilan says that he's using his moves as lightly as possible, and is earlier shown shooting a single (as opposed to the normal dozens) bullet seed in a lob? That SB was purposefully meant to be puny.
Why would holding back the power suddenly make the attack not move in a straight line anymore?
Because Pansage clearly has full control over the move?

I'll address this more in my post however.

@Andy

Because anti-feats are really hard to apply.

It's like, every single bit of combat with a legendary seems to mean that non-legendary Pokémon can fight them. Making the legends weaker than they should be going by feats, scaling, and their hierarchy in the verse. Same with literally ANY instance of any character with city level casual striking strength. No shockwaves? Anti-feat. How can someone who is able to nuke planets with their punches not cause massive environmental destruction by waving their arms? Anti-feat.

This train of logic can be used to downplay everything in fiction because of us being hypercritical.

@Amexim You are speaking very generally about anti feats without saying anything meaningful about the particular case that was being discussed here. How is that supposed to prove anything?

Because several strong pieces of evidence in favor of it being light trumps comparably minor, nitpicky contradictions in the case of Solar Beam the same way it is for Anti-Feats as a whole. The only way we're getting rid of that is by finding actual in verse statements and "science" that makes it clear that Solar Beam isn't light, just like we won't downgrade an entire verse for small things like violating the laws of conservation of energy when Solar System busters don't destroy the city block they punch each other in.

Especially in this case, where there's actual superpowers like light manipulation that make bending a light beam less implausible if it's done as a supernatural power, vs a laser gun doing that without supernatural means. A "distorted" or "wavey" light beam is even LESS of an example, and bending blasts MAY be contentious and controversial, but it's not really the most damning thing, unless we want to treat electricity or fire manipulation with the same standards, denying it as such because you can't condense fire into a solid sword or control it or bend it etc.

The standards of light should be about being able to prove the subject is real light if it exhibits the traits associated with light. It having those traits that would make it seem like light ALONG with it having the explosion and bending stuff isn't really a good argument for it not being light to me, unless plasma energy works EXACTLY as light does, making them virtually indistinguishable aside from the explosions and bending.

I'm no physics major or scientist but I am fairly certain that I can't pull up a mirror and reflect fire or lightning back at a dragon or a raiju...

Look, I don't have any types of immortality, so my uh... Insurance won't cover me when trying to do tests.

Anyway, this is so explicit that a couple of inconsistent instances in the Anime aren't going to disprove it being light. Anime and Pokémon in general is inconsistent, that's true, but between games that show it as a beam of light, describe it as light (energy is still transmitted through light so that statement about energy doesn't debunk anything) and the above, there's nothing to debate here.

Signal Beam is considered light, for the reasons I stated and M3X put in his blog, and because in the clip Signal Beam showed no anti feats. Hell, it's very name suggests light.

I mean, some Pokémon got to 5-A via scaling from 5-B+ Pokémon, and High 7-A via scaling to Huge Power, Pure Power and Thick Club Marowak are also around, so FTL via scaling should be fine.

Bobsican said:
I mean, some Pokémon got to 5-A via scaling from 5-B+ Pokémon, and High 7-A via scaling to Huge Power, Pure Power and Thick Club Marowak are also around, so FTL via scaling should be fine.
No Pokemons are 5-A anymore, due to revisions

We never do that for their profiles, they always had "At least Relativistic, likely higher", and now they will problaby be "At least Relativistic+, likely higher"

As I undersatnd the site has a criteria for light beams to be accepted.

What criteria does this attack follow to be considered SOL?

@Slacjow. It's above but I gotchu. Beyond being said to be light from the Pokédex, a scientific source, it's formed from a real source of light, gets fired from a sun nowadays, can be emulated by reflecting light off a reflective source, and activated solar panels before.

@Everyone. Given people have conceded to SB being light and people have accepted my calc, what should I do?

Drite77 said:
We never do that for their profiles, they always had "At least Relativistic, likely higher", and now they will problaby be "At least Relativistic+, likely higher"
I mean, back then some legendaries were Relativistic+ before the new calcs for some reason.

Back