• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

N64 Power Stars are not Galaxy Power Stars (and Galaxy Power Star/luma re-evaluation)

Yes, you read the thread right, they are not the same. Yes in both games they function similarly in powering things and amping people, but if we look at the lore between the two games, we see that they are not truly the same.

In Galaxy it is general knowledge that Power Stars are the mature forms of Lumas, they are the power source of the observatory, and there are multiple different versions of them like the Grand Star

We don't get that same lore treatment in N64 (there are only silver stars) or any other games outside of Galaxy, all that we know is that Bowser is using the Power Stars to take over the painting worlds and that we need to collect the Power Stars in order to unlock the Bowser levels.

And also to ask, if the Power Stars between the games were the same, then in SMG2 why didn't Lubba just go and use the ones from Peach's castle to power the Starship? Assuming Mario had collected all 120 (to 150 if counting 64 DS) of them, Lubba would have more than enough to go straight to Bowser! But that doesn't happen.

Now, in a previous thread when I posed this issue the answer that I got was PIS or that Rosalina wouldn't have knowledge of the Power Stars in the castle; well to that I say, there's really no way she couldn't. You have Mario, the one who collected all the power stars, and several toads from the castle on the Starship, and you're saying they haven't even made a passing mention on the castle's power stars? They literally are right by the power source! There's no way they couldn't at least say "Oh, this Starship runs on Power Stars, just like how Peach's castle has Power Stars."

And to add, when Bowser took Peach's Castle in SMG1, did he use the Power Stars in the castle or no? He had just before stolen the Power Stars from the Observatory which would make his total number of Power Stars at is disposal at 240-270 Power Stars (223-263 if only counting regular Power Stars), but you only collect 120 power stars? And they are only the Comet Observatory's Power Stars?

The answer to all these questions are simple, the power stars in n64 and Galaxy are not the same, and the n64 Power stars would not work for the comet Starship or not provide enough power for it.

And also for my conjecture I don't think Bowser used the Castle's Power Stars since he didn't take the Castle in SMG2, only Peach. Now it could have been possible for Bowser to have taken the Power Stars from the Castle without taking the Castle itself, but like in SMG1 we only collect 120 Power Stars, and we see Bowser trying get more Power Stars via the Comet Observatory, so the question is would he need to get more Power Stars if he already had 120 of them to use? I think no...

Yes, I know in Galaxy's intro we see Toads finding a Grand Stars, but how long has it been since that Grand Star was found? A couple of centuries? A milennium? Whose to say they haven't used up the Grand Star's power up by then? And we don't see the Grand Star in Mario 64 anyway, and there's nothing the relates to n4's power stars to that Grand Star, so it's inconsequential.

From this, I propose we make two keys for Power Stars, one for Mario 64 (and other games) and another for Galaxy

As for the power of Power Stars and lumas in Galaxy, well it's not as cracked up to be. Now before anyone goes into a nerd rage, yes, I do support High 4-C lumas and power stars (keep in ming I'm not talking about Grand Stars), Power Stars are considered the mature form of lumas, and it's supported in the Japanese text that lumas can turn into Suns which I will show and break down here (as a warning some words I couldn't translate)

この星はとてもなつかしいにおいがするのです。百年の一度チコたちと訪れることがとても楽しみだったあなたの中にいるチコもいずれ成長し「スター/星」のないます。あるものは惑星になり…あるものは太陽のそしてあるものはパワースターにまります。わたしは、彼らが生まれかわれる場所を求めるともに旅をしているのです。それが、こんなことになんて…

この - this (something or someone close in posotion to the speaker (including the speaker), or ideas expressed by the speaker)

星 - star (usu. not including the Sun) or planet (usu. not including Earth); heavenly body

は - Particle that marks the topic of a sentence

とても - very; awfully; exceedingly

なつかしい - dear (old); fondly-remembered; beloved; missed; nostalgic

におい - aura; whiff; smacks of ...; sense; flavour; flavor (Not sure about this)

が - indicates sentence subject (occasionally object)

するのです - (Need to be translated)

百年 - century; hundred years

の - Particle that is used to indicate 'of'

一度 - once

チコたち - all lumas

と - Particle that is used to indicate 'if/and/with'

訪れる - to visit

こと - (uncertain translation)

とても - very; awfully; exceedingly

楽しみ - enjoyment; pleasure; diversion; amusement; hobby

だった - was; were

あなた - you?

