• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Broly Upgrade

In the first dragon ball movie featuring broly, it is stated that he destroyed the south galaxy, and the wiki states this too, despite this broly is listed at 4-C, is there any reason why he's at 4-C?

The dragon ball wiki also supports that he destroyed the south galaxy

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/South_Galaxy

In fact, the south galaxy refers to a quadrant, which would make broly's feat of destroying the south galaxy likely multi galaxy level since he destroyed about a quarter of the universe. Feel free to correct me about this, but why is broly at 4-C?

Pretty sure we regarded this as an outlier due to goku and rest only being like star level yet their combined powers could beat broly, think the reasoning was something like that.

@Vastolor

1) Was a timeframe given? If he did it over time that wouldn't really qualify.

2) Even if he did destroy a galaxy in its entirety, it would be an outlier since Goku and Co. would have been splattered due to the power difference otherwise.

So checked the page he is only possibly 4-A, reasoning:

"Broly doesn't particularly make sense as a character, as his story is so inconsistent. On the one hand, he was claimed to have destroyed large parts of a galaxy, which would logically require Multi-Solar System level power for the given timeframe. On the other hand, this claim was not apparent from the rest of the movie, as regular amounts of surrounding stars were shown, and the character was apparently killed simply from a combined attack from the Z-fighters propelling him into a star"

Movies exist in a separate continuity from Dragon Ball Z so, in a twisted sort of way, it is NOT an outlier that broly was defeated by the combined powers of the Z fighters. This would mean that it's very possible the Z-Fighters are far stronger than their cannon counterparts. And in regards to the timeframe, Broly likely destroyed the quadrant of the universe in a span of 30 years, as that is the given timeframe between his departure from planet vegeta and seeing Goku again.

Edit: Broly destroyed the quadrant while under Paragus control so it was more than likely he did this in a SEVERELY weakened state (super saiyan A type).

They did, but according the movie, broly had destroyed all other life in the south galaxy. which is why they say he "destroyed" it, but it's more like he destroyed everything inside it. Keep in mind, the south Galaxy is a quadrant of the universe in DB.

Edit: in response to the star level durability claim, that was broly in a different movie, I'm simply referring to the first movie, as toriyama's writing is too inconsistent and for all we know, these two movies are completely separate from eachother in terms of how toriyama sees them.

Keep in mind, wiping out everything else in a quarter of the universe besides the new vegeta and it's surrounding life is an incredible feat, even if it is within 30 years. In that 30 years time he'd have to be destroying mutliple galaxies at a time.

"Even if he did destroy a galaxy in its entirety, it would be an outlier since Goku and Co. would have been splattered due to the power difference otherwise."

To be fair, they were getting utterly mauled before Broly got hit with the PIS stick.

I'm pretty sure SD was going to make a thread on this.

Ye, I was mostly going to ask to change the reasoning as:

- It would take millions of years for the stars relative to the planet to disappear.

- Being killed by the sun's core is an 8-A or lower anti-feat, so it would be considered as PIS and not count at all.

I dropped the thread since I couldn't get a calc on Cell's self-destruction power, though I should probably redo it.

@Vasto

Destroying a galaxy is just Galaxy level, and the four galaxy quadrant DB universe model has been retconned a long time ago.

Movies are in a separate continuity, so I'm not entirely sure if the retcon applies in this context. Kinda like how the potara retcon didn't stop Vegito's fight with Buu from lasting more than hour in terms of screentime.

I agree with Rep. It seems too fishy to be applied when stuff contradicts it and we have absolutely no idea how long it took broly to destroy what he did anyway. If we're not gonna apply the same logic to Buu, then Broly shouldnt be any different.

I figured we should since movies are stated to be in a separate continuity, meanwhile the buu saga is stated to be canon with the story. Also, we do have a timeframe, it's give that the timeframe between broly's meeting with goku happened 30 years from when they were babies, meaning his galactic destruction occured at MAXIMUM within that timeframe.

Pretty sure 30 years is a long period of time to do a feat. Heck Buu did the same thing in a much shorter timeframe, a fear years, and we don't accept him as galaxy level. Broly shouldnt be any different honestly.

Well, we do accept anime Buu as 4-A for destroying a galaxy within a short period of time, and the same would technically go for Broly.

