• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Mario Profile Split/Varies Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading most, but not all, the messages of this thread, I must say I prefer option A.
Bear in mind that splitting profiles doesn't mean accounting them as a separate canon, it's mostly for the sake of formatting, as we do for long-running characters.

Still, one could very well argue how some series are still a separate canon, just look at how different the world and the society are in series such as M&L and PM when compared to the much simpler structures we find in classic games, but I'm digressing.

Also, I think we should be somewhat conservative with the number of profiles, since it makes little sense to make a dozen of them when it doesn't seem necessary, and makes the split less arbitrary.
I can see a sort of big profile with several keys encompassing 2D and 3D main games (although a key for every game is just pointless) and others for PM, M&L etc.. with keys for each game.

Lastly, pay attention to what we call tier 5 and 4 feats, as most of them have already been discussed extensively in the past.
I see people already talked about the painting worlds, so I will only mention a couple others.
Bowser turning Yoshi's Island in a book is just a Reality Warping feat, it doesn't have anything to do with raw power, and the whole feat is described in-game as a spell.
The Sammer Kingdom had plenty of issues, mostly because it seems the characters were just expelled from the dying world instead of being erased, and other npcs and buildings survived its end, this feat has also been debated extensively in the past, and I believe those threads can be found easily.

Also, I think we should be somewhat conservative with the number of profiles, since it makes little sense to make a dozen of them when it doesn't seem necessary, and makes the split less arbitrary.
Of course, as I see, the majority of the thread is in favor of splitting the profile into some of the more notable versions of Mario, not all versions of Mario. We can start off slowly by creating only a few noteworthy versions.

Of course, as I see, the majority of the thread is in favor of splitting the profile into some of the more notable versions of Mario, not all versions of Mario. We can start off slowly by creating only a few noteworthy versions.
I'd say the best places to start due to being most different would be:

Super Mario (2D & 3D)
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi

Despite only being one game, SMRPG has quite a lot of its own stuff to be worth getting it's own key early on I'd imagine, then New Super if people don't want to fold it into Super Mario, then Mario Party. That should cover most of the versions and their various assorted feats, and then if there's anything else worth making specific versions for they can be worked from there.

I have no problem piling all then 2D games into Super but the four main 3Ds (64, Sunshine, Galaxy + Galaxy 2, Odyssey) are probably each deserving of respective profiles in their own right

I have no problem piling all then 2D games into Super but the four main 3Ds (64, Sunshine, Galaxy + Galaxy 2, Odyssey) are probably each deserving of respective profiles in their own right
64, Sunshine, and Odyssey could honestly all be rolled together, from memory, nothing really massively conflicts between those three like the Galaxy games. Or at least combine 64 and Sunshine, since those two have direct continuity with one another last I checked.

The gap between Tier 7 & 4 is still kinda huge (1.79912x10^19 J vs 3.139x10^40 J is a lot). Most feats Tier 4 and beyond usually being creation feats from Stars, spells or are just being debated on validity isn't also helpful when most direct feats are heavily contradicting cosmic levels for characters.

64, Sunshine, and Odyssey could honestly all be rolled together, from memory, nothing really massively conflicts between those three like the Galaxy games. Or at least combine 64 and Sunshine, since those two have direct continuity with one another last I checked.
If 64 and Sunshine have direct continuity then I have no problem with fusing the two

That doesn't really matter as Power Stars are > Lumas which are what have Tier 3 in the 1st place.

I'm just trying to say that 3-C ain't an outlier given that there's stuff supporting it (and I'm even pushing for Low 2-C with Sammer Kingdom given why don't try this too, there are cosmic feats and the Varies thing can help us).
Using Power Stars scaling to Lumas as a means of justifying Tier 3 scaling for most of the verse does more to discredit Lumas and Power Stars being 3-C than it does support the cast being that level lol.

The Lumas being 3-C in the first place is something I already find sketchy to begin with given how it's based on statements which ultimately make everything apparently decillions of times stronger than they appear, which is essentially why this thread exists in the first place. The statement in question that Lumas become planets, stars and galaxies implies time passes before they move on to each state, and if not that then it means Lumas themselves have power which varies in the decillions since we actually see Lumas transform into tiny planetoids no larger than a building in the game. We never actually see any Luma transform into anything resembling a real celestial body on demand, having Galaxies or Stars in the backgrounds of these levels doesn't really mean anything when there is no way of knowing if they were there before the Luma transformed or not. Ultimately I find basing a lot of the scaling chain of the verse based on celestial bodies existing in the backgrounds that no character ever interacts with to be incredibly flimsy when every showing in the series is Tier 8 to 7 at best. Even if we do go with a varies Tier for Mario over a profile split (Which I am still in favor of tbh), I don't think he should vary up to Tier 3 because neither Mario nor any character in the verse has an on screen Tier 3 feat and the basis for that Tier is built up entirely on vague conjecture which cannot be proven nor disproven and completely flies in the face of the staggering amount of entries in the series where nothing even remotely approaching that Tier even enters the realm of possibility.

I'm going to remind that Odyssey has references to SMB, Super Mario World, 3D Land, SM64 and Sunshine, although now if those references would be enought for those to be considered relevant to Odyssey is another thing.