中に - inside (It describes how another entity relates to the inside of X)

いる - to be (of animate objects); to exist

チコ - luma

も - too; also; in addition; as well

いずれ - where; which; who

成長し - growth; development; growing up; becoming an adult

「スター/星」- Star

ないます - (certain translation)

ある - determiner meaning a certain ...; some (uncertain translation)

もの - (uncertain translation)

惑星 - planet

に - Particle that marks the person or thing that receives the object

なり- or something; for instance ... (though there are other suitable options)

太陽 - Sun

そして - conjuction for and; and then; thus; and now; and finally

パワースター - Power Star

にまります - (uncertain translation)

わたし - Pronoun for I

彼ら - pronoun for they; them

生まれ - birth; birthplace

かわれる - (uncertain translation)

場所 - place; location; spot; position

を - Particle that marks the object of the verb

求める - to want; to wish for

とも - (uncertain translation)

旅 - travel; trip; journey

している - inflection of 'する'/to do

です - to be/is

それ - indicating an item or person near the listener, the action of the listener, or something on their mind

が、- indicates sentence subject (occasionally object)

こんな - this sort of; this kind of; like this; such

こと - (uncertain translation)

なんて - things like; something like; someone like; such a thing as; (the fact) that; to think that

If anyone here is willing to look at this to mess to translate it properly, I'll be more than happy

But back to the point, it is definitely evident that regular power stars (and my extension lumas) are large star level, however I'm not sure if galaxy level could really fit for them. Yes we see hungry lumas turning into galaxies, but the "galaxies" they turn into aren't necessarily what we've at VS Battles defined as galaxy according to the AP page, they aren't nearly they size of the Milky Way anyway. So I'm not sure if that justification is correct. I downgrade for regular power stars should be needed.

And if this is possible, I think it maybe warrented to change 'With the Power Star' for Mario to 'With the Baby/Little Luma' since it can explain Mario being able to traverse space at MFTL+ speeds and use the Spin, and also in SMG2 Bowser says he acquired the Power of the Stars which did amp him which would apply the same for the Little Luma for Mario. Not I've been argued that it could only have happened in SMG2 but the ending of SMG did an Alien X to reset the universe to right before the events of SMG with only Mario, Rosalina, and a couple of Lumas (most likely including the Little Luma) knowing what really happened. If you don't believe me, well event happen again like the Star Festival when 100 years definite have not passed and te founding of the Toad Brigade. So to ask, why would the Little Luma amp Mario in one game but not the other? If the Little Luma is in both games and remembers the experiences it had in SMG, wouldn't Occum's Razor suggest that the Little Luma amped Mario in both games? It doesn't make sense why the Little Luma would withhold power from Mario, if the Little Luma remembers the experience it should have amped Mario in both Galaxy games.

Also for more proof, she says this in a dialogue screen of the Japanese SMG:

大切な人を取り戻すには星々をわたる力が必要です あなたに星の子/チコをお貸ししょう

大切な (taisetsu na), precious/important

人 (hito), person

を (o), this is used to mark the object that a verb will act on (in this case the object is the important person)

取り戻す (torimodosu) (this is the verb), to take/get back

には (niwa), in order to

星々 (hoshiboshi), stars

を - (o), again used to mark the object that will be acted on by a verb (in this case the stars will be acted on by the verb after it)

わたる - (wataru), to cross over/go across

力 - (chikara), power

が - (ga) marked the subject in this case power (力) is the subject

必要 - (hitsuyou), required, needed

です - (desu) is

あなた - you

に - Particle that marks the person or thing that receives the object (あなた)

星の子/チコ - luma

お貸ししょう - inflection of 'to lend'

Notice how she uses the kanji '力' and uses the kun reading 'ちから', this means a couple of different things including 'force, strength, might, vigour, vigor, energy, capability, ability, proficiency, capacity, faculty, efficacy, effect, effort, endeavours, endeavors, exertions, power, authority, influence, good offices, agency, support, help, aid, assistance, stress, emphasis, means, resources'

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that there are some things I forgot about, so I've decided to fix my explaination up

Last edited:
Following but I likely wouldn't be able to provide further arguments for one way or another. I have been questioning whether N64 Power Stars and Galaxy Power Stars are the same thing.

Now, in a previous thread when I posed this the answer that I got was PIS or that Rosalina wouldn't have knowledge of the Power Stars in the castle;
I'm not sure I like that use of "PIS". From what I know, the only thing supporting their connection is their name and looks. Other than that, I don't recall any in lore reasoning for N64 and Galaxy's Power Stars being the same thing.