I agree that the stars not disappearing, and dying inside of a star may be bad rationales. Perhaps we should give Broly a straight 4-A rating?

Yes, we rate Buu's profile statistics from the manga, but also scale anime only characters from Buu's anime feat.

There's no real evidence that the Z Fighters are stronger than in the Cell Saga in this movie. They looked exactly the same and Gohan didn't even have SSJ2 in that movie.

Also, the South Galaxy was literally only a Galaxy, back when DB was only 4 Galaxies big, it was retconned to Quadrants long after this.

In Broly's Second Coming, he came back even stronger and STILL lost to Buu Saga Gohan (who's weaker than Cell Saga Gohan), Goten (who's about as strong as Frieza as stated in Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return) and Goku (just SSJ Goku, no SSJ2 or SSJ3).

So Broly being Galaxy Level is completely inconsistent in my opinion. Unless Frieza and SSJ Goku at the time where 3-C already :p

That is also a good point. However, I have seen it mentioned that the movies are in their own separate continuity, not quite related to the anime.

We never accepted Mammoth Mogul's feat of "destroying multiverse zones" as anything higher than 2-C in Archie Sonic despite later saying that several versions of Tails came from "different multiverses". And said that the "multiverse" was restored afterwards.

These can be interpreted as 2-B or 2-A but we only went for the 2-C because it was inconsistent with the terms and timeframe. But at least we had SOMETHING to work with. Actually depictions of him destroying the zones, different versions of Tails, narration from the comics. But nothing in this scenario.

Other than "The South Galaxy was destoryed" speech there's nothing else depicting Broly can perform anything close to that. He died not once, but TWICE to people who weren't even Solar System Level at the time.

So sorry, I really don't see how we can accept this.

@Antvasima

True, but unless we have actual evidence that they are that strong at this point, I don't think this would work.

Assuming that one thing is true because we assume another thing is not good reasoning, not without good evidence.

Actually Broly lost to A gohan who was stronger then canon gohan. Gohan in that movie was training and even states it.

But not enough to be considered 4-A or 3-C. Remember Goten and Goku were involved and greatly helped Gohan and neither were shown to be much stronger than in the current canon timeline. Goku didn't even have SSJ2 or SSJ3 at that point.

Also, just because he was training doesn't mean he's stronger. He could have been trying to get back in shape.

@Marvel

You seem to be missing the fact that Broly being defeated by the Z-Fighters, both times, is PIS regardless of his tier. He was utterly demolishing the Z-Fighters in both fights but then some combination of their power defeats him in seconds.

@Marvel

I don't think combining their power would close a power difference of billions of times.

@Reppuzan

True, I'll give you that, but I still feel off about this, even with the reason and evidence shown, but if it's fine with everyone else, I'm fine with it.

@Huesito88

Well, this can be used to put Broly at least at 4-B then.

Regarding the south Galaxy statement, the South Kai DID state that his galaxy was destroyed by broly, and if anything it would be incredibly inconsistent for him to be lying about that, considering he didn't lie about Broly, and if Broly didn't destroy it, he'd have no reason to call.

MarvelFanatic119 said:
@Everlasting
Ah that is true. Though I feel as could be that their combined power was greater than their individual strength.
Thing is, they were also drastically weakened after suffering such a big thrashing from Broly.

Them combining their weakened power to easily kill Broly is PIS whether he's High 4-C or 4-A.

Every movie has his own continuity, which can follow the anime continuity [Since the movie characters speeds are based from Anime Piccolo Moon Bust to Broly travelling in space. King Vegeta, who was present at the start of the movie, in the anime filler busted several planets with ease, which can put the likes of Dr. Wheelo, Turles and etc. at 5-A or worse by counting Anime Vegeta busting aria to Frieza non-canon supernova.] and has sequels [It's likely that in both movies except the third Broly was 4-A and was defeated by PIS].

Hmmm maybe I should re-calc Aria since his lowball (Pluto sized) is not what we would do (Earth sized).

But yeah, both times it was PIS even if he was High 4-C or 4-B.

Also i'm curious if Dragon Ball Z Anime Frieza supernova is actually stronger or weaker than Dragon Ball Super Frieza supernova.

Back