• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mega Rayquaza downgrade

Mega Evolving with a great sum of wishes is also self-contradictory as a requirement, given that there's various showings of that not being the case. Just looking around shows Mega Ray mega evolving with just the help of a trainer (or no trainers at all) in various forms of media.

Wild Pokemon mega evolving is also not a unique case, Mewtwo does as much in the Genesect movie if memory serves.
Mewtwo and Rayquaza are the only cases to my knowledge, and again, I'm really not sure how to handle those. As for the first part, technically that is true, but unlike with random wild Pokemon Mega Evolving on cue, there's an actual lore reason for it so I'm less inclined to write that one off.
Provided that theory is correct, provided it's made of the exact same material as mega stones, with the same density of power, provided Rayquaza has full access to that power despite having digested that stone rather than holding it freely, there's a lot of assumptions here. And if he did have that power at his disposal, why would he also need to know Dragon Ascent to unlock that mega evolution, which normal pokemon do not need?
I'd consider needing Dragon Ascent a game mechanic since that's not what facilitates the Mega Evolution in lore. Rather, it's Rayquaza's consumption of the Meteorite.

As for the assumptions... For starters, if we're talking about theories that need to be verified, the same would be true for the theory about Mega Stones being illuminated by the X/Y legends. The ORAS one seems to hold more weight since consuming a meteorite facilitates Rayquaza's Mega Evolution, without it needing a Mega Stone. As for being of the same material, Archie and Maxie mention at the end of the Delta Episode that the meteorites can be turned into Mega Stones and Key Stones, which would indicate that they're made of the same material and have the same density, since that means the meteorites and Mega Stones can both facilitate Mega Evolution. Rayquaza digesting it would mean it absorbed all that Mega Evolution energy, which should give it full access to that power.

Given different mega stones work on different pokemon I am not sure we can say it can use all the power of the meteor.

Given different mega stones work on different pokemon I am not sure we can say it can use all the power of the meteor.
I don't really think that actually changes anything regarding the meteorites...

Like, objectively, it's confirmed that meteorites can be turned into Mega Stones and Key Stones

As for the assumptions... For starters, if we're talking about theories that need to be verified, the same would be true for the theory about Mega Stones being illuminated by the X/Y legends. The ORAS one seems to hold more weight since consuming a meteorite facilitates Rayquaza's Mega Evolution, without it needing a Mega Stone. As for being of the same material, Archie and Maxie mention at the end of the Delta Episode that the meteorites can be turned into Mega Stones and Key Stones, which would indicate that they're made of the same material and have the same density, since that means the meteorites and Mega Stones can both facilitate Mega Evolution.
I see it the opposite way, actually. If it needs to be turned into Mega/Key stones, that means it's not as efficient by default, otherwise all you'd need to do is chop off a handful.
Rayquaza digesting it would mean it absorbed all that Mega Evolution energy, which should give it full access to that power.
I was going to disagree with this assumption, but here's this bit from Zinnia: "Swallowing meteorites allows it to store as much power as a Mega Stone. Your Meteorite summoned forth the power needed for Rayquaza to Mega Evolve!"

It's equal to a normal mega stone, nothing more, nothing less.
'd consider needing Dragon Ascent a game mechanic since that's not what facilitates the Mega Evolution in lore. Rather, it's Rayquaza's consumption of the Meteorite.
Also Zinnia: "...You will be successor to our long history now. And I pass to you the final key to Rayquaza’s true power. The move that only it can learn: Dragon Ascent..."

I was going to disagree with this assumption, but here's this bit from Zinnia: "Swallowing meteorites allows it to store as much power as a Mega Stone. Your Meteorite summoned forth the power needed for Rayquaza to Mega Evolve!"
She also compared May/Brendan's meteorite to a mega stone, and we know from lore that Rayquaza has several dormant meteorites inside of it. The lore also states that Mega Ray is "born of mankind's wish and the power of the stones". Plural. Unless we assume that the meteorites have absolutely no power inside of them, in which case why did it need so much of this power to mega evolve in the first place?

Also re. the Dragon's Ascent stuff, I would say that having to jump through more hoops to obtain the evolution is another point in favour of it being more potent than a regular evolution.

That goes off the notion that Beedrill is weak compared to other fully evolved Pokemon, which the profile doesn’t really provide any evidence for, nor is there any reason to assume such a thing as far as I know.
Ok this is pretty circumstantial, since stuff like a beedrill battling a second stage pokemon/fully evolved pokemon depends on too many factors to be reliable. In the Johto bug catching contest, the goal is to
"Go out and catch the strongest bug POKEMON you can find!"
The score depends on how much you weaken the pokemon and its individual values, but also depends on the species of Pokemon. Weak Pokemon like Caterpie, the cocoons and weak first stage bugs get a score of 60, Beedrill, Butterfree and a few other Pokemon like Paras and Venonat get a score of 80 and Scyther/Pinsir get a score of 100, which are coincidentally the only bugs there comparable to fully evolved Pokemon. If you accept that the entire purpose of the bug-catching contest is in fact to catch the strongest bug, then this is an indicator of scale.