Reading the OP's is a litteral pain. You can just put the full translation and only draw attention to the one specific point you want to make. No need to break down what 人 or です mean.

There's literally no reason for thinking these are separate at all. I will never understand this. They're called Power Stars and do the same things (powering up structures like the Castle and Observatory, transports Mario outside levels, etc) and there's nothing that explicitly shows us they're different and that we need to even doubt they're different. Galaxy just gave us lore on the Power Stars and how they came to be found on the planet. Mario 64's lack of plot if anything actually helps it out because we had no backstory at all on what the hell Power Stars were, which Galaxy provides for us.

Even if Rosalina knew of the Castle's Power Stars in the first Galaxy her ship was already depowered and Peach's Castle gets whisked away into space. She had no time to really ask Peach for aid and by the time she could the Castle was already in danger and being taken away, and at that point what was she gonna do? She also wouldn't just take the Stars without permission.

In general this is just nonsense and overcomplicates things.

Galaxy just gave us lore on the Power Stars and how they came to be found on the planet
I explained above how that's not the case
They're called Power Stars and do the same things (powering up structures like the Castle and Observatory, transports Mario outside levels, etc)
Lore separates Galaxy Power Stars from n64 Power Stars, those are really the only reasons they're considered the same, I'd like to see more

I'll repeat what I said above:

If the Power Stars between the games were the same, then why didn't Rosalina just use the ones from Peach's castle to power the observatory? Assuming Mario had collected all 120 (to 150 if counting 64 DS) of them, Rosalina would have more than enough to go straight to Bowser! But that doesn't happen.

Now, in a previous thread when I posed this issue the answer that I got was PIS or that Rosalina wouldn't have knowledge of the Power Stars in the castle; well to that I say, there's really no way she couldn't. You have Mario, the one who collected all the power stars, and several toads from the castle on the observatory, and you're saying they haven't even made a passing mention on the castle's power stars? They literally are right by the power source! There's no way they couldn't at least say "Oh, this observatory runs on Power Stars, just like how Peach's castle has Power Stars."

The answer to all these questions are simple, the power stars in n64 and Galaxy are not the same, and the n64 Power stars would not work for the comet observatory or not provide enough power for it.

Can you not use google translate for controversial stuff like this?

Also, them having new lore in galaxy doesn't make them different

Even though I don't exactly trust machine translators, I decided to try DeepL out for the texts in the OP

この星はとてもなつかしいにおいがするのです

This planet smells so familiar.

百年の一度チコたちと訪れることがとても楽しみだったあなたの中にいるチコもいずれ成長し「スター/星」のないます

I was looking forward to visiting with Chico/Lumas and his friends once in a hundred years, and I hope that the Chico/Lumas inside you will eventually grow up and become a star.

あるものは惑星になり…あるものは太陽のそしてあるものはパワースターにまります

Some of them will become planets... some of them will become suns, and some of them will become power stars.

わたしは、彼らが生まれかわれる場所を求めるともに旅をしているのです

I am on a journey with them to find a place where they can be reborn.

それが、こんなことになんて…

I can't believe this is happening to me.

大切な人を取り戻すには星々をわたる力が必要です

To get your loved ones back, you need the power to cross the stars.

あなたに星の子/チコをお貸ししょう

I'll lend you my star child/Chico/Luma

You ignored fox's point about how bowser already stole the castle even then can we prove 64 happened first.

Sorry I didn't see that, but even then SMG reset everything leaving the characters to only remember the events of SMG2, and Bowser didn't take the castle then

I get why rosalina would know but why would Lubba. Also if I recall starship mario never reached the mushroom kingdom Mario used a launch star to get to the ship.

Last edited:
There is no reason for a Galaxy tier and to separate these no matter how hard you try to argue. Sorry but it's not gonna happen. I'm not gonna involve myself in this thread any longer.

No other verse would have this being questioned. They are literally one in the same. Power Stars should be downgraded though. But Gyro seems to want to keep the 3-C scaling as little sense as it makes.

It's a main series Mario game they are full of it but besides that why would the toads know I don't think it is exactly common knowledge.

What even proves the hundred or so power stars are in the castle (isn't peach's castle design is different in galaxy, galaxy 2 than 64?) during the plot of galaxy, galaxy 2? They could've been moved for all we know really.

Back