• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon: Nearly Everything is Canon

the split wasn't a cannon one, all the games anime, etc are still in the same "canon" we just stopped cross scaling alternate universes from one another

But I don't understand why the different continuities sharing a similar setting means cross scaling is okay. Its not like every different continuity functions exactly the same
Bro I literally already went over this.
The canon split left the pokedex entries as canon for every continuity since they are the exact same across all of them for the same Pokemon.
What this means in actuality is that in-verse scientists researched the same Pokemom and ended up reaching the exact same results.
If scientists which have futuristic tech, energy reading tech and more get to the same conclusion as scientists from another continuity, many of which include important AP feats, it would only make sense to say that the Pokemon aren't different.

Additionally the only thing that the split really does is make their AP scaling slightly different and completely nuke any proper visual depiction of moves, making them only harder to index. There's also changes to speed scaling (albeit I'm pretty sure both anime and games scale to FTL with similar feats with final evos and to lightning speed for lower evos) but the only reason why there's any change at all is because of a lack of feats for one continuity, not because there's a drastic difference between them.

TL;DR: the species are indexed the same exact way across all continuity by scientists with futuristic tech which includes indexing of AP feats.
The scaling differences relie not on drastic differences in feats but on a lack of feats in a continuity.

With all continuities enabled we will be able to see the whole picture as we'll be getting supporting feats across the verse and thus a proper scaling.

So yes actually, every continuity does technically function exactly the same, they are literally described in the same exact way and all rely on the same type of pokemon battles.

Well, people die eventually
There's also Rayquaza and Black Rayquaza.
Different Hoopas.
Pretty certain there are several of the Koraidon and Miraidon species but don't quote me on that.
There's tons of Melmetals
There's tons of Shaymin.

Basically anyone who doesn't rely on hyper specific lore usually has more than 1 naturally occuring entity.

There's also Rayquaza and Black Rayquaza.
Interdimensional shenanigans
Different Hoopas.
Same Hoopa, 2 bodies.
Pretty certain there are several of the Koraidon and Miraidon species but don't quote me on that.
Koraidon and Miraidon are technically just past and future Cyclizar iirc.
There's tons of Melmetals
Not anymore, but yeah.
There's tons of Shaymin.
There are like 4, yeah.
Basically anyone who doesn't rely on hyper specific lore usually has more than 1 naturally occuring entity.
Some of them do, yes.

Interdimensional shenanigans
Talking about latest anime rn
Same Hoopa, 2 bodies.
Forgor
Koraidon and Miraidon are technically just past and future Cyclizar iirc.
Still legendary
Not anymore, but yeah.
Pretty sure they were classified as a species
Some of them do, yes.
I think as long as they don't have specific lore reason to exist (Like Yveltal and Xerneas) they are a species most of the time

Anyway, here's some more examples:

Entei's Pokédex entry in Silver states "It is said that one is born every time a new volcano appears," which is most likely just referring to a legend.

Terapagos is heavily implied to be part of a near-extinct species that was once very much not extinct.

Kubfu and Urshifu are legendary for some reason.

On Kanto Route 15, you can see Articuno flying through the sky even if you've already caught one.

In LGPE, you can catch multiple copies of the Legendary Birds.

Type:Null and Silvally are legendary for some reason.

Battle Frontier

Shiny versions of the Legendary Beasts appear in the Zoroark movie

And more!

Lugia I’m aware of because of it reproducing. Do we ever see more than 1 version of the bird trio on screen together in the anime?
in the anime no but there's the articuno example Slendy gave above and there's the fact that galarian bird trio exist meaning they had to adapt to Galar similar to how other pokemon did

in the anime no but there's the articuno example Slendy gave above and there's the fact that galarian bird trio exist meaning they had to adapt to Galar similar to how other pokemon did
To be somewhat fair arent Galarian variants supposed to be treated as their own separate species technically?

The Articuno example I see, though.

To be somewhat fair arent Galarian variants supposed to be treated as their own separate species technically?

The Articuno example I see, though.
not really, the variant pokemon are just a pokemon species that adapted to an enviroment it lives in. In this case, the birds adapted to the Crown Tundra.

not really, the variant pokemon are just a pokemon species that adapted to an enviroment it lives in. In this case, the birds adapted to the Crown Tundra.
I think that's frankly a little stupid on the devs end, why does ARTICUNO have to adapt to the tundra?

idk man it just did. It is a regional variant. Guess it adapted to a way of hunting rather than resistance to cold?
I guess.

I think it might also just be a different thing, like an offshoot of a seperate original species, because they do seem to exist simultaneously, and get their names regardless of each other.

I guess.

I think it might also just be a different thing, like an offshoot of a seperate original species, because they do seem to exist simultaneously, and get their names regardless of each other.
well either way there's too much to theorize so i'll just stick to how all other regional variants work for now.

So to give my opinion on the legendary scaling aspect of this, I believe it would be a more effective approach to treat them on a case by case basis, since not even all legendaries have the same power scaling confusions as others.

Back before splitting the canons was done, to my memory, we tiered legendaries according to the general depiction of them across all medias and took the most consistent depiction of them out of said medias, to determine if them being X tier for Y reasons was solid, or if it was inconsistent, and why for either/or. That kind of approach could be done for each legendary and they can be tiered a certain way depending on their particular case.

Back