Allow me to understand, is Rayquaza scaling above Mewtwo due to his performance vs Deoxys in the movie being better than Mewtwo's in Special Adventures? Do I get it right?

She also compared May/Brendan's meteorite to a mega stone, and we know from lore that Rayquaza has several dormant meteorites inside of it. The lore also states that Mega Ray is "born of mankind's wish and the power of the stones". Plural. Unless we assume that the meteorites have absolutely no power inside of them, in which case why did it need so much of this power to mega evolve in the first place?
The statement is pretty explicit about the fact that eating all of the meteorites gives him as much power as a mega stone. It seems pretty silly to say that they each give him just as much as one, when there's a direct statement of the contrary and we have absolutely no idea how effective the energy conversion is for eating them.

I think it's silly to focus on the mankind's wish stuff from some piece of tertiary media when that is repeatedly ignored in much more major works and clearly something exclusive to the manga. If we're still treating pokemon as a composite we should look at the big picture, not at just one instance. And as I've mentioned, the requirements for Mega Rayquaza are very inconsistent.
Also re. the Dragon's Ascent stuff, I would say that having to jump through more hoops to obtain the evolution is another point in favour of it being more potent than a regular evolution.
That just seems like a guess to me either way. You could see it as being a greater requirement because the power is greater or you could see the need for multiple requirements as necessary because none of them pass the threshold, or it's just unrelated to the power given. I don't see a reason to assume either way, and I definitely don't see a reason to go with the high-ball assumption.

I think it's silly to focus on the mankind's wish stuff from some piece of tertiary media when that is repeatedly ignored in much more major works and clearly something exclusive to the manga. If we're still treating pokemon as a composite we should look at the big picture, not at just one instance. And as I've mentioned, the requirements for Mega Rayquaza are very inconsistent.
The statement I gave is from the main series games. The fact that the manga supports this interpretation is a point in its favour, not against. And the other statement I gave explicitly says the opposite, that one meteorite has the power of a mega stone. Idk where 'energy conversion via eating' is mentioned, as far as I can tell that's not even tertiary, and the games explicitly states that Rayquaza swallows the meteorites rather than digests them.
That just seems like a guess to me either way. You could see it as being a greater requirement because the power is greater or you could see the need for multiple requirements as necessary because none of them pass the threshold, or it's just unrelated to the power given. I don't see a reason to assume either way, and I definitely don't see a reason to go with the high-ball assumption.
At worst it's unrelated, because the most conservative interpretation of the facts I've laid above is that Rayquaza at least meets the mega evolution threshold. It's circumstantial, sure, but it's hard to look at that and everything else involving Rayquaza's mega evolution and not conclude that it's a
more impressive form.
Allow me to understand, is Rayquaza scaling above Mewtwo due to his performance vs Deoxys in the movie being better than Mewtwo's in Special Adventures? Do I get it right?
I believe so yes,

The statement I gave is from the main series games. The fact that the manga supports this interpretation is a point in its favour, not against. And the other statement I gave explicitly says the opposite, that one meteorite has the power of a mega stone. Idk where 'energy conversion via eating' is mentioned, as far as I can tell that's not even tertiary, and the games explicitly states that Rayquaza swallows the meteorites rather than digests them.
"It flies forever through the ozone layer, consuming meteoroids for sustenance. The many meteoroids in its body provide the energy it needs to Mega Evolve." - Alpha Sapphire Pokedex entry. So no, he very much eats them to feed, and all of them together are needed for Mega Evolution.
At worst it's unrelated, because the most conservative interpretation of the facts I've laid above is that Rayquaza at least meets the mega evolution threshold. It's circumstantial, sure, but it's hard to look at that and everything else involving Rayquaza's mega evolution and not conclude that it's a
more impressive form.
Obviously he meets the threshold in the end, otherwise he wouldn't be able to do it. But if just the meteorites were enough (let alone each of them being enough individually), then he would absolutely not need Dragon Ascent or the other stuff, so clearly he isn't far beyond it.

Let's all remind ourselves, Rayquaza needs to mega-evolve to stop a meteorite that'll destroy the planet. This isn't an issue of "oh, he could mega even with just the meteors, but he needs to be even more powerful than that", all he needs to do is reach a level of power sufficient to stop a 5-B threat, with nobody even being aware of Deoxys' presence.

Back