• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon: Nearly Everything is Canon

Bobsican

He/Him
As some may recall, years ago a sort of canon split was done across all Pokémon media, considering each series, including the manga and animes, as separate canons.

However, the reasons for this are questionable and simply go against the overall way the canon for the series works.

There are these two docs covering the entire reasonings for the separation and their debunks, and overall this'd be making nearly all games, the animes and the mangas canon for indexing purposes, worth reiterating that this is more of a case of stuff across different timelines having similar traits to consider equal, rather than every single thing happening in the same universe, before arguments involving how X and Y can't coexist in the same universe start being brought up.

Also, the following games still wouldn't be canon as they provide no lore:

Pokémon Shuffle
Pokémon Art Academy
Pokémon Picross series
Pokémon Pinball series

Additionally the following isn't usable for different reasons:

Pokémon Mini games (they are regarded as fictional in Pokémon Channel)
Super Smash Bros series (crossover game with lore that makes it explicitly not canon)

aren't we still treating most things as canon and simply not cross scaling pokemon between continuity, but since they are considered to be within the same cosmology, "multiversal" pokemon keep their feats between games

though i recall mystery dungeon being the most significant removal from canon

Read like 30% of the first blog and I think its fair to say they share a very similar setting, but I don't think its enough to do any cross-scaling between continuities. I agree that almost all of Ayewale's arguments are bunk, though

is the fact that Legendaries being composited is basically a given by virtue of what legendaries are intended to be, which are unique entities who are one of kind and aren’t necessarily a “species” to speak of per-say.
This is false. Multiple of the same legendary have appeared in both the games and anime

As I’ve mentioned before, if a Legendary Pokémon showcases something in a given continuity, then it’s logical to conclude that any and every version of that Legendary Pokémon can do it as well.
This isn't even true within the same continuity. An Articuno in Journeys is much stronger than an Articuno from any other episode in the anime (as shown in this fight). I don't think the different continuities sharing many general rules means literally every single thing a legendary does in 1 continuity can be done by the same legendary in every continuity, that's a pretty massive leap in logic

Given that I helped with this blog and it’s arguments, naturally I agree.

This is false. Multiple of the same legendary have appeared in both the games and anime

Multiples of a legendary isn’t exactly really indicative of being a species

This isn't even true within the same continuity. An Articuno in Journeys is much stronger than an Articuno from any other episode in the anime (as shown in this fight). I don't think the different continuities sharing many general rules means literally every single thing a legendary does in 1 continuity can be done by the same legendary in every continuity, that's a pretty massive leap in logic

Correct me if I’m mistaken but I’m not sure what this clip is supposed to entail for this point? Articuno slapping down multiple non-legendaries wouldn’t mean this Articuno is a superior variant to other ones.

gotta ask, are there any cases of legendaries having multiple individuals outside of gameplay? Do the characters ever acknowledge multiple copies of legendaries existing? Especially ancient ones that had a hand in the creation of the world for example?

Correct me if I’m mistaken but I’m not sure what this clip is supposed to entail for this point? Articuno slapping down multiple non-legendaries wouldn’t mean this Articuno is a superior variant to other ones.
...Might wanna take a look at Ash's scaling, for one. It's not at the end of Journeys so it'd be somewhere between his Sun and Moon key and his Journeys key in terms of AP.

Freaking finally. Nobody was gonna properly apply the changes anyways especially since Ayewale never came back to finish the job.

Additionally I'd like to point out that the canon split changed...barely half the scaling excluding legendaries.
All pokedex entries are canon in all the series due to consistency and most of the scaling comes from it anyways. Literally the one feat that was used in main scaling that came from canon is my 7-B Dragonair calc that is now replaced by the 7-A scaling from the main game. The High 7-A calc from the manga was supporting of a pokedex feat and is now supporting of the 6-C Abomasnow feat.

There are changes to speed... Why? Because we just lacked feats for some stages. Literally that's it.

Hell, the cosmology was still shared which means its fully irrelevant to tier 2 and above.

I think that the one thing that might make sense is the legendary scaling but it was done poorly to the point where we got... 2-B Mew and Mewtwo... Yeah that happened. Unironically.

I think if we have issues with legendary scaling we should maybe consider a "varies from X to X" approach

I agree with this. Also:
I think if we have issues with legendary scaling we should maybe consider a "varies from X to X" approach
You can't just slap a varies rating to characters who are inconsistent. There needs to be some explanation as to why it's that way (IE. a power source that can fluctuate in power or being able to create things as strong as they should be)

I agree with this. Also:

You can't just slap a varies rating to characters who are inconsistent. There needs to be some explanation as to why it's that way (IE. a power source that can fluctuate in power or being able to create things as strong as they should be)
I mean we know that legendaries can be of a different level in the games, which directly represents power. Here's your fluctuation - they get stronger by themselves and aren't a constant.

Again, if we're treating these as profiles of the species rather than an individual, then that's your reason

Additionally we know legendaries have appeared in the wild at different levels, like Articuno being lvl 50 in Fire Red and lvl 70 in XY

Also the two articunos are like half an earth's diameter apart from each other so I think it's very much logical that they ain't the same. Either way it shows that they can be of different levels when encountered in the wild.

Back