I don't think compiling them based on which ones reference other ones is a strong basis for separating the pages since we'll get seven degrees of referencing Mario Kart and be right back at square one, I think it would be smartest to separate them based on series.
For a suggestion:
Super Mario which should cover everything outlined here https://mario.nintendo.com/history/ on Nintendo's official website for what is in the main series
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi
Mario Kart (If that even has enough feats to warrant pages lol)
Mario Party
Yoshi games
Donkey Kong
(Other versions which I missed may have enough feats to warrant pages as well, but these are the main subgroups)

I̵s̵n̵'̵t̵ ̵Y̵o̵s̵h̵i̵'̵s̵ ̵I̵s̵l̵a̵n̵d̵ ̵M̵a̵r̵i̵o̵ ̵W̵o̵r̵l̵d̵ ̵2̵ ̵a̵c̵t̵u̵a̵l̵l̵y̵?̵
I think that was only added to the title in the US

Using Power Stars scaling to Lumas as a means of justifying Tier 3 scaling for most of the verse does more to discredit Lumas and Power Stars being 3-C than it does support the cast being that level lol.
Literally how so?
The Lumas being 3-C in the first place is something I already find sketchy to begin with given how it's based on statements which ultimately make everything apparently decillions of times stronger than they appear, which is essentially why this thread exists in the first place. The statement in question that Lumas become planets, stars and galaxies implies time passes before they move on to each state, and if not that then it means Lumas themselves have power which varies in the decillions since we actually see Lumas transform into tiny planetoids no larger than a building in the game. We never actually see any Luma transform into anything resembling a real celestial body on demand, having Galaxies or Stars in the backgrounds of these levels doesn't really mean anything when there is no way of knowing if they were there before the Luma transformed or not. Ultimately I find basing a lot of the scaling chain of the verse based on celestial bodies existing in the backgrounds that no character ever interacts with to be incredibly flimsy when every showing in the series is Tier 8 to 7 at best.
Is literally shown on screen that they transform in Galaxies, not just a statement.
I don't think he should vary up to Tier 3 because neither Mario nor any character in the verse has an on screen Tier 3 feat and the basis for that Tier is built up entirely on vague conjecture which cannot be proven nor disproven and completely flies in the face of the staggering amount of entries in the series where nothing even remotely approaching that Tier even enters the realm of possibility.
Assuming that Tier 3 would still be rejected despite I have shown a pretty blatant on screen feat, there are quite some 4-B feats from Power Stars without replying on SM64 (including Bowser's that has created a planet eating Black Hole with his power, which should be High 4-C to 4-B), and there's also this that despite being outdated is still 5-A (aka recalc it).

Says "A new galaxy has born"
Then the area is called Fleed Glide GALAXY.

I feel like you're ignoring stuff on purpose now.
Yes, but when we see Mario traveling to the ship with the background not exactly showing any stars and/or galaxies in the background.

At the least, it definitely is a pocket dimension given how this also somewhat tied to scripted game plays. Also this won’t scale to base Mario anyway given he has demonstrated he has been amped from one thing to another.

Out of curiosity though, is there the JP version for it as well?

Yes, but when we see Mario traveling to the ship with the background not exactly showing any stars and/or galaxies in the background.
It was shot in a space full of galaxies, so?
At the least, it definitely is a pocket dimension given how this also somewhat tied to scripted game plays. Also this won’t scale to base Mario anyway given he has demonstrated he has been amped from one thing to another.
Regular Mario > Power Stars > Lumas.

Also headcanon, why would it be a pocket dimension.
Out of curiosity though, is there the JP version for it as well?
I'll search.

It was shot in a space full of galaxies, so?

Regular Mario > Power Stars > Lumas.

Also headcanon, why would it be a pocket dimension.

I'll search.
Because it was made by the Lumas in the first place. A pocket dimension can varied in size so admittedly it is not that head canonish to begin with.

Beside, that is only one feat out of the many feats that isn’t even under Mario powers. Only on the Luma side anyway.

The arguments doesn’t really convinced me on it being full on galaxies ngl.

Also not to mention are we seriously gonna ignore how Mario get power ups throughout the many games he has? He has plentiful of ways to amp himself with the power ups anyway

If people can slow down, I have work today again, but tomorrow's another day off. Kind of taking longer for me to compile my collection than expected, but I do hope to share the facts sooner rather than later.

Because it was made by the Lumas in the first place. A pocket dimension can varied in size so admittedly it is not that head canonish to begin with.
A pocket dimension in outer space between galaxies, while is said that a new galaxy is born... makes fully sense LMAO.
Beside, that is only one feat out of the many feats that isn’t even under Mario powers. Only on the Luma side anyway.
I disagree with this as this is basically left out any amps and PowerUp Mario has in his own arsenal with help or without external help.
Mario 64 says hi.
The arguments doesn’t really convinced me on it being full on galaxies ngl.
Burden is on you on those not being galaxies.

Anyway I can't find the JP rn.

If people can slow down, I have work today again, but tomorrow's another day off. Kind of taking longer for me to compile my collection than expected, but I do hope to share the facts sooner rather than later.
No problem at all. There is no hurry. Please take your time.

Also, has GyroNutz commented in this thread yet, and if he hasn't, why not?

Okay. Thank you for the information. His help would be appreciated.

Last things then I shut.

Also, about Japanese version of the feat, here it is.

Also, the game makes very clear whenever the area is merely unlocked or just created, like here.
Google Translate is horrible I know but it gave “A Galaxy was born!” For this, so it likely does follow at least a similar concept to the English